Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My latest mod: 4x4x5
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:54 pm 

Of course, after my 4x4x5 Wall Cube (see twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51336), my next mod should be a proper 4x4x5. So here it is.
I used two East Sheen 4x4x4's, plus some plastic sheet, Apoxie Sculpt and glue. It looks and turns excellent and I'm happy with it.

By popular demand I decided to build two of these and sell one on eBay. But... after working for 20-30 hours on this one, I have no interest anymore in building a second one. Not for some months at least. Besides, my shipment of Rubik's UFOs finally arrived today, so I wanna start with a new series of mods :-)

Thomas

My 4x4x5 next to an East Sheen 4x4x4.

Next to my 4x4x5 Wall Cube, basically also a 4x4x5.

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:57 pm 

Nice!!

4x4x5 is a fun puzzle! So many different alg's used to solve it.

Please don't forget to add the auction link when it's ready. ;)

Post subject: Re: My latest mod: 4x4x5
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:21 pm 

It feels like I should have an autoreply to Thomas posts saying: "great work"
heh, but seriously, great work!

Thomas wrote:
Besides, my shipment of Rubik's UFOs finally arrived today, so I wanna start with a new series of mods :-)

Sounds interesting, I can't wait!

Post subject: Re: My latest mod: 4x4x5
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:25 pm 

Thomas wrote:
Besides, my shipment of Rubik's UFOs finally arrived today, so I wanna start with a new series of mods :-)

Possibly a cheese?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:21 pm 

wow dude those are really cool im gonna try gettin one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:41 pm 

when I get good at puzzle building I want to build one! 8-) (way better
than buying one)

My favorite animal is the Pfargtl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:17 am 

This isn't that impressive - he obviously just got an ordinary 4x4x5 brick cube and extended the end pieces ...

Just kidding of course! ;) Fantastic work as always, Thomas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:46 am 

Location: Enschede, The Netherlands, First room on the left on the 2nd floor.
I agree, a beautiful mod! Chapeau!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:50 pm 

you are really good at cube mods, if i ever get good i'm gonna make some money off of it. Those sell for like 150 a piece. I would make one for myself of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:55 pm 

man, i was looking at you work and your posts and man, they're amazing. you shure do have a lot of time on your hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:25 am 

cubester wrote:
man, i was looking at you work and your posts and man, they're amazing. you shure do have a lot of time on your hands.

But it takes twice as long for everyone else to check the forums.. :?

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:45 am 

The fact that you used the hidden layer shows, naturally. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:40 am 

Thomas, As you are coming to DCD 2007, will you bring some of your mods to have a look at?
(I will bring the Floppy Cube)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:46 am 

Georges wrote:
Thomas, As you are coming to DCD 2007, will you bring some of your mods to have a look at?
(I will bring the Floppy Cube)

Of course. But as I'll probably build a lot more in the coming months, I can't promise to bring them all :-)

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:01 pm 

Here are some extra pictures.
Damn, this one is hard!

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:59 pm 

Would you mind making some videos of your creations? I'm sure everyone would like to see them in action!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:27 am 

Thomas wrote:
Here are some extra pictures.
Damn, this one is hard!

Thomas

I LOVE this puzzle. I may have not had the chance to play with in real life, but a computer version is the next best thing.

If you need any hints, I recently learned from Reeeech who learned from Adam Z.

Just remember your big cube technique. Centers, Edges, Solve like a smaller puzzle.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:03 pm 

xcool wrote:
I LOVE this puzzle. I may have not had the chance to play with in real life, but a computer version is the next best thing.

Is this the $20.00 USD one or something else? If it is something else please post.

http://www.mud.ca/puzzler/JPuzzler/JPuzzler.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:52 pm 

amazingly beautiful work. im so envious. i have one question, though. on the spindle is a block of plastic (i assume to keep the mechanism straight inside the cube). did you simply cut it away? does the middle layer you added keep the mechanism from getting lost on itself? im sorry if i didn't explain it well enough. i'd take pictures if i had the diligence to dis and reassemble my cube again. i would REALLY love to try this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:19 am 

p|astic wrote:
i have one question, though. on the spindle is a block of plastic (i assume to keep the mechanism straight inside the cube). did you simply cut it away?

All I can say, this block is part of the solution.

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:45 am 

Yes, you have to cut that piece of plastic away from the spindle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:27 pm 

Aleksey wrote:
Yes, you have to cut that piece of plastic away from the spindle.

Well...

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:35 pm 

Thomas, frankly, I don't see any real sense in hiding these details. This a a mod that not everyone can repeat even if he/she had modded other puzzles. It's very tedious. So unless we're talking about two different ways of making of a 4x4x5 from two Eastsheen 4x4x4, you do need to cut away that square block of plastic on the spider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:37 pm 

Aleksey wrote:
Thomas, frankly, I don't see any real sense in hiding these details. This a a mod that not everyone can repeat even if he/she had modded other puzzles. It's very tedious. So unless we're talking about two different ways of making of a 4x4x5 from two Eastsheen 4x4x4, you do need to cut away that square block of plastic on the spider.

After watching aleh's video (he uses a 4x4x4 as well?) - isn't it different? I believe Tony uses a 5x5x5 eastsheen - and is A LOT BIGGER! The one I have (made by Tony) is probably twice as big as Thomas'.

I'm curious as well though... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:58 pm 

I might be mistaken, but I think that block on the spindle is used to keep the hidden pieces aligned/in place, so that they don't just spin randomly inside the cube. I came to this conclusion by taking off the center caps and watching what was happening inside when I turned it. I haven't done any thinking about the 4x4x5, but it may still be needed to keep things in order.

