Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wow, Tomy Megaminx for $112.50 on ebay!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:00 am 

Wow, I can't believe that an original Tomy Megaminx went for over $100. I think that is a little higher than normal. I haven't seen to many of these any more but the new Meffert ones are $28 or so aren't they.
Just thought this was interesting.

Post subject: How 'Bout that Pocket Cube?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 7:21 am 
Boy, and I was shocked to see a pocket cube sell (on eBay today) for $53! This pocket cube was titled, "Rare & Unusual Rubik's 4 block Cube!!". Hmm. What if we offered a "Very Rare Original Rubik 3x3x3 Puzzle"?

Post subject: You're not wrong
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:42 pm 

I seem to remember seeing someone try and sell a 3x3x3 cube as a piece or rare nostalgia. I think there were two identical posts - both without boxes or anything. They looked like the most cheapo imitations ever. I dont know whether they sold though, and what for if they did. :wink:

Post subject: here it is
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 7:42 pm 

I found the article again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1624043471

you should check it out. it may be your LAST CHANCE to own a rare "rubik's cube". And for an "alltime low price". Why not buy all 5 for that extra investment?

Post subject: Tomy Megaminx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:53 am 

This is a bit surprising for a Tomy Megaminx without the original case, but the Tomy Megaminxes are starting to really get hard to find. What usually happens is two or more serious collectors start a bidding war, which of course drives up the price.

A rare original piece with the casing unopened can go for a lot. For example, the original Rubik's Wahn with the transparent cylindrical case and unbroken seal went for over $500 U.S.

You have the puzzle solvers who aren't as concerned with a puzzle in pristine mint condition, original packaging, and unbroken seals because those types want to play with the puzzle, and probably solve it many times. Then you have the preserver-type people who want the puzzle in museum quality condition, probably with no intention of ever opening it. The only way to have both worlds is to buy 2 of everything :)

I've met a few collectors of puzzles and board games. I know this one guy in Toronto who has one room filled to the ceiling with board games still in the cellophane. He has no intention on ever opening any of them. But what is the point of buying a game if you never open it? Once I asked him if he would ever consider selling me a few of his puzzles, and he acted horrified at the notion :-0

Personally, I'm more of a solver than a preserver, but I do like looking at pictures of mint puzzles in the original packaging. I suppose if there was a puzzle museum I'd visit it, but it would be a bit frustrating not to be able to touch them. To me, the puzzles exist to use them, not to just put them on a shelf. I do buy 2 or more of the same puzzle as a general rule though.

Mark

Post subject: I Want to Play With Them, Too
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 6:22 pm 

I'm with you, Mark. I gotta play with them to enjoy them. Even if I end up with two, I'd rather pop one open to see the inside than preserve it in mint condition.

Maybe the answer is to buy three!

Post subject: Untitled
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 7:54 am 

I was compelled to respond, because you are right, there IS, 2 kinds of puzzle collectors, those who just collect the puzzles that are mint condition i.e (original box, with unbroken seals, etc.) and those of us who buy them to play with and try and solve them,(...isn`t that the fun part ! )

I guess I am sort of a Dr. Jeckyl & M. Hyde, because, I do both :wink:

I had receive the original Rubik's 3 x 3 x 3 made in Hungary by Ideal (transparent cylindrical case)
as a 1980 Xmas gift, and only seconds after opening the container, well, my father mixed it up real good
......anyway, I now always buy two puzzles, I keep one unopened, and the other one I play with.

And like everyone who "follows-the-cube-puzzles-offered-on-ebay" once in a while you wonder why someone will pay SO MUCH for a puzzle that is not extremely rare, and then again, we all have are own stories of winning a cherished puzzle for peanuts ! (in my case I finally found that 1980 Cube like the one I had received in 1980, mint condition, unopened seal for 9.99 GBP. (No, my father won't be allowed near it !! :)

And by the way: Who hasn't said to himself at least one in his life:
..."I wish I had kept the original box & instructions !!
Personally, I think that the packaging IS a part of the puzzle.

Michael

Post subject: Why only three??
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:24 am 

You need to buy one to play with, one to open up and fiddle with, one for your shelf, but then at least another two to chop up and put back together as one beast! :wink:

Has anyone ever seen a siamese megaminx??

Post subject: Siamese megaminx & Board Games
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 1:24 am 
I haven't seen a siamese megaminx yet although I could probably make one myself (But why? I would just ruin two good megaminxes.) As for the board game collector, I am sorry to say that board games do not go for much except for some rare occasions. Even in thoes cases the price would be perhaps double the original price. Some games I know are valueable are CLUE MASTER DETECTIVE which is like clue but with more rooms, more weapons, and more suspects and ACQUIRE that has wooden tiles instead of plastic ones. (By the way, if you have never played acquire, it's an awesome game.)