Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dogic Market Realities
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:26 am 

Everybody wants a Dogic, but they are just too expensive through the marketing channels open to most of us (eBay). Nobody likes it (except the few who have extra Dogics). So why are prices so darned high?

Reality #1: Dogics sell for enormous prices on eBay because there aren't enough of them available to fill the demand. OK, everybody knows that. Why aren't there enough of them?

Reality #2: The people who make these puzzles, the Hungarian company, VECSO, have not figured out that there is a global market out there for them if they use the Internet to market their wares. Their market is much bigger than one little puzzle shop in Halle, Germany. Or maybe they do know this, but the Internet infrastructure isn't there yet for them.

Reality #3: In order for the parts to fit together, they have to be produced to tight tolerances. It requires a substantial investment in molds and tooling to produce multi-colored, high precision resin parts.

Reality #4: They are expensive to make. The Dogic has a lot of individual parts (someone wrote over 100?) and they probably have to be assembled by hand. The quality of the parts makes it evident that VECSO has a firm quality assurance process. It is hard to say if this process involves just a few people who are nuts about quality, or if there is a sophisticated quality control organization.

Reality #5: There is competition for Hungarian skills. I know for a fact that some global companies are moving to Hungary and building manufacturing operations for precision products like gas turbines (which are big, sophisticated machines used to produce electricity.) Companies choose Hungary because the people are smart and hard-working, and labor costs are not very high. The Hungarians like it because they want better-paying jobs so they can afford to buy products made elsewhere. Maybe VECSO is losing workers to better-paying jobs.

So, what have we got: high demand, inadequate marketing, high investment, high labor requirements, tight labor market. All these forces converging on Dogic prices.

There is an opportunity out there for someone (Uwe Meffert, are you there?) to go to Hungary and buy VECSO's tooling. Take the equipment to someplace where skilled labor is plentiful and inexpensive (sadly, not the US), and market them over the Internet. Here is the contact information from the leaflet inside the Dogic box:

VECSO Toy Manufacturer Ltd.
Hungary-2081
Piliscsaba Levente u.27

Tel: 00-36-26-375-179
Fax: 00-36-26-367-225

Post subject: Bargain Dogic?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 8:07 pm 
Two years ago a person put up a Dogic on Ebay and it sold for about $70. The seller said he had another one and I bought it for $68. At the time I thought it was way too much but then no dogics appeared on ebay until recently. I guess is was a bargain after all.
Michael

Post subject: Rumour about Dogic production
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 7:37 am 

When my colleague had a business trip to Budapest, I asked him to buy some magics and to look for Dogic. So he visited Rubik Studio and asked people here. They showed examples of different designs and explained, that this puzzle is too expensive for Central and Eastern European markets, that it isn't available in Hungary, that the nearest point to ask further is Seven Towns Ltd. in London. The production of Dogic seems to be moved to China.

Post subject: Me too
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 8:07 pm 

I recently bought a brand new dogic over the internet from Germany - a place called TOBS. After shipping, etc it set me back about AU$90 or about US$45. I was lucky because apparently they cant get any more.

An idea: Most desperate people would pay US$100 for a brand new dogic (a fraction of the usual ebay cost) so why not go back in business and charge much more for each puzzle? Im sure this would be a good option for them. I think people would go for it.

Post subject: Untitled
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:37 am 

The Dogic Puzzle, is by far a more complex puzzle, than the Rubik's cube, it has 249 pieces. of theses 176 move...
A couple of years ago I had purchased several mechanical puzzles from Uwe Meffert, and after a couple of twists and turns my 5 x 5 x 5 cube fell apart, so I wrote to him, and he sent me a brand new one at no charge
(thanks Uwe), but he told me that this problem did not occur often, since the 5 x 5 x 5 cube was built around a complex mechanism, that cost close to 250 000$ to develop (the molds, times, etc.),
So I gather that, to conceive the Dogic, it must of cost several thousands of dollars too.
So why then, does the the Dogic puzzle have as many mysteries as combinations?
Apparently this puzzle was only available in central europe, probably and mostly in Hungary
(it's was manufactured there), Germany, and countries around Hungary.
Who own the patent ?,
When was it first built ?,
How many were manufactured (yearly) ?,
Imagining the amount of money it took to conceived and build, and the challenge it offers,
why hasn't it caught on ?,
Bad marketing ?, bad timing ? maybe the "teflon generation" isn't interested in puzzle of this type ?
(remember the Rubik's fad lasted from 1979 to 1983...thats 20 years ago
...maybe it's time to bring back theses classic puzzles ? )
Apart from us (mechanical puzzle enthusiast) who ever heard of Dogic puzzle ?
Is there hundreds of theses puzzles just laying around in several houses in europe not being used ?
Maybe for the average person this puzzle was/ is to difficult, making it difficult to sell ?
Theses puzzles were sold approximately for 40$ to 50$, maybe people weren't interested paying that much ?
Would they, if they were still manufactured ? ...yeah, we would, but what about the rest of the us ?
etc., etc., etc...
In the mean time, we can only hope that if the Dogics are never rebuilt in Hungary, maybe in a couple of years,
the Dogics will be produced in China, for a fraction of the price, and easily available everywhere,
but probably with stickers instead...or who knows, if ebay doesn't open up a hungarian ebay site in the futur maybe all the Dogics that are laying around will be auctioned off ?

Michael
:wink: