Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:10 am 

1) Age, location, profession, eBay ID?
36. Madrid-spain, engineer, jamf55

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
Collecting, building and of course solving

3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?

My mother give me one 3x3x3 cube as my christmas present in 1981-1982
I see 25 years after, That exists other puzzles.....oh no, this is the end for me....

4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?
I have built some mods by myself
you can see here
http://www.geocities.com/rubiklikepuzzles/mods.html

5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
over 120 differents puzzles.. you can see too here
http://www.geocities.com/rubiklikepuzzl ... ction.html

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?
I collect plastic twisty puzzles but not all , there are some of them I don´t like, I don´t know why but I don´t like (Obsessions)

7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why?
The first 3x3x3 that my mother give me, and this is the puzzle i learnt by myself how to resolve it.

8) Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay?
Probably magellan, dino mod, magic octaheder, ...

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.

a) square 1 - cube 21
b) magic octaheder
c) 3x3x3
d) megaminx

10) Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies?

Running....sports
My family

11) Is there anything else interesting about yourself that you'd like to share?

I try to solve the puzzles always by myself.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:40 pm 

1) Age, location, profession.
I'm a 27 year old guy from the east bay in the san francisco bay area. I work tech support for gay.com but i myself am straight.

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?

Collecting cool puzzles, learning to solve them, maybe a little modding.

3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?

I saw a 3x3x3 in a store about a year ago. have owned cubes in the past but could never solve. finally decided to hunker down and get it right. I'm learning new sequences here and there, but with the ones i do know i have a fastest timed solve of 1:05, but i've done faster without timing myself. I'm not a speed freak however and am happy with my average of about a minute and 20 seconds.

I write, i have written a novel called the patron saints which i've self published. i ride and maintain my motorcyle. I watch battlestar galactica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:11 am 

I'm a high schooler in Shanghai, China. I have yet to eBay in noticeable amounts. :P

I actually started out as a solver, moved onto half collecting half solving, and now hopefully a third of each. :P

I first picked up a cube 12 years ago, didn't really see one again until 2005.

4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?

I've built a large 2x2x3, Siamese, lots of extended puzzles, 1x2x2, fused, bandaged. Mostly 3x3x3 mods. I hope to, in the near future, make a 2x2x2 with centers, edges only cube, 3x3x5, 2x2x6, and other cuboids.

5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?

I don't have much, maybe 40-50 or so puzzles. Probably bought around $700 worth of cubes.

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?

I only get Rubik's Cube-like and magics.

The oldest puzzle I have currently is my 5x5x5. It's not in the realm of sentimental yet. :P

Maybe extended 5x5x7.

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.

a) 3x3x3
b) Dogic
c) 3x3x3
d) Dogic

Gaming, programming... nothing special.

Nope. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:07 am 

19, Texas (USA), College Student (Microbiology major, music theory/composition minor, possibly mathematics minor later). Don't really use eBay often.

Solving.

May 2006. This was my final year of high school and cubes started coming back, the main propogator being the computer science teacher (who can do it blindfolded). Some of my friends were into it and I picked it up too (just around exam times as well, bad idea!)

N/A

I would say probably 6 3x3x3's and 1 4x4x4. Some of the 3x3x3 are my younger sister's whom I have taught how to solve using LBL. We are working on Petrus together now in the following days =D

Mostly, I don't want to spend TOO much time and money on this stuff. I'm satisfied with just having 2x2 to 5x5 cubes and maybe a skewb. We only have so many 3x3x3 because some got really stiff and on other the stickers came off (this was before I learned of CubeSmith).

Probably my first 3x3x3 (which is now a complete wreck of peeling stickers). Just because it was my first.

N/A. But I suppose my 4x4x4 since it's more expensive than 3x3x3 =D

a) Well I can only do 3x and 4x. I am torn between the two I guess. b) 5x looks real nice to me. c) 3x d) 3x. 4x isn't really that much harder especially since I set it up like a 3x to solve.

I am very much into writing and composing all types of music. Electronic composition, extreme metal, classical, atonal, jazz, Eastern music, Spanish etc. I play the guitar (classical and electric) and piano. Learning music theory is what I spend my time doing. Especially in sound acoustics and tuning/temperament systems.

I enjoy building polyhedra out of paper. Kind of a weird hobby I guess. Video games have been a big part of my life for a long time. Not so much anymore but I still enjoy a few now and then.

Religions, philosophy, psychology and the like are also of interest to me. I am also a fan of pretty much all the music I compose but unusual in that I am one of the only people I know personally who listens to death metal and black metal, but also likes so many other styles as well. I read books when I get time but I've been pretty busy lately.

And of course I like science and mathematics quite a bit as well. Not quite as much as everything else but I do enjoy learning about it.

Not really. I don't know if anyone will read all this but if anyone has any other questions feel free to ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:23 am 

It's funny - I've been here for a loooong time but I've never posted in this topic.

I'm a high school student (college next year), I'm 17 now, and I live about twenty miles from New York City.

I'd say it's half solving and half everything. Nowadays I'm more into speedsolving (of every twisty puzzle I have) but I've been seriously interested in collecting, building, mathematical models of twisty puzzles, theoretical mods, twisty-puzzles programming, and many more things.

I'd say I've been interested in twisty puzzles for about two and a half years, maybe a little more. I don't think I ever really stopped being interested since the start, but my low point was about a year to a year and a half ago, when nothing seemed to be going on and it was difficult to get puzzles. But with the arrival of a cuber at my school, with the steadily increasing availability of twisty puzzles, and with the more and more exciting mods that started being created, I couldn't help but start cubing, thinking, and reading, and I think I'm more serious about twisty puzzles than I ever was before.

As of now, I've only built one puzzle, which was a Fused Cube (two Rubik's Cubes joined by a 2x2x2 block, where the center spindles have been glued together). I'm in the middle of a Mastermorphix, but I have a lot of other projects going on at the moment.

Maybe 50-60 total puzzles, and about 30-40 if you don't count puzzles that are the same up to variations in size and color. It's probably worth about $500, but much, much more in sentimental/speedcubing value, because I try to make sure that my puzzles continue to move well and look good.

I'm more interested in the types of puzzles available than in the variations within a type, so it's more important to me to get a new puzzle rather than a new variation. That means that I won't make an effort to get puzzles like 3x3x3s with logo stickers (from sports teams, restaurants, companies, etc.) unless they are easier to acquire or use than the current versions.

It's hard for me to choose between my Alexander's Star, which apparently turns better than practically every other one, and my Eastsheen 5x5x5, which I got back in 2005 but which has worked perfectly ever since.

Either my Meffert's Dogic ($39 new) or my old-style Rubik's World. Maybe the Alexander's Star, if they've gone up in price, and possibly the Fused Cube depending on how much people are willing to pay for comparatively simple mods. I probably won't spend a huge amount of money on a single puzzle...

a) 5x5x5 (Eastsheen). I just love this thing. It's complicated enough to pose a real challenge, but it doesn't take too long to solve.
b) Alexander's Star. It looks crazy and pointed, and the solved state seems to be scrambled at a casual glance.
c) 3x3x3. There's really nothing like a speedcube.
d) Square-1. Its positions don't form a group, parity algorithms are monstrously long, and even slight modifications make the puzzle much more difficult.
e) Can't say.

