Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Memory Cube :) *UPDATE: new photos!*
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:53 pm 

Some summary first. A couple of weeks ago, a collaegue of mine had played with one of my custom magic puzzles,
more specifically, the Secret of Atlantis. After seeing its structure, he suggested to make something more impressive,
for example like the world trade center.

For me, that was a brilliant idea, because there was an extra motive to do so. Back in 2000, I was in Manhattan for a
seminar and had visited the Twin Towers. It was a cloudy August day, but the way the clouds were covering both towers
was a sight I could never forget. A year later, they were gone in a horrific way. I could not believe what had happened.

So decided to make a paper design and check if making this puzzle with a single closed loop was feasible.
It definitely was! After making the Tower of Mahjong, I gained some valuable experience for making magics
which looked like a tall building. The next step was to calculate accurate dimensions.
The height to width ratio was a good 6:1, making each tower 6x4 (side tiles) + 1 (top tile) = 25.
Both of them were 50 tiles, while the ground part needed exactly four tiles. Total of 54.

As you probably know, a magic puzzle has two sides (unless it is a mobius LOL), and the world trade center
was the solved state of one of the sides. I was wondering what the solved state of the other side should be.
Then I remembered that a few months ago, I was considering making a 3x3x3 cubic magic maze.

But of course! A 3x3x3 cubic magic, ALSO needed 54 tiles.... BINGO!

This time I was not thinking of the maze theme, but of the 3x3x3 deluxe color theme.
I deliberately made reaching the cubic state a difficult task, making the closed loop going around the cube
in a similar (but not same) way with the one used in the Maze Cube.

So after doing more "research" to make sure both world trade center theme and 3x3x3 deluxe cube theme
are correct, and that the design has the appropriate papers tiles, I present you the "Memory Cube".
I gave it this name, because one solution is cubic, while the other solution is the world trade center
the way I want to remember it, the way it stayed in my memory when I visited Manhattan back in 2000.

Note that the world trade center looks different from different angles.
It can have the morning look, the midday look, the evening look, and the night look.
I made sure I put some effort on the detail, as I wanted this puzzle to be perfect.
Also, I had to places some cartons (internally) to make the towers and the cube states more stable,
as well as some rubber bands! :)
(please forgive the different color rubber bands LOL)

Each side of the cube state has a side of 16.5cm (6.5 ''), while for the wtc state, I placed my small screwdriver on the top of tower 1, to make it look more like the real thing!

Generally speaking, this puzzle took me a while to make, including the design, the correct placement of all the 108(!) paper tiles, as well as the tedious stringing of 54 tiles. I did many mistakes on the way, which I corrected, but was delayed considerably.

I leave you with plenty of photos:

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Last edited by kastellorizo on Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:02 pm 

Pantazis you are mad! Very mad!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:01 pm 

Although I'm not a 'magic' guy... I have to say I'm very impressed, Pantazis!!

Glad you were able to go there before 9-11. I hadn't been there for years, but was glad that I have been there many times beforehand.

Wow you even have the window images as well as the solved color scheme for the 3x3x3.

Really cool that you have them offset too ;) Intentional or not, that is how they were in real life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:05 pm 

I love the idea of how it looks like different times of day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:44 pm 

reeeech wrote:

Very cool indead!!!!!! Now you should definitely do the :wink: MMM :wink: and the :wink: RR :wink: .

reeeech wrote:
Glad you were able to go there before 9-11. I hadn't been there for years, but was glad that I have been there many times beforehand.

:cry: Thats depressing that I never got to go up there once :cry: . I've always wanted to go up there in the middle of the night and take a bunch of pictures of the city lights. I thank that it is very cool/pretty to see the city like that.

reeeech wrote:
Wow you even have the window images as well as the solved color scheme for the 3x3x3.

Really cool that you have them offset too ;) Intentional or not, that is how they were in real life.

Thats awesome!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:15 am 

>>http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6lhv/memory_cube_11.JPG

Wow.

Japanese colour scheme?

These creations get more and more impressive as time goes on.

