Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Black Milliput, 2x2x3
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:30 pm 

Just a couple of 2am (PST) blogs...

Black Milliput rocks. I have to say, this stuff is the perfect material for building up existing pieces. I am currently building up a 2x2x4 and the black Milliput is an almost perfect match for the pieces. Even after sanding I'm sure there will be obvious seams where the black plastic ends and the black Milliput begins, but that's ok. It certainly looks like it will be the best 1 step solution for black plastic puzzles. It is a bit messy though...

I finally got around to taking a couple of digital pics of my 2x2x3 "mule."

http://www.chrono.org/puzzlepics/2x2x3-1.jpg
http://www.chrono.org/puzzlepics/2x2x3-2.jpg

On the second picture you can clearly see where the mini 3x3x3 mechanism is joined with the regular 3x3x3 corner cubelets. With my next one I intend to use black Milliput to smooth over those unsightly corner pieces. Right now I can make a complete 2x2x3 within a 10 hour Time frame if there's no Milliput involved. Milliput can really add that finished look but it does increase construction Time significantly due to the need to let the putty cure. Not too big a deal since I always have other projects to work on.

Post subject: Re: Black Milliput, 2x2x3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:14 am 
I used black milliput on a 2x2x4. You can see the seams but only just! As the pieces become scuffed during use the seams aren't visible any more.

Could you comment on the strength? I have never used regular milliput, but the black stuff does seem to scratch and chip easilly. Is it any softer than the regular stuff? I know it is nowhere near as strong as cast epoxy resin.

Max

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:59 am 

And how is the colour match? I know you briefly mentioned it, but is there much difference or can't you tell?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:00 am 

This is macro close up of one of the 2x2x4 pieces I produced. The bottom right side is the Milliput, top left is original rubik 2x2 plastic.

The picture shows more of a colour difference than can be seen in normal light, I think it is the flash.

Not a bad match though!

Max

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:05 pm 

If you would make the edge like this, you will not need milliut on the edges.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:38 pm 

Hmm... I'm probably not giving you enough credit and were indeed commenting about using milliput on the 2x2x3.

I did have a question though, the mini cube you used for your project, was it an original Ideal 30 mm keychain cube? The new issue keychain cubes are very hollow compared to the keychain cube in your pictures. I think that a nice solid keychain cube would be better but the new ones seem to be holding up quite well.

Ton Dennenbroek wrote:
> If you would make the edge like this, you
> will not need milliut on the edges.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:00 am 
I forgot to mention, this was shot before a final polish on regular paper.

Max

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:05 pm 

I think you missed his reference. The piece that he showed was for a 2x2x4 which does need to be filled in order to look just right. Yes, if you cut the 2x2x3 piece just right you don't need Milliput for the middle pieces.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:38 pm 
Talking of mini 3x3x3s, all the ones I have use a "push on" connector to fit the centre cubies. Do the Rubik ones have a screw? I am worried about how the snap on ones will stand up to the forces created by larger pieces.

Max

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:29 am 

The Oddzon 1999/2000 type Rubik's keychains they have White oposite Blue the first type are solid. The new Oddzon White oposite Yellow is hollow.

But most other old type keychain are solid!