Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:31 am 

Right. This seems like a good place to start!

1) Age, location, profession, eBay ID?

I'm 21, I live just outside Canterbury Cathedral, I'm a third year student at Kent Uni, and I steal my boyfriends ebay id. Image

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?

I mainly enjoy solving and the mathematics behind it all.

3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
I've been doing it for about two years after my Dad handed me a 2x2x2 Bart Simpson cube during a drive back to my family's home at the end of a Uni term and I spent the entire journey trying to suss it out. Shortly after this I heard about a possible dissertation topic involving the cube and become slightly obsessed! I do remember playing with a friends cube back in the 80s though...

4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?

I don't build them, if I had more skill I'd like to!

5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?

I only have 4 puzzles in my collection, so I'm small fry! I know it cost me about £40 in total for the lot, but I love them more than that! I also managed to bag a Mercedes Benz cube for my boyfriend of eBay but I don't count that as mine.

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?

At the moment I only have cubes, but I would like a couple of marble puzzles as I borrowed a friends once, and the logic was so pure!

7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why?

The Bart Simpson one as Dad gave it to me.

8) Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay?

Probably my 4x4x4. Original 80s version.

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.

a) The 4x4x4. Surprisingly simple once you crack it.
b) The Merc one. The colours are nice, and there are some good solved patterns to make.
c) My 3x3x3. It still has the best mechanism.
d) The 2x2x2. I know its fairly easy, but I love how it looks so simple, but everyone is foxed by it! It's always approached with "I bet I could solve that one" and then after 10 or so minutes... the penny drops.
e) I don't have a favourite for other reasons!

10) Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies?

Yup. A fair few actually! I play bass guitar (badly) and do recreational Maths, I also enjoy Turin Brakes, playing football (or soccer if you will), and hanging about with mates.

11) Is there anything else interesting about yourself that you'd like to share?

I'm about to embark on writing my dissertation entitled "The group theory of the Rubik's Cube" and I'm so scared!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:29 pm 

Age, location, profession, eBay ID?
My name is Scott Mikos. I'm 26 and currently live in Macomb, Illinois, USA, where I attend college. I don't really have a profession yet, but I have a degree in psychology and am currently pursuing a degree in mathematics with a focus on math education.

Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
Mainly solving (for speed and a little bit of blindsolving). I've started collecting what I can on my small college student budget. And I greatly admire all the the wonderful creations the talented puzzle builders of this forum have shared.

How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
I've been speedsolving for about 2 years and blindsolving for about 4 months.

How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
I probably own about 40-50 puzzles.

How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?
While a majority of my collection is just 3x3 cubes, the boundaries are rapidly expanding whenever I have a little bit of extra money. I tend to focus my efforts toward puzzles of the twisty variety. My collection now includes a couple of Studio cubes thanks to Dodd. :D

Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why?
My DIY speedcube from rubiks.com. We've grown very close since he travels to class and everywhere else with me.

Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay?
Hmm, probably my brand new Studio cubes (3x3 and 4x4).

What is your favourite puzzle overall for:
a) solving,
3x3

b) appearance,
Megaminx

c) feel,
3x3

d) complexity,
I guess my megaminx. It looks complicated.

e) other reasons.
My Rubik's 4x4, it started off as one of my worst puzzles for speedsolving, but after some work and lubing, it made significant improvements.

Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies?
Hmm, other than math and cubing?... not really. I like messing around with a little bit of computer programming and web page building, and I'm a big Chicago Cubs fan (US baseball).

Is there anything else interesting about yourself that you'd like to share?
My wife Emily supports my puzzling habits and solves the 3x3 and 4x4 herself. She is a music education major and recently taught several female camp counselors at a music camp to solve the 3x3 where they all solved their cubes on stage as part of their talent night.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:25 pm 

13, Florida, school, N/A
2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
Solving/collecting. No collection yet, heh.
3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
2 months. Jeff Goetz brought me into the sport.
4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?
N/A
5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
I have 3. Sentimental Value: Priceless
6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?
I get Rubik's/ mefferts puzzles. I'm going
to collect all the 3 x 3's I can though.
My Magic. Can't help but like it.
Heh, sadly, my normal 3 x 3.
9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.
A) Magic
B)3 x 3
C) Magic
D)3 x 3
E) 2 x 2
Golf.
Im wholely uninteresting :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:46 pm 

29 / New Westminster BC, Canada / Student/Freelance Writer

Mostly solving, although I'm trying to learn speedsolving.

Had a Rubik's cube as a lad, purchased a Square-1 about 8 years ago, purchased a whole bunch (Megaminx, Pyraminx, Rubik's, Mini-Cube, Rubik's Magic Puzzle - Simpsons version, Rainbow Cube, Professor's Cube) two years ago.

ADDENDUM (Nov 2006): In April 2006, I started getting more serious about it, since I finished school and had a bunch of free time on my hands between job applications and freelance work. So, I quickly learned the basic LBL algorithm for the Rubik's and it just snowballed from there.

I managed to get my solving time for the 3x3x3 to about a minute (still learning F2L algorithms, now going onto OLL and PLL), can solve the Revenge in about 3.19, the Professor's in about 5, and the 6 color Megaminx in 10 (provided I don't hit a parity error). I still can't solve the Square One.

ADDENDUM (Dec 2006): Recently acquired a dogic, a 12-color megaminx, and another Professor's Cube (Meffert's mini version)

Let's see...
1 Rubik's 2x2x2
2 Rubik's 3x3x3
1 Meffert's 4x4x4
1 Mefferts 5x5x5 (collector's edition)
1 Meffert's 5x5x5 mini (in repair, awaiting a replacement core)
1 Meffert's 5x5x5 mini (fully functional)
2 Pyramix
1 Rainbow Cube
1 Megaminx, 6 colour painted
1 Megaminx, 12 colour tiled
1 Rubik's Magic, 8-panel (Simpsons edition)
1 Dogic DIY Assembly (12 colour configuration)

There are none, although I try to keep it restricted to Rubik's and Meffert's, although lately I've been more interested in the Meffert's products, as they're cheaper to order on-line (I don't have to pay for duty or shipping), and the customer support is a lot better.

No particular "sentimental" favourite per se...I do most of my cubing on public transit and most people get a little nostalgic when they see the old-school Rubik's...although most of 'em tell me that they used to peel the stickers off.

a: Pyraminx, because I can do it quickly.
b: Dogic
c: Rubik's Cube
d: Megaminx
e: Square-One, for durability and no pops.

Comic books, blogging, guitar, martial arts.

I can pop my left shoulder out of the socket. And I'm a published writer.

Last edited by Toquinha1977 on Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:00 pm 

I all.

I'm 22, male and from Lincoln, England, I'm a second-year student in maths and education studies and on ebay I'm hulla_mahulla. Don't check the feedback though, not unless you want to see the various dessicated animal parts I used to collect.

More trying to solve, trying to collect and occasionally trying to build. What little success I have is purely coincidental.

(seriously)- since August. I downloaded a beginners' solution from Dan Harris's site- http://www.cubestation.co.uk (you know where to send the cheque Dan ;) )- plugged away at my 3x3x3 for a while and developed a fascination for all the various different varieties out there.

Pathetic attempts at bandaging cubes, usually involving masking tape and felt-tip pens. We get to use modrock in our maths course though so I might abuse my key to the store cupboard at some point and see if that's any good. :)

Purely plastic ones, not a lot, just the ones I've got off ebay recently. Got a lot of wooden ones though, I recently subscribed to the "Classic Puzzles and Brainteasers" partwork in the UK, which is seriously cool for getting little wooden puzzles. Due another issue now, actually.

Being partially suicidal I'll try anything once.

The Pyraminx, because after getting it and having no experience with it at all, I just got on the bus, started fiddling with it, and solved it before I was halfway home. :)

God knows. The Magic, provided the market for them is in a good mood.

a) the 3x3x3, original and the best.
b) Megaminx, without a doubt.
c) 3x3x3 or the Magic.
d) Megaminx, again
e) Quite fond of the snake- the only limitations are what you can think up. Provided it takes exactly 24 segments, of course.

