Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:28 am 

BillT wrote:
Once again, great work. I immediately thought of this thread when I saw the puzzle: http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3836. From the photos it looks like Okamoto used a design very similar to this to make his void cube.

-Bill

After I designed the original Donut Cube, I realized it would be impossible for me to actually build, so I came up with this second design. It looks like Okamoto-san actually finished it! Amazing!

Attachments:
File comment: Donut Cube, exploded
exploded.jpg
exploded.jpg [ 33.42 KiB | Viewed 6710 times ]
File comment: Donut Cube, edge
edge.jpg
edge.jpg [ 22.58 KiB | Viewed 5558 times ]
File comment: Donut Cube, corner
corner.jpg
corner.jpg [ 22.39 KiB | Viewed 5551 times ]
File comment: Donut Cube, top
top.jpg
top.jpg [ 23.85 KiB | Viewed 5553 times ]
File comment: Donut Cube, movement
donut.gif
donut.gif [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 2018 times ]

Pay a bluish oak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:05 pm 

Yeah cubester, from the looks of the video it is very stable, although I understand your concern. First glance tells us it's a disaster waiting to happen :)

Edit: Whoa, didn't see that there was a page 3... Nice computer designing. It doesn't make any sense to me! Ha, I love technology!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:19 pm 

Whoa... I don't understand that design very well, but it looks like it should work if you can machine the parts correctly. Well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:22 pm 

I have seen the youtube video of the voidcube and it looks very sturdy. Never doubt a really good puzzle builder's quality, unless it's a knockoff of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:24 pm 

pkobayashi, does your Donut Cube v2 work similarly to a pyramorphix keychain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:32 am 

Swordsman Kirby wrote:
pkobayashi, does your Donut Cube v2 work similarly to a pyramorphix keychain?

No, it's much simpler than that, it even has less pieces than a Rubik's Cube. IF anything, it's a bit like an Impossiball.

qqwref wrote:
Whoa... I don't understand that design very well, but it looks like it should work if you can machine the parts correctly. Well done!

I didn't draw it, but the top pieces connect to the core and just rotate in place, kind of like a bottle cap spinning on a bottle. The "wings" on the top pieces hold in the edge pieces. And the "wings" on the edge pieces hold in the corner pieces.

The beauty of the design is that it you don't need to have any special pieces machined or molded, they can be built up using basic shapes. Theoretically, with enough patience, you could even make one at home.

The tops of all the cubies can be made with regular Rubik's pieces, and the bottoms of the pieces can be cut out of a single sphere, something about the size and thickness of a tennis ball, I'd think. For the wings, you need something like a giant plastic washer that will just almost but not quite fit over the ball.

Pay a bluish oak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:33 am 

Brilliant, but how would you assemble it? Force the last bit in similar to assembling a Rubik's 2x2x2, and praying nothing breaks?

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:07 pm 

Noah wrote:
Brilliant, but how would you assemble it? Force the last bit in similar to assembling a Rubik's 2x2x2, and praying nothing breaks?

Yeah, does the thing just hold itself together, or are there screws of some sort involved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:06 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Noah wrote:

Yeah, does the thing just hold itself together, or are there screws of some sort involved?

Thanks, glad you like it. Until I saw Okamoto's construction, I wasn't sure if it would be even possible to build. I'm guessing his is design is at least somewhat similar.

Here's a picture of another design I had. It's a bit fancier--the wings are spherical, hence harder to manufacture by hand--but, the core is a bit more finished, you can see how it has a bit of a lip. The center pieces have a lip that extend down into the core, so they just snap into the core--kind of like a bottle cap. Except inverted, so the face of the core is the bottle cap, and the bottom of the center piece is the bottle.

So to assemble, you just snap all the center pieces to the core except for one, put in all pieces except for one face, then assemble one whole face and snap it to the core.

You could probably do something similar with circle clips, like what they do with bearings to hold the races in.

Attachments:
File comment: Spherical Donut Cube, exploded
donut cube - rounded - exploded-1.jpg
donut cube - rounded - exploded-1.jpg [ 93.83 KiB | Viewed 4567 times ]

Pay a bluish oak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:22 pm 

Wow, that's a really cool design.

Who will be the first to make it? I'm sure someone here has access to a good-quality rapid prototype machine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:58 pm 

so, after all this time, there hasnt been any actualy knowledge of how the actual cube works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:30 am 

When I tried it at the IPP, I could identify some tracks, the same way as the drawings above.

But building it, is a completely different story...!

I hope that answers your question. :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:29 am 

I can confirm, that Pantazis tried the Void cube.

Attachments:
File comment: Pantazis and Void cube in his hands.
Peter_Void.jpg
Peter_Void.jpg [ 23.7 KiB | Viewed 2762 times ]

Special puzzles
Pucks
Free items for sale/trade - first page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:31 am 

Milan wrote:

LOL that was an excellent shot Milan! The parity issue which has puzzled many is in view.

I managed to solve it using my favourite technique: "scrambling it and solving it again!" :P
(well... it worked for the 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 too!!!)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:30 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
Milan wrote:

LOL that was an excellent shot Milan! The parity issue which has puzzled many is in view.

I managed to solve it using my favourite technique: "scrambling it and solving it again!" :P
(well... it worked for the 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 too!!!)

Pantazis

I just do M or M', then use Roux to finish the F2L again. :wink:

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:28 am 

Thomas wrote:
I think that Katsuhiko Okamoto indeed made this cube similar to the design that wwwmwww proposed (see viewtopic.php?p=47425#47425).

I guess the four pieces move as a unit because, while there are a few pieces missing, there is something in the tracks there. Am I making sense?

Thomas

Yes, you are making sense to me and yes I see how that could work but I like some of the ideas that have been presented later in this thread better.

To be honest I just found this thread yesterday after seeing the latest update here:

http://www.mathpuzzle.com/

I followed that here:

http://www.johnrausch.com/DesignCompetition/2007/default.htm

Which lead to me searching for and finding this thread here. I must admite I'm surprised to see a link to my own thread show up in this one. A sure sign I need to hang out here more. Anyways... I've got two basic questions.

(1) Is Katsuhiko Okamoto the first one to make one of these? I think I recall seeing one years ago. I even mentioned that fact here:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5653#41325

Read the second to last sentence. It was my memory of that cube that gave me the idea for my design. Now I'm left to wonder if I dreamed the whole thing. I recall seeing pictures of a void cube and it's mechansim being discussed maybe 10 years ago. However this thread and this one:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3836

really have me wondering if I'm actually dreaming up puzzles. Odd...

(2) I own a few Katsuhiko Okamoto puzzles. They aren't cheap but they sure are quality puzzles. Does anyone know if he's sold any of his Void Cubes? If so it looks like I missed out.

Carl