A short and abridged list: math (this one's BIG), programming/computers, video games (mostly speed/skill games), origami/sculpture/art/music, linguistics/cryptography, cats...

I know a lot about math and twisty puzzles, and I love to give help to anyone who needs it. I also love experimenting and trying new things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:30 pm 

My name is Patrick, currently a Senior in HS. I live in Colorado, USA. eBay ID: pjksportscards--johnkelly

Probably solving 3x3 BLD is my favorite.

A little over a year.

I have 3 3x3's, 2 4x4's, 2 5x5's, a couple magics, a snake, a brain, a square-1, and a few other odd-ball puzzles. I'd guess it is worth a little over $150.

I like all puzzles ;)

My 3x3, since I started with it and have put the most time into it.

Probably my 5x5's.

A. 3x3
B. 5x5
C. 3x3
C. 5x5
E. Magic

Website design and development, juggling, chess, spending time w/ my family.

No, haha. I run http://www.cleancomputerhelp , http://www.pjkcubed.com , http://www.rubiks.has.it and many more ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:33 am 

Location: Enschede, The Netherlands, First room on the left on the 2nd floor.
I'm Erik (Akkersdijk), I'm from Enschede the Netherlands. I was in my first year of computer science study but I didn't like it and quit. Now I'll start a new study in september.

Its the solving for sure. But, I like collecting a bit too. And building a bit too.

I started in September 2005. I learned a slowpoke method from my sisters friend, and then saw some of the movies on the internet. I found Joels site and we got in touch by msn. Since September 2005 I don't think they have been more than 10 days I didn't solve a cube...

4)If you build puzzles, what have you build and what is your project now?
I build 3 connector pieces for my siamese cube :P I realy like to make a 3x3 x2 but I'm not sure how to do that...

I got 4 2x2's (eastsheen), a harry potter one too. I got 9 normal 3x3's + 2 golden ones. 2 4x4's (rubik), 1 4x4 eastsheen. 1 5x5 eastsheen, 1 5x5 rubik. A magic, master magic, magic rings, clock, pyraminx, megaminx, peter's black hole, octagon, 3 puzzles of which I don't know the name, a mini cube, a sphere, cupstacks, about 4 sudocubes and then I must be forgotten something I guess. I don't have a clue about the value, but I'm sure it is more than what I've paid for them :)

I mostly only collect puzzles you can actualy twist.

I think that would be my first 3x3.

I don't have a clue...

a) of course the 3x3
b) megaminx
c) megaminx
d) megaminx
e) the rest of my puzzles

I swim, play chess a lot (I'm a trainer too), music (I play the Guitar), and some more things...

Hmm... nah, maybe my site: http://erikku.er.funpic.org/ it is not much of a high quality site, but there is quite some nice things on it for the regular speedcuber. I have the Fridrich method, my megaminx method, about 8 2x2 methods and some other stuff on it.

Last edited by Erik on Tue May 15, 2007 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Who's Who...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:21 am 

30-40 year old bitter shell of a man, Upstate New York, Software Developer, nyaasu

Well, I'm pretty much terrible at solving them, I don't have enough money to seriously collect them, and I've never built any, so I guess ... something else, but I'm not sure what!

The first time I became aware of the Rubik's cube was when Omni magazine did a huge two-part article about it way back when it first came out. I immediately knew I had to have one, and ended up begging every relative I had to get it for me for my birthday. I was so successful that I ended up getting three! After that, I got every twisty puzzle I could get my hands on. Although it's been over 20 years now, I've always loved puzzles and never really lost touch. I still remember when I was in college in the early 1990s and a friend of mine showed me his 5x5x5 (which I never realized existed) and it blew my mind.

Until I stumbled across this site, it never even occurred to me that it was even possible for people to build and modify their own puzzles. Now that I see what is possible, the idea seems really exciting. Maybe I'll try something out. No plans yet.

Not that many. Maybe a dozen twisty puzzles and 20-30 puzzles of other types. None of them are particularly rare or collectible, so I doubt it's worth much.

I enjoy and collect pretty much all kinds of puzzles. My favorites are twisty puzzles and most puzzles from Binary Arts/ThinkFun; they're just so well-designed and high-quality.

Probably the original Rubik's cube; it's the one that started it all ...

a) Rubik's cube (because I can actually solve it, ha ha) b) Alexander's Star c) Skewb d) 5x5x5 (I can't even get all the centers on this thing; it's driving me crazy) e) Nintendo Ten Billion Barrel (the "other reason" being that it's a piece of history from a company whose "later work" I am a big fan of, as well as a quite good puzzle in its own right)

I have too many hobbies. I collect hobbies like some people collect puzzles. Once every year or two I'll discover something, suddenly take a huge interest in it, spend way too much money on it, pursue it intensely for a while, put it aside "temporarily", and discover something else. This is why I have no money and my house is completely filled with clutter. Last year it was Lego, before that it was electronics projects, and before that it was vintage videogame consoles. Book collecting and reading, however, is one hobby that has remained constant throughout my life. Videogames are another. However, spending time with my wonderful family takes priority over anything else I spend time doing.

I'm racking my brain, but nothing is coming to me. Maybe I'm just not that interesting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:20 am 

1) Age, location, profession, eBay ID? 36, Northern NJ, Computer tech

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else? Solving and collecting

3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in? Just got back into cubing a couple of months ago. The last time I played with a cube was back in the 80's when they first became popular. Then a friend got me one for my birthday and now im obsessed with them.

4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects? I have not built any

5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth? 2 3x3x3, 2 4x4x4 and 2 5x5x5

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid? Just staring the collection i'm sure it will get much bigger

7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why? 3x3x3

8) Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay? ?

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons. I lwould say the 5x5x5 as its such a challenge and want to go bigger

10) Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies? Im a big audio and home theather buff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:45 pm 

High school student, USA

I solve. I would love to collect but I'm lazy and don't have a job, and I would love to build, but I don't have the resources.

3) How long have you been doing the above?
I first saw a cube when I was maybe 8, my cousin had one and I thought it was really cool. I played around with it and "got a side," as they say. I've been aware of them since then (bought him a 5x5 and 2x2 as presents over the years), but never was particularly interested. Then a teacher and a student got cubes and brought them to school. I became interested, asked for one for Christmas, and the rest is history.

I tried to build a 1x1x2 out of wood. That failed miserably.

a 2x2, a few 3x3s, a 4x4, 2 5x5s and a megaminx. Nothing worth more than (or probably even as much as) I paid for them. Maybe $100 total.

I'll buy twisty puzzles within a certain price range that catch my eye.

My first beat-up 3x3, of course.

Nothing's valuable.

Solving - 3x3
Appearance - 5x5
Feel - 3x3
Complexity - 5x5

I love to listen to and play jazz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:25 pm 

Hello to everybody, and thanks to the webmaster for activating my account. My name is Gianni, I'm italian and I like this site and the interesting people who write in it. I think that the best way to introduce myself is to answer the usual questions, so I will do that just now. (And I apologize once and forever for eventual mistakes, I know that my english is far from good - but I hope you can understand me all the same).