Please don't stop making them :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:40 am 

joey wrote:

Those are my thoughts!
And I'm happy not to be mad alone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:05 am 

joey wrote:

LOL tell me something new! :P

reeeech wrote:

Thanks reeeech!
You are right about the window images and the offset placement, it was *very* intentional. I spent a lot of time to make sure I get the details, architecture, and the dimensions of the entire place correctly!
And the color scheme is the same with the deluxe cube in my collection.
As I said, I just wanted this puzzle to be perfect! 8-)

Swordsman Kirby wrote:
I love the idea of how it looks like different times of day.

Such buildings look extremely impressive from many angles and offer a different panorama during many times of the day. I wanted this puzzle to capture the nicest views. It turned out very well. :)

Darren Grewe wrote:
Very cool indead!!!!!! Now you should definitely do the :wink: MMM :wink: and the :wink: RR :wink: .
:cry: Thats depressing that I never got to go up there once :cry: . I've always wanted to go up there in the middle of the night and take a bunch of pictures of the city lights. I thank that it is very cool/pretty to see the city like that.
Thats awesome!!!!!

LOL Thanks Darren!
The MMM (Master Magic Maze) has become like something which in my opinion is not really necessary to do anymore. Because the way the cube solved status is made in the memory cube, is like following a line similar to the maze cube. The only way I could do a MMM is if I come up with a spectacular solved state for the other side. The number if tiles should be diffferent too! I mean, it *has* to be a good new idea, to make worth all the tedious work. 8-)

Thom wrote:
>>http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl6lhv/memory_cube_11.JPG
Wow.
Japanese colour scheme?
These creations get more and more impressive as time goes on.
Please don't stop making them :)

Thanks Thom!
I am not familiar with the japanese scheme, I just followed the exact color scheme of a deluxe cube. But I placed the name on a white tile (not a red or blue).
I love each of the solved states for different reasons. But blending those two solved states together into one puzzle, is something that I don't think I will be able to top in the future. When I realised that not only *both* states needed exactly 54 tiles, but that their structure also made it possible to going from one solved state to the other, I knew I was sort of lucky too! :)

Georges wrote:
joey wrote:

Those are my thoughts!
And I'm happy not to be mad alone!

Indeed, this forum is full of mad people (in a harmless and creative way). Well... this is why I like it here LOL
:P

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:10 pm 

Doesn't the screwdriver make any problems when playing with the puzzle? :lol:

I was lucky to stand upon the WTC in 1998. An incredible sight.
I'll never forget the day three years later, because I was on a conference at that time. All the people there were paralysed when it happened, there was nothing to say, what sounded right. In the evening after the conference I bought the CD "Life on an String" from Laurie Anderson. Listen to "Pieces and Parts", symbolic for me at that special day. I'll never forget it and this song will always turn me into a special mood.

- Frank -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:18 am 

Frank Tiex wrote:
Doesn't the screwdriver make any problems when playing with the puzzle? :lol:

Well... as long as I don't glue the screwdriver on the top tile, there shouldn't be any problems! ;)

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:04 am 

Congratulations dear Pantazis.

Being mad or not, you have demonstrated us that you are a Magic God. Anyway, some details (screwdriver..... and so on) reveal that it's true you are completely mad! :) So from now, you're the new MMG, (magic mad god) ;)

Back to your Memory Cube. What more can I say about it? There is no word to describe both how amazing and sentimental it is. I wish I will ever have the chance to visit that place (I hope I would have been able to visit it before 11S, but anyway I will still love to be there!)

Thanks for sharing so many pics with us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:24 am 

1 question,
Why?! :lol:

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm 

rastarubik wrote:
Congratulations dear Pantazis. Being mad or not, you have demonstrated us that you are a Magic God. Anyway, some details (screwdriver..... and so on) reveal that it's true you are completely mad! :) So from now, you're the new MMG, (magic mad god) ;)
Back to your Memory Cube. What more can I say about it? There is no word to describe both how amazing and sentimental it is. I wish I will ever have the chance to visit that place (I hope I would have been able to visit it before 11S, but anyway I will still love to be there!)

Thanks for sharing so many pics with us!

LOL Thanks David, not sure about the God part, but you are 100% right regarding the mad part. As for the screwdriver, I also use it to calibrate some loose nails which are attached on my head (Frankenstein style).

And I agree about the sentimental part. I have even received some email responses telling me about how they felt the day the twin towers were hit. I definitely can see their point of view.

Note that, the island I come from is called Kastellorizo (surprise surprise LOL), a tiny island with only 150 people. But it was bombed relentlessly during the two world wars, my dad being one of kids fleeing and watching people (including other kids) being killed. War, terrorism, or violence is bad in any form.

Pembo wrote:
1 question,
Why?! :lol:

Well, the combination of two spectacular forms (WTC solved state & cubic solved state) into one single puzzle, was actually *begging* me to be created. It was not my fault!!! :P

The reason I wont be making bigger ones, is because it will require not double, but TRIPLE stringing in order to make it strong enough. And although even a 100 tile magic should be safe with double stringing, I will not take any chances. Also, any magic bigger than this, will become a cubersome dinosaur, whose known techniques would only make it a tedious task rather than a challenging puzzle. But I *might* make another 54 tile magic with a rubiks maze theme...! ;)

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:36 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
The reason I wont be making bigger ones, is because it will require not double, but TRIPLE stringing in order to make it strong enough. And although even a 100 tile magic should be safe with double stringing, I will not take any chances. Also, any magic bigger than this, will become a cubersome dinosaur, whose known techniques would only make it a tedious task rather than a challenging puzzle. But I *might* make another 54 tile magic with a rubiks maze theme...! ;)

Give me the tiles and sheets and I would string a 100 tile Magic....

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:24 pm 

Pembo wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

Give me the tiles and sheets and I would string a 100 tile Magic....

Are you serious? God I hope!!!!! Because I've always wanted someone to make me a 100 tangle magic for me and I would know mine would come out $hity.

Fourth picture from the bottom.

http://www.geocities.com/jaapsch/puzzles/tangle.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:39 pm 

If it is normal stringing then I would probably be willing to do it....
Yes I am strange, but the satisfaction of doing something that huge would be great, plus, I am going to have a lot of spare time soon....

I want an 80 tile regular Magic, but that would cost me £150....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:42 pm 

Pembo wrote:
If it is normal stringing then I would probably be willing to do it....
Yes I am strange, but the satisfaction of doing something that huge would be great, plus, I am going to have a lot of spare time soon....

I want an 80 tile regular Magic, but that would cost me £150....

And how long to solve....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:14 pm 

Hmm
15 seconds? ish?
Matyas, about 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:03 pm 

Yes, creating any closed loop magic requires normal stringing. But I would strongly advise to place more strings just in case. After a few tiles, the weight *can* cause some unwanted turns which could lead to strings coming out of their place.

But of course, the main problem would be to insert the correct paper tiles. You either need to create a template with test tiles (i.e. you will need to make another 100 tile magic with numbered tiles LOL), or you need to check sthe correctness of both solutions of the magic every time you string one tile, always BEFORE closing the loop.

And then Darren will be a very happy guy!

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:30 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:

Pantazis

You can say that again. :D :) 8-) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:19 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
But of course, the main problem would be to insert the correct paper tiles. You either need to create a template with test tiles (i.e. you will need to make another 100 tile magic with numbered tiles LOL), or you need to check sthe correctness of both solutions of the magic every time you string one tile, always BEFORE closing the loop.

I said I would do it if someone sends me the design! :P and of course the parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:59 pm 

Pembo wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

I said I would do it if someone sends me the design! :P and of course the parts.

Interesting :D :) 8-) :wink: I could send the parts later but how late is to late? What would be on the back side? or would it have the same design just turned 90 degrees? I wonder if you could ask Jaap for the design on his website that way there is no middle man.

I have a couple more designs in mind tell you more later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:17 pm 

I woiuld like one of these!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:02 pm 

Very nice man. I live 15 min outside of NYC and will never forget that day. As a fireman I lost 383 fellow firefighters that day and spent some time at ground zero. I have the towers tattooed on my arm and any memorials are cool. Again very nice.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:20 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
You can say that again. :D :) 8-) :wink:

:P :P :P :P :P

Darren Grewe wrote:
Interesting :D :) 8-) :wink: I could send the parts later but how late is to late? What would be on the back side? or would it have the same design just turned 90 degrees? I wonder if you could ask Jaap for the design on his website that way there is no middle man.

