Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jimbob
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:11 am 

Jimbob has been spamming a lot recently. 78 Posts in the last few days! I have sent a kind PM to him asking why but with no reply. As many of you know he caused a large argument last year and it seems he is now speedposting. Most of us hate speedposting but he seems to be making one-line posts to up his total. After not posting for months :roll:

This is supposed to be a kind, helpful, mature forum but unfortunately it is turning to a speed posting forum. Can he please stop doing this!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:21 am 

My thoughts exactly....

viewtopic.php?p=57012#57012
viewtopic.php?p=57164#57164

I would not be surprised even if we find out that he is using more than one usernames...
(think about it... there are some pattern similarities...)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:59 pm 

I noticed that he was putting in irrealivent q's and comments that had already been covered as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:19 pm 

gamemeister27 wrote:
I noticed that he was putting in irrealivent q's and comments that had already been covered as well.

Not to be rude but isn't that one line?

My replies are usually short because I'm lazy and could expand but choose not to... I also think that this forum does have a lot of replies that are very short... but does it really matter? I can see how it can be annoying but you don't have to read it... So I guess maybe everyone should try just not posting without thinking if what they are typing is really really necesary? Now that I say that I'm starting to think if I should even post this one...

Last edited by Skate Addicti0n on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:22 pm 

it's one line, but it's relevent. The term one line means one line and not really helpful (i think...). Some of his posts are one word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:35 pm 

Sorry for posting so quickly, and the following because it is most-likely considered rude but, gamemeister27... I have noticed that you yourself have posted quite a bit and you are already a 4x4x4 in ranking which means you have posted quite a bit (302 posts to be exact) but you have not been a user very long (March 14, 2007). I have also not been a member very long but I don't post quite as often as you do and try not to unless I feel like I should... once again I am sorry for this but gamemeister27, you post an average of 7.02 posts per day... that is probably a lot more than anyone else in this forum posts... for example I have an average of 2.36 posts per day (still pretty high) and have a total of 173 posts... once again forgive me for being rude...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:44 pm 

I try to keep my posts relavent. Please inform me if they aren't. The reason for my high total poost count is that i really don't have much of a life right now. My sports are over, the prop crew is done for my play, and its still cold outside. I basically sit at my computer waiting for people to post. Notice that i really do try to keep them relavent to the topic at hand, and i dont bring up dead threads. (i did once when i was a noob :x ) I think my average will go down as the number of days since i joined goes down. Thats why the top posters have smaller averages, that and vacations. I think htis would be a good time to see how people have reacted to joining this forum. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:04 pm 

gamemeister27 wrote:
I think my average will go down as the number of days since i joined goes down. Thats why the top posters have smaller averages, that and vacations. I think htis would be a good time to see how people have reacted to joining this forum. Any thoughts?

the number of days go up surely?

Also, I have a pretty high post count...and I have had a lot of weekends away from the forums.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:19 pm 

I have been keeping a close eye on things. Right now I'm not too concerned about the postings.

However, I do know who operates two accounts and will be stopping that soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:10 pm 

Cool, I have always wondered if people use to accounts to make their arguments seem more valid. I will be taking many weekends away from this, this summer, because i'm going up north :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:35 pm 

Everyone could be 6x6's, and I could be a 1x1, and I could care less.

I just don't care to read through 20 updated threads in each section only to realize I could have skipped more than half of them - because of all the useless things that are said...

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:30 pm 

gamemeister27 wrote:
I try to keep my posts relavent. Please inform me if they aren't. The reason for my high total poost count is that i really don't have much of a life right now. My sports are over, the prop crew is done for my play, and its still cold outside. I basically sit at my computer waiting for people to post. Notice that i really do try to keep them relavent to the topic at hand, and i dont bring up dead threads. (i did once when i was a noob :x ) I think my average will go down as the number of days since i joined goes down. Thats why the top posters have smaller averages, that and vacations. I think htis would be a good time to see how people have reacted to joining this forum. Any thoughts?

Since you are asking for thoughts, here are a couple (in fact, you may say that those apply to everyone):

(1) Make long posts, fully descriptive of your ideas and suggestions.
(2) Be succinct and to the point, while always making sure that you post in the correct forum.
(3) Check spelling and grammar.

