Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wallcube finished
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:15 am 

It's taken a few weeks and I'm pretty happy with the overall result. You can see the imperfections in colour with the joins etc, but the smoothed edges can't be seen when the stickers are on.

I didn't just want to fuse all the pieces and put them together, I wanted the pieces to be fused and the gaps smoothed over. This meant I had to use black polyurethane between the cracks. The problem was that this took me a few weeks on and off to do, and let me tell you... I'm sick of sanding pieces.

Anyway, hope you like it. It was a great feeling to get the stickers on. (Sandy, grab whatever pics you want for the database).

[img]1028670517.JPG.htm]
[img]1028670553.JPG.htm]
[img]1028670595.JPG.htm]
[img]1028670695.JPG.htm]
[img]1028670721.JPG.htm]

Post subject: Looks amazing!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:15 am 

Wayne, I love it! Now i know why they call it the wall cube... I was going to ask sooner or later...

Are you going to scramble it up completely? If so, could you put up a picture of it??

Once again, well done!

Post subject: Re: Wallcube finished
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:14 pm 

Looking good, Wayne.

I've been thinking about making a few of these fused 4x4x4 variations myself. I've got four brand new Mefferts 4x4x4's to butcher. So, once again, I have a few questions for you.

How did you fill the cracks? Did you build molds and just pour the polyurethane in around the existing pieces? Or was there a way to just fill in the divide between two fused pieces manually without the use of molds? I'm betting on the latter because of the "sick of sanding" comment. (Why don't you buy an electric sander? I got one for $22 CAN, and it must have saved me at least 3 hours on the Octaminx alone... which, BTW, is almost ready for stickers.) Could you go into some rudimentary details of your process?

Next, and this is asked so often, you've got to be sick of it. I know it's on your site too, but I've also read your comments about it being out of date. What brand/mixture/etc of polyurethane did you use? Was it already black, or did you have to mix in some dye yourself?

(Thanks for the use of the pictures. I'll probably add them all!)

Sandy

Post subject: Looks cool enuff.....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:47 am 
Of all the 4x4 variations, this one has got my attention the most, it's simply a pretty one!
Many of the remaining 4x4 mods are kinda crappy...or more politely: not so aesthetically appealing at least to me :p
I find all the more reason to transform a revenge into a wall cube(brick cube), but in my case, I might consider not filling the slits, so that if I ever wanted to change that cube back into a revenge or another mod, I don't have to sacrifice a revenge.
Kinda silly of me, but I only have 7 revenges (& 2 of them are sealed in cylinder IDEALs)...so that leaves 5 for(1 for display, 1 tiled, 1 for playing, only 2 extras left for mods). Nevetheless, one will definately get turned into a wall/brick cube!!
Looks too tasty to forego! :)

Post subject: Materials
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:03 pm 

My current favourite polyurethane and dye is:

Smooth-On 300
So Strong Tint (black)

I have bought from Paul who is a complete legend, very helpful. Only relevant if you're in Ireland:

Ireland
Glassfibre & Resin Supplies, Ltd.
Bailick, Midleton
County Cork
Ireland
Tel. 011-353-214-631-711
Fax. 011-353-214-633-349
info@grs.ie

Otherwise:

http://www.smooth-on.com/distrbtr.htm

Post subject: Instructions to make the wallcube
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:06 pm 

I've got to collate all this information on the site. Will do when I get back. Yeah, I do have an electric sander and grinder back in Oz, I just couldn't be bothered buying it all here in Ireland and then have to sell it off. But I should be using those tools instead for any future 'grinding' variations. There was no molding of any type in this project.

Ok, so the method was:

1. Use Noel's Puzzler (doesn't have to be registered) to look at the wallcube and work out what pieces need be paired.

2. Super glue the pieces together but work out a good technique: glue them together against a steel ruler or perfectly straight object so that they fuse perfectly flush. For the "centre" pieces, the need to sit in the sphere and be glued together while in the sphere, as you'll never be able to get them into the sphere after they are superglued together.

3. Use a file to increase the size of the gaps between the fused cubies. You do this so that you end up adding more polyurethane plastic between the gaps, and the thicker the filled polyurethane plastic, the stronger. Also provides a rough surface for the polyurethane plastic to fasten to.

4. Mix up polyurethane (you could also use milliput, though this might be a bit weak in such small amounts) and spread the mix along newspaper. You spead it out because polyurethane gels slower in thinner amounts. Use a pointy tool to scoop up some curing gunk and fill the gaps between the cubies.

5. Cure for a few days to get 100% hardness.

6. Start filing with course sandpaper or grinding to remove the excess fill off plastic and the levels flat. Use the finest sandpaper to get the levels smooth and produce a two cubies that appear to be one (I am concerned about ABS plastic dust so I will be researching any health concerns regarding this). If the fill between the gaps pops out for some reason, superglue it back in.

7. Use regular paper to polish the surfaces and rounded edges to produce a final piece.

8. Work out how to get them all together again. This is a puzzle in itself.

9. You should probably end up with one piece that won't go back in which will be a double edge piece. File the foot on the piece on one side, and turn the face 45 degrees to get it to slip into the cube.

10. Wallcube!

Post subject: Re: Instructions to make the wallcube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:06 pm 

Thanks for this. I've printed it out, and plan on picking up those Smooth-On products in a week or two. Turns out there's a distributor a few subway stops from where I work.

Sandy

Post subject: Fine Craftsmanship
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:35 pm 

The craftsmanship in this puzzle is sooooo nice. For me, the combination of uniqueness of design and fine craftsmanship makes a puzzle irresistable. Thanks for sharing your techniques.