I play scrabble fierecly competitively (on the subject of Dan Harris, I often teach him lessons (and, erm, "lessons") on the internet scrabble club), I also collect videogames fairly enthusiastically, and I was a series champion on the UK gameshow Countdown in 2001. :)

My right shoulder is double-jointed and I'm wondering if that can used in some bizarre, Terry Gilliam-esque cube solving condition. Maybe not, then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:03 am 

inaccurate

Last edited by Thom on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:32 pm 

bryan mytko, new york

mainly solving - i like collecting different puzzles but not expensive ones

i got a cube only 10 months ago and solve it once. 2 months after that I started playing with it again and got into speedcubing, and been obsessed ever since

about 20 various 3x3s, 2x2,4x4,5x5,square-1,megaminx... so about 25 puzzles. i don't have any idea how much it'd be worth...

i like mechanical puzzles that i can play with, but would never buy something like a deluxe cube because i'd be too nervous to play with it.

my original 3x3 cuz its so worn in and old. took my best time from 2:00 to 17s on that cube

i think the studio cubes sell for a lot sometimes. plus, mine is sanded and has new springs

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for:
a) solving, 3x3 cuz its just the classic
b) appearance, probably the megaminx, i've scared some people with it
c) feel, 3x3
d) complexity square-1
e) other reasons homer simpson cube, the stupidest puzzle on earth

guitar, art, math, science

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:32 am 

Greetings to everyone!!!

This is my very first post and I never realised that there will be so many people (gathered in one place) being more or less crazy than me regarding puzzles! :wink:

So, to introduce myself, here it goes:

I am in my 40s and my name is Pantazis (or Peter for those who can't pronounce it properly or remember it...
and you may even call me Panda if you want LOL).

I am Greek-Australian (dual citizenship), but you will always find me either in Australia, Greece or Singapore...!
I have a Master's in mathematics (Algebraic Graph Theory - directly related to puzzles!), and a PhD in Engineering. Have worked as Research Associate in various research projects, and this is also my current job...!

If you see the nickname "kastellorizo" bidding on ebay, please don't bid more!!! :P

Well, as a mathematician and a retro addict, I guess my interest is solving and collecting. My fishing background (I grew up in a tiny island with 150 people) gave me some extra understanding to the strings used in Rubik's magic style puzzles. I am also focusing now on creating other types of puzzles too, such as the gravity based Cubedron
as well as new types, never made by others. Mathematical symmetry is so wonderful... :wink:

When solving, I avoid following methods made by others, at least before I solve the puzzle, just in case I come up
with something new! And I am definitely not into speedsolving, I prefer to relax as much as possible while solving
my puzzles! :)

Other than that, there is the very useful GAP program allowing to calculate permutations and "decode" any puzzle!

Well... I would say more than three decades...! Rubik's cube was of course the main reason!
My first puzzle was a Whip-It in 1980/81... I still remember the Greek commercial with the song
"Some folks" playing in the background!
I was dragged back in this craze after I stumbled on a cylindrical cube at a flea market back in 1995...!
(At that time, I also got to see more puzzles, including a Football Masterball at my math supervisor's home!)

Well... I am still amazed of the architecture of some of those solids. But I have loved to expand the idea, mechanism and ways of stringing behind the Rubik's magics...
So far I have built a lot of magics
6-tile: e.g. Magic Maze, Magic Dino Cube,
8-tiles: e.g Build the Color Bench
9-tile: Silver Challenger, Secret of Atlantis
and much much more after coming up with the idea of making the 3-D single closed loop odd-numbered tile magics (aka magic myths). In the future there will be more, the possibilities are so many!

Regarding the gravity based puzzles, such as Cubedron, Octedron etc, I am actually filing a patent! :)
Then there are the 4D symmetry puzzles, the Fitting Interlocking puzzles based on civil engineering
research (which was voted in the Top Ten at the International Puzzle Design Competition!), and more
which I cannot reveal until the right time comes. 8-)

Well... around 2500 unique ones... and it keeps growing! Their worth in the market should be at least AUS$1,000,000,000 (according to my evaluation LOL).
And of course, I WILL NEVER SELL THEM!!! (but would definitely trade some duplicates).

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles
do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?

First of all, any twisty puzzle is welcome! I also like those that have a mysterious look, like some of the
Hanayama Japanese Cast Series!
I try to avoid the ones that tend to be interlocking until they become 5000 piece puzzles...! (because
there is almost no mathematics there). The same goes for some "too obvious" shape mods.

All my puzzles are part of me now... and no one can take them away from me!!! :P

After a fantastic deal with Dave Litwin, I finally got a Dino Cube, and eventually a complete set of all four Dino
Cubes. So I guess, this (combined) set is by far my most valuable "puzzle-asset".

I also predicted (and was right!) that the Astrolabacus will have an increase in value in the years to come. It is
really hard to say though, as there are many more gems in my collection (Smart Alex, Columbus Egg, Blind Man's
Cubes, Zaubekreuz, Magic Domino, Magic Octahedron(s), Rubik's Maze, etc etc etc).

Or should I say, my prototypes? :mrgreen:

a) I love most of the puzzles I design (especially Cubedron, Chronos, Houlis Cube). The experience is rewarding.
b) Columbus Egg... it just looks so powerful
c) 3x3x3... you can't beat that nostalgic feeling!!! But it seems the 7x7x7 V-Cube is the new champion!
d) Super Cubix/Square 1... eventually I solved it, but please don't ask me to do it again! (at least allow me to
take my time without staring at me!). Also... Dogic is not bad as well, because it stops you from solving it by
using it intimidating looks! And did anyone say... Colossus, the 24-cell beast of a puzzle???
e) Cubedron, Rubik's Magic alikes, Rubik's Shells, and Astrolabacus, because they seem like puzzles coming from outer space...!

European Football (Go Olympiakos! LOL), Arcade Video games, MAME. :lol:

Ok here it is... I LOVE YOU ALL! :)

:D

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Last edited by kastellorizo on Tue May 10, 2011 5:05 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:02 pm 

Well I'm 37, live in Northamptonshire (UK), an Account Manager in the parking sector and my Ebay trade name is somethingretro

Collecting for me, but only 2x2x2, 3x3x3 and 4x4x4

Been collecting retro for about 4 years and Cubes 2, always been fascinated by them, used to have one and I suppose I saw something that I could enjoy collecting and I certainly do.

Not applicable to me

I have about 40 cubes, very much priceless to me.

I will only collect late 70's and 80's official Rubik's Cube's of 2x2x2, 3x3x3 and 4x4x4 and I don't mean the poor excuses sold nowadays with the Rubik's name on. Then again the matchbox one isn't exactly quality. Apart from the cheap and nasty ones, I'll avoid sellers trying to make a fast back on items they know nothing about and are only interested in the price of an item.

Got to be the Ideal cube in the cardboard tub, first one I had.

I would probably say my tiled deluxe

Again, got to be the cube from 80/81, for me it doesn't compromise quality and feel, is well made and even after years of storage or non use, you can pick it up and it still feels the same.

Rubik's was not my initial interest, retro gaming was, but as the collection grew, I then decided to sell most of the kit and concentrate on a particular area 'Manic Miner'. It started to get harder and harder finding the items I wanted and I accidentially came across a Rubik's Cube...then that collection started. I can solve the cube (3x3x3) in about 1m30, tried the algorithm process, nearly ended up throwing the cube at the wall

Not in public, no. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:47 pm 

42, Hässelby, Stockholm, Sweden, slacker, Solkoll.

Primaly speedsolving, but me and my brother has got a small collection that we share. In the future I maybe will build some puzzles, has got some idéas for a 2x2x4 and a 2x2x3.

Started to speedcube back in 1981, was doing sub 30 averages in spring 1982... then Game&Watch came to Sweden and the cube was put aside. (My records is 14,000+ on Fire =) Then this summer (2005) my brother got his hands on a 2x2x2 and a 4x4x4 and a 5x5x5 from East-Sheen and that made me start again (had a crappy cube I bougt ca 1997 and used for a short while then). Now I'm been to the Swedish open contest, started to develop my own speedcubing method, averaging about 40 seconds on 3x3x3 and about 9 seconds on 2x2x2 and this is only the start...

Non, so far...

About 20 puzzled, dunno the worth of them, some $100-$200 I'll guess.

Any puzzle that looks intresting, unusual or give me (or us, the collection is also my brothers as I mentioned abowe) memories (love to have a Domino, both me and my brother had one each back in 1982, bougt them for about $5 brand new =)

My brothers Arxxon 1981 (he is using that one for speedcubing) because that one is exactly the same brand as those we used in our early carriers.