4x4 single 1:32, avg 1:56
5x5 single 3:19, avg 3:50
6x6 12:00, 7x7 47:51, 8x8 34:10, 9x9 43:28
megaminx 4:57
To do: get faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:01 pm 

Aleksey wrote:

I believe Aleh was the first to construct a 4x4x5 from an East Sheen 4x4x4. Adam Zamora figured out how he did it, and I in turn was able to copy it from Adam.
Aleh decided not to reveal the method. That was the reason why Adam also didn't reveal it. And so I didn't think it should be me to reveal it. I asked Aleh what he thought if I would post a tutorial - as I really think he has a say in this. He asked me to at least wait until his auction has finished (6 hours from now).

But I'm not sure yet if I will post a tutorial. We all like puzzles, don't we? Dismantling an East Sheen 4x4x4 and figuring out how to modify the parts is a puzzle in its self. And I found it very gratifying.

But... no, you should not cut away that square block of plastic on the spider :-)

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:16 pm 

Thomas, certainly I can understand and respect the desire of an inventor not to share the details, even though I do not generally agree with that. Hiding as a method of protection, in my opinion, does not work well in real world as a really motivated individual will find the method anyway. Which Adam and you proved one more time. Opening would however really stimulate others to at least think in new directions, learn and possibly come up with other mods. Anyhow I guess that's a completely different subject.

I had a chance to see a 4x4x5 dismantled and so I studied it. Taking your word into account I am sure we're talking about two different methods of blocking the movement in two directions.

-------------- EDIT---------------
Now that I think of it, leaving the square block of plastic on the spider is an absolutely correct solution, while the one I saw has a very interesting caveat. 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:04 pm 

so, the block on the spindle must be positioned so the 3rd and 2nd layer of the 5 cubie tall layer won't lock up. but the block inhabits all 3 axes , so it must be cut down in one dimension... right?

something like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:57 pm 

you do have to cut the block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:23 pm 

It's not difficult to guess that the middle layer can be allowed to turn freely since the "layer 3" portion is directly connected to the pieces of the puzzle that were otherwise covered up by the 4x4x4 pieces. But when performing long slices you have to keep one layer from turning, otherwise the center axis can get out of alignment and keep the puzzle from cutting on its other axes.

This is a similar problem you get with the Masterball. Since you cannot directly manipulate the pieces under the puzzle, with that one you have to rely on being able to apply pressure to part of the puzzle as you turn the other parts.

In any case I'll have to build myself a 4x4x5 eventually when I have some Time. In other words I can forget about ever making one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:55 am 

Adam Zamora wrote:
you do have to cut the block.

Yes, but I wouldn't remove the whole block.
Although you could do that of course, and use glue to 'fix' the middle layers in two directions. Just like you do when you build a 2x2x3 from a keychain cube.

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:39 pm 

Ok so I lied about never having enough Time to build a 4x4x5. I'm in for about 15 hours of building so far and all I needed to do to get to this point was sacrifice about three hours of sleep a night over the course of the past several nights. Heck, who needs sleep anyway?

So far I'm at 50% complete and my approach appears to be a bit different than the examples of the puzzle seen so far. I opted to keep the cubelets whole so the overall effect is a puzzle with seamless pieces.

I find that building the puzzle is rather easy, just Time consuming. The puzzle practically builds itself, in fact. Anybody who is contemplating building this puzzle, it's actually a somewhat easy build. The Eastsheen puzzle is made with tight tolerances, and you can take advantage of this during the construction/alignment process.

Well, easy is a relative term. You still need to keep the pieces in alignment with a steady hand or have some sort of jig. Will I provide construction tips and pictures when I'm finished? lol i'll make the decision when I'm at home and sober.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:58 am 

Jin H Kim wrote:
I find that building the puzzle is rather easy, just Time consuming. The puzzle practically builds itself, in fact.

I agree. It takes a lot of time and you have to be precise, but it's by far not the most difficult mod I can imagine.

My mitre box turned out to be a perfect jig for cutting the pieces in half. But I understand you use a different technique. I asume you remove the whole outer planes of the pieces?

Good luck. I'm curious to see the end result.

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:56 am 

I'm almost done with my 4x4x5. I'm 9 pieces shy of completing it, and there's 3-5 pieces I'm going to re-do because of slight alignment issues.

I have to say, I have enjoyed myself making this puzzle. Not nearly as messy as making a 'Mental Midget' for sure and can be done at my leisure watching TV or a movie vs. toiling away in my garage.

If by "outer planes" you mean do I keep the cubies whole and intact, then yes, that's what I'm doing. The intent was to keep the pieces looking as "stock" as possible so that it does not appear to be a custom puzzle, as though it could have come from Eastsheen just like it is. Well, at least until you start turning it and see how it was modified of course.

I know I'll sleep better once I finish this. I worked on it far too long last night despite knowing that I had to roll into work very early today. I don't operate well on 3 hours of sleep. :lol:

I did take a few pictures during the construction phase. Horrible as usual. I really do need a better camera!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:52 pm 

Wouldn't it be easier just to seal the seams with Apoxie Sculpt? Would you please post the pictures of how you did yours after you finish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:04 pm 

Aleksey wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier just to seal the seams with Apoxie Sculpt? Would you please post the pictures of how you did yours after you finish?

I considered doing this, but I was afraid it would get very messy. And that it would look worse than just with the gaps showing.
I guess I'd also had to spraypaint all the pieces if I had used Apoxie Sculpt.

Thomas