Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle Making
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:00 pm 

In LaurentB's recent post about his wonderful new creation, Ton raises an interesting dilema about so many new puzzles being made and only having two hands. Well I thought, I too have only two hands and a very limited time to spend on my own creations.
Many ideas spring to mind, not only about new (and old) puzzle creations but of information sharing. Didn't Rubik create the cube as a learning tool? Dosen't the cube teach many ideas? Can't the creation of such puzzles also teach principles of creation? Another perplexing facet of the cube has surfaced...
If I had the time (and server space) I would invite all puzzle makers to share their creation process so that others could do the same. I know that there are many who have done this to some extent but couldn't there be one such source and a systematic way of documenting the creations?
Some of the puzzles I've made have been quite complicated and others I've seen surely dwarf my efforts. Why not "rate" the creations and mods as to the difficulty in makeing them?
I'm sure that many will agree, to make a Siamese Cube is definately easier than say a Golden Skewb.

Another idea is a "Piece Swap". I have pieces the I could mold 1 of each piece needed to make a puzzle and trade to someone who has a piece set for another puzzle. Then each could mold the required pieces and complete the puzzle.

If someone wanted to share their idea they could:

1. Create a new puzzle
2. Document and publish their process as to the standardized form.
3. Create X "Piece Swap" sets and "tree" them.
"Treeing a piece set" would be easy to do also. First, the person who has the X sets (call them the ROOT) takes sign-ups. Each person wanting a set would sign-up by a specified date. Then the logistics of shipping etc would be worked out. The Root would send the X sets to X persons (the BRANCHES) in return the branches would send enough $ to cover materials and shipping to the ROOT. The Branches would make X piece sets each and send to X LEAVES and so on and so and so on....
Each person could create their own puzzle and keep their mind a bit more open to their own work so that they could share with others.
Just a few ideas... Maybe it could rekindle the spark of Rubik in someone's eyes? Maybe someone new might find an interest in our old friend the cube...

_pink

Post subject: Re: Puzzle Making
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:32 am 

I fact, there is a need for a well organized twisty puzzle site that is built like an online magazine. It should not be a museum type of a site, nor should it be just puzzle building site. I should a be a little of everything, and publish issues of acticles, that have a little of everything. I must assert, that the articles must be real "easy" articles with a good style, and a good language, that attract people. That would bring more people to the site, and build more interest in building puzzles too. Right now all resources are very separate, and one must know what exactle he/she is looking for. I am planning such a site, but right now have only a vague idea of how long that would take me to do.

Regarding the piece set swapping idea. I think it is great! There is however one thing, in that right now puzzle builders mostly build puzzles for themselves, or for exchange, because it takes so much time, and most puzzles are build by hand, and not with casting. As more puzzles are build with casting, there will be a tendency to sell the puzzles. With piece swapping, I am not sure what would be right solution....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:40 am 

I had a similar (but simpler) thought about 6 months ago. It sounded to me like there were a lot of people here interested in building, but only few who actually seemed to get around to it.

My idea was that if we build as a group, we can share ideas all at the same time, avoid making the common mistakes over and over, encourage each other, etc. Sort of like a custom puzzle-per-month club or something. Start easy (piece swaps, restickering: extensions, ball in cube, mushroom, etc), gradually get more complicated (piece reshaping: 2x2x3 3x3x2m etc) and work our way up into the big leagues with modeling and molding. I figured it was a great idea... but it didn't receive a single response.

A classic example was when I built my Master Cuboctahedron (pictures here). It turned out that Wayne was building one at exactly the same time. We showed off our finished products within days of each other. When I learned that he was building one, I was definitely spurred on to finish mine. To date, it is the most significant puzzle mod I have completed while two dozen other half-complete ideas have found their way onto the back burner.

The following point goes AGAINST my point about simultaneous learning, but is in line with your "centralized library of information" idea. Wayne used a Rubik's Revenge and I used a Mefferts Master Cube. The Master Cube cubies were much more solid so through blind luck I didn't encounter any holes during my truncating. Wayne did encounter holes on his Revenge and had to use plastic chemicals to fill them up... making the build more difficult.

Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:07 am 

I agree, thats my idea to, so I contribute my part on my pages. To organize on a bigger scale would imply that we must join a puzzle community (or site) that do this organizing, and there must be puzzle volunteers that do this job else we must pay some countribution to this puzzle community (no problem for me).

I like the idea but we live all over the world, this will be very difficult to do, because of the communication.

About your magazine idea, thats the idea behind Wayne article pages.

And a virtual museum is Sandy's site

And a Puzzle sollution site is Jaap's site

And a speedcubing site, Puzzle builing site is Ron's site (I am part of it)

It would be a great idea to join all are efforts in one puzzle community or site, but this is just very hard to implement. Ron van Bruchem had about the same idea thats why Ron invited me to join his site. So now Ron Chris and me and join one site on puzzles, I live near Ron so communication is no problem.

So ...
Maybe a good first start is to create an internet video converence on all of these toppics. Maybe someone is an expert on this site and can implement this?

So for this moment I use Wayne site's as a portal to puzzle land and ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:00 pm 

That's more or less the idea of this site. Most puzzles I have made have had the process documented, and the one's that haven't, will eventually be. Ton has also provided extensive coverage of his work.

I guess it comes down to demand. If there's something you want to know, just ask. Information is definately shared here. Even my 6x6x6 once it's complete.

Post subject: share the love!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:04 am 

That is exactly the way i looked at speedcubing. There were people interested in my school. Instead of being a "head up in the clouds" attitude, i was rather open in discussing and sharing my method and we all grew together.
There are so many aspects of the cube and an open discussion is the way to go. I really enjoy this forum as well as the yahoo club because it lets everybody share their experiences and other people can enlighten them with some sort of direction or learn from them.
As for the cube being a tool, i couldn't agree any more. There is so much related to the cube, its just amazing!!! Certain conceptes are compared to the cube, like DNA and viruses, and even simpler just 3D spatial skills. The cube is an excersises your short term memory, reaction speed, visualization, dexitry, and other skills. Puzzle Building is a whole new way of looking at the cube because not only are you focusing on the outward apearence but the internals as well.
Theres so much to learn in so little time :)
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:40 am 
While we are talking about online resources I thought I might suggest some ideas I had.

Subject to obtaining the proper permissions, wouldn't it be a good idea to link to the relevant information from one site.i.e. Add links from TwistPuzzle.com. You could link to Jaaps solutions, to the patents page, relevant articles in the Cubic Circular etc. If these links were added to each puzzle, it would make TwistPuzzles an even more impressive resource.

I understand that Jaap and Joshua might have concerns about being linked to in this way. This is only a suggestion.

As for current builds, I am sure this could be incorporated in to TwistyPuzzles also. An extra category called "Current Builds" for example could be set-up. When someone starts a new build they could submit pics and info using the same methods as for the existing puzzles. Other builders could then modify and add to this info.

I know this sound like a lot of work (Sandy) but this really would have to be a group effort.

Max

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:26 am 

I should take a good look at the magazine idea. As Ton says, the articles section is what this is all about, collecting articles for the puzzle making process.

A few people have contributed their experiences into articles and these are in there as well. As for offsite links like Ton's pages, I should be categorising those in there as well, perhaps with Ton's permission to create a one-stop area where all twisty puzzle related building tips and experiences are found.

Even Jaap has a great ideas page that would merit a link from the articles page.

I'm happy to do this if I get permission from everyone who has their own information pages to add the links into Twisty.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:26 am 

I am glad to see that there is some interest in this area.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to see that we can share our ideas and techniques to further new puzzle developement and also allow people a more expedient way of obtaining customized puzzles.

Would anyone be interested in trying a piece swap for one of the more simple puzzles to make (but one that some might need to help complete their collection)?

_pink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:39 am 

Yes Wayne you can use links to my pages, as long as you just mail me about it, maybe I can adjust my pages to the same look and feel.

I am happy to share any information, I have no secrets nor expect I any compensation.

It sounds like a great idea to use the twisty pages as a portal to other homepages.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:39 am 

I just updated my little web page. All of you are invited to link to it.

Funny-Looking Twisty Puzzles

Just don't send me spam and don't sell my email address. (This may be a naive request.)