Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Square One II question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:02 am 
I was looking at Wayne's wanted list, and saw the puzzle dubbed Square One II (New). It says that some of the pieces have to be locked together to hold the puzzle together. My version of this puzzle works but is somewhat wishy washy when turning. Which pieces are locked together exactly? I assume possibly a corner and an edge of each layer, or more? anybody know?

Post subject: Re: Square One II question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:50 pm 

I have one of these. There are only 4 pieces fused or glue together that looks like 1 piece on 1 layer. That's it. Here they are middle, corner, middle and corner. It's in that order. Hope this helps.

Post subject: Thanks, and clarification
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:40 am 
Thanks. let me make sure I understand. The middle corners that are joined are side by side on one layer?! Or are they above each other one on each layer?

Post subject: Fixed Pieces to Square 1 ll
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:17 am 
The puzzle photo that Wayne has shown in his Wanted list is the one I made.
The pieces that are fixed together are two corners and two edges in the upper (white) layer (looking at the photo pieces WYO, WOB, WO, WB where blue is the back colour.).
These four pieces are not actually fixed together but are glued to the internal mechanism forming, in effect, a solid one quarter block.
This is necessary to prevent the inner mechanism from rotating slightly while rotating one of the layers, as this then causes the vertical joint to become misaligned and therefore preventing (jamming) the vertical rotation (it is also hard to realign the vertical joint again).
I did try various methods to overcome this problem but without 100% success. I tried various strength springs with ball bearings to try and lock certain pieces to the inner mechanism when required but was not 100% reliable.
I must add that even though there is one quarter of the puzzle that does not get scrambled it is still possible to mix it up sufficiently to provide an interesting variation/solution to the puzzle.
I hope the above is clear. If not let me know and I will try to answer any queries.

Post subject: Re: Thanks, and clarification
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:40 am 

First question. What do you mean by middle corners pieces? The middle pieces are joined by both of the corners pieces on the same layer with one extra middle pieces only on one side. I just forget witch side it is. Hope this helps. Why are you asking? Just wondering!

Post subject: Info
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:32 pm 

Hi Anthony,

By the picture on Wayne's site, you seem to make
beautiful puzzles, do you think you could post pictures of your collection ?

Michael
:wink:

Post subject: Re: Photos
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:29 am 
Hi Michael

Thanks for your response.
My collection at the moment stands at 620 so sending photos of them would take quite a bit of time. However, believe it or not, I do actually have a photo of each puzzle in my collection. I did this with the purpose of cataloguing my collection. After taking the photos and scribbling a classification and additional info against them on my list, things seemed to grind to a halt, due to available time. I began this when I received my 500th puzzle. One day things will resume and I will actually compile the full catalogue.
Anyway, enough of that. If you do want to see photos of particular puzzles I can forward you my Puzzle Collection List (which also indicates all my self made puzzles) and you could inform me of the photos you wish to see. This would obviously be better if you could provide your email address somehow.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Photos
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:07 am 

Hi Anthony,

I didn't have a clue you had so many puzzles...out of the 620, are they all of the twisty type ?
I wouldn't mind seeing your list of puzzles, as for the pictures, maybe one day we could see an article about your collection on Wayne's site, and I wouldn't want you to waste time trying to find a specific puzzle then sending me the picture.

If you don't mind, and when it is convenient for you, you could send me your Puzzle Collection List
by email, it in the right hand corner.

Thanks
Michael
:wink:

Post subject: Re: Re: Photos
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:11 am 

Wow Anthony,

Just out of interest, can I have a look at your list as well?
I promise I won't be pestering you with "Daily photo request"(now thinking about it: that would take almost two years!)

So if you are sending one anyway, could you please copy me in?

Thanks
Vadim

Post subject: Re: Photos and email
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:07 am 

List should be with you shortly including an email message.

Post subject: Re: Photos and email
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:11 am 

List should be with you shortly including an email message.

Post subject: Put Photos in Museum
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 3:38 pm 

Anthony,

If you have 620 puzzles, and many of them were custom made by you, it would be a huge service to the community to have photos of your unique ones stored in the new puzzle museum at:

http://www.twistypuzzles.com/

If you need someone to help you do this, I would volunteer.

Post subject: Definately agreed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:34 am 

Yes, we should seriously look to using twistypuzzles.com as the definate source of pictures. The resource is there and should be used to it's fullest potential.

I have photos to send that way shortly.

Post subject: Re: Definately agreed
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:34 am 

I'm glad to hear you guys talking that way! Don't loose your fire, sent those pictures off ASAP! Submit some information via the online form, etc. Anything is appreciated.

I'm still very excited about the site and, as Wayne says, it's great potential for us all.

The best part about the site is that all of the information is going into a database. When I retire from hosting the site someday (in the far future, I hope!), someone else will easily be able to pick it up where I left it, design a new front-end if they want, whatever, all without losing a single snippet of puzzle information. As long as there is someone willing to host it, the puzzle community will always have that database as a resource. I just love that aspect.

Sandy