Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Waiting period for new users
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:41 am 

I formally request that new members not be allowed to post within the first week or so of singing up. So they have time to peruse the forum and instead of posting ill thought out and impulsive threads.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:39 pm 

I'm not so in favor of this. I think what we should do is new users only have access to a forum for new users until they get full member status.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:01 pm 

Scott Bedard wrote:
I'm not so in favor of this. I think what we should do is new users only have access to a forum for new users until they get full member status.

Or just only allow members who are referred by other members from here...

honestly, there's been nothing but spam and crap posts - bumping old threads, asking the same questions over and over...

this is really turning this site sour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm 

I agree, but I have yet another idea: give new users 'beginner' status and let them only post in the (new) Beginners board. Then, at any time, a member who is not a beginner can 'vote' on a beginner to be promoted to a full user; and if a beginner receives three (or so) votes they become a full user and are allowed to post everywhere.

The only objection to this general idea that I've seen is the fact that beginners would not be allowed to post in topics for ordering puzzles. The solution to that is to allow people to order topics by sending a PM to the topic creator as well, so that any user at all would be able to order the puzzles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:34 pm 

Or a post that has to be approved first. Then have people to vote to see if this person can become a user or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:17 pm 

The problem is you're trying to find a technical solution to a social problem. If you make someone wait a week to post, they're just going to wait a week and post exactly what they would anyways. I believe there are plenty of people that have joined in the last year that start up just fine. They make informative posts, are respectful, etc. I can't give you names, because it's those people that just blend into the community well.

The people that log in, post 10 threads a day, reply to every thread that's in existance, use a bunch of incorrect spelling and grammar, are cynical when people inform them of searching are the ones that are causing the problems. And the reason they do that is because they see a bunch of other people doing that. That's the problem that needs to be fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:51 pm 

Another flexible idea (which hopefully is easy to implement inside the forum software code) would be to allow a certain number of posts (say two) per day, for the first month.

Then the new members will think VERY carefully what they post as well as being forced to familiarise themselves with the way this forum works. And I believe two posts per day is more than enough, as most of the members here have an average lower than that!

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm 

How about a waiting period where people may only make a certain # of posts per day until they are full users?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:23 pm 

Scott, read Pentazis post. :)

We don't anything like a beginner board or a beginner rank. We just need more stickies.

Also, people have to wait to be accepted to be a member now, so I don't think stopping people from posting is a good idea. Think about it, some of the most well known speedcubers/puzzle makers/etc could join and be called beginners. This also doesn't make people feel good about themselves.

In my opinion, if I joined a forum and got labeled a beginner, I wouldn't be best pleased.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:57 am 

I agree With Pembo's Idea for sticky Topics, They do help a lot in my opinion. They allow for people to read about the common things instead of just posting the same thing over and of and annoying member's that have been around for a year or longer (Even some New members that blended in quick :) ) Honestly it would give people a better reason to get upset about some one posting something Like that, because its sticky right at the top of the forum.

The waiting is not such a good idea, Its discouraging, and could make people not want to stay around, along with labeling them as a newbie. If Erno him self joined this forum him self, he would be labeled a newb :P Doesn't make much sense. And I know when I joined not to long ago, I had to wait 2 weeks already just for my account to activate, Another week Might have driven me mad.

And for me as much as Bumping old posts. If it is something useless like, "Wow, Cool puzzle" On a puzzle made 3 years ago, I can see that being Annoying. (Really annoying) but if your bumping an old topic (no mater how old) and adding new light I see no problem, Same goes for making a new topic about the same thing, when there is Something new to say or talk about it.

As for limiting the number of posts per day for new users. When I joined there were some days where I'd visit the forum 3 times a day and post each time, and other times where I wouldn't post for a few weeks, I think that if its possible in the forum software used. That if other people think that this is a good idea that 2 posts a day is to small and 5 is to much.

Summary:
Sticky = good
Waiting to post = bad
Bumping = case dependent
Limiting = does not matter to me at all

LeeG

Post subject: A newbie reply
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:34 pm 

Greetings,

I'm a new member (as of five minutes ago). I'd like to support the opinion that not all new members are idiots. I've been reading the site for about a week now, after discovering the "Building Forum." I decided to register today because I intend on participating in that forum once I finish some current projects.

I belong to several forums on the internet and they all have the same problems that you describe. I think tolerance is the key. As it was stated in this thread, punishing responsible new members should be avoided.

If a new member is becoming "something of a pain." You could advise them as to the proper forum etiquette and if that is not effective, why not limit their privileges for a few days. The "punishments" could grow if the offender doesn't wise up. This way, the only members hurt are those who are unable to follow the agreed upon rules of the forum.

Cheers,

Kevin Roberge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:03 pm 

A one post per day limit until they become "good" members. Sometimes new members sign up so they can ask a question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:10 pm 

What is a good member?

Gungz could sign up and would be classed as not good even lthough, I am guessing, he would have a lot of valuable information to add here.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);