37, Italy (near Milano), engineer, I'm not an e-bay seller (however, I am Gianni591888)

Well, I'm not a speedcuber but I like to handle and possibly solve them. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to memorize many algorythms, so usually I follow written instructions for the "difficult" moves. I'm mostly in the "beauty" of cuboid puzzles, I would say. Yes, of course I like collecting puzzles, but I wouldn't be able to build/modify them.

Since I was a child I had a cube and a Babilon Tower. A couple of years ago I bought some other puzzles and enjoyed more and more playing with them. That's all, I think.

I'm not going to build puzzles, I'm sure it would result in frustration and loss of time/money.

About 10 so far, only very common ones, no one is worth mentioning.

I'm mostly interested in cuboids and similar ones (pyraminx, megaminx) and I like modifications of them, expecially the "fully functional" ones.

I think my first, old 3x3x3.

None of them, really. **update: now I have a Rubik's Domino in almost perfect conditions, I guess that's the «top» piece of my little collection**

a)3x3x3; b)Mental Block (and almost all Tony Fisher's mods); c)3x3x3; d)anyone I can't solve; e)anyone cleverly modified.

Too many to list them! I'll write just two of them: travelling and reading (literature).

No: I think I bored you enough :-)

Last edited by Gianni on Sun May 13, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:33 pm 

15, NY, None, amba2266.

In order it would have to be solving, collecting, building.

About 4 Months

No current projects, but I have built 3x3x5, and a Siamese Cube.

30 or more maybe? I would never part with my collection.

I mostly go for the cube puzzles. I like megaminx and impossiball, and magic and snake.

My 3x3. It's just awesome.

I don't know.

a) 3x3
b) 5x5
c) Snake
d) Megaminx
e) See Above

I enjoy playing drums and guitar.

Not really.

Last edited by Amba on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:31 pm 
14, new york, student, emr1028
solving
well after a friend came back over the last summer vacation solving it in 30 seconds, i just needed to solve it. in ovtober of 2006 i got hooked on every twisty puzzles.
I am planning on building a 2x2x3
14, after i make the 2x2x3, maybe around 150
I will only collect puzzles like the rubik's cube. that means in the area of cubes, square ones, megaminxes, barrels, and things similar to that. i will not buy a rubiks snake or magic. i also wont buy along the lines of a cmetrix.
the 3x3, just because
either a 5x5 or my new 2x2x3
a-5x5 b-3x3 c- meagminx d-5x5 e-the square one. the shape changes impresses people quite a bit.
10) Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies? Baseball, tennis, fantasy baseball
ummm. not really

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:21 am 

1) age, location, profession

I’m 29 years old and live in Berlin, Germany. I’m a special education (primarily for speech impaired or hearing impaired kids) and math teacher.

I like to solve and collect equally, I don’t build.
I don't speedcube or solve blindfolded.

I was still pretty young when my great-grandmother gave me a board game called “Magic 7”. The board consists of 7x7 colored tiles in seven different colors. The goal is to cover all but one color with the 14 given screens of two different shapes.
My first 3x3x3 Rubik’s Cube was given to me by my father when I was about eight or nine years old. I was able to solve two sides of it. My father realized I had fun with it and gave me a 4x4x4 Cube, too.
When I was in 5th grade the Rubik’s Magic became popular and we held contests of who would be quickest to get from the separate rings to the linked ones and also found different shapes.
I also remember having an Instant Insanity. Someone once lent me a Rubik’s Clock which I was able to solve without help, but I didn’t own it.

For a long time my Cubes and my Magic were decoration rather than hobby, but I never parted from them. When I went to college I made a friend who gave me the solution which had been made public by the Spiegel Magazin in 1981. I was quickly able to memorize it and still use it. I have also taught it to several friends.

Then I had the idea to someday give a course at school. But I couldn’t expect all my students to have their own Cube, so I started buying 3x3x3 Cubes at flea markets. I also remembered the Clock from my childhood and bought one on eBay. There I saw more puzzles that seemed familiar and I became interested in owning more of them. Thus started my collection.

I don’t build puzzles.
About two years ago I learned HTML. To actually use that I now have my own homepage displaying my puzzles.

I have about 50 twisty puzzles and also 15 others such as disassembly puzzles and ring/string puzzles.
I have no idea how much they are worth and it doesn’t matter to me. I collect just for the fun of it.

Basically I will take anything I can get my hands on – for a reasonable price. But here is what I’m more or less enthusiastic about:

I don’t care much for custom built puzzles or sticker varieties, though I have some of the latter.

I usually throw away the packaging unless it’s the original from the 80s. What I like about those is that they were only as big as necessary.

Over all I like plastic better than wooden puzzles, and twisty better than assembly puzzles.

I buy most of my puzzles at flea markets. There I have found a great variety of them for very cheap.

I don't collect quantities, though I don't mind if I have a few extras to take to school every now and then for my students to give it a go.

7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favorite and why?

Like for most people here it’s those that I have had longest:
My 3x3x3 Rubik’s Cube just because it was my first, the 4x4x4 Rubik’s Cube because my father noticed that it would be a great present and the Rubik’s Magic because it’s the black one with rainbow colors and my favorite puzzle over all.

probably Pionir Cube, Rotos and Rubik’s Blind Man’s Cube

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall?

My absolute favorite puzzle is the Rubik’s Magic. It’s just the way my hands are able to handle it. I love it.

Right now I don’t have much time for hobbies. If I did I would play my clarinet, read (Harry Potter, thrillers), dance (ballroom, but not professionally), climb, juggle and take more sign language classes.

http://amor.rz.hu-berlin.de/~h0444vtp/welcome.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:39 am 

14, Budapest, high schooler

My main interest is to solve twisty puzzles but I like to collect them.

I have been cubing since February 2006. I found a cube at home, and than started to try to solve it. In 2-3 days i could solve the first two layers by myself. Than I searched on the internet and learn the rest of the solving.

-

-

-

My favorites are Magics, clock, and bigcubes. I love them :)

-

a) MasterMagic
b) MegaMinx
c) 5x5x5
d) Magic
e) Clock

Korfball(What's that? http://www.korfball.hu ; http://www.korfball.com ), friends, music, CG, informatics.

-

Mátyás Kuti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:56 pm 

16 Canada Student Thegauthiers
When I started it was to solve, Right now I'm for figuring things out on my own and Speed.
I think I started 3-4 months ago
I think I might make a 1x2x2 and one an overlaping cube 4x4x4 out side 5x5x5 centers.
5 Soon to be 9, About 160$ cnd
Just whats fun to solve, I'd Probably avoid a dino cube because there expencive
The 4x4x4 it was the first I worked out completely on my own
My 5x5x5
a. 4x4x4
b. Square-1
c. 5x5x5
d. Something i haven't solved yet
e. 3x3x3 its easy
In no order
Snowboarding, Biking, Skateboarding a little, Computers, writing/playing music, Photography
When I'm out of school I want to be a graphic artist or photographer, Or a musician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:17 pm 

14 (turning 15 this teusday), Missouri, 9th grade
solving
started about a year ago and stopped after a month, started again 2 months ago
siamese
3x3
a) 3x3 b) megaminx c) 5x5 d) megaminx
skateboard, snowboard, wakeboard, footbag

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:43 pm 

I'm 19. I live in the United States in Georgia, but I go to college in California.