Then, I assure you, you would have spent your time in a more proudctive way for everyone!
Plus, all the above require some extra time to do, and since you have said you got a lot of time, use it properly! 8-)

Generally speaking, your post above seems much nicer than the ones you did before. ;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:53 pm 

yeah, i've noticed the same thing with nicer posting with "everyone" in the forum recently. Though I don't care as much personally...

Pantazis, I really think you deserve a more exciting avatar.Just a thought. :P

Also if anyone reads my posts "as i realize i am not a super serious person and don't post much useful information i will admit" i think it is a bad idea to make a thread about someone, it might make them feel bad, especially if they are trying to be nice nowadays...but that is just my thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:15 am 

Kyle_A wrote:
Pantazis, I really think you deserve a more exciting avatar.Just a thought. :P

I know it is not very spectacular, but it represents me somehow... :P

It is an application of fractals on a cube, also known as Menger's Sponge or Sierpinski's Cube.
Here is such a cube made out of Rubik's cubes LOL

:)

Pantazis

PS I may add a signature with a few magics(?) ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:51 am 

kastellorizo wrote:

Then, I assure you, you would have spent your time in a more proudctive way for everyone!

Sorry Pentazis, I couldn't resist that one. 8-)

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:57 pm 

Pembo wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

Come on, this was clearly more of a mistype rather than a spelling mistake LOL
(especially as right now I am using my left hand - my right arm is badly injured)

And if everyone could made only one such mistake for every seven lines, that would be a blessing! ;)

Pantazis

PS But admit it, you just wanted to make more posts! LOL :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:06 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Pembo wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

Come on, this was clearly more of a mistype rather than a spelling mistake LOL
(especially as right now I am using my left hand - my right arm is badly injured)

And if everyone could made only one such mistake for every seven lines, that would be a blessing! ;)

Pantazis

PS But admit it, you just wanted to make more posts! LOL :P

Sorry but I had to chime in seeing how ya'll up on this speeeelling craze... Pembo you spelt Pantazis name Pentazis! :P lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:26 pm 

I'm giving it a 21st twang to it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:30 pm 

Pembo wrote:
I'm giving it a 21st twang to it :)

:?: :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:21 pm 

Ooh, touché....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:50 pm 

JIMBOB has been posting a lot and to prove it I can show you this...
this was a screenshot that was cropped... look how much JIMBOB had posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:58 pm 

:lol: :lol:
All those are in the off-topic section too. I haven't seen too many revelant posts to puzzles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:06 pm 

sausage wrote:
I have been keeping a close eye on things. Right now I'm not too concerned about the postings.

However, I do know who operates two accounts and will be stopping that soon.

Someone owns two accounts? Is that possible? Why would that person want to do so? They can't use the same e-mail address... right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:16 pm 

i don't see anyone talking about this?

Attachments:
jjj.JPG
jjj.JPG [ 169.25 KiB | Viewed 2073 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:23 pm 

That was me being a noob. I got seriously confused by all the yellow page icons. You'll notice that i'm making my posts longer and more meaningful now, and i'm only posting on threads that I can help with. We did talk about that earlier in the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:33 pm 

Kyle_A wrote:
i don't see anyone talking about this?

Yes I did bring this up in the beginning... gamemeister27 does seem to post an awful lot...

but same with JIMBOB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:01 pm 

I've explained this before, in this thread. I'm always on, when someone else posts, and i can contribute, i'll respond. If i may quote Pembo "People are just asking a lot of questions that I know the answer to" Unlike Pembo, I dont have a life, meaning that I basically put it into here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:02 am 

Sorry for posting a lot but here is another example of JIMBOB's speedposting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:22 am 

Would you prefer if everyone posted once every 3 days? Or would you prefer what we have now? Did you think of it that way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:21 am 

Kyle_A wrote:
Would you prefer if everyone posted once every 3 days? Or would you prefer what we have now? Did you think of it that way?
I think we should just stop arguing about things beyond our control. Sausage has already posted in this thread about the course of action. Arguing further is pointless.

