Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jurgen Brand has done it again!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:40 pm 

Check out http://www.puzzle-shop.de/brand.html for his latest creations. There's 4 new puzzles there. It should be pretty obvious what (s?)he used as a model this time. :) L8r.

Post subject: Freakish!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:06 pm 

Its really hard to believe you could make such an amazing looking puzzle!! all of them, but particularly top right and bottiom left...

Kind of like all the skewb shapes, it makes different pieces have different meaning. eg on a normal megaminx centres dont have a visible rotation (not counting mefferts grained stickers / tiles). but some of these do. however, this seems to be at the expense of losing the orientation of the corners. id like to see an "ultimate megaminx" which (like the untimate skewb) gives a rotation to every piece. the possible positions would be astounding! unlike some puzzles, any twist of a single centre is possible.

Post subject: Amazing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:40 pm 

Wow,

That looks like a lot of work to get a megaminx to look like that. Looks like a lot of sticker work also.

Post subject: Have I seen these before?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:20 pm 
Or am I going mad! I know there is a Megaminx Ball on Sandy's site, but I am sure I have seen the others. Maybe I saw them at the Puzzle Museum and am getting confused.

I am sure J├╝rgen Brandt is a he, would be an unusual name for a woman! Hendrik?

Max

Post subject: True, but...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:58 pm 
I think the reason you can rotate a single centre on a Megaminx is due to the fact that you can swap two edges. So this only happens on the 6 coloured jobs.

I might be wrong though, started having doubts as I type this ?!?

Max

Post subject: Re: True, but...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:58 pm 

a single turn of a face induces a 5-cycle of corners and edges which are even permutations. so a face may be twisted so that the centre is in the desired orientation, and then the corners and edges put into place 'the long way'.

true, you can only 'swap' two edges if the thing is 6 coloured (10 coloured?).