My main interest is solving. I like speedsolving, and I can solve a 3x3x3 in less than 30 seconds, but I think I prefer figuring out methods for solving. I love commutators, and I made up a 4x4x4 method.

I started cubing in the summer of 2006, when I went to Mathcamp and saw the amazingness of Macky.

I have a bunch of 3x3x3 cubes, a 4x4x4, a 5x5x5, and a couple of keychain cubes. One of them is a Valentine's Day keychain cube, which is actually a supercube.

I collect cubes. I want to get some other twisty puzzles, but right now, I only have cubes.

My first 3x3x3 DIY which I ordered at Mathcamp 2006. I learned how to solve the cube on that one, and it reminds me of all the cool people at Mathcamp.

I guess my 5x5x5.

a) 3x3x3
b) 4x4x4
c) 3x3x3
d) 4x4x4
e) 3x3x3 (blindfolded)

Yes. I like to juggle and play devil sticks. I'm working on juggling 4 balls, and I'm also trying to juggle two balls in one hand while cubing. I can do Mills Mess with 3 balls. I can devil stick one-handed while cubing in the other hand, and I have fire sticked.

I know 22 digits of pi past the decimal point in Chinese. I got a score of 28 on a math competition, and I bragged that I got a perfect score. I like math a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:24 pm 

17, Louisiana USA, soon-to-be Texas, student.

I'm not quite sure at the moment. Right now I'm mostly trying to solve new puzzles (Megaminx, Square-1, etc) without help, rather than working on speedcubing etc. I'm also slowing building a few puzzles.

I learned to do a Rubik's cube about 3 years ago, did it for a few months-year and then put it down for a while. I picked it back up a few months ago because a few of my friends began trying to learn, I started helping them, and eventually I ended up revisiting alot of the websites I can come across before, including this one.

I've currently built two bandaged cubes and am working on a 2x2x3. I really really want to build a 3x3x2 this summer as well (without it the 2x2x3 seems lonely) but I'm not sure if I'll have time.

I think around 14, not many duplicates. Probably worth $100-150, only because I have a 5x5x5 and three 4x4x4's and they aren't that cheap.

Right now I mostly just collect twisty puzzles, although I will probably end up buying some other puzzles (Magic, Missing Link, things like that) eventually. However, I generally avoid puzzles in which the solution is the same every time (ie, steel linking-type puzzles, etc)

Probably the specially bandaged cube that I made, just because it is unique. I call it the Hurricane Cube because of the pattern of the stickers on 4 of the faces.

Possibly the one mentioned above, although I'd have to get some real stickers for it and paint it first. Other than that probably just my 5x5x5, simply because it's big...

a) 4x4x4
b) Skewb or Square-1, because of how they turn.
c) 3x3x3, there aren't many puzzles that can take more abuse.
d) Not sure. The 3x3x3 has definitely been studied the most, but I wonder what other interesting things people would find if they studied other puzzles to the same extent.
e) A sudokube I have in which each sticker is a 3x3 block of numbers, so each face is a full 9x9 sudoku puzzle. I like it because I traded someone a pen with a State of Liberty figurine on the end for it. Never solved it because I haven't figured out what the solved position looks like, but I got a cube for a pen (and the pen was free too)!

I spin poi and glowstring. I also juggle balls and cigar boxes, and do some pen spinning.

And I like math. Alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:50 pm 

15, Student, West Coast

Just solving casually.

Um, I have been doing this since December.

I have not built any puzzles, although I am considering doing this.

I have 4 3x3s, 2 2x2s, 1 4x4, 5x5, and pyraminx. I also have a magic (red and yellow) and a Homer Simpson magic.

I just tend to go for the twisty kind. There are exceptions, like the magics.

My first 3x3, which is a 25th anniversay with silver stickers, is the most sentimental because, well, it's my first.

I assume my 5x5 would be worth the most, even though it's very common.

A. 3x3x3
B. Pyraminx
C. 3x3x3
D. 5x5x5
E. Skewb Diamond (Don't own one, but I always wanted one)

I do Cross Country/Track. So running in general. I also play tennis. I like video games, but I haven't had the time to play them very much in a while.

Not really, other than I think I'll enjoy it here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:20 pm 

13, New York, 9th Grader

I deffinitely like solving all my puzzles the most!

I've been cubing for about 7 months now, I first got interested when I saw someone else solve it at a camp I went to during the summer and bought mine in November.

I don't build puzzles yet, I can see myself doing it when I get older.

I have 12 puzzles: one 2x2x2 cube, four 3x3x3 cubes, two 4x4x4 cubes, three 5x5x5 cubes, one pyraminx, and one pyramorphinx. It's probably worth about $200 including my other 5x5x5 I sold.

I like cubes and some other interesting puzzles.

Probably my first 3x3x3 rubik's cube because it was the first thing that got me started and I've had it for the longest.

I think one of my rubik's brand 5x5x5, even though they turn very badly.

a) 4x4x4 cube
b) pyramorphinx
c) 3x3x3 cube
d) 5x5x5 cube

I like to play board games (like chess), soccer, and video games.

ummm... I'm one of the youngest people in my grade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:31 pm 

13, CA, none

I like solving it the most and I also like collecting. I haven't made any mods yet.

i started a year ago when my friend introduced me to it.

NA

>$100 and <$1000

I tend to avoid sticker variations unless it looks cool.

7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favorite and why?

I like the 3x3 the most because it was the first one I owned and solved.

Maybe the alexander's star, trimid, the mefferts megaminx or skewb ultimate.

9) What is your favorite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.

I like the 3x3 because there are some nice speed 3x3s. I like the fisher gold cube because of the gold and the coolness 8-) . I like the magic for feel. I like the 2x3x4 because of how hard it is.

I like to play with high voltage and build with electronics, play piano for fun, watch anime, and play RPGs or strategy card games.

no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:01 am 

18; Pennsylvania, USA; high school student; eBay: exo_zero

Solving... As much as I'd love to collect, I just don't have the funds right now to support the hobby.

Started really solving twisty puzzles last autumn, but really started speedcubing last winter (January 2007).

2x Magics, 10 Rubik's Cubes... Maybe $100 tops.

Only fully functional puzzles for me!

My Oddzon 25th anniversary Rubik's Cube... First twisty puzzle that I could solve (first twisty puzzle I owned was a Square-1... Not fun)

(tiled) Rubik's 5x5x5?

a. 5x5x5
b. 3x3x3
c. 2x2x2
d. Master Magic
e. -

Computer games and every form of art (visual, fine, musical).

Hmmm... My 3x3x3 competition cube is orange one! :D

Last edited by ExoCorsair on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:11 pm 

Age, location, profession?
I was born in 1952 and live in Grass Valley, California in the US. I work temp jobs in the field of educational testing.

Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
I enjoy solving the cube. I also enjoy learning different methods and refining them to suit my tastes and style. I am not into speedcubing, although I'd be overjoyed to be able to solve the cube consistently in a minute and a half to two minutes. I am not into memorizing lots of algorithms. In fact, I find enjoyment in being able to solve the cube in a number of ways with a minimum of memorized sequences.

