Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dynacube from Daniel Tseng
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:05 am 

Wake guys and girls!!!

I bought a 3x3x3 and a 2x2x2 Dynacube from Daniel Tseng, he has come up with a new puzzle concept using Magic Attractors. The 3x3x3 can behave like a normal 3x3x3 cube, but with a layer turn-over move, you will have some idea of an extra dimension.

So the 3x3x3 is a real puzzle challenge! Although it is not a solid twisty puzzle, the possibilities in this puzzle concept is very nice.

So for the true puzzler the 3x3x3 18 colour Dynacube is a MUST (I received my Dynacube in a handmade box!)

So compliments to Daniel Tseng on his concept and compliments for the craftsmanship in the way he builded the puzzles. :)

see also
[url=message457.htm]http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=43402&messageid=1036223633[/url]

Post subject: me too
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:02 am 

I purchased a 2x2x2 (i dont have a budget like Ton's :) ) from daniel. It is a great idea, but stronger magnets could be used, and it would be a lot better as a production, of plastic, instead of wood. But as a prototype... AMAZING!
GET ONE AS SOON AS U CAN!!

Post subject: My thoughts too
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:35 pm 

Unfortunately i dont have one of these, but the thing i like about the idea is that there are practically no limits. This is shown by the fact that daniel has made a 6x6x6 cube and an order 5 pyraminx when even an order 4 seems very tricky...

Id love to see these in an affordable/production type deal. Just out of interest, is it rude to ask for a rough indicator of the cost of daniels cubes? im very interested...

Post subject: Here & speed cubing.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:30 am 
Check out this post

[url=message457.htm]http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=43402&messageid=1036223633[/url]

He has links to the items on eBay, including prices.

One thing did occur to me. How about adding strong magic attractors to the corner cubies of a regular, very loose speed cube! I think it would help with finger tricks etc. A sort of self-aligning cube!

Max

Post subject: 3x3x3 vs 2x2x2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:02 am 

The 3x3x3 has smaller cubies and works fine. The 2x2x2 should be made with smaller cubies to work like the 3x3x3.

I just tried to solve the Dynacube with the normal 3x3x3 moves + a face turn over. I just ended on the F2L. So with these moves I have to design some algoritmes to turn over the last layer cubies comparable with 3-cycle.

Post subject: Information of Magic Attractor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:35 am 
Thank you for the compliments.
The Complete Specification Document of Magic Attractor (NZ 517258)
had been accepted and published, and I will file the International Patent Application soon.
The patent will include the Magic Attractor itself and the Magic Attractor based puzzle parts
(3-D connectable blocks).

I had made some Magic Attractor based puzzles, and sent a
DYNACUBE 3x3x3 (MA) 18-Colour to a special friend,
sold 1 Simplex-Star 4-colour puzzle , 1 Helio-Solid Puzzle, 1 Simplex-Star Speller,
1 DYNACUBE 2x2x2 (MA) 10-Colour & 1 DYNACUBE 3x3x3 (MA) 18-Colour on e-bay,
and accepted Tyler¡¦s offer, I sold him a DYNACUBE 2x2x2 (MA) 8-colour.

Some of the buyers asked me if I can help them to make some MAs, I answered them like that
¡§Sorry! I sold you the Magic Attractor based puzzle, but not the Intellectual Property.
Please do not re-produce the MA publicly (It is my monopolistic right !) I did not sell the right to you !¡¨

I have no plan to sell more Magic Attractor based puzzles at the moment, because ¡V
(1). I am busy in developing a new puzzle, and hope it will be finished as soon as possible.
(2). At least two manufacturers are very interesting in the Magic Attractor idea, and I prefer
to sell the intellectual property. (But it is pity the progress of negotiation is unpredictable!)

Thanks again for the interests.

Daniel

Post subject: Thats great!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:10 pm 

Daniel, Im glad you might be able to seel the intellectual property of your idea. Hopefully you can get rich that way so you dont need to get rich by selling the cubes at high prices! That way were all happy! I want to buy enough for a 6x6x6, but if thats 27 lots of US$50, i think i cant afford it... :( but maybe after they are manufactured...

Can i ask, who is interested? Or is that secret at the moment?

Post subject: Re: Thats great!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:10 pm 

Thank James,
Sorry for the 6x6x6 ! I am not able to sell you enough cubes to form another 6x6x6, and DO NOT want to hand make the second one, for it is a very boring work! (Making thousands of Magic Attractors, sanding hundreds of wood cubes to be in the exact size, ........ ).

The cost of each prototype is very high, I give you an example -
In the beginning, It cost NZ$100 to cut 100 wood cubes
(and not of the accurate size!) Try to cut the wood cubes by your hand, you will find the difficulty.

Sorry for the confidential matter. I think it is better to disclose the negotiation result by the buyer, (not by me), and I really could not predict when the agreement would be prepared!

Thanks again.

Daniel

Post subject: Speedcube /Dynacube magnets
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:33 pm 

I think the forces (your hand and fingers) used on the cube when speedcubing are very strong. So I do not think your idea will help a lot using a lose cube. Most speedcubist use a lot of force when turning. So in many cases the cube is not lose but tight, but lubricated!

When you would use a lose cube, the risk on popping pieces is very high when speedcubing.

But your idea can help to let the cubies automatic align, even the sound of the magnets will help. I will contact Daniel if he is willing to sell some magnets.

Thanks for the idea!

Post subject: This is what I meant
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:33 pm 
by loose I meant very well lubricated and easy turning, not a cube that will fall apart.

When I try to solve quickly (45 sec to 1 min range) I spend a lot of time aligning the cube for the next turn, I figured the attractors might help with this. You can "feel" when two magnets align. I don't understand what you mean by hearing the magnets align?

Previous experiments to sand the mech of a cube so that it will turn whilst poorly aligned resulted in a cube that falls apart.

I am not serious about speed cubing, nearly a minuite isn't going to break any records! But I like having a fast cube to impress friends and family. For them this is a fast time. I should show the vids of times under 20 sec!

Oh, and I think you can buy the magnets here!

http://www.bjlink.com/product.htm

Max :wink: