Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Diamond Skewb
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2000 8:50 am 

Well I just received Meffert's Diamond Skewb. It
has plastic color triangles (8 colors). The
mechanism turns well but seems to really loosen
up when turned counterclockwise.

I mixed it up and so far have gotten it back to
two interesting states.
1- two adjacent sides solved with the rest of the
puzzle having different color centers.

2- two opposite sides of the top diamond solved
with the rest of the puzzle having different color
centers.

I'm not sure which is the better starting point
to figure a swap sequence to the final solution
but I've only put in about 2 hours into the puzzle

Post subject: diamond skewb
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 8:50 am 

I just got mine a couple of days ago. I scrambled it, and solved it once, but haven't scrambled it again, because I would like to work out a few more different center swaps.
The first center swap I figured out preserves two and shuffles the other six in various matters, it requires 8 twists.
The second one preserves four centers, and swaps the other four. This requires 10 twists.
The third one (and probably the most useful) is very similar to the second, it preserves 5 centers, and shuffles the other three, it also requires 10 twists.

All three of these sets of moves are very easy to remember because they are all an easy pattern. If you would like to know these moves, please email me. I suppose I could post up my findings, but it may ruin it for people that would have liked to figure it out on their own.

I haven't devised a method yet for getting the corners, I am not sure if what I did the first time was luck, or if it is just pretty easy.

Overall, I think it is a great puzzle, in that it's mechanism is very smooth (much better than the pyramorphix) also, it is not impossible, yet very difficult to solve on accident.

Post subject: Diamond and other skewbs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2000 11:20 pm 

Diamond skewb is a great rookie from the magic puzzle platoon! Mechanism works perfectly, plastic tiles look very reliable. I received mine this morning and managed to solve it several times during short brakes.

Diamond is the simplest puzzle from the whole skewb family. Solving cube shaped skewb to orientate 8 corners is most difficult part. Diamond's 8 triangles must be only placed correctly - orientation doesn't matter. Orientation of 6 apices is simpler task, because of two not three orientations and 6 not 8 elements.

Ultimate skewb will combine both tasks. Of course, we already have The Creative Puzzle Ball (or Mefferts Challenge) which is equivalent to Ultimate skewb. But what is nice in Ultimate skewb - impossibility to turn a piece with two apices by 90 degrees is evident to everybody!

All you need to solve a Diamond is elementary commutator ABA'B' and a bit of ingenuity. Cyril Castella explained some details, check out the Skewb solution at
http://www.chez.com/3c99/cube/index.html
...especially if you understand French.

Post subject: diamond skewb problem
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2000 2:35 am 

Has anyone else found a defect in the new Meffert
puzzle? My diamond skewb falls apart when I turn
the sides counterclockwise. If I catch it in time
I can tighten the puzzle back up by reversing
the rotation.

Post subject: The screw
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2000 2:35 am 

My friend Warwick just received our skewb diamonds. Although I haven't seen it yet, my diamond does fall apart.

This is likely to be the screw or washer being stuck against the sides of the hole and spinning when the sides are turned.

The screw is meant to be free (thanks to the spring that loads tension on it) and not turn with the puzzle. You may need to clear the hole a little in case there's any refuse plastic or gunk connecting with the screw.

I'll post here more when I get mine and fix it. These things happen sometimes.

If you can't fix it, Uwe Meffert's customer support has been excellent from what I've heard, and he will make arrangements.