Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Amazing J permutation
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:50 pm
Location: New York
I was on a plane for a few hours so I took a bunch of algorithms and reversed and mirired them to find something good for one handed. I took x' R2 u' R' u l R y' R' U R' U' R2, reversed and mirired it to get this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQYLNFJVLRA

_________________
Average: 14.38 seconds

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas
looks nice.

_________________
PLL 15/21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-Drdc8HMg
OLD NAME : Kid_with_teh_mohawk
pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: California
thanks! i have all J's and Jmirrors from every angle except this one, and this bad boy looks quick.

_________________
http://www.bigcubes.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:01 pm
this is what i wrote down from the video

(r2U')(L'Ur'U2)(lU'l'U2)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Canada
After re-reading your post, I couldn't figure out right away how come the alg you provided didn't work LOL

So I found this off of your video. I actually MUCH prefer this to my current of
(RUR'F') (RUR'U')(R'FR2U'R'U') (14)

If I read this the right way, here's what I got from your vid with fingertricks:

(r2, U’, L’, U, L’ ), x2, (F2, R, U’, l', U2) (10 + cube rotation)

I like it personally, and think I'll use it more as I get more familiar with it.

Thanks for sharing!!

_________________
PB Time 2x2x2 - 7x7x7: 6.08, 14.76, 1:31.47, 2:18.09, 5:32.28, 7:44.81
PB Average 3x3x3 Average: 19.46 (of 5)
Started speedcubing: Aug 15th, 2006


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:50 pm
Location: New York
I'm reall proud of myself for it. it's amazing what you can do when your bored on a plane.

_________________
Average: 14.38 seconds

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Canada
Dude, you totally should be!

So what other handy algs do you have floating around that might be fast? Anything good for the Edge+Corner rotation Perms??

_________________
PB Time 2x2x2 - 7x7x7: 6.08, 14.76, 1:31.47, 2:18.09, 5:32.28, 7:44.81
PB Average 3x3x3 Average: 19.46 (of 5)
Started speedcubing: Aug 15th, 2006


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:50 pm
Location: New York
well, whats your worst PLL besides "N"

_________________
Average: 14.38 seconds

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Canada
I don't know the "names" exactly, but I know what you mean when you say them... I think they're the G permutations. They have Edge and Corner cycling at the same time...

They're #'s 14-17 on this site: http://www.cubewhiz.com/pll.html

Anyway, the algs I use are actually ON the cubewhiz site - I have slight variations for the left and right hand which work for me from the cubewhiz page, but was curious what you might use :)

_________________
PB Time 2x2x2 - 7x7x7: 6.08, 14.76, 1:31.47, 2:18.09, 5:32.28, 7:44.81
PB Average 3x3x3 Average: 19.46 (of 5)
Started speedcubing: Aug 15th, 2006


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:50 pm
Location: New York
I'll make a video now... I use 1 for each one so when I get those I have to rotate the cube.

_________________
Average: 14.38 seconds

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Canada
Awesome dude - you rock! I have the same issue where I need to rotate to get the cube into position, but I just want something that takes me less than 6+ seconds to do... :)

_________________
PB Time 2x2x2 - 7x7x7: 6.08, 14.76, 1:31.47, 2:18.09, 5:32.28, 7:44.81
PB Average 3x3x3 Average: 19.46 (of 5)
Started speedcubing: Aug 15th, 2006


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:50 pm
Location: New York
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dywHZX0pwp8

it took forever to load.

at the end is the origonal verson of the "amazing J"

_________________
Average: 14.38 seconds

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Canada
Thanks for that dude - I do the G's all exactly the same as you do, but I just don't do it as smooth...

Thanks soooo much though for your help with that - I now know what I have to work on to make it faster :)

_________________
PB Time 2x2x2 - 7x7x7: 6.08, 14.76, 1:31.47, 2:18.09, 5:32.28, 7:44.81
PB Average 3x3x3 Average: 19.46 (of 5)
Started speedcubing: Aug 15th, 2006


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:50 pm
Location: New York
Gs used to be my worst too. Just do them over ans over again. do one then do it in reverse and repeat. I should do the same with N.

_________________
Average: 14.38 seconds

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:12 pm
Location: NY, USA
I'm just going to type out my G's for anyone who needs them. They're reasonably fast, about an average permutation for me.

(R U R') y' (R2 u') (R U') (R' U R') (u R2)
(R2 u') (R U' R) (U R') (u R2) y (R U' R')
(R' U' R) y (R2 u) (R' U) (R U' R) (u' R2)
(R2 u) (R' U R') (U' R) (u' R2) y' (R' U R)

Good luck.