The Pillow/UFO I'll guess... Maybe the Rubik's Game. dunno really =)

For all thinkable reasons: "THE CUBE" (3x3x3).

Oh god! I have done anything that is not productive in any way, playing video-games, producing non comercial music of many styles (psyche to techno). Writing fractal program demos (invented many new fractals and methods, aspecially in 3D). Doing drugs was a hobby for many years :shock:

Well, try some of my fractal demos:

3D, Julia-sets (my method) http://members.chello.se/solgrop/3djulia.htm

3D fractal-trees (also my method =) http://members.chello.se/solgrop/3dtree.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:47 pm 

34, Spain right now, rescue161 for Ebay name.

Solving and collecting. I don't have any new additions except for the Ozzdon cubes that I have. Most of my collection is from 1980 or so.

Back in 1994 or so, I just out of the blue bought another cube (Ozzdon) and started practicing with it. My older cubes and puzzles were (and still are) at my mothers house back in South Carolina. I memorized 3 algorythms and have never progressed. I still get about 1 min 20 seconds. I know I could do better, but I have so much going on right now.

I honestly just found this site by trying to hunt down a Studio Rubik's Cube and never knew that people built their own puzzles. I did built a "heart" puzzle out of wire once. It was one of those"get the heart off of the rest of the puzzle" types. I am now very interested in building my own cube puzzles.

It's hard to say as I got all of my puzzles in the very early 80's (excluding the Ozzdon cubes), but from memory: Diet Coke can slide puzzle, two original Rubik's Cubes, 2 Alexander Stars, Rubik's Snake, Rubik's Magic (broken), Whippit, Rubik's key chain cube, Rubiks Pocket Cube, Rubik's Revenge, Pyraminx, Orb, Missing Link (Key Chain), two Megaminx's, truncated cube, Octagon, Square 1 (bought later on)

I have a home made "Date" cube, two 25th anniversary cubes, and several other Ozzdon cubes.

I really enjoy the ones that I listed above as well as brain teaser type puzzles like the type you find at Cracker Barrel (wood & metal style).

The only ones that are NOT sentimental are the Ozzdon cubes. all of the rest are from my childhood and really mean a lot to me.

I have no idea, but I'd probably say the Rubik's Magic (if it were not broken) as I've been looking on Ebay for a replacement and the prices seem to be outrageous.

A)3x3x3
B)Probably the original Magic (just because I'm on a mad search for one as a replacement).
C)Rubik's Pocket Cube
D)Don't know as I never was able to solve the 3x3x3 or greater when I was a kid. So now that I'm able to solve the 3x3x3, I haven't gotten the chance to mess with the rest of the puzzles that I own.

HAM radio is a big one for me, but I only use commercial gear. Scanning. I am kind of getting back into my old R/C hobby. M.A.M.E!!! - Building my own arcade games.

Been in the U.S. Navy for 14 years as a Field Corpsman (Medic) for the Marine Corps. Job takes up a lot of my time, so it's nice to be able to revert back to the good old days when I didn't know what stress was. When I was young and when my biggest problem was collecting enough Coke bottles on the side of the road so I could get enough money to go to the skating rink on Saturday. FYI, I needed $2.50; $1.00 to get in & for skate rental, $1.00 for a slice of pizza and a Coke and I still had enough for two games of Pac-Man. Ah, the good old days!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:55 pm 

25, spain, mathematician, rubikaz

pssss, solving, speeding, blindfold, collecting, math of the cube, all!!!

solve rubik's cube 1999
speedcubing 2005 (January)
blindfold 2005 (July??)
collecting 2004 (December)
math of the cube 2000-2001

I have made two siameses and I have turn a face of a barrel and change the stickers (2 colours)

About 80-90 puzzles.

I prefer old cubes in original boxes (plastic boxes)

Uf, I dont know ;)

An old spanish cube (mako 81-82) in the original box

solving: rubiks cube
appearance: alexander star
feel: rubiks cube
complexity: ufff, complexity?, dificult: nintendo barrel

Of course

I have a webpage, jeje (see my signature)

The best spanish forum about the rubik cube

http://www.rubikaz.com/foro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:49 pm 

19, Bilbao(Spain), Engineer student, and I am rastarubik in ebay.

I always try by myself solving them, and then in many of the puzzles I like to speedsolve. I also want to build puzzles, but I do not have the free time I will like yet.

I learn to do the 3x3 by myself 2 or 3 years ago, but I do not have a good cube and I did it once a month.... or less.

This year, on February, my girlfriend bougth me a Rubik's cube, and that is how my addiction started.

First I learn a beginner's method, and then in June-July I started learning Friddich with oll in 2 steps. Then I started buying things,,,,,,,, and I have to say that this is a non stop(What can I say that you don't know about... :) )

Eventually this September I finished with the full friddich... and.... with too many puzzles... :):):)

Ebay is going to drive me crazy! :):):)

Some siameses, fused and little things like that(3x3x4,3x3x5(extended ones)...ok that's not exactly building.

This summer I have planed to build an 3x3x5 (functional) and a 3x3x2(functional)

Around 40, I guess, but I am wating for more than 10 items.. so more than 50.

I am quite new on this, and I do not have very expensive items.... My colection sure that is the lower valuable in this forum... :):)

Me, like rubikaz, also like puzzles in original boxes, but, as they are more expensive, I only have a few... My student's economy isn't enougth...:)

But I like those that are secuential puzzles.

I avoid those ones that are too expensive...lol

Sure that my first Rubik's cube and my alexander star (both were my girldfriend's presents :D )

I am not sure about this..... but soon I will have one that is very valuable... :)

solving: rubiks cubes(2x2,3x3,4x4,5x5)
appearance: alexander star,Piraminx, megaminx and Rubik's ball
feel: Skewbs
complexity:Not sure, but one of the most complex of my collection is the Supercubix(like Square1 but spanish version). Well, I also have a Ten Bilion Barrel but I do not try it yet. But it seems very difficult)

Yeah! I love snowboarding, i also used to skateboard, I like staying with my girlfriend and with my friends. I really like to ''play'' with my parrots.

Not sure, I might do a little web page, in order to put some photos, and videos.

Oh yeah, I have a video of the Spanish Championship! But it is 4 gb sized... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:43 pm 

20. Shreveport, LA. No eBay.

I am interested in solving them now.

I used to play with a Rubik's cube when I was a kid and loved it. Lost touch, and just recently received a cube for Christmas and have been fascinated with it.

I don't build any, or at least not yet.

So far only one 3x3x3 cube. Fixing to buy another to build for speed. Going to grab a 2x2x2 and 4x4x4 soon too. Might even try a puck.

I'm just starting my collection.

I've only done the 3x3x3. and it's all I have.

Read above.

Same one.

I have played guitar for 7 years, bass for 6.

Nothing that I can think of. Just a Comp Sci and Graphic Design college student.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:08 pm 

22, Slovenia, math student

A bit of everything. Solving is fun, I'm slowly building up my collection, I've made some simple mods.

3) How long have you been doing the above?
I've learned how to solve the cube about 8 years ago, I got interested in other twisties about a year and a half ago.

I've made the Ultimate Cube (sticker variation), a couple of bandaged cubes, cubeoctahedron. Now I'm working on a 2x3x3.

Not many, just a few standard ones, so it's not worth a lot.

I like the ones that look related to the cube, namely black plastic, coloured stickers; nice polyhedral shape is a bonus. I hate cheap clones and anything that looks like them.

The first real cube I got, obviously. The cheap one I used when I learned hot to solve it is long gone and I sure don't miss it.

I don't think any are worth a lot. Maybe the megaminx and Cube 21.

a) 3x3x3
b) megaminx, cube 21
c) 3x3x3
d) cube 21

Reading, movies, computer games, comics (like Asterix (or anything french really), Zvitorepec), maths, learning foreign languages (english, french, latin,...), etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:33 am 

16, Bay Area, CA(More specifically San Ramon, CA) High School Student; Sadly I order stuff on e-bay with my friend's account
My main interest is probably solving my cube faster.
I actually first tried to solve a 3x3 beacuse one of my friends brought a 3x3 to Best Buy and fell in love with it ever since. About a week ago and now I solve it using the layer by layer method.
I have created 2 mini evil twins
12 puzzles but 6 of them are going to be opened for parts or building
anyhting twisty :)
My 25th cube. Although all its stickers are peeling off its my first cube.
Maybe the necklace, since it is an antique now.
a) diy cube
b) 2x2 cube (It's so cute!)
c) diy cube
d) Mini Evil Twin
e) 25th(Sentimental value)

I am currently have a hobby of rc cars also
Well, I am colorblind so I cant tell the color between red and green. Its quite frustrating at times.