How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
I got into cubing when I was teaching math in the early 80's, but just casually. I learned one method for solving the cube. Over the years the cubes disappeared and so did my ability to solve it. In early 2007 my interest was rekindled, partially by the movie, Pursuit of Happyness. I dug out my one remaining cube and started looking for my old solution notes. I finally found them, but couldn't remember how to make them work. So I went online and found a multitude of methods to choose from. I had a long trip planned so downloaded several methods and looked them over on the flight. I couldn't figure out many of them, but Mark Jeay's Working Corner Method I was able to follow. Since then I have learned Jasmine's Beginner Method, Adam Cheyer's Corners First Method, and the Petrus Method for getting the first two layers. I even struggled through Philip Marshall's The Ultimate Solution on Georges Helm's site.

As of 2010 I have been at it pretty steadily for 3 years now.

How many puzzles are in your collection?
31 twisty puzzles not counting duplicates. 34 counting a couple Magics and a Rubik's Twist. I recently solved all 31 and decided that I have 19 twisty puzzles that have some sort of unique challenge.

Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why?
Probably have to be the cube that survived since the early eighties. Why? Because it survived since the early eighties.

What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.
a) Currently the Helicopter Cube, probably because the newness hasn't worn off yet.
b) Currently the Helicopter Cube
c) Helicopter Cube and the Jing's Pyraminx
d) Super Square-1 perhaps. I worked out a solution and made notes. It is such a pain to scramble, that I don't solve it enough to internalize the solution, so sometimes have to refer to the notes. Same with the Bandage Cube. The FTO used to be complex to solve for me. through experimentation I found a couple 3-cycles for edges, and a couple for centers that I would use to solve it, along with setup moves. Half the time I would mess up on one of them that required setup moves near the end of the solve. Especially if it was one of the infrequently used 3-cycles. I recently decided to simplify, and only use one cycle for edges and one for centers. I also decided to get all the edges before doing any centers. I think this will result in less messups, and make it lose the feeling of complexity that it has.
e) I still enjoy the Crazy 2x3x3. The Pyramorphinx is fun. Although I know it is a shape modification of a 2x2x2, it is amazing how you can make interesting patterns and shapes that just do not have counterparts on a 2x2x2 cube.

Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies?
https://sites.google.com/site/budlcuber/
Backyard birdwatching

Last edited by robertpauljr on Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:51 pm 

CA (US), student.

I like to solve and build. I just got started with both.

I have been solving for 4 months and building for about 3 weeks, not counting the extended mods.

I have built a 2x2x3 cuboid, a Really Evil Twin, a Fused 3x3x3 (as part of the RET), and 2 extended 3x3x5s.

Not many. 5 cubes right now, after the 2-3 cube sacrifice to make the Evil Twin. Maybe around $300 since I have custom puzzles.

I don't really collect right now, I limit them to puzzles I haven't solved yet.

My Rubiks 5x5x5. I put a lot of work into getting it to turn how I like it.
The Really Evil Twin (after I get tiles for it, of course)
a)the 5x5x5
b)a scrambled Evil Twin
c)Eastsheen 5x5x5
d)any Cubie Chaos

I am also a bit of an audiophile, or I used to be. It's too expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:39 am 

30, Geneva - Switzerland, Editor, alimenzies

Mainly solving and collecting, but I'm currently building my very first mod - a square-1 star.

About two months.

I'm currently building my very first mod - a square-1 star

16 - around $450 - (wtf?, have I really spent that much money???)

No real boundaries - as long as I contuinue stumbling across new rubik's like twisty puzzles, I'll carry on!

My rubik's professor - I love the weight, and with the Cubesmith textured tiles, it feels just perfect.

Probably the professor, but it's nothing worth writing home about!

Professor - for the reasons given above.

I'm mad about my music - can't live without it. I played rugby for the Swiss champion team (who said rugby players are knuckleheads, eh?)- but this is a past hobby, as my body has told me to stop.

I have 5 passports. I'm going to learn to deal with babies drooling and vomiting on my puzzles, soon, as I'm going to be a father early next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:24 am 

19, Stockton CA, retail, el0xpl0x

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or
something else?

solving and collecting,, wanna start building but i'm still new

i had a rubik's cube when i was little and i could never figure it out and my dad would do it in less than 30 secs and i could never understand it, until about a month or 2 ago my store got some in and i was like "aww what the heck i'll give it a shot" from then on i can't put one down trying bigger and harder ones

N/A as of now

i like to collect anything mainly cubes, other than that i have my rubik's world. i get a cube then i figure it out and get my best times then move on to the next one, after the 5x5 that is on it's way imma start w/ most likely a pyraminx

my 4x4 i was so excited to get it and once it arrived at my door i can't put it down now i have to figure out the parity on my own =/

all of my collection came from either ebay or toy's r us or spencer's gifts (my work) mostlikely the 4x4, i don't have anything that special to anyone other than myself. but if i lost one i'd prob shed a tear

a) solving....4x4 my friends see it mixed up and say that i can't do it then it's very simple to me cause it's mainly common sense

b) appearence... my homer cause ...just cause :P

c) feel... my 2x2 or my diy 3x3 from eastsheen

d)complexity...4x4 due to no center pieces and parity atleast until my 5x5 shows up at my door

i love paper craft i have a knack for it i guess i saw a few NES characters and i was hooked i have then on display w/ my collection of puzzles

i'm a normal teenager that loves video games and to skate and ppl are amazed when they find out that i love puzzles and papercraft

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 am 

30, England, Librarian, statto_statto

Solving

Two months. Complete n00b

I don't

10, with 7 more shipping as I type. Probable worth in dollars: $300

Mainly cubes, but I don't think I'd 'avoid' anything

I don't really have a sentimental favourite yet

My 5x5 Studio Cube

a) Eastsheen 4x4
b) Rubik's 5x5 (though I have a Megaminx coming which will overtake it)
c) Rubiks's 3x3
d) Eastsheen 5x5
e) Rubik's Clock, just because it's completely different from any of my other puzzles

Reading, TV, Movies, Music

No

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:13 am 

I am 31, live in Brussels Belgium, artist, sculptor, no eBay ID

Building, discovering puzzle world, people who are involved in it

got a rubik's cube at home during the 80's (for christmas too i think). One of my friend still collected few others, he showed them to me not a long time ago, and I went on internet to see what else was exist, four or five years ago i finally discovered http://www.puzzle-shop.de and then mefferts and twisty puzzle by after.. it took me ages to get in this forum such i am retarded.

I havve tryed to make a replica of Anthony greenhill's tetrahedron that i called "Plateus Tetraforce1" and the "Plateus Gem", I am planning to work on skewb ultimate, and on more square1.

I have 10puzzles :-), i am happy

I mainly go for pure twisty puzzles

Plateus Gem, because I have not seen it somewhere else

I don't know

b,c,d,e

graffiti, skateboard, music, hard parties, drug culture, art, travels, sportswear

I ave a lot of respect for twisty puzzle community!!!!!thank you verry much for having me on this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:44 am 

36, northern VA, USA, electrical engineer for a defense contractor, ebay userid is rickssg

Solving and collecting. I have never thought about building puzzles.

