Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Should the Twistypuzzles.com forums have many new sub-forums?
Yes 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 14 ]
Just a few important ones 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Not now, maybe later 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Don't know/ Don't care/ Abstain 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject: Subforums (Lots)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:28 pm 

Since now is a time of change in this forum, we somewhat need to decide what approach we're taking. This forum is heading into a very broad area now...
I think we need a few subforum categories, because sifting and such is fetting annoying. If people like the few categories we have, that's fine; I just think we should set this forum up for long-term practicality.

The old rubiks.has.it forum (which just moved to http://www.speedsolving.com/index.php ) has a few sub-forums, but I think we need a lot more.

I suggest:

General Topics:
    -Physical aspects to puzzles (assembling, lubing, fixing)
    (maybe under Puzzle Building? But no one would find it there)
    -Help requests & Clarifications (e.g. Does anyone know a link for so-and-so? I need someone for this-and-that? Am I thinking right here?)
    -Competitions (& get-togethers?)

Speedcubing:
    --------> Beginners (definitely need this, maybe as a separate main forum?) <--------
    -Solutions
    (maybe also one just for Fridrich?)
    -Algorithms?
    (is it possible to put a post into two subforums?)
    -Guides
    -Blindfolded
    -One-Handed
    -Videos
    -Fewest Moves?
    -Patterns, etc.?
    -Ideas (e.g. Will this work? has anyone tried this?)
    -Help requests (e.g. Anyone know an alg for this? Someone else wanna try/ever tried this?)

Puzzle Building
    -Finished projects
    -Ideas, Tests, Suggestions, & Experiments
    -Modifications? (just minor ones?)
    -Stickers, inserts (i.e. Magic), and other visual modifications
    -Guides

Marketplace
    -eBay
    -online stores
    -trades, sales, & offers

Yes? No? Good idea? Maybe later? Never?
The only negative I see is organization and comprehensiveness, especially for the moderators.
This did come up once before: http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2410

But shouldn't it be possible to just post into a forum and tag it with a sub-forum category? So Speedcubing would still be Speedcubing, but you can go look at only the posts, say, in the "blindfolded" category?
I'm setting up a poll, just to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:49 pm 

Less = better, in my opinion.

I think we have all the forums we need now, except for help requests, scrap that. People think that's where you for help, where it is actually where Sandy asks for help on the forum.

Perhaps change that to a Community forum, with the "who's who" thread in there. And also announcements from Sandy/Mods plus, use it as a place where you can discuss absence from the forums or possible meets with people, say you are visiting somewhere on holiday and you want to meet a fellow member.

As I was saying, the less forums the better I say. When I log on, I don't want to to have to visit 10+ separate forums with 1 new post in just one thread when I can visit 2 and read them all that way. It just takes to long to browse in my opinion.

The forums we have now cover the major heading threads fall under:
Speed, Building and Miscellaneous (Puzzle related but not to with speed or building) .

Leaving it at a few also means there is less chance for people to post in the wrong forums, which takes a lot of work off mods.

the only plus point is that it is easier to search for particular topics, but for new comers, there is a big chance they will be searching in the wrong forums anyway, so the same questions are likely to come up (and in the wrong forum).

I have also noticed those subforums are very similar to speedsolving.com....if that's the case, doesn't that make one site obsolete?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:18 am 

I will put in my two cents.

Personally, I do agree. Subforums do allow for expansion and make it easier to find what you're looking for, however, inactivity in certain forums can lead other problems.

I proposed this to Sandy several weeks ago:
When I started cubing a year and some months ago, I couldn't find a good place to ask for help, etc. Yes, there was the Yahoo group, but I absolutely hated the layout and the email setup, however, when you get used to it, it isn't a problem. Anyways, that was why Joel Van Noort and I came up with the idea to start an actual forum, rubiks.has.it. About 6 months later, I found this forum. Of course, the rubiks.has.it was already growing so we just let it grow. Since, it has really taken off. Of course, the whole point of creating that community was to allow people to discuss in the format of a forum, which I certainly prefer, and many others do. I do/did not want to split the community. Several weeks ago I contacted Sandy to see if TP and the rubiks.has.it would be interested in combining into one, more powerful community, since I already had plans of upgrading the rubiks.has.it forum. Sandy sent me a reply stating that the only way to combine would be for rubiks.has.it to merge into TP, which I understand completely, considering that it has been around for many years as opposed to a relatively new rubiks.has.it. I would be fine with that, as long as the merge would be into upgraded software (of course, that would be 1 reason of the merge, since I was planning to upgrade already) such as vBulletin, the leading forum software that exists today. Currently, TP is running phpBB, which is fine, but doesn't come close to matching the customizations/develope of vBulletin. Another reason I wanted to upgrade to vBulletin is to hoping bring all the communities into one, such as the Yahoo, TP, and rubiks.has.it, along with possibly some other languages of forums. With vBulletin, I can setup and RSS feed which users can subscribe to and be sent via email, and to reply would require you to click a link and reply there. Although this isn't ideal to the mail-ing list like Yahoo, it is the closest thing you can get, and would hopefully be enough to convince guys from Yahoo to join. Onside of that, I would be able to import all of the posts from all the Yahoo cube related groups (BLD/Memo/Speedsolving) into the forum where you can then search all posts between all the merged forums (vBulletin has an excellent search function BTW). Those were the two main problems why most of the people from the Yahoo group didnt want to join forums: mailing list feature and loss of posts (lots of information). Now that the rubiks.has.it forum has been upgraded, it could of course take care of both of those needs.