Last edited by Seunghoon Yi on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:30 pm 

1)
I am 17, and I am currently an exchange student here on Kodiak, Alaska. I am from the Harts Mountains in Germany, where I have lived since my birth.

2)
My main interest is simply to solve puzzles. Especially the easier puzzles such as skewb mechanisms or pyraminx are fun, since I can figure them out intuitively, without any algorithms. I haven’t learned these algorithms yet. For every puzzle that is too hard to be figured out just like that, I have to look up the solution. There's nothing more fun than trying to find a solution for a puzzle.
But that doesn't mean that I don't like harder puzzles. I always have my 3x3x3 with me and my 5x5x5 is still one of my favorites because of all the patterns one can make.

3)
I had had a 3x3x3 cube, my first twistypuzzle for several years, 5 or so. Since it was a knock-off product though, I did not have instructions, nor did the puzzle turn very well. I always tried to solve it side by side, but since I didn’t come so far, this cube never really became one of my favorite toys. There were months or weeks when I found it somewhere in my room and gave it a try again, and then there were months were I almost forgot that thing. I was never really into the toy. 2 years after my 3x3x3 cube I got a 2x2x2 cube for Christmas. It was the Darth Maul rubik's cube. However my mum had always told me that there were step by step solutions for these puzzles. That already seemed impossible and unbelievable to me when I only had the 3x3x3 one. I could never imagine a step by step solution for something with such an infinite number of states. However my Star Wars puzzle had booklet, a hint booklet only, that didn’t tell me anything I hadn’t figured out in a few days. I than totally lost my faith in solutions.
Than, a few months or weeks ago that all changed. When I came here to Alaska I met my new friend Abel. One day we were sitting in the school’s library in our open-hour and he grabbed out a rubik’s cube. I asked him how many sides he could solve. He just answered “I always finish it and you solve it row by row, not sides.” I just laughed and thought he was joking and than he started twisting and I wondered what he was doing there since he seemed so serious.^^
After 2 minutes or so I saw the first solved cube in my life. That was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen. I than at home started the internet, still believing I must be somehow dreaming or so and found not only the affirmation that his row by row solving was right, but also a real step by step solution. I just tried it and it made sense what was written there and after 7 minutes I solved my first cube!
Than I actually found pages like Mefferts and Rubiks and puzzle that I didn’t know. I never even knew there were 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 cubes!
I took a few minutes on these 2 pages and I was addicted, big time, by only looking at the photos of these awesome toys. Now I solve the 3x3x3 in 55 seconds, average and I have most of the puzzles one can buy.
I still don’t understand though, how I could own a 3x3x3 for 4 or 5 years without knowing that it is not solved in sides and that I did the whole procedure wrong. No one ever told me!
I should have looked through the internet earlier already!! Now I actually see that it makes way more sense anyway to solve it in rows not in sides. In all these years I would almost say, why didn’t I think of that earlier on my own.

4)
I haven’t built anything yet. However I will in some weeks or months try the extended 3x3x3 one. Even though not fully functional, the pictures that I saw looked awesome.

5)
My collection includes 15 puzzles, all "new", means no puzzles you could not buy in online stores any more, except for my square one that I, believe it or not, got for Christmas 2005.A friend of my hostmum gave it too me. She found it in a fishing store, original packaged, just a few days after my figuring out that this awesome puzzle is not produced any more! It was an amazing coincidence. I unwrapped it, the puzzle was worth more to me than it’s value in original package. The price paid for the collection should be about 240$. However I don’t know what I could get for it now, all puzzle used but for a couple of weeks only.

6)
I avoided marble puzzles so far. I primarily find twistypuzzles way more interesting. Maybe later I’ll buy rubiks rings or shells or whatever and see how it is. I did order one rubik’s magic. It hasn’t come yet. I’ll see if a folding toy like that is fun too.
I love twistypuzzles I know that.
I do not like sliders. Maybe I’m just ignorant there. I cannot solve higher levels than 3x3x3 sliders and never really practiced that. Somehow boring after a few minutes.

7)
3x3x3 I always carry it around in school. I currently couldn’t stand a day without it. I’m also proud of my square one

8)
That is actually my 5x5x5 cube. I have never bought a puzzle of a higher price.

9)
a) 3x3x3 5x5x5
b) impressive: 5x5x5 20color dogic megaminx
interesting: pyraminx megaminx skewb
c) 3x3x3 skewbcube
d) mechanism: 5x5x5 dogic
solution: 3x3x3
e) golden cube – gorgeous
skewb: a really cool mechanism. It really deserves to be in more than just one puzzle

10)
3d modeling, skiing, playing the guitar

11)
My 3d models were part of a battlefield 42 mod once, but somehow my beginner program was not fortunate. I actually don’t even know if it became a “downloadable” mod and if it was finished. But the important part is, they saw the models and asked me to draw some for their mod.^^

I have had my square one for 1.5 months now and I could solve it 2 times by just trying this and that, without having seen any solution or math.
Was that accidantally?

Post subject: Who Me?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:24 pm 

I'm old enough to be a father to most of you, and maybe even a grandfather to some of you. I live in Southern California, and work for a company that provides in-flight entertainment systems for major commercial airlines & private aircraft.

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest collecting, building, or something else?

I a recent collector, although I have a few original pieces that were given to me in the early '80s.

I was dormant for quite a few years, and got hooked again when I stumbled on Mefferts web site.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks; in my case, even old tricks.

I have around 20; they're only worth what someone is willing to pay.
I'm planning on passing them down to my children, or grandchildren should I live long enough for them to appreciate my collection.

I interested in all Rubik-type varieties, and the various link/unlink the
rinks flip-panel puzzles. I try to avoid puzzles with stickers, which is why I like Mefferts (with the tiles). My only stickered puzzle is the calendar cube on my desk.

That's a hard one . . . I guess the 20-color Dogic and the Rainbow Masterball. . . I'm amazed at the engineering/mechanical design work that goes into them.

Dogic

a) 4x4x4 cube
b) dogic
c) megaminx
d) dogic
e) rainbow masterball; it's just pretty

I enjoy doing math/logic puzzles, and just recently became addicted to sudoku puzzles. I also enjoy some light reading about the origin of the universe (Steven Hawking, Brian Greene, etc)

I almost a senoir citizen, and I'm still alive!

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:34 am 

30, Viriginia, Electrical Engineer, shmeb

My main interest is in solving, though I've been getting more and more interested in collecting interesting puzzles I haven't solved yet!

Tyson Ho on Beauty and the Geek is what got me interested in cubing. I'd always thought the cube was ridiculously difficult to solve, but when I saw Tyson do it so quickly and blindfolded, I realized it couldn't be that hard. I found Lars' solution on the net, bought a cube and had a 5 min solve after a week. I'm not interested in speed solving (yet at least) and I'm down to about 2 mins. I've also bought and conquered the 2x2, 4x4, 5x5, Skewb and Pyramix. Fun stuff. The wife's not too excited about the new hobby though...

Haven't built any, though the idea intrigues me... Tony Fisher's inventions are amazing.

Not too many - I have 8 puzzles. ~ $125.

I'm mainly interested in twisty puzzles (though I own a magic from years back). I'm also interested in metal manipulation puzzles - if that's the right definition.

Probably just the 3x3 since it seemed to intimidating my whole life.

5x5x5 - nothing special.

a) solving - 5x5x5
b) appearance - Skewb
c) feel - 3x3x3 - After cubing with my keychain 3x3x3 or my 5x5x5 for so long, my full size 3x3x3 cubes feel huge and comfortable.
d) complexity - 5x5x5
e) other reasons - 3x3x3 is fun simply because of the speed I can solve it in (not impressive in speedcubing, but impressive to me!).

Poker, Guitar, Poker, Chess

Nah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:51 pm 

Last edited by reeeech on Tue May 08, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:23 pm 

My name is Frank Morris, age 24 from Boise, ID. I am a manager for a hotel corporation, and my ebay ID is ephem825.

I suppose my main interest is solving, but I do have aspirations of building. I collect a bit as well, but not really the rare stuff.