I got into the early 80's craze as a kid. My parents bought me a Rubik's 3x3, a pyraminx, the missing link, and a Rubik's 4x4. At that time, I found the missing link and pyraminx to be quite easy. I never got more than two layers solved on the 3x3, and never more than one layer on the 4x4. THe 4x4 broke soon, and I kept the pieces in a paper bag for about 10 years before I finally threw it out. I had misplaced all of my puzzles by the time I was 20. Then, in 2002 I was in a store that sold educational toys for children. I saw a Rubik's 3x3 on a shelf. I took it down and stared at it for a while. I was about to put it back when my wife said something like, "Well, buy it if you want it." Soon after, I discovered the Rubik's online shop, and have since acquired a 2x2, 4x4, and 5x5. I can solve all of them now, but I admit that I was assisted by the little hints booklets that came with the cubes. Also, I found a missing link puzzle on eBay.

N/A

As mentioned above, I have a 5x5, 4x4, 3x3, and 2x2 all from Rubik's, and all purchased since 2002. They are probably worth about what I paid for them, if an appropriate discount is applied due to the slightly worn condition of them. I got my missing link on eBay for under $20, and it is an original 1981 version. I guess it's worth something under $20.

Besides 3-D twisty puzzles, I like other 3-D "brain-teaser" type puzzles, such as those found at cleverwood, and the "get the bead off of the rope" or "separate these two nails" kinds of puzzles. I have never tried non-square twisty puzzles such as the skewb or pyramorphix, although it's not from lack of interest. I just have to get around to buying some. Among these, the megaminx looks the most appealing. I also await with great eagerness the olympic cubes of size N>5. I avoid advertising cubes, although as a kid I saved UPC symbols and sent away for a Chex Cereal cube.

I would say the missing link, because I could solve it as a kid, and few others that I knew could. Also, even today, far fewer have heard of it than they have the regular cube.

The 5x5, but only because it costs more new than the others

I like the feel of the 3x3 the best. The 2x2, 4x4, and 5x5 just feel weird when you twist them. I like solving the 5x5, because it is the most challenging. I also like people's reactions when I pull out the big cubes.

Harmonica playing (novice only; I wouldn't last two minutes in a blues club)
Coin Collecting
Making my own custom covers for DVD cases when the studio art sucks
Reading (mostly fantasy and sci-fi novels, but also histories and biographies)

I am a huge fan of the best sci-fi TV show ever created: Babylon 5. And before any anti-B5 trek fans pounce, let me say that I also really, really like three of the Star Trek series. Voyager and Enterprise I cannot stand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:55 pm 

24, Texas, Professional College Student, ...

Solving, although, not in the fastest time.

2 years ago, on Halloween. Someone gave it to me as a gift, thinking I would like it. I didn't, at first, but grew to love the cube.

I wish I had, but I don't.

Plenty...

Well, I love twisty puzzles. I also have an interest in wood and metal puzzles, where you build or take apart the puzzle. I also love tile and jigsaw puzzles, although I have not started collecting.

My broken pyramorphix...because it shanged shapes and was the coolest puzzle. Now I have the Square-One and Orb-it, which are in a tie for favorite.
(6/10/12) Currently, my Crazy Megaminx Saturn

...I don't value my puzzles monetarily.

a - Orb-IT
b - megaminx/crystal
c - Square-One
d - megaminx/crystal
e - 5x5x5

(6/10/12)
a - Crazy Megaminx Saturn
b - Tuttminx
c - Gear Cube
d - Crazy Megaminx Saturn
e - V-Cube 7

...not doing homework...Does that count? Magic: The Gathering and Picross/Sudoku Puzzles.
(6/10/12) Also Kakuro and Fill-It-In Puzzles

I like taking apart and rebuilding my 4x4x4 without the core piece.

Last edited by Rae on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:08 am 

At the moment, 17.
Helsinki, Finland.
No.
No.

Solving and programming (simulating, solving, statistics, etc.).

There isn't much of a story; I saw a friend with a cube in a chess tournament in 2005 and got interested. Started programming puzzles in 2007.

I don't.

A few dozen. Several hundred euros perhaps.

I'm not really a collector, but I buy puzzles that seem interesting to me.

Snake because I got my first UWR with it.

I don't have any single one worth more than 30e or so.

a) 3x3x3
b) 3x3x3
c) 3x3x3
d) 3x3x3
e) 3x3x3

Programming, abstract strategy games, math, languages.

The first official version of Linux was released on my birthday!

Last edited by Johannes Laire on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:52 am, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:09 pm 

Okay - I'm a little overdue for this post but I'm finally getting around to it!

35, Georgia-USA, rather not say eBay ID because it is my full name. :)

Mainly collecting and solving, but I'm just getting into building too.

I started way back in the 70's. My first puzzle was "The Brain", which I learned to speed solve in the fourth grade. Of course as a child of the 70's and 80's I was hooked on the cube back then and remember watching "That's Incredible" and being amazed at the speed solving competition. Me and my brother liked to make patterns on the 3x3 of course, but I never learned to solve it until college in the 90's. Me and a friend figured it out on our own, but it was a very inefficient method. I started collecting when I found a Square 1 at a flea market back in 1997. I didn't get hard core until about a year ago.

I just finished my first mod a fused 3x3 made out of two "Wal-Mart cubes". I've got a few originals planned that are not a reality yet.

I probably have close to 50 or 60 puzzles at the this time. I'd be willing to bet it's worth over $2000 US. (Yikes!)

Primarily twisty puzzles, or anything of the Rubik brand - except the Revolution :). I have a few wooden puzzles. I try to stick to originals versus custom built - I hope to build customs myself. I only buy puzzles that I plan to solve :)

The snake of course - Loved this thing as a kid.

Not sure, but I have an original Dogic, and a complete set of signed Dogics by Meffert, still in the shrink wrap. Also a boxed Rubik's Rabbits.

a) Megaminx
b) Dogic
c) Eastsheen 5x5x5
d) Nintendo Billion Barrel
e) Snake - open to creativity

I play the banjo, and am a programmer. I also was a professional Trombone player for a while.

Not at this time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:31 pm 

Teenager, VA, student, I use my dad's ebay ID because I'm not allowed to have one :(

All three, but I won't be building until January of 2008

Got my first cube in March of 2007. Still have it!

Sh***y Fisher's Cube. Gonna remake it, as well as make like 4-5 more mods in January.

I'm too lazy.

I only collect fully functional, twisties.

My first 3x3. It's been through a lot.

Probably my Rubik's 5x5 with Cubesmith tiles or my Skewb Ultimate.

a. Pyraminx
b. Megaminx
c. 3x3 or 4x4
d. Dunno.
e. None

Videogames, computers, hanging out.

By the time I graduate highschool, I will know atleast 3 languages. :/

4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:49 pm 

I guess it's about time for me to do this..

13 Georgia, South of Atlanta, Middle School, None (i use my parents)

I'm not really sure. I mainly solve, but that is because I'm still ordering supplies with my low income of $7 per lawn cut. LOL

At least 2 years. My interest slows down over summers though so I've really only been doing it for maybe a 1½ years

Hmm. 1 megaminx 1 pyraminx 1 cylinder cube 1 2x2 1 4x4 4 3x3s.

