Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stern solution :-D
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:59 am 
Anybody knows how to solve the stern (jumbo star)?
The solution seems harder than the typical pyramorphix that I know of, as u have to orientate the centre faces which are now corners with 3 faces each.
In the basic pyramorphix, the orientation of the centre face is not important as long as the color matches (unless u have the tiles with grains-Meffert's, where u can rotate the tiles to match everything)
Anybody who knows, please share your technique for the Stern/Star of David/Stella Octangula/Jumbo Star?
They r all the same puzzle with different names all over the net :)

Post subject: Solution
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 8:22 am 

The mechanism to the jumbo star (stern) is a 2x2x2 mechanism so the standard 2x2x2 solution will work.

Post subject: Solution
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 9:24 am 

That is how I solved the one I made. I thought of it as a 2x2x2 puzzle. I got lost a couple of times, but you get used to it.

Post subject: Stickers on the Star
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 12:59 am 

If you have a star that was built from two pyramorphixes, you may have the same problem I had.

I had two little pyramorphixes and one broke. So I decided to make a star out of them. I found that I had to rearrange the stickers in order for it to be solved. The two puzzles needed to be mirror-images of each other. Then the puzzle could be solved with a look that is similar to Alexander's Star, in which all parallel surfaces are the same color.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Solution :-)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 9:24 am 
Thanx for d input, but I can solve 2x2x2 easily, but just how do u apply the 2x2x2 solution in this situation?
I can solve the basic pyramorphix no problemo, but for the stern, I happen to get just one pyramorphix into proper position but the other one is out of sync :(
Hopefully Jaap poses a solution (proper) on his website soon.
Could those of u with solution kindly elaborate further how u solved it instead of just saying 2x2x2 solution...THANX A MANY!

Post subject: Yes! Got it!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 8:08 pm 
Thanx for posting your concept of solving!
I finally figured it out, but the solution given by Meffert's won't help to solve much except the colors alone :)