_________________
My official times
My youtube
Puzzle Solving Service! - a puzzle that has never been scrambled and solved has been wasted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: New alg
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
Swap two corner-edge pairs: (R U' L) (U2 R' U R U2 R' L').

David J

*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New alg
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: California
David J wrote:
Swap two corner-edge pairs: (R U' L) (U2 R' U R U2 R' L').

David J

*


yeah i've seen this its a niklas sune with cancellations...i needed one that was finger friendly for that with a y2 applied, in that specific position

edit:

maybe its not, it looks different acutally but it feels ugly in the fingers, alas i'm but a speedcuber :P

_________________
http://www.bigcubes.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New alg
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
rxdeath wrote:
David J wrote:
Swap two corner-edge pairs: (R U' L) (U2 R' U R U2 R' L').

David J

*


yeah i've seen this its a niklas sune with cancellations...i needed one that was finger friendly for that with a y2 applied, in that specific position

edit:

maybe its not, it looks different acutally but it feels ugly in the fingers, alas i'm but a speedcuber :P


You're thinking of a different alg. That alg was the first combo I worked out right after I worked out what you call sune and niklas.
R U2 R' U' R (U' R' R U' )L' U R' U' L
R U2 R' U' R ***U2**** L' U' R' U' L

If you look at (R U' L) (U2 R' U R U2 R' L') differently it is quite quick and easily done.

David J


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: California
i don't like the ending personally, the slice stuff is killer, i don't mind L's and R's they just have to be in separate parts of the alg :) why do you say 'what i call sune and niklas' i also worked them out myself, but those have been what those algs have been referred to by most, and seem good as names as any to convey the idea.

ps i did my cancellation different then yours and get this for my jperm


R U' L U R' U2 L U' L' U2 L

_________________
http://www.bigcubes.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: algs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
rxdeath wrote:
i don't like the ending personally, the slice stuff is killer, i don't mind L's and R's they just have to be in separate parts of the alg :) why do you say 'what i call sune and niklas' i also worked them out myself, but those have been what those algs have been referred to by most, and seem good as names as any to convey the idea.

ps i did my cancellation different then yours and get this for my jperm


R U' L U R' U2 L U' L' U2 L


Not being a slice, I do that R' L' at the end as one move with both hands simultaneously.

I said, "what you call sune and niklas" because you call them that, and I don't.

*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: algs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: California
David J wrote:
rxdeath wrote:
i don't like the ending personally, the slice stuff is killer, i don't mind L's and R's they just have to be in separate parts of the alg :) why do you say 'what i call sune and niklas' i also worked them out myself, but those have been what those algs have been referred to by most, and seem good as names as any to convey the idea.

ps i did my cancellation different then yours and get this for my jperm


R U' L U R' U2 L U' L' U2 L


Not being a slice, I do that R' L' at the end as one move with both hands simultaneously.

I said, "what you call sune and niklas" because you call them that, and I don't.

*


sounds like someone is a tad bitter about that, i'm not the only one that calls them that, i'd say the vast majority of cubers use those terms as well, what do you call them? and also i'd like to see a video of your alg, maybe i'm just doing it a bad way.

_________________
http://www.bigcubes.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New alg
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland
rxdeath wrote:
David J wrote:
Swap two corner-edge pairs: (R U' L) (U2 R' U R U2 R' L').

David J

*


yeah i've seen this its a niklas sune with cancellations...i needed one that was finger friendly for that with a y2 applied, in that specific position

edit:

maybe its not, it looks different acutally but it feels ugly in the fingers, alas i'm but a speedcuber :P

It's really close. Inverse it and you get L R U2 R' U' R U2 L' U R' (U'). Now move the L to the end and you have R U2 R' U' R U2 L' U R' U' L, which is the well-known combination of Niklas and Sune. I can solve the J-permutation from all angles using these.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: algs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
rxdeath wrote:
David J wrote:
rxdeath wrote:
i don't like the ending personally, the slice stuff is killer, i don't mind L's and R's they just have to be in separate parts of the alg :) why do you say 'what i call sune and niklas' i also worked them out myself, but those have been what those algs have been referred to by most, and seem good as names as any to convey the idea.

ps i did my cancellation different then yours and get this for my jperm


R U' L U R' U2 L U' L' U2 L


Not being a slice, I do that R' L' at the end as one move with both hands simultaneously.

I said, "what you call sune and niklas" because you call them that, and I don't.

*


sounds like someone is a tad bitter about that, i'm not the only one that calls them that, i'd say the vast majority of cubers use those terms as well, what do you call them? and also i'd like to see a video of your alg, maybe i'm just doing it a bad way.


What is there to be bitter about?

I don't call them anything. I regularly use about 300 algs and I haven't thought to name them. I wouldn't want to try to remember them by names.

