Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: idea for a new search option
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:07 pm 

Hello everyone,

I’m the new kid on the block and I’ve already posted my mini bio.
Let me just say: This is a great site! Thank you Sandy!

I’ve always enjoyed searching the internet for other peoples collections and compare them to mine. And this leads directly to what this post is about:

I would like to be able not only to search for a certain puzzle in the database, but also in other peoples collections. That way if I have a new puzzle I could see how many other people have – or better yet: who has - this puzzle, as well.

What do you think?

Celia

Post subject: Re: idea for a new search option
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:08 pm 

Celia wrote:
Hello everyone,

I’m the new kid on the block and I’ve already posted my mini bio.
Let me just say: This is a great site! Thank you Sandy!

I’ve always enjoyed searching the internet for other peoples collections and compare them to mine. And this leads directly to what this post is about:

I would like to be able not only to search for a certain puzzle in the database, but also in other peoples collections. That way if I have a new puzzle I could see how many other people have – or better yet: who has - this puzzle, as well.

What do you think?

Celia

Sounds like an excellent idea. Sadly it seems Sandy hasn't had much time to devote to the site lately so I wouldn't expect to see this anytime soon. I'm sure if he does find some time for puzzles again this would be a nice addition.

I suppose someone could write an external script that could pull the collection pages and sort through them for this information. It would not be as efficient as just querying the database itself, but is certainly doable.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:29 pm 

Wayne (sausage) is a moderator. Can he do any programing other than editting posts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:35 pm 

I think the first priority with new features here is to update the database.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:26 pm 

I agree with you there Pembo!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:27 pm 

I know I have no right to say this but I think Sandy needs to assign a more active member to keep the database (and even the forums in some cases) in order.

I have noticed Wayne posting more often lately though.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:17 pm 

Pembo wrote:
I know I have no right to say this but I think Sandy needs to assign a more active member to keep the database (and even the forums in some cases) in order.

I have noticed Wayne posting more often lately though.

My understanding of the problem, gleaned from a conversation with Sandy some months ago when I was cleaning up some photos for entry to the database, is as follows (and may be considered to be incomplete):

Currently only the site owner can update the content database. Giving access to anyone but Sandy opens up the entire site to them, which is a bit too much access to share around.

The site code allows a forum Moderator (a subset of the site's functionality) to have certain access below complete control (adding/deleting users, forum controls, etc.), which is why we are able to have one (sausage).

Sandy mentioned another site he has worked on that has code to allow content moderators a subset of site access for adding content, and if he gets time his intent would be to bring this code over to TwistyPuzzles. This would allow a few trusted members to assist in the content side, but not open up the entire site to them.

The problem with this is that it is not necessarily simple to merge in this code, and it seems Sandy's time is quite limited. I know it is his wish, as well as all of ours, to get to this point soon but we have to be patient. The sad irony is that it is going to take some time and effort from Sandy to allow others to help him and save him... time and effort. A bit of a Catch-22, and the only way out is not in our hands.

Sandy has done a great thing with this site (and lets give proper respect to the sites it grew from as well), and while it's a shame we are at an impass I think the best thing is for all of us to be happy with the great job he has done and hope he gets time to make it even better soon.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:18 am 

I agree.

I am not trying to push Sandy into things, I know Sandy is busy and when he gets the time I am sure he will fix a few things here or there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:46 am 

Welcome to the forum Celia!

And I must say, your homepage is nice! :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:13 pm 

Pembo wrote:

You're right. I didn't know Sandy had so little time. I merely thought people just hadn't sent in any new data.

kastellorizo wrote:
Welcome to the forum Celia!

And I must say, your homepage is nice! :)

Pantazis

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:14 pm 
i agree with pembo (we could use sudokubes and some other popular ebay selling items. i also agree that that would be a grear search option

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:21 am 

It's not so much that the forum needs fixing. there are just new things to be added and some things that need constant changing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:06 am 

Quote:

Yes!. I agree too.

My vote for the database update task! :)