9 puzzles. Probably around 80$

No boundaries

my first 3x3.

4x4

Not really sure

3d modeling, soccer, programming, runescape

not really

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:15 pm 

Not that I think most people read these things or would care about mine, but I've contributed on here a little bit and conversed with several people either via email or ebay, and I'm bored on lunch break, so I thought I would fill one of these out. Here goes...

36, Clearwater, Florida, physician, deathrisingup

I mainly enjoy solving, though I also try to collect more interesting puzzle mods when theyre available. I have tried building a few times but I suck at it and it makes me wanna pull my hair out.

I have been cubing for about a year now, though I was one of the few on this board probably to have been around and doing it back in the 80s when it was new.

I have attempted many, completed none and I'm currently thinking of trying a modification of DiBattista's amorph cube on a 2x2.

I have upwards of 20. Mostly 3x3's which I can tell apart easily, and some Meffert's things. I'd say probaby around 2-300 bucks.

I try to stay away from things that I know I will have no chance of really solving. I'm not into those insane rhombic dodecahedron type puzzles. I mostly stick with my 3x3 or 4x4 and work on perfecting my methods there.

Probably my first DIY that I got from the Rubik website. They aren't the best DIY's by far, but I've had mine so long and tuned it so perfectly to my style that it seems to be the one I always post my fastest times with.

Theyre probably all about the same, unless I could get someone to pay me for my Rubik's game cube as if it were a true deluxe lol.

I like the 3x3 for all of the above. Whenever I get a good efficient system down for my 4x4 I will probably like it alot as well.

I play guitar, knit (yes knit), draw, play my ps2, collect horror movie memorabilia, esp FXIII, and work on computers.

I doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:19 pm 

15, USA, school >_>, don't happen to have one

i usualy focus on solving, i'm not really collecting but i bet i'll have a bunch of cubes (ect) by the end of the year, I plan on building some but i don't have the right tools :\

This actualy began about a month ago and well i was over at my friends house and he happend to have one he said i could have it and decided to learn how to solve, I recently bought my 4x4x4 and a DIY cube i'll usualy just play with those

None yet :\

I have about 4 an older rubiks cuber from the 90's I think, a newer one from the store, a black DIY, and a revenge i'd say $30 heh :\

I usualy collect some I don't have to be honest haha
i want a megaminx really bad.

my old 3x3x3 (well my first one)

dont have an ebay account :\

a) Old 3x3x3
b) Revenge
c) Black DIY
d) For now my 4x4x4 because its the biggest one I have
e) um....

I can play guitar a a bit of drums some bass, and I think I can sing. I want to learn how to play piano though i just don't happen to have one :[

I like alot of music really

12) What can we do for you?
Well i'd say help me out with my questions and help me out in creating my own puzzles :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:59 pm 

1) Name, Age, location, profession, eBay ID?
Patrick Condon, 13, Massachusetts USA, no Ebay ID...yet.
I would say that I'm a hybrid between collecting, solving, and building.
I have been puzzling for about 2 years now.
I have built an octogonal prism (3x3) and a 2x2x3 (keychain 3x3, not 4x4) I am hoping to start a mental block after my darn Skewb arrives.
3x3
4x4
pyraminx
1982 rubiks world (3x3)
megaminx
octogonal prism
2x2x3
twist
soma
bricks
various wood burrs
backspin
marble mazes
2x2
Skewb
keychain 3x3

I would say that my collection costs about $150, maybe more because I'm no expert...

I own other puzzles but I direct towards twisties.
I like my 1982 Rubik's World because it's fun to solve and pretty old.
1982 Rubik's world

a) 3x3
b) megaminx
c) keychain 3x3 (super-slick)
d) 4x4
e) skewb for mod-ability

SkateBoarding, SnowBoarding, FreeBording (hybrid between the two), and making card towers.

I like Pie :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:45 pm 

Yeah, my name is still Nick and I still live in the middle of nowhere, but I'm 16 now.

I really like solving and collecting, but I also enjoy building occasionally. I haven't done much of it though...

Well it started out with my Great-Grandmother (God bless her.) who had an original Rubik's Cube and I was very interested in it. I messed around with it all the time, and I eventually got my own and just played with it. I found it in my closet unsolved about 2 years ago unsolved and it happened.

My bandaged octagonal prism.

Around 20 now I think...

Mainly jigsaw puzzles.

Rubik's 3x3, because I've had one all my life, and is a memory from my 2-3 year old...er.... life area?

Well, my Babylon Tower, the Disney cube, the Octagon thing, and thats about it.

a.) The 3x3x3, I love it, and it reminds me of my grandmother.
b.) My octagonal thing, it's pretty unique.
c.) My 3x3x3, Eastsheen 5x5x5, and my Platypus.
d.) Megaminx.

Oh yeah.
Guitar
Computers
Pyrotechnics
Chemistry
Game Console Hacking
Speed Stacking
Board games (classic ones like Chess and Goe)
Anything that I can build

I'm left handed.
I'm devoutly Christian. (Is Devoutly the right word..?)

Last edited by cAPSlOCKrOXX on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:41 pm 

19, Bristol, -
solving! i also buy too much.
i learned how to solve in august 2007, i use petrus and i did consider changing but i'm still improving so i guess i'll stick with it until i can't improve anymore!
-
ummm.. about 20 items, probably £100 ish?? actually that is a lie. £150.
i don't really like wooden puzzles
megaminx because.. my boyfriend bought it for me. *cringe*
um i don't think any of them would really.
a) 3x3x3
b) megaminx
c) pyraminx
d) 4x4x4 i just hate it.
e) magic, because having small hands isn't a disadvantage for this puzzle!
eternity 2, languages, my friends... err the internet.
organising a uk competition with my friend rob on 5th July 2008 in bristol! everybody should come because it is going to be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:34 pm 

13, Kentucky, Musician, messinajewlery (at least for now)
A little of all three.
Since Summer 07, I started building Christmas, when i got a Dremel.
4x4x4 Evil twin, Half truncated cube. I plan on making some Fully functional cubiods soon.
about 10 puzzles...
Not much
I would like to collect all types of puzzles.
My first 3x3x3, I still have it. It is also my main Speedcube.
Probably the 4x4x4 Evil Twin
a Skewb Ultimate
b Megaminx
c Skewb
d 4x4x4 Evil twin
e 5x5x5 cube
I am a Musician.
Not particularly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:37 pm 