I had always wanted to play with a cube when I was a kid, but there was never one in my house, and I never saw one in the stores. I had friends who had cubes laying around, but they would never let me mess with them. In April of 2002, a friend of mine gave me a cube and I was hooked. There were times when I would lose a little interest, but a surgery and an injury gave me reason to come back to the addiction.

I have not built any puzzles yet, but I really want to build a siamese 3x3x3. I feel kind of intimidated by it, which I am sure will make the builders on this site laugh..

I have probably 90 puzzles. I don't know if I would say that is is valuable, since most of the items are available in stores.

I pretty much just look for puzzles that I don't have. I suppose I avoid puzzles that I have more than a couple of.

I think my sentimental favorite would be the 5x5x5 cube that I used when I won at the World Championships in 2005.

Perhaps my mini evil twin. It's really the only custom puzzle that I have. Although, some people might pay money for cubes that are signed by winners at the last 2 world championships. Who knows.

a) solving,

5x5x5

b) appearance,

Megaminx

c) feel,

3x3x3

d) complexity,

Evil Twin
e) other reasons.

3x3x3 Blindfolded.. it freaks non cubers out.

I am an artist, and I like doing many other random things at random times... Juggling, gymnastics, bboying... pretty much any sport I guess and spending time with my wonderful wife Christy.

Post subject: Re: Who's Who...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:06 am 

Last edited by Georges on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:10 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:47 pm 

48, Webster, NY, Research Scientist

Building, collecting, solving in that order.

Since the early 80s. I got a cube and I was intrigued solved it eventually and even got some puzzles from Mefferts (still have the puzzle catalog from back then). I toyed around with designing my own but until recently did not have all the skills/ knowledge to make them happen.

I have built my Tuttminx and my dodecahedron. Current projects: a couple of mods I am working on but mostly like doing originals. I will probably make some of the prisms, besides my own designs.

Have not counted and no idea.

The classic solid twisty puzzles and I also like the topological puzzles, eg rings and ropes.

Megaminx, because I like the symmetry of a dodecahedron.

No idea
Probably the 5x5x5. The feel of it is very smooth and lots of interesting moves. Took quite a while to figure out the first time.

Too many to count but some are fossil and mineral hunting, fossil preparation, faceting gemstones, woodworking, electronics design and building, comic book collecting, travelling, science, etc.

I find the people on this forum great. I was very happy to find there were others with this interest also. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:51 pm 

1)28, Indiana (USA), software developer

2)My main interest is solving... but it seems like collecting is happening as a side effect. I've never owned a puzzle that I refused to play with just to keep it in good condition, though. I'm on the very brink of building a Domino, as soon as I get my hands on another keychain.

3)I commited my first complete set of algorithms for the 3x3x3 to memory in college, then took a few years off, then decided to learn to speedsolve. I'm coming up on one year since I started speedsolving.

4) As mentioned above, I'm just about to try a 3x3x2 as my first mod. If that goes well then who knows where it will lead.

5) My collection: 1 2x2x2, 4 3x3x3s, 1 3x3x3 keychain, 1 4x4x4, 1 5x5x5, and 1 megaminx. Nothing rare, I doubt it's worth more than $100 for all of them.

6) I love cubes... not very excited about other shapes, I guess from an aesthetic standpoint. I'm mildly interested in a skewb, just for some variety.

7) My 25 anny 3x3x3 is my most "sentimental" cube because I spent so much time making it nice. :-) The 3x3x3 as a whole is just perfect in design... definitely my favorite.

8) My 4x4x4 (Rubik's) might be worth the most because it's an excellent speedcube and in perfect condition. I can't imagine it being any nicer.

9) Favorites
a) solving: 4x4x4 for the most possible variety in every solve (no fixed centers, two possible parities). The only thing missing is the fun of big centers... The 6x6x6 will be my favorite when it comes out.
b) appearance: 3x3x3
c) feel: 3x3x3
d) complexity: 4x4x4 (see above)

10) other hobbies: playing guitar, biking

11) Hmm, anything else to know about me... The only thing more mentally engaging than puzzles is my faith in Jesus. I have a wife and two children who are very patient with my fixation on twisties. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:58 pm 

30,China,Webmaster,rubik_ch

both

magic 12,maigc 16,I put it in the eBay

about 50,

Last edited by James Lee on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:58 am 

Edit Wednesday October 17th, 2007.

18, Eastern Michigan University (Ypsilanti, MI), Lifeguard (summer job), the_ill_rat
--------------------------------------------
2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else? Solving and Collecting. I've started my hand at building some what.
3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in? Solving, Since October 2005. Collecting, since around January 2006.. I was unable to loose touch with the field because I wasn't born until 1989.
4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects? I'm finishing up a Dodeca and Star prisms, and a Hexagonal Dipyramid. I also have a botched 2x2x3 with a cheap mini 3x3x3.
5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth? 100. $1500-2000. I need to add it up when I go home for Thanksgiving.
6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid? Twisty puzzles. I'm not to fond of Burrs.
That's hard to choose. I really can't. =P
I'd have to say the Astrolabacus.
a) Square-1/Eastsheen 5/Cuboid (ie 4x4x5). b) Dogic. c) Astrolabacus. d) Astrolabacus. e) Skewb.
I swam competitivly for 9 years, but have stopped and I'm not swimming in college. I was the captain of the swim team my senior year in highschool. I'm into skateboarding still, which I've been doing on and off for 6 years. I also am actively engaged in making films with a group of friend and have written a feature length movie over the last 2 years. We are putting our videos up at http://youtube.com/FFSProductions .
Not that I can think of.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Last edited by Noah on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: The 'about me' thing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:59 pm 

Not sure if anyone actually reads through all these, but here goes...
Old enough to be involved in the first Rubik's cube craze back in the 80's at school :D I live in the UK and work with children - fun stuff, but exhausting!
Probably solving at the moment - I'm a recent reconvert (see below) but I love to tinker and take things apart, so you never know, the building may yet come...
I was around when the first wave of Rubik's first hit, and can remember a tatty photocopied 'answer' sheet making the rounds at school, which was mainly illegible. I managed to solve it by following the algorithms (eventually!) but nothing groundshaking. Then, a while ago, I found my old cube and had a play around...it was back to square one! (no pun intended!)... my primary school solution was a string of half-remembered mumblings. That's when I started trying to get logical and seeing if I could find a way to solve it on my own, and that sparked an interest again. Since then I've trawled around Ebay and come across countless different methods of solving on the internet, so I'm still on a learning curve. My method probably takes about 3 minutes *blush* but hey, room for improvement!
Ummm... does putting the 5 x 5 back together after it falls apart in my hands count? No.. didn't think it would...
Nothing spectacular at the moment - my original Rubik's got a cubie accidentally 'flushed' down the toilet by a small child a few weeks ago, so since then I've been on the search for a cube which feels as solid and moves as well....that means I've got a few standard 3 x 3's of varying quality knocking around (what happened to the stickers on the newer cubes? pft!) and then a few varieties (4 x 4, 5 x 5 etc) I've picked up rather haphazardly over the years... could probably count them all on my fingers :D
I like the wooden assembly puzzles, twisty rubik's type and stuff like pentominoes...the rubik's type appeal most because theyr'e so tactile though ^^
Hmmm.. it would've been my original cube from childhood up until recently, but sadly that's gone now... so probably my 5 x 5 meffert's which I bought a few years ago, when they were still available in toy shops over here. It makes satisfying crunchy sounds when I twist it...
I'd never sell any of them, but was surprised by how much the Naoki Yoshimoto cube has shot up over the years...so probably that one, then :D
9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving my 5 x 5... I use an edges first method, and find placing the centres strangely therapeutic.. b) appearance probably my dogic...looks good, but falls apart a little too readily! c) feel my 5 x 5.. it's that nice hard plastic and sounds great (OK I've already mentioned that, but it is a big part of its appeal to me!) d) complexity I'm waiting for a square1 to arrive.. in the meantime I don't think I've got anything too complex....probably the 5 x 5 e) other reasons. Did I mention the scrunchy sound of my 5 x 5...?
10) Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies? This is like filling in a school CV where you sit and desperately think of something you want to say....I was a milk monitor in Primary school... does that count?
11) Is there anything else interesting about yourself that you'd like to share? I like the way that question implies I've already said something interesting :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:14 pm 

born in '86. Columbus OH, USA. student / warehouse worker. ebay = aolisavirus

building is my main interest. my collection is modest. i can solve everything but cuboids.