Many designs are possible. It is all into the imagination. :)
I always go for those designs which are challenging, interesting as well as good looking! ;)

Pembo wrote:

Someone should have to make some calculations for the double sided paper tiles which should be connected in a compatible way for both solutions to exist. You don't want to make mistakes on this, trust me!!!!
(It took me 2-3 times more the time to do the Memory Cube than what I had "expected").

Plus, it is already easy to mess up things on a 4-tile magic, must be double careful on a 100 tile LOL

;)

S.Rubiks wrote:
I woiuld like one of these!!

Which one? the Memory Cube, or the 100 tile magic? Or both??? 8-)

Fireman32 wrote:
Very nice man. I live 15 min outside of NYC and will never forget that day. As a fireman I lost 383 fellow firefighters that day and spent some time at ground zero. I have the towers tattooed on my arm and any memorials are cool. Again very nice.

Dave

Wow, you actually were one of the firemen? It must have been a terrible experience losing so many fellow firemen. :cry:

Anyway, I am glad you like the puzzle and thanks for the comment! :)

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:01 am 

It was an experience I will never forget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:21 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
Pembo wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

What would be on the back side?

I have a idea of what would be on the back side but it wouldn't be flat. It would be in cube form like the one below(third picture from the bottum). But it would be a 4x4x4 Tangle cube magic instead of a 2x2x2 Tangle cube magic with 4 pieces left over and some how put them to good use.

Am I mad?
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:14 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:

I have a idea of what would be on the back side but it wouldn't be flat. It would be in cube form like the one below(third picture from the bottum). But it would be a 4x4x4 Tangle cube magic instead of a 2x2x2 Tangle cube magic with 4 pieces left over and some how put them to good use.

Although the solved state is a cube, it will be too easy to present it in a "t" form, because it is possible to use the flat form to solve it. Something like following a line which goes around (in a "maze cube pattern way") would be much more interesting! ;)

Darren Grewe wrote:
Am I mad? :wink:

Well, the truth is that we are all mad. It is only a few of us who don't know it...! :P

Going back to the Memory Cube subject... I realised that the Secret of Atlantis serves as a PERFECT stand for the Memory Cube...!

Proof the two photos below:

In fact, I have designed a new 9-tile magic myth which will not only be the official stand for the Memory Cube, but it will also be a very difficult puzzle itself! ;)
(details in the next few days)

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:14 am 

Here are some more photos of the Memory Cube, where:

(1) the cube solved state has its *official* stand, and
(2) the WTC solved state is wrapped with better rubberbands! :)

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Note that the stand is surprisingly strong and stable, because its shape is "locked". The "stand" is itself another 9-tile magic, named "Paragon of Atlantis". Will post about it later... now must leave in a hurry because I must attend my nephew's birthday LOL

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:09 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Darren Grewe wrote:

Although the solved state is a cube, it will be too easy to present it in a "t" form, because it is possible to use the flat form to solve it. Something like following a line which goes around (in a "maze cube pattern way") would be much more interesting! ;)

Pantazis

Sorry to get off the topic again but(man I hate that). Could you please show us a example of how it would look? I mean the maze cube pattern way. Couldn't this also work probably it would be less confusing.

First picture.

http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=756

How confusing do you want to get it? :D :) 8-) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:15 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
Sorry to get off the topic again but(man I hate that). Could you please show us a example of how it would look? I mean the maze cube pattern way. Couldn't this also work probably it would be less confusing.

First picture.

http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=756

How confusing do you want to get it? :D :) 8-) :wink:

Well, I put it this way. The path where the stringing lines are connected, does not have to be the same with the path of the actual maze line.
Which means, for someone to solve the puzzle he/she should think in a more complex way instead of simply "following" the line.

Or think of it in another way. Imagine two 3x3x3 maze cubes with different paths. Then merge them such that one path represents the stringing path, and the other path represents the actual maze line.

;)

Pantazis