Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pursuit of Happyness Cube
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:06 pm 

Looking here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blRLEzOQyZw the cube in the movie seems to have the logo on the center square and white opposite yellow. Are there other places in the movie another cube is used that wouldn't have the logo or yellow next to white?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:27 pm 

i noticed too that the cube that he uses in the movie is a current color scheme. if it was properly dated the cube that he would be using would be yellow and white next to each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:48 am 

I saw the movie twice and I am pretty sure that the cube in the scene where he uses it when he watches TV and solves F2L is a cube that has white opposite blue, not sure though.

Monday Contest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:00 am 

JIMBOB wrote:
The color scheme is a good point Adam Zamora. i never thought about that because I kept wanting to see the cube more then I did.

Yea in the movie it was hard to see the color scheme because the camera kept changing to the other character and the driver... In real life I'm not sure if he even solved the cube that fast because I think it jumped a little bit... (the way they edited the movie)... or it could have been the other way around because he does look like he is trying to struggle with it... (while us here easily solve it)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:34 am 

Skate Addicti0n wrote:
or it could have been the other way around because he does look like he is trying to struggle with it... (while us here easily solve it)...

But remeber, that film was set before there was a "speedcubing" community! So fingertricks wern't invented!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:56 am 

Wait, what year was it set? People were sub20 by the time of the World Champs....

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:16 pm 

Pembo wrote:
Wait, what year was it set? People were sub20 by the time of the World Champs....

'81.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:30 pm 

My apologies for this irrevent comment but am I the only one who was irritated that they put a cube into that movie? Every time I pull out my cube someone always has to say, "You know the Persuit of Happiness?" or the worst one, "Did you learn how to solve the cube from the movie?" It is extremely annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:27 pm 

Location: Enschede, The Netherlands, First room on the left on the 2nd floor.
I'm pretty happy with it. It gets the attention of the random joe (was it the 'random'?)
I'm even more happy that it is not another cheat but that he can actualy solve it and show that on tv so people know it's not a trick.

Edit: make that the average Joe instead then :)

Last edited by Erik on Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:29 pm 

Erik wrote:
It gets the attention of the random joe (was it the 'random'?)

Its normally "average joe"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:54 pm 

Hmm.. Was the movie not based on a true story? That might be why they had to cube in it. And funny story, My friend found an old cube and decided to learn to solve it (After watching some speed cubing on tv) That was about a month and a half ago. I decided I'd give it ago, All though I had a cube for a few years, Never Really Tryed it. So after thinking for a bit I remembered the bit about the centers not moving so I worked my way around that. and decided a plus was the way to start :P Got my self too the Last layer and Bottom Plus off that. So In a way you could say that I learnt to solve from that movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:09 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
if it was properly dated the cube that he would be using would be yellow and white next to each other.

Not true. Ideal Toy Corp. produced cubes in both flavors back then. I have some of each from that era.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:25 pm 

LeeMaster wrote:
Hmm.. Was the movie not based on a true story? That might be why they had to cube in it. And funny story, My friend found an old cube and decided to learn to solve it (After watching some speed cubing on tv) That was about a month and a half ago. I decided I'd give it ago, All though I had a cube for a few years, Never Really Tryed it. So after thinking for a bit I remembered the bit about the centers not moving so I worked my way around that. and decided a plus was the way to start :P Got my self too the Last layer and Bottom Plus off that. So In a way you could say that I learnt to solve from that movie.

actually, Chris Gardner couldn't actually solve a cube. They used it as a metaphor for hard work and determination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:31 pm 

IMDB has the following posted in the "goofs" section.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454921/goofs

Anachronisms: The original Rubik's cube did not have the logo on the center white square. This was added much later.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:03 am 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
IMDB has the following posted in the "goofs" section.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454921/goofs

Anachronisms: The original Rubik's cube did not have the logo on the center white square. This was added much later.

Wow, that's really not true. In fact, the movie used an authentic (classic) logo that was consistent with the cubes produced by Ideal at the time. I suspect they may have used a Studio Cube since those are visually identical to the early cubes.