3) How long have you been doing the above?

i've been solving since 2002. got back into it in 2005 when i discovered the 5x5, and TP forum. started building when i found TP. downhill ever since.

all i've built is on display in my youtube. i tried and failed building a few others (3x3x5, 2x2x3 keychain, etc) but hopefully i will succeed in future attempts.

5) How many puzzles are in your collection?

my collection fluctuates all the time. im either cutting, trading or selling. puzzles i can't live without, however, are 3x3, 5x5 and pyraminx.

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection?

i stick to twisty puzzles. no magics, no assembly, no spinout, no 15, etc. forget the platypus.

5x5x5. 2nd puzzle i was able to solve, 1st solved by myself.

magic octahedron.

9) What is your favourite puzzle for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.

to solve:_______high order cubes
appearance:____Anthony Greenhill's mods.
feel:___________eastsheen 2x2
complexity:_____square1
other:__________dogic is REALLY fun

10)Do you have any other hobbies?

played piano for 5 years, quit.
played guitar casually since i was 12
played drums for 9 years, quit.
professed in marimba. played for 4 years. played competitively on the world scale, won big. quit.
computers, philosophy, arguing, running, lifting, smoke shisha (you gotta try it).

i have a rubber band ball i started in third grade that now has a 25 inch circumference.
unicycle a little.
juggle a little.
yoyo a little.
kid at heart (duh)

Last edited by p|astic on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:40 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:07 pm 

Born 1985. I live in Gothenburg, Sweden and study medical chemistry. On ebay I go under the ID H_Haara

Just about all of the things listed above, it is just that I am interested in it, but that doesn't mean I am good at it... (for example: at the moment I desire to build things, but havn't started...)

Have always been interested in the cube, and recieving one at the comming of 2006 I "got stuck" to it!

I want to build a domino, since I don't have the money to buy one :P
I have made a connectionedge for a siamese 3 (not a feat, I know, but it is still my first ever build... :P)

Not many at the time: one of each 2x2-5x5 and some other like 8- and 12-magic. (If I get the time I will edit a full list here, in case somebody actually cares :P)

I haven't had as much experience that I want to avoid anything yet...

My first 3x3 simply since it started it all...

No idea. Since all I have are either fairly simple or very common I might answer none...

a) anything I haven't solved yat since I like challenges
b) anything that contains its shape
c)so far I would say a flat centered 3x3 (have had it for about two weeks, but I start to love it)
d) see a)
e) I like all those costom mods that some brilliant saints here have done. (At least apperence, since I haven't touched one, and sadly the chances I will do are slim :()

I like fencing (but I don't train it at the moment, will start again), unicycling (and other mad things).

The above sums up quite good to things that I can come up with right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:16 am 

1)
Hey, I am Remy. I am 12, I Live In Marlow (UK)I Don't Really use eBay. Oh! I am a Boy ;)

2)
I rather enjoy collecting, but solving is fun too!

3)
I have been interested since I was 10 when my mate
brought In a Rubik's Cube to school. We tried to beat
the world record!

4)
I built that string puzzle... (does that count :?)

5)
I Have 3 Different Rubik's Cube, and a Japanese 2x2x2 cube... my collection is probably worth a tenner

6)
I quite like Rubik's Products...

7)
The 2x2x2 cube. It is soooo cute!

8)
I have no idea of the meaning of this question...

9)
The 2x2x2 cube... It is just fantastic.

10)
Yes, I do, i collect top trumps (i have a cllection worth over £100)I play sport and i go to school.

11)
I first solved the Rubik's 3x3x3 cube yesterday, and have done it 5 times since?[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:18 pm 

15, Glastonbury CT, USA, Youth Hockey Official

Building and Collecting

I was in a saturday detention, and my friend started to do it. I was hooked ever since.

2x2x4, 2x2x5, 2x2x6, 2x2x2 Skewboid, 3x3x5, multiple siamese / fused puzzles. And many others, I just dont feel like listing them. Check my collection, all the customs that are in there are hand made by me.

40-50 unique? As for value, definiatly $500+ because of all the customs I have made.

I avoid the head 2x2 puzzles, mainly because I just think that they are annoying to solve, and even more annoying to turn.

I have two. The first, which is my proudest achievement, is my 2x2x5 puzzle with uniform cubies. To my knowledge, nobody else has made one of these puzzles. The other one, being a speed-fusion 3x3, mainly because that was the first custom I made and I was so proud of myself after I hade made it.

Uhm, my 2x2x5, my siamese square one, or my 3x3x5,

My favorite would definiatly be the Master Cuboctahedron. It has a good feel to it, and can acualy be challenging because of how it looks.

Hockey, Skateboarding, Poker.

Ehh, not really.

Post subject: New uk fan here
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:47 pm 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
36, Warwick, UK, IT Network specialist

Just the Rubiks cube, completing as a party trick

Got one when I was 12 after my brother brought one back from France in 81

Build?? are you mad??

None at the mo. looking to buy a cube with a nice action lol

There is only one cube!

I wish I still had my original, god know where it went!

lol My original

The Cube

Nitro RC cars, computers and games

My best time was for the cube - 35 secs I use the corners first method

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:17 pm 

I've been going to this site for a while and just now decided to post this.

1) 20, Mount Airy, NC, currently at home and going to college next semester, no eBay ID

2) My main interest is solving

3) I've been cubing for 3 years

4) I don't build

5) I only have 5 different types of puzzles (3x3, 5x5, Alexander's Star, Snake, KBall)

6) I don't really collect

7) 3x3x3 DIY, it's the only one I'm fast at

8) none

9) 3x3x3, Pyraminx looks nice though

10) Other hobbies? Video games, music (System of a Down, Coheed and Cambria, Elton John, Ozzy [solo]).

11) Nothing really.

Last edited by Athefre on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:36 pm 

My name is Doug. I am a 21 year old asian male living in Ann Arbor, MI. Currently I'm *still* a student (Computer Engineering and Mathematics), but also am a lab instructor and grader for a Digital Circuits course here. In the math department I used to do tutoring, grading, proctoring, and was a bit of a research assistant. I consider myself an educator and am definitely "teacher-tracking" myself. I rarely use e-bay. I also go by the handles DougCube, D_Funny007, UMichSpeedCubist, umspeedcubist.

When I first started 8 years ago, I consider myself a speedcubist, I cook up cubing methodology, algs, and stuff. Then I got into just speed solving the 3x3 for a few years. Nowadays, I am becoming proficient in the 5x5. I would like to build if I had time and resources. I have a few ideas, but guess that will have wait until I graduate. I also love doing the magic and have interest in stringing techniques and speed-stringing them. The next interest down the list would be blindfold solving a 4x4 and perhaps someday also a 5x5.

For my first year or two I was not in touch with any outsides resources. I eventually joined up with the yahoo group in 2000. Occassionally I lose contact for a couple months due to academics and various issues surrounding my personal life. I always come back though. Many cubers eventually retire. I believe that I am a cuber for life.

I would like to build a 3x3x5, a transparent 3x3 cube, and a 2x3x3 (in no particular order). With my freetime, however, I devote to maintaing my speedcubes and preparing new ones... this can be just as time consuming as building (seriously). I definitely pride myself as one of the most elite cube prepers out there, regularly having the smoothest most well-balenced cubes around (even 5x5s).

I probably have over 100 items. I have at least 30 3x3s, seven 4x4s, five 5x5s, an Eastsheen 2x2, six magics, one master magic, a silver chrome plated 3x3 from WC2003, a gold chorme plated 3x3 from the Nationals06 trophies, a megaminx, an Alexander's Star, Brain Twist, a textured pyraminx, a square-1 (VERY smooth), two keychain cubes, and a bunch of other things I can't think of off the top of my head right now. No clue how much everything is worth. I do hope that my main 5x5 is worth around $100 though for being so well prepared and maintained.

I mainly stick to (NxNxN) cubes, and lots and lots of magic tiles and strings. A few things I have, just to say that I have them.

Anything I decide is worthy enough to place my logo sticker on. But I'd have to say my main 3x3 and my main 5x5. I lost two very amazing 3x3's a couple years ago and was very sad about it. I hope to rebuild my fleet of speedcubes. It shall be a grand empire indeed (even if I have to wait 20 years).

