Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle invention - Comments?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:58 am 

Hi All,

I think I'm for inventing the puzzle below:

Like the dinocube, it has an 8-armed spider with trivial centres. I believe I can make this fairly easily over time, but want to know if it already exists or if someone else has come up with the idea before.

If not, I'll lay claim to it as Sausage's Cube or Johnson's Cube (not sure which yet).

Lastly, would this merit as a puzzle being worth building? It seems more of an extension of the dinocube concept, but as far as I can see, it would offer a little more than the dino cube in terms of a challenge.

Any comments?

Post subject: Will the edges stay in?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:43 pm 

Glancing at the puzzle, it's not clear to me how the tongues on the edge pieces are shaped so that they can turn past the face-centers and hold on to both corners.

It seems that in mid-twist, the edge piece is so far above the face center that the tongue must be pretty deep under the twisting corner. But if that's the case, then how does the "other" tongue not collide with the face center?

Post subject: Look nice, but no puzzle challenge
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:44 pm 

It looks nice but since the corner can only rotate on the axle, the chalenge is about the same as a Rainbow cube or a Pyramid. So a starters puzzle, I belive it can be solved in less than 14 seconds an take about 16 turns.

So I like it, but it will end up as a display piece.

Post subject: I'll take 2 please & trading ideas
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:57 pm 

I love that puzzle that you made. I'll take 2 please (I'm very serious about rubik/puzzles and I love all of them to). I have a Super Magic Magic Balls for a Rhombic Dodecahedron if you want to trade with me. What ever happen to spell check at the buttom?

Post subject: Looks good
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:01 am 

Like someone mentioned, the edges are worth thinking about, but if you can make it work it will be great - it looks fantastic!

Post subject: Tongue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:43 pm 

Yeah the tongue will be pretty tight but it shouldn't take much to work out a happy medium. The centre square will not be a srtict cubie, it will accommodate the tongue. It just might have to resess further in with a small lip. If a master pyraminx is possible, this should be a lot easier to do.

Post subject: Trade
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:57 pm 

Darren, drop me a mail. Not sure what happened to the spell button. Might have been on the other layout we used to have.

Post subject: True
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:50 am 

Yeah, I traced the movements and like the dino, the edges can never be "flipped". It's a shame but it does look good.

Post subject: more cuts = more combinations
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:50 am 

My idea. I would have a small triangle inside of the bigger triangle plus you would have more smaller pieces to. You would have 4 times as many pieces as you do now but not including the centers and the corners. Here is another idea. You could do what I said or not and add a Dino cube or are there copy right laws about that? Just a thought!!!

Post subject: Johnson's Cube
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:48 am 

The Johnson's Cube is great! There needs to be a little copyright symbol on your photo. This puzzle is definitely worth building. It may not be a huge challenge, but it is an exciting and aesthetically pleasing little darlin'.