I hope that didn't come off as me being a jerk or anything. I hope not. If it did, sorry.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:38 am 

Hi :)

I don't want to attack anyone in particular but i do find that most threads now have a large degree of content leaning towards "off topic side-remarks" or regurgitating what has been mentioned umpteen times in other threads. I do urge everyone to browse a little in the different boards and or do some quick search before posting. There is NO need anymore for any threads like "What is the best 5x5x5 cube", "How to lube my cube" and so on. I hope i don't come across as rude. But legitimate posts here are becoming more and more redundant. When posting ask yourself is this really important to others. It's not really justifiable to post something that is only relevant/important to yourself. I allow exception to this for the off topic section i guess. It's meant to be more informal.

it's possible to see that someone has 2 accounts by checking the ip/hostname used for posting. And also the style of posts would probably give it away :D

And finally, doesn't this forum have a setting to limit posts pr day or something? I cannot see how ANYONE could make say 50 meaningful posts in a single day :evil:

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:10 am 

How about a super sticky? a thread with an index on
-best cubes
-best shops
-best methods

and loads of stuff that gets posted daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:46 am 

Kyle_A wrote:
-best cubes
-best shops
-best methods

Sadly, most of the time, people would/will/do skip over the stickies. In concept it's a good idea, but it won't be as effective as it should.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:04 am 

Kyle_A wrote:
-best cubes
-best shops
-best methods

I made a 3x3 speedcubing method list, with the hope of it being stickied...
but it was just left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:19 am 

If people could download all the posts form this forum (or any forum) and save to disk in some structured way (1 file pr post) and use google desktop search, then im sure we would have much less redundant posting :wink:

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:53 pm 

perfredlund wrote:
If people could download all the posts form this forum (or any forum) and save to disk in some structured way (1 file pr post) and use google desktop search, then im sure we would have much less redundant posting :wink:

-Per

I have all the messages on my PC, downloaded using Teleport Pro.
(*and* I use Google Desktop Search)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:56 pm 

Personally I don't see a problem with JIMBOBS posts or the amount of posts he makes in here. Most forums are far more cluttered than this one. I think it's ok to have comments of any length in any of these topics.

I think that the main reason it may bother you is the psychological reason that his name is all CAPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:10 pm 

perfredlund wrote:
I do urge everyone to browse a little in the different boards and or do some quick search before posting. There is NO need anymore for any threads like "What is the best 5x5x5 cube", "How to lube my cube" and so on.

Second that. I've been trying to ask people to use search, but I don't think that worked well. :( Personally I am disappointed with the forum lately as a lot of posts are on the same or similar subject, just the name of the topic starter is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:48 pm 

S.Rubiks wrote:
Personally I don't see a problem with JIMBOBS posts or the amount of posts he makes in here. Most forums are far more cluttered than this one. I think it's ok to have comments of any length in any of these topics.

I think that the main reason it may bother you is the psychological reason that his name is all CAPS.

If that "psychological reason" is related to making countless posts in a very short period, which despite being super brief, are full of errors, and are focusing on either extremely repetitive subjects or on topics which are completely unrelated to puzzles, then yes, I agree with you... :roll:

I want to believe that this forum is better than "other" forums because solving puzzles requires to be much more logical than an average person. That people here could analyse, assess, understand, anticipate, and behave better than those "other" forums.

Unless of course, I am wrong(???)

Don't get me wrong, JIMBOB's posts have improved lately, but I wonder if you have seen all of them.

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:58 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
S.Rubiks wrote:

Quote:
If that "psychological reason" is related to making countless posts in a very short period, which despite being super brief, are full of errors, and are focusing on either extremely repetitive subjects or on topics which are completely unrelated to puzzles, then yes, I agree with you... :roll:

Simply do not read them... I doubt it can possibly bother you as much as you make it seem by that paragraph above Panda.

Quote:
I want to believe that this forum is better than "other" forums because solving puzzles requires to be much more logical than an average person. That people here could analyse, assess, understand, anticipate, and behave better than those "other" forums.

and I think everyone that belongs to whatever forum they belong to wants to believe the same about their forum. Ultimately though, it isn't. I personally like a more laid back approach to a forum and though I need answers for something or other, I am here to enjoy sharing and conversing with others of the forum about something we have in common. If JIMBOB collects twistypuzzles, then he belongs here just as much as anyone else.