The IMDB post may be referring to the various clone cubes which were prevalant (Wonderful Puzzler) that did not have any logos. Or it may refer to the REALLY early cubes from the late 70's-- those did not have a logo. But if the movie takes place in 1981, there were definitely logos at that time.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:12 pm 

gamemeister27 wrote:
LeeMaster wrote:

actually, Chris Gardner couldn't actually solve a cube. They used it as a metaphor for hard work and determination.

Well It was a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:10 pm 

Here's a screen shot from the movie, showing the cube. You can see that it has the classic logo that Ideal Toy cubes had in 1981. You can also see that yellow and green are adjacent, and that it's the standard BOY configuration. The shade of green is also consistent with a classic cube (more of a dark green). It could be the genuine article from 1981, or a Studio Cube. You can also see that Will Smith is solving it with white cross on left, like Tyson would have taught him.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:54 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Yay! No one bid on it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:52 pm 

I think I remember Chris (Cubesmith) mention that he made classic logo stickers for Tyson to supply for this cube.

Good thing nobody bid on the FAKE cube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:55 pm 

gamemeister27 wrote:

True. But Will Smith was able to...

blogan wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140111948564&rd=1&rd=1

Yay! No one bid on it!

I would buy it... I didn't know of it when it happened... but this is the cube that was used during the movie? only $10.00 plus $10.00 shipping... I could afford that! For the cube that was actually used by Will Smith... or was this a fake? If it was why was it put on eBay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:37 pm 

Skate Addicti0n wrote:
or was this a fake? If it was why was it put on eBay?

Fake. Profit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:42 pm 

Okay. Thanks for the information... I knew that it was for profit but I should have been more specific... wouldn't that be illegal to auction something on eBay that was a fake... saying it was used by Will Smith when it wasn't...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:09 pm 

I am always leary of someone saying that it "original used in movie" or "autographed" or "worn by this star" when they have zero or 1 feedback. That is the first sign to me that it is a fake to make a huge profit no matter what the item is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:10 pm 

I never trust online sites for rare celebrity items. I cut cut off a piece of my hair, say it's johnny dep's, and sell it for thousands! Or, I could fake a 360 elite auction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:31 pm 

Mr. Twisty, what is this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:33 pm 

I'm pretty sure that's the center sticker of a limited edtion of rubik's cube. Apparently, only 2500 were made. That thing is probibly worth a bunch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:47 pm 

pelley wrote:

Here you go and I'm glad I could help out a friend. It is made with pure silver and jems.

http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=228

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:07 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
pelley wrote:

Here you go and I'm glad I could help out a friend. It is made with pure silver and jems.

http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=228

Wow that's awesome. I'd read about those before but I never knew what the center logo looked like. Cool.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:03 pm 

It is not a sticker. It is engraved in the cap.

Came with a nice box too. The certificates I have are in poor shape though. It is very heavy for a cube :lol:

Attachments:
3-Limited_Edition_Silver_Cube_Case.JPG
3-Limited_Edition_Silver_Cube_Case.JPG [ 27.13 KiB | Viewed 1352 times ]
Sil.JPG
Sil.JPG [ 25.38 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:53 pm 

If it wasn't engraved in the cap then anyone could just get a sticker from cubesmith and pass it off as the real thing... It would be easy to make that sticker after you already took a picture of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:07 pm 

Skate Addicti0n wrote:
If it wasn't engraved in the cap then anyone could just get a sticker from cubesmith and pass it off as the real thing...

If they could figure out how to pass off collection of platic parts for pure silver and gems, I'm sure the sticker vs. cap issue wouldn't be that important.

Dave :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:39 pm 

Now I see there are many auctions with a box for the Happyness cube.

Are these being produced this way or is someone trying to make a buck and make cheap boxes?? Of course, they are selling the cubes cheap anyway so I don't see why they would do it to scam anyone.

:lol: :lol: :lol: They didn't even spell Happiness the same way it is in the movie. It has a "y" as in Happyness in the movie.

Attachments:
happy.jpg
happy.jpg [ 7.17 KiB | Viewed 2474 times ]