1) Age, Location, Profession, Ebay ID?
14, Wyoming, Amateur Musician, Rotholz2007
2)Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
Definetely solving.
Since April '07. I saw the Pursuit of Happyness and decided that if Will Smith could solve a cube, then I could, too.
Never built a puzzle, most likely never will. I'm quite inept.
I currently have 10 puzzles; Eastsheen 2x2, Rubik's 3x3, Two DIY 3x3's, Eastsheen 4x4, Re-tooled Rubik's 4x4, Eastsheen 5x5, Rubik's Twist, and a Pyraminx. I would guess around $120-$150.
I'm very open-minded when it comes to puzzles.
Definetely my first 3x3. It was my main speedcube until two days ago, when it exploded. I kept my favorite pieces though. It was the object that was seemingly harmless and then plunged me into a world of stackmats and algorithms.
I would guess my ES 5x5. My collection doesn't have any really valuable members.
a)3x3
b)Pyraminx Crystal
c)4x4
d)Megaminx
e)2x2-Easy, Fun.
I have played drums for 6 years, I enjoy my Mac, anything computer related, reading, airsoft, paintball, clothing, everything music, texting, and guitar hero.
I'm homeschooled...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:06 pm 

14, Michigan, student,none
a bit of all 3
last year around spring break
3x3x3 Siamese 2, fused cube 3x3x5 extended, fisher cube, cubie chaos, and 4x4x4 evil twin. i plan on building a 2x2x4.
25 but i have 2 on their way, not too much
i don't care for books and stuff like that, i like puzzles
I like the megaminx because it looks cool
I don't Know
a)3x3x3
b)megaminx
c)skewb
d)5x5x5
e)3x3x3
not really, i do play the trombone
I am a vegetarian 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:55 am 

Hi! My name's bob. I'm 16 and living in Clermont Florida. Right now I attend Eastridge High School and am in 11th grade.
I've been interested in speedubing since june of 2007 when I simply decided to solve my rubik's cube. After figuring out the first two layers on my own I went online to figure out the last few steps and about 2 weeks after picking the thing up I solved it. Pretty quickly I decided to memorize the algorithms and was timing myself before long. Whithin months I was obsessed and speedsolving is now probably my biggest hobby.
Right now my average is about 38 seconds. I have and can solve the 4x4 and the 5x5 but don't spend much time with them.
Aside from speedcubing I play trumpet and love being involved in the concert band and marching band at my school. I'm a big follower of DCI and hope to join the Cavaliers or Carolina Crown someday (don't worry if you don't know what I'm talking about). I play guitar hero but I'm not very good at it. Recently I got into 3d jigsaw puzzles but don't have many yet.
My myspace url is myspace.com/trumpetbob and my youtube url is youtube.com/bobistrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:35 pm 

1)im 14, from michigan, a student, no ebay id
2)mostley collecting, but im getting in to building
3)RATM Fan (2 above this post) got me started a bit after he started
4)fisher cube, dino cube
5)12 once all i have ordered get delivered, $150
6)twisty puzzles only
7)the fisher cube because it changes shape and i made it
8)the fisher cube because it is not manufactured
9)
a)megaminx
b)fisher cube
c)5x5
d)5x5
e)fisher cube
10)i play the bass guitar, the trombone, and a im a good artist although i dont draw very much anymore :mrgreen:

Last edited by daddrivesmecrazy on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:53 am 

25, Austin TX (Live Music Capitol of the World) , Math/Technology Teacher Cross Country/Track Coach

All three!

Since I saw Tyson Mao solve one blindfolded on the cover of yahoo. November of 2006.

I have built countless 3x3x3 DIY Kits of many different colors, as well as 2x2x2 and 4x4x4 Eastsheen kits.

I'm guessing 20 to 25 sequential movement puzzles, and only worth what someone else would pay.

I particularly enjoy the cubes, except for the square one........I'm not sure I'll ever be able to solve that one!

My 3x3x3 rubik's cube I first solved on the way to a basketball game w/ my team on the bus. The 7th graders thought I was a god for being able to solve it!

I guess a rubik's 3x3x3 studio I have.

a)Rubik's DIY Kit 3x3x3, or Eastsheen 5x5x5
b)White DIY Kit 3x3x3, or Mefferts Black and White Tetrix Balls
c)Anything w/ Cubesmith Tiles
d)Odd number cubes (3x3x3, 5x5x5, 7x7x7) and Platypus and other easy going puzzles

I attend many electronica/dance concerts/dj sets. I play the drums. I was a distance runner throughout hs and college.
I have twice as many drink coasters as I do puzzles. I usually pick up a new hobby every other month.

I use to drive a Crash Test Dummy car w/ black/yellow caution stripes and the whole works.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:16 pm 

15, Illinois (USA), student, don't have one

Solving as of now, but I'm interested in building...

Since Christmas (2007). I got a 4x4x4 when I had asked for a 3x3x3, then within a week I had learned how to solve a 5x5x5 as well, then in the following month I also learned how to solve 6x6x6^ cubes.

I am preparing to build an Evil Twin Cube, hopefully..

3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, all Rubik's and all with Cubesmith tiles. About $70 is right, I think.

I don't really collect.. but if I bought anything other than the average cube it would be some sort of custom made puzzle or a Megaminx.

The 5x5x5. I just like it :lol:

I gues the 5x5x5.

The 5x5x5, for all of them, but that will probably change when the OC 7x7x7 comes out.

I am an ameteur guitarist.

Nope.. nothing about me is interesting.

My first 20x20x20 solve: 6:22:20

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:06 pm 

ive been here for a while, but never did this (this is like my 206th post) here goes

1) 13, St. Louis, MO
2) I mainly enjoy solving and collecting
3) I was at camp and my friend taught me and I've been obsessed for 7.5 months since
4) no puzzle builds, unless you count the 1x1x1... dice mech
5) 21 puzzles, with 2 more on the way, I'm estimateing about $150-$200
6) I'm not a big fan of bead puzzles (like the astrolabacus or the billion dollar barrel) so I wouldn't get one of those. I like mefferts puzzles and rubik's puzzles, not really any other brand. Actually i want to get a square-1...
7) My original 3x3, because it was the start of the revolution for me. Thats why its sentimental
8) I think my 5x5 would be worth alot on ebay because its well turning and restickered (tiled technically).
9) My favourite puzzle overall for solving is white DIY, for appearance gordians knot just looks cool, for feel i dont really know, for complexity hopefully soon my megaminx. (the gordians knot was a gift, i wouldv'e never bought it myself)
10) no other hobbies, unless you count hanging out with my friends.
11) I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do...

Last edited by TheCube on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:29 am 

1. 15, Carmel Indiana, School
2. Solving
3. started December 2006
4. Siamese cube (the one where you just glue) I’d like to build a truncunated cube someday.
5. 29, not sure
6. If it’s a puzzle I’ll try and figure it our
7. my first 3x3
8. not sure
9. a)5x5
b) Rubik’s brain wracker
c)3x3
d)skewb ultimate
e)v-cube because I really want one
10. I run track and cross country I like camping and my cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:01 pm 

1) 16, England, Student
2) Collection is my main interest but I am also interested in building. I am going to start building soon.
3) Since September 2007 although I have played with the cube, 2x2 and snake years before, casually.
4) White Fisher's Cube (see signature)
5) I have 20 or so puzzles. Not sure of worth.
6) I wouldn't collect sticker variations.
7) My first Rubik's 3x3, it got me interested.
8) Hmm, I have nothing that valuable. Meffert's Megaminx probably.
9)
a) solving: 3x3
b) appearance: Pyraminx Crystal
c) feel: Skewb Ultimate
d) complexity: 7x7, Void Cube
10) Astronomy, Geocaching

Last edited by Bounb on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next