Quote:
Unless of course, I am wrong(???)

Don't get me wrong, JIMBOB's posts have improved lately, but I wonder if you have seen all of them.

Pantazis

Nor have I seen all of yours. I know a lot of mine can be silly and useless. I just ignore anything I'm not interested in. Gotta be like the duck, and let the water roll off your back when the rain comes down.

Everyone tolerated me and didn't complain when we had the whole religion debate earlier this year. I certainly am in no place to talk about anyone else's posts in here.

If anything at all merely make something in an off-topic forum not count towards post count, that way people can post as much as they like about whatever they like and won't be accused of posting for rankings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:08 pm 

This thread is starting to beat a dead horse. And there is sort of a limit that i discovered last night. You can't post too quickly after one post, otherwise it gets blocked. And legitimite post get more redundent doesn't make grammatical sense. I think you ment more posts are becoming redundent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:34 pm 

Georges wrote:
perfredlund wrote:

-Per

Hi Aleksey:)

How big is that? Willing to share (the posts, not the software :wink: ) ??

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:46 pm 

Wow, I have been gone for a long time I see. This is a funny thread because you guys say you ignoring this, but you're clearly not. Some growing up needs to be done here, and it's not jimbob, he has not even listened to any of you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:24 pm 

I think we should just all ignore this topic and just move on... start focusing on why were came to this forum in the first place, the common hobby we all enjoy... cubing! We should ignore anything that can make us all angry at each other... ignore use-less posts and just help each other because better cubers and tell about competitions and sell cubes... hope that helps :scrambled:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:23 am 

Terry wrote:
Wow, I have been gone for a long time I see. This is a funny thread because you guys say you ignoring this, but you're clearly not. Some growing up needs to be done here, and it's not jimbob, he has not even listened to any of you guys.

Well, since you also posted here, I guess you are in the same boat with the "not grown ups"...!

And what do you mean you are back, this is your first post! Maybe you had another nickname? ;)

By the way, Shawn, you may say we should "ignore", but you completely missed my point without answering any of my questions. If the forum gets flooded by irrelevant posts made by 2-3 people, it is impossible to ignore them, unless we were blind! It is all about being productive and realising that this way is simply a waste of time for everyone. I mean, sometimes we have to search between those irrelavant posts to find the genuine ones. That is *not* fun, and it wasn't like that last year.

The religion debate was correctly placed at the Off Topic Forum anyway, so there was absolutely no problem with that. But here, now, you see all sorts of irrelevant topics spread everywhere...

And saying that, we should not accuse others for what they post, I am just trying to make a few individuals understand why certain forums exist. If this puzzle forum transforms to a nonsense forum, you won't be hearing any complaining from me any more, because you won't be hearing from me at all. Puzzles are a hobby for me as well as for many others. If I get the feeling that I am a black sheep because I post in the correct place and I try and try and try to explain this to others too and there is no response, then you may all keep this forum for yourselves and post irrelevant stuff to the wrong forums forever.

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:48 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
And what do you mean you are back, this is your first post! Maybe you had another nickname? Wink

Well he has been a member since 2005 so he must not post but just surfs the forums... now that he came back he posted... I believe this is what happened...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:51 am 

Skate Addicti0n wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:
And what do you mean you are back, this is your first post! Maybe you had another nickname? Wink

Well he has been a member since 2005 so he must not post but just surfs the forums... now that he came back he posted... I believe this is what happened...

I think it is crystal clear he has been a member since 2005. It is reduntant to mention as it is written on the left for all users... :roll:
(and of course, as usual, that does not answer my question as it was not answered by the actual person I asked - but your theory is good LOL)

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:03 pm 

perfredlund wrote:
Georges wrote:
perfredlund wrote:

-Per

Hi Aleksey:)

How big is that? Willing to share (the posts, not the software :wink: ) ??

-Per

Hi, this is Georges replying, not Aleksey :wink:
784 MB as of yesterday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:37 pm 

Maybe a bit late but...
Awhile ago I had a avrage post count of over 7.32 poasts per day. :?
Now it is 4.60 posts per day.

My favorite animal is the Pfargtl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:59 am 

Just another screenshot of JIMBOB's posting