Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ? bandaged cube solution
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2000 6:00 am 
I can't find a general method to solve my bandaged cube. I can't find it on the web neither.
Can someone help me?
Thank you.

Post subject: if you need a solution.............
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 9:23 pm 

Jaaps Puzzle Page.
http://www.org2.com/jaap/puzzles/
Although I have not read his solutions, I do know that this site covers many puzzles and all have solutions for those who have to know.
You will also find links to about a dozen other "solutions web sites" from here!

Have fun
the biffman

Post subject: Downside of the Jaap solution
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 5:02 pm 

I tried this link, but I found that the structure of his cube seems to differ from the one that Meffert is selling. Has anyone else encountered this?

- Peter

Post subject: Well, well...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 11:48 pm 

I just took a real close look at Jaap's site. His Bandaged Cube is indeed the same as mine. Is the picture he got from Meffert an accurate representation of the new cube? If so, then Uwe seriously screwed it up when he made the new version. If you take a close look at Jaap's picture, you'll see that all stickers that are doubled up on one side are also doubled up on the adjacent side. However, the photograph at the top of the page shows 2 solo pieces on the green side matching up with a bandaged piece on the yellow side. If this is accurate, then Meffert constructed his version incorrectly. I'd be interested in getting one of these versions and attempting to solve it, too. L8r.

Post subject: My solution
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2000 1:39 am 

I made a bandaged cube myself by looking at the model in the Puzzler program. I also noticed that Uwe's picture is wrong, but I assume it is a prototype. Anyway, he emailed me yesterday to say that he just sent off the 8 puzzles I ordered, and when the bandaged cube arrives I'll check it out to see if I need to change my solution.

By the way, I would be very interested to see any other solutions for this puzzle or any other of the less common puzzles on my site.
Bye,
Jaap
P.S. Yes, I am right handed. Sorry I'm biased.

Post subject: Bandaged Cube solutions.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2000 3:43 am 
: I made a bandaged cube myself by looking at the model in the Puzzler program. I also noticed that Uwe's picture is wrong, but I assume it is a prototype.

Perhaps. If it's not, it would be interesting to get one of them. :)

: Anyway, he emailed me yesterday to say that he just sent off the 8 puzzles I ordered, and when the bandaged cube arrives I'll check it out to see if I need to change my solution.

Well, I don't know if you should "change" it. There are Bandaged Cubes out there which will work with your solution, mine included. Perhaps you could rename this one to "Bandaged Cube (80's)", and the new solution would be "Bandaged Cube (Meffert's)".

: By the way, I would be very interested to see any other solutions for this puzzle or any other of the less common puzzles on my site.

I'll let you know as soon as it's done.

: P.S. Yes, I am right handed. Sorry I'm biased.

I'm not surprised. Most people are. I am too. However, when I made my site, I was determined to a) solve all the puzzles myself, without the aid of a computer, and b) make the solution equally useable by left AND right handed users For the most part it wasn't too bad, but you can probably imagine how painful it was when it came time to solve the Square-1. :-S L8r.

Post subject: Jaap's Solution.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2000 5:02 pm 

: I tried this link, but I found that the structure of his cube seems to differ from the one that Meffert is selling. Has anyone else encountered this?

I don't know. It could be that you're not holding it the right way. By looking at his page, he obvious assumes that all solvers are right handed. I just finished the major chunk of the work on my own Bandaged Cube solution, which is about evenly balanced for left and right handed users, like all my others. All I need to do now is simplify the stage where you convert the basic "shapes" back to the home position, which Jaap seems to have done amazingly well. My solution is based on the original Bandaged Cube I picked up during the summer and wrote about to the Cube Lover's Mailing List. I plan to make another post soon. Noel Dillabough saw it and with my guidance incorporated it (correctly) into Puzzler, which Meffert then based his version on, so my solution's guaranteed to work with his release. :) I can't provide a complete solution here yet, but if you can move the solo corner and the centres back to their home positions, I can definitely help you to get it from there to the solved state, and you only need 4 patterns to do it. :) L8r.

Post subject: bandaged cube structure
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:01 pm 

I received one of Uwe's bandaged cubes yesterday. It has the same structure as the one on my page. The colours were different, but I just fixed that. I also added a little bit more text to explain how to determine the puzzle orientation my solution uses.

Post subject: Computer solutions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2000 4:11 am 

> However, when I made my site, I was determined to
>a) solve all the puzzles myself, without the aid of a computer, and
>b) make the solution equally useable by left AND right handed users.

Not only am I biased towards right-handed people, I also have no qualms about using a computer to solve puzzles. In particular my bandaged cube solution was found completely by computer.

I first computed a table of all 440 possible configurations. It took me a long time to use this to find a fairly neat way of getting to the right one.

I then used the computer to find sequences that permute the bandaged pieces (the table computed earlier was used to prune this search).

While my solution is fairly fast, it is somewhat too complicated to bother memorising.

Post subject: Untitled
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2000 10:50 pm 

: Not only am I biased towards right-handed people, I also have no qualms about using a computer to solve puzzles.

That's all well and good, of course, but I like the challenge of working it out manually. Besides, the computer I'm using is a 7 MHz Amiga with 3 Megs of RAM and a floppy drive (my hard drive controller just crashed and burned), and I never really was one for pointers, anyway. :)

: I first computed a table of all 440 possible configurations. It took me a long time to use this to find a fairly neat way of getting to the right one.

I can imagine. I'm still working on that aspect of the solution myself. BTW, even if you take into account the collisions with centre pieces and their even parity, I found that there's a theoretical maximum of 520 possible states for the bandaged cube. 80 of those are impossible to achieve using the standard configuration. They break down into 14 different bandaged cube puzzles, each of which has a God's Algorithm of at most 3 face turns (some as little as 1), making them about as interesting as the Pocket Cube "Special".

: I then used the computer to find sequences that permute the bandaged pieces (the table computed earlier was used to prune this search).

I did the same thing. There's an awful lot of patterns that swap at least 5 corner pieces, but I managed to find 4 super simple patterns (3 with 10 quarter turns and 1 with 12) which rotate exactly 3 corners each and account for all corners in the puzzle (some corners more than once). All in all, it's been a rather interesting experience. :) L8r.

Post subject: New Bandaged Cube Solution
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2000 10:50 pm 

I have just updated my bandaged cube page, adding a new solution that is easier to memorise.

> BTW, even if you take into account the collisions with centre pieces and their even parity, I found that there's a theoretical maximum of 520 possible states for the bandaged cube. 80 of those are impossible to achieve using
the standard configuration. They break down into 14 different bandaged cube puzzles, each of which has a God's Algorithm of at most 3 face
turns (some as little as 1), making them about as interesting as the Pocket Cube "Special".

Fascinating. I didn't know that.

> There's an awful lot of patterns that swap at least 5 corner pieces, but I managed to find 4 super simple patterns (3 with 10
quarter turns and 1 with 12) which rotate exactly 3 corners each and account for all corners in the puzzle (some corners more than once).

My new solution uses one 7 move sequence (a 5-cycle) and one 10-move sequence (a 3-cycle). The 7-move sequence can be performed in 3 different orientations since it only uses moves of 3 adjacent faces.

By the way, I have adjusted my first solution so that it is now less biased to right-handed people.