No clue... could be the silver WC2003 cube, my Alexander's Star, or silver Master Magic made in Hungery. I would never sell any of my puzzles though, especially not my main speedcubes. The one with most value to me is of course my 5x5, as it is pretty much irreplacable (though I have one getting worked in, it won't be quite there for a few more years). I guess there is this really ancient McDonald's cube I found, that might be worth something because it is so rare.

My main 5x5, it's one of the best 5x5s in the world (and that's not just my biased opinion).

Lots.

Tennis, Teaching, Angsty Love, Pondering the Meaning of Life, Listening to Music, Collecting Music, Making Playlists, Singing in the Shower, Embedded Systems Design, Computer Architechture, Robotics, Compiler Design, Pipelines, Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis, Number Theory, Combinatorics, Recreational Math Competitions, Road Trips, Human Psychology, Debating Philosophy (especially on long walks in the dead of night), Political Science, Web Design, PHP, Photography (landscapes mostly), Romance/Drama Movies, Action Movies, Watching lots of Sci-Fi, Reading Sci-Fi, Reading Fantasy, Clothes Shopping, Picking out Computer Periperals, Solving Any and All Mechanical/Permutation Puzzles, Solving them Blindfolded, Dating, Interior Design/Decor, Dreaming (and controling my dreams), Cooking, Recreational Cupstacking, Travel (to various competitions/touranments), and of course obsuredly difficult Sudoku

Hem let's see.... well I watch a lot of movies and televsion (like *10x* more than normal people). I know a ton of music and their lyrics. I pride myself in having lots of pop culture knowledge. I love kids, they get along with me and follow my directions... it makes everything blissful.

I have incredibly high standards when it comes to writing mathematical proofs and hope to get a Ph.D. in math someday.

I love the (two) Stargate series and probably know more about the show than some of their writers o_O. I tend to watch the seasons of Grey's Anatomy over and over until I know what every character is going to say and the names of all the songs they play in the background.

I absolutely LOVE tennis and photography.

Most of the time I'm trying not be lazy.
I hate grading and enjoy avoiding work.
I just try to live life to its fullest.
I'm an INFJ; although I'm certain I used to be an INTJ.

I'm a very social geek and quite an emotionally in-touch person.

Goal: to create a pressure-less, expectation-free zone for myself.

I hold a 3rd place title in the nation (U.S.) for 5x5 Rubik's cube.

Totally off-the-hook crazy (...or eccentric depending on how you look at it).

Oh yes, and once I built this little robot that could *scan* and solve a 3x3 cube (9.5s if I used optimal sequence). I also designed a really complex microprocessor core once, it took many months.

averages => 2x2 - 10.02, 3x3 - 22.16, 4x4 - 1:40.63, 5x5 - 2:22.60
single attempts => 4x4 - 1:21.78, 5x5 - 2:05.11, magic - 1.38, master magic - 5.03

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:40 pm 

Born in 1980, Software Engineer at a large computer company, loganbryan

Collecting first and then solving, because it's very difficult to solve without having the puzzle (although not impossible).

After my first daughter was born, she had to be held alot. I read a story about the Rubik's cube on some website, and remembered that my wife had a knock-off cube in the desk drawer that she got as a Christmas gift a few years ago from my brother. I learned how to solve that in the fall of 2003. I could cube while my daughter was laying on me and it was a hobby I could put down instantly and didn't have to leave the house for. Then I got a few more cubes for that Christmas and my collection has just exploded.

They're all in my mind right now.

Look at my collection for the latest numbers.

I like puzzles that have different solutions. I don't really care about sticker variations unless it was of something I was interested in. Also, the mechanics of the puzzle of to be straight-forward. If it can't be represented in a computer program, then it's probably not for me.

Nothing really sentimental.

Probably my Evil Twin made by Mike Grimsley.

a) 3x3x3
b) Roundy
c) Astrolabacus
d) Astrolabacus
e) Nintendo Barrel. Mine has the Nintendo trademark stamped on it, so it's nice to show to other people what Nintendo used to do.

I can juggle. I spend my other free time with my wife and two daughters. I also teach Sunday School and work with the youth group at my church.

I have 15 patent applications pending in the US!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:04 am 

15, Shanghai, China, student

Solving and a bit of building.

A little less than a year. Friend had a cube, had to solve it. :P

Siamese, but don't have the materials to do other stuff... for now.

About 25, it's all stuff still available on the web.

I do any solid color stuff. Avoid picture cubes.

My 5x5, currently, it's the oldest twisty puzzle I still have around.

Tomy Pyraminx.

Solving: 4x4
Appearance: dogic
Feel: 3x3
Complexity: Skewb

Programming, not as much as puzzling. :P

Not really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:11 pm 

25, Canada (Nova Scotia Specifically), Cellular technical trainer, and my e-bay ID is Octavarium1981 (I think, I don't use it much)

Mostly solving and collecting - I'm not interested in some of the more interesting puzzles, just the straight-forward cubes... 2³, 3³, 4³, 5³, and hopefully soon 6+7³

Well, when I was 16/17 (from what I recall), a friend of mine had the rubik's revenge and square 1 - he gave me the square 1 and at the time I wasn't really all that interested in the Revenge (It didn't turn nice lol) but I thought it was neat on how you could change the shapes of the square 1 puzzle. He couldn't ever figure it out, so I told him that I'd come back with it solved in a week, which was my challenge. I refused to use the internet at the time as well (being there weren't many solutions around anyway from what I recall) and I managed to solve it. I couldn't ever do it for speed, but I COULD do it in less than 10 minutes (which at the time was amazing to me at all)

I also got a rubik's cube for my birthday that year, it was either my 17th or 18th birthday. Anyway, I messed with it, but it ended up in a box somewhere.
A few months after, I remember seeing someone do the cube in like... 11 seconds, and someone else blindfolded (saw it on TV) so I thought it'd be AWESOME to do that.
I searched on the internet and saw several speedcubing sites (including Fridrich's site) but when I saw "algorithm" and "Permutation" I was VERY intimidated... I started off with a beginner's solution. I only needed to solve it, and wanted to learn it (not do it) as fast as possible. It was one of my "acheivements" to be able to solve it period.
So, I took about a week, and learned a very very primitive cross-up layer-by-layer method. It was slow, clunky, no finger tricks, but it worked. It meant I could solve the cube in under 5 minutes which was WAY faster than the square 1 that I had at the time.
After being able to solve it a few times, I put the cube down and never touched it again.

Or so I figured.

After moving several times, the threat of getting married to a g/f at the time and several jobs, I became a trainer at my current place of employment. One of the reps that I was helping at the time was messing around with one, and that's where my interest sparked - I remembered how impressive it was to me to be able to solve that damn thing... I picked it up from him, and tried it. Oddly enough, I remembered a few of the algorithmns, and I was able to solve it. Not fast, but I did it - he was impressed.

That night, I went home and decided that I was going to dedicate myself to speedcubing. Enough of this "barely being able to solve it" stuff. I wanted to REALLY be impressive with it.

That was 3 months ago. Since then, I've basically started all over with a totally new method (Fridrich, but it was new to me), and I'm averaging under 45sec, with a best time of 34.xx seconds (I forget offhand what the time was)

That's my story!

I didn't build a puzzle, but I DID build a speedtimer... Then I decided that it sucked and I purchased a stackmat Gen2 timer instead LOL

Well, here's my current collection:

2x2x2 = Rubik's (1)
3x3x3 = Rubik's (3 official, 1 DIY, 2 more DIY in the mail) (2 with textured tiles from cubesmith)
4x4x4 = Rubik's (2 official, 1 is VERY heavily modded to be a speedcube, and works AMAZING, turns better than my best 3x3x3 speedcube) (the nice one has textured tiles from cubesmith)
4x4x4 = EastSheen(1 in the mail, it's stuck in Vancouver right now)
5x5x5 = Rubik's (1, Peice of crap barely turns, which is why I have:)
5x5x5 = Eastsheen (2)(1 has textured tiles from cubesmith)
That's it, I also have a speedstack timer gen2, but that's about it. I have other various things like a few sets of backup tiles and stickers, I have a case to put these all in, also have silcone spray lube, plastic razor to remove stickers, etc.. The bare essentials for basic "prepping" for speed cubes.

Honestly, I don't have much of a fasicination for other non-cube puzzles - I mean, I like puzzles but things like the skube, rubik's clock and others don't really "get the juice flowin" though they definitely look cool as heck.