I have not even proposed this idea to anyone yet really, but it is something to consider. With 3 growing communities, it seems that the cubing communication online is splitting. People will end up checking 3 different places for info. It would be much easier if everyone combined into 1, what do you think? Of course, if this happened, we would all work as a team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:04 am 

I am a non-speedsolver, and from my point of view, the forums are fine as they are now, and I really can't see any future problem. The only issue we had encountered was spam, which has already been taken care of. Making more forums will confuse more.

Just my 10 drachma! :D

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:16 am 

I think if you look at your suggested subforums, most of your suggestions are in the speedcubing area. I would guess this to be the area where there is the most to be gained with splitting things up, and I'm guessing others who frequent speedcubing and other site forums might find more categories useful. I'm guessing people who keep to the the other forums might not want so many subforums.

I happen to fall into that latter category (I just don't have the time to go through all the forums and skip out on Off Topic and Speedcubing) it wouldn't bother me much if things were expanded inside Speedcubing, but I'm not sure much would be gained in the other areas now that Puzzle Building has been broken out as its own category.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:45 am 

it took a huge group of members here to get the new puzzle building forum (which as a builder myself i am 100% for btw)... But i think we've got plenty. Simpler is better in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:48 pm 

These are my $.02.

Sure I can understand where your coming from and like the idea only if have we have 100,000 to 5,000 active users on line any given minute and they make a lot of the same questions/posts/topics then I can see that having a subform or you could make everything a sticky post in the form allready there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:31 pm 

i think lucas Garron is right they should have sub forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:51 pm 

I'll just list the forums how I want them.

TwistPuzzles.com :
- Subforums: (News/Announcements), (Suggestions/User Requests)
Solving : (TP Only)
- Subforums: (NxNxN Solving), (BLD), (General/Other)
Puzzle Building :
- Subforums: (Creating), (Completed Puzzles)
Marketplace :
Off-Topic:
- Subforums: (Puzzles), (General)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:41 pm 

I like Thom's suggestions, yet I think the Solving subforums should be separated differently.

Speedsolving/Algorithms
Method/Experimental

Or something. I don't know.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:14 am 

I don't think we need any more subforums. People are already posting in wrong places (even if a thread starts well, it'll probably go off-topic at some point).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:47 am 

More subforums are just going to cause more arguments as to which one it belongs into anyway. So even more rubbish fills up in threads.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:02 pm 

LOL The problem is that it IS broken. People post in the wrong section because there aren't ENOUGH forums. you people are so backwards...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:33 pm 

People only post in the wrong section for two reasons, one is that they are not paying attention, the other is that though they pay attention they do not understand. The first is something we can't fix, the second will not be fixed by adding subforums.

I only I see problems in two places and neither of those places is an absent subforum.

The first is in the title of, "Help Requests & User Contributions," a lot of people read that and think that it means they post help requests there. This could be solved by calling it, "Site Help Requests & User Contributions."

The other problem is that General Topics is subtitled, "Most messages belong in here." And Off Topic is subtitled, "The perfect place for all those non-puzzle topics." which implies that non-twisty puzzles (word puzzles for example) should be discussed in General Topics when in actuality they should be discussed in Off Topic.

If there is an interest in non-twisty puzzles, I have not seen one, then perhaps there should be a non-twisty puzzle subforum of Off Topic but more likely the best solution would be another relatively minor change: a change of the description of General Topics or Off Topic, or both, to make explicit that General topics is for General twisty puzzle topics and, therefore, other discussion of other types of puzzles belongs in Off Topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:06 am 

Eactly, the forums are so broad, it is confusing on where to post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:55 am 

At this stage, less is definitely more. More subsections simply mean people will drop messages into the wrong place more often. Still, it's Sandy's call.