The first I saw "sune" (pronounced "sue-nuh") was in the hands of Lars and he does it differently enough that the name didn't stick.

What I have names for are orientations.

I call the 7 orientations All Up, Three Down, Headlights, Sidelights, Oddlights, Wheels, and Barrow.

All Up: All the corners on the Last Level are upright.
Three Down: Three corners on the Last Level are rotated clockwise or counterclockwise.
Headlights: Two corners on the Last Level are upright, two are rotated to face the same direction, like headlights on a car.
Sidelights: Two corners on the Last Level are upright, two are rotated to face away from each other.
Oddlights: Two corners on the Last Level are upright, two are rotated: Right Front and Left Rear or Right Rear or Left Front.
Wheels: All four corners on the Last Level are rotated, two pairs face away from each other, like wheels on a car.
Barrow: All four corners on the Last Level are rotated, two face away from each other like wheels on the front of a wheel barrow, and two face the same direction like handles on a wheel barrow.

I don't seem to have the means for posting. I can get something from my camera to my computer, but not out of that particular program to send anything.

*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New alg
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
Johannes Laire wrote:
rxdeath wrote:
David J wrote:
Swap two corner-edge pairs: (R U' L) (U2 R' U R U2 R' L').

David J

*


yeah i've seen this its a niklas sune with cancellations...i needed one that was finger friendly for that with a y2 applied, in that specific position

edit:

maybe its not, it looks different acutally but it feels ugly in the fingers, alas i'm but a speedcuber :P

It's really close. Inverse it and you get L R U2 R' U' R U2 L' U R' (U'). Now move the L to the end and you have R U2 R' U' R U2 L' U R' U' L, which is the well-known combination of Niklas and Sune. I can solve the J-permutation from all angles using these.


That's cool! I hadn't noticed that. I wonder if that's part of why it's so easy and fast for me, since I did R U2 R' U' R U2 L' U R' U' L for years. I still use variations of that - like to flip over two edges with the swap, or to solve a reverse headlights position.

It's interesting that it's well known. I think I was the first to put itonline - on the speedcubing list a few years years ago.

It's also very cool that you can solve it from all angles. IIRC Chris Pelly has an interesting alg for this too.

*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: alg
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
JIMBOB wrote:
Not bad, but mine seems faster


Is it faster because
a.) you thought it out for your fingers?
b.) you are used to it?
c.) it is fewer moves?
d.) because your ego won't let you imagine anyone better?
e.) you don't know one better, you just made it up?

I'm pulling your leg because you didn't post it.

What is your alg for the two corner/edge swap?

David J


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: notation
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
JIMBOB wrote:
fewer moves, I customized an algo, so I'm not sure how to write it. I'll try and get a video on.


Writing out algs for the first time can be tricky.

There are several notation schemes in use, and their differences can be confusing.

One way to write out an alg for a beginner: assign a letter to each color of your cube; when you turn a side us a capitol letter like R for red, use just that letter if the turn it 90 degrees clockwise, use a R2 if the turn is 180 degrees and R' if the turn is 90 degrees counterclockwise.

If you use a middle slice use both sides colors, if you take the middle slice with a side use call it by the opposite side (which is actually what is turned). In other words, if you have the common new cube with Yellow opposite White then if you turn the Yellow side clockwise with its middle slice then call it Blue clockwise.

After you've written out the alg in colors you can then translate the colors into Up Down Left Right Front Back.

Good luck,

David J

PS few than ten moves for that is great!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: notation
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland
David J wrote:
In other words, if you have the common new cube with Yellow opposite White then if you turn the Yellow side clockwise with its middle slice then call it Blue clockwise.

That should be White. :wink:

David J wrote:
PS few than ten moves for that is great!

And not even possible AFAIK... But maybe he uses different metric. We'll see. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: notation
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
Johannes Laire wrote:
David J wrote:
In other words, if you have the common new cube with Yellow opposite White then if you turn the Yellow side clockwise with its middle slice then call it Blue clockwise.

That should be White. :wink:

David J wrote:
PS few than ten moves for that is great!

And not even possible AFAIK... But maybe he uses different metric. We'll see. :)


Oops, I gave the old colors. 8-)

10 moves. Tewlve moves in half turn metric, same as the two I use.

Thanks,

DJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: j perm
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:17 am
JIMBOB wrote:
I think I figured out how to write the algo I use for the J perm. The parts in the Parentheses is done in one movement.

F2 R U R' (F2 Z2) R U' R U (R2 X2)

I consider it 10 moves. I can put a video together if anyone wanted to see me do it.


Very nice. I'd write it as F2 R U R' F2 L D' L D L2. I'd like to see you do it.

Thanks,

DJ

*


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cubegoldberg, Hungab and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group