Meh, I don't have a sentimental fav - If I lost them all tomorrow, I'd be more sad that I have to wait for my next set to show up in the mail LOL

Uhh, well, honestly probably my 4x4x4 speedcube - it's SOOOO smooth, and I DO baby it but when I go rough there's never any popping, etc. It'd probably only get a decent price for that very reason - a lot of work went into making it as nice as it is right now.

Solving = 3x3x3 (because I can do it quickly)
Appearance = 5x5x5 eastsheen when mixed - it looks WICKED intimidating to those who don't cube, and are like "YOU CAN DO THAT THING?!?!?!" and I'm like "NO that's gross, but I CAN solve it ;-)"
Feel = Hands down, my 4x4x4 speedcube. LOVE it's weight, sliding, everything.
Complexity = Still have to say 4x4x4, just because of the parity issues. I know there are ways around it but I'm still pretty new to cubing and I like trying to figure out how to fix it on my own without an alg to help me.
Other reasons = I love them all. Actually I have a personal DISlike for my 2x2x2. I can solve it quick, but it turns like BUTT - this is after taking it apart and making it as nice as possible on the inside. I can see EastSheen is going to get more money from me eventually!

Uhh, I'm a professional studio musician (classical piano, and synthesis/keyboards as well as sound engineering), and general technology stuff. That's about it really - Music/Computers and Cubing. Though I DO like eating LOL

Meh - I'm not really one to toot my own horn. I just do my thing and if people appreciate something that I'm not aware of, then cool. :)

That's about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:03 pm 

15, California, student, N/A

Solving, and anything involved to help analyze it and expand the subject. To have more stuff available to solve more puzzles faster...

I can pin down the exact date: October 25, 2005. Online, I found a paper on some mathematics of the cube, and brought it to school the next day. One of my friends knew how to solve it (CF). Another brought his, then came a Square-1, and so on. I tried to learn Petrus, and have always remained partial to it, but I finally succumbed to F2L.
In January, a group of us attended the competition at the Exploratorium, and it took off. We got more puzzles, learned better methods...
See http://cube.garron.us/. I might also have a history page someday.

I built a functioning 2x2x4 after the Nationals. My mom would never let me turn a 4x4x4 into a rhombic dodecahedron or let me construct a Square-1 mod, though. I do however, assemble a lot of magics with different patterns.

A dozen 3x3x3's, a 4x4x4, a Rubik's 5x5x5, a 5x5x5 Eastsheen, two Eastsheen 2x2x2's, two mini cubes, a 2x2x2 World, an extended 5x3x3, a 4x2x2, two 1x1x1's, a barrel and a sphere cube.
Two Square-1's, a Megaminx, a keychain snake.
A Magic, a Master Magic, Mini Magic, Super Magic, and spare Magic tiles, all in different states of repair.
Then, of course: stickers, lube, string and tiles, etc.

I like most puzzles, but I prefer variety.

Probably my old trusty cube with a broken corner that lasted me the stretch from a minute to 30 seconds per solve.
Either that or my perfect Square-1 with which I won 1st place (it was also a gift).

Probably the custom Master and Super Magics. They could go for $50, from what I've seen.

a)3x3x3
b)Square-1
c)Eastsheen 2x2x2 (and 5x5x5)
d)Square-1
e)Megaminx; it's the puzzle I wanted most before I owned it (except the 6x6x6)

Lots: origami, math, and any combinations thereof.
Music; I play violin and compose an occasional song.
Programming; the logic is so fun.
Track & Field: I jump and hurdle
And so much more, occasionally...

No, anything so would be on my website: http://www.garron.us/

Quick edit: Fixed URL formatting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:17 pm 

Just realised I have never posted up here:

15, Markse-By-The-Sea, Pupil, N/A

Speedsolving

I started February this year, I saw a video of Tyson Mao doing a BLD solve in 1:58 and said to myself, I want to do that, and so and so forth.

Na/

1 ES 2x2
1 Rubik's Keychain
1 Rubik's 3x3
1 Rubik's DIY White 3x3
2 Rubik's 4x4
1 Rubik's 5x5
1 Square - 1
1 20 colour Dogic
1 12 colour Megaminx
1 Skewb
1 Tetraminx
1 Pyraminx
1 (deceased) Rubik's Magic
1 IQ139 Puck

I am only after collected twisty/foldy puzzles and not wooden ones.

My 3x3, this is my first cube and the only one I speedsolve with. It had the right tension for me straight from the box and has been my friend from my 5 minute average to my 25 second average.

My Original Square - 1.

a)3x3x3
b)(scrambled) 5x5
c)3x3/Square - 1
d)Square-1 (I would say the Skewb is harder for me, but I prefer the complexity of the Square - 1 (I hate skewbs))
e)Megaminx, When I first saw one, I thought I would never be able to do it, but then I got one and realised how uncomplex they actually are.

Playing Guitar
Juggling

I have no pain receptors in my ears. (except for biting, that hurts)
I have webbed toes.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:59 am 

I am 14 years old (April 2nd, 1992), live in Los Angeles, am a professional photographer, and my eBay ID is wingedemily (although my name is Ben, it's my mom's account).

I am getting more and more interested in speed solving and building 3x3x3 Rubik's Cubes.

I started 10 days ago (December 7th, 2006).

Not sure if it counts, but am putting together a DIY 3x3x3

I have 4 3x3x3 Rubik's cubes, and a Sodoku cube. 2 of my cubes are going to my friends though. Cost me around $50 for everything, so probably worth $20.

I am loving the 3x3x3's, and I try to avoid anything that is not a cube.

My first Rubik's cube, because I am learning on it and my mom gave it to me.

Not sure.

a) Rubik's 3x3x3
b) Rubik's 3x3x3
c) Rubik's 3x3x3
d) Rubik's 3x3x3
e) Rubik's 3x3x3

I like them because they are quick to solve, easy to bring with me, easy to build, easy to take apart, easy to maintain, you get the idea.

Umm, only bagillions. I am a professional photographer/superbike rider/dirt bike rider/BMX'r/downhill rider/snowboarder/skiier/surfer/rock climber/pilot/knife collector/vegetarian/La Crosse player/HAM radio operator/graphic artist/guitarist/and MUCH MUCH more...

I was once 2nd in state in the 50cc class in motocross, and I have been a vegetarian for 7 years (half my life!) Besides that, not much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:40 pm 

14, Saratoga, California

Mostly solving, with building being a close second.

I've known how to solve a 3x3x3 for quite a while, like 6 or 7 years. I didn't start taking it seriously or timing myself until sometime last year (2005) however.

First, I "built" a bandaged cube, then an extended 3x3x5, and a siamese 3x3x3.

I don't have too many puzzles, 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, skewb, extended 3x3x5, siamese cube, bandaged cube, magic.

Anything that works, and anything else for spare parts.

5x5x5, seeing as I spent well over a year breaking it in.

Probably my extended 3x3x5, although I have no idea how much its actually worth.

5x5x5, its more exciting that a 3x3x3, yet keeps the simple cube shape and basic concept.

I program, mostly Java and a little C++ and C#. I also play the piano.
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:58 am 

1) Age, location, profession, ebay ID

Im 16 years old, I live in england and I'm a student! My ebay ID is jgouly

Speedsolving really!

Around the middle of November 06

Nothing! Don't know if I will ever

8 different cubes, and a twist keychain.

Its all about the cubes for me, or other twisty puzzles that are vaguely similar.

My first Rubik's cube, because it was my first!

None!

a) 3x3x3 & 5x5
b) 4 2x2's fused together
c) 3x3x3 & eastsheen 2x2
d) 5x5
e) 2x2 becasue people think its really easy to slve!

I just dabble in this and that

Last edited by joey on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:50 pm 

36, Bay Area California, Software Engineer, davidalitwin

Mostly collecting, but solving is a large part of it. Non-competitive solving that is, my 3x3x3 time is just under a minute without any kind of speed cube. In fact most turn terribly. A DIY cube from rubiks.com just arrived in the mail today though, so who knows, perhaps I'll try my hand at the WCA competition at the SF Exploratorium this weekend. It's possible I won't embarrass myself too much.
I have built a modified Square-1, but not much else.

I was a great age (10) in 1980 when the cube hit the US market to get drawn in to the puzzle. With my Dad's cube and solution book (Nourse) I spent some time over the summer to learn it and thought, at under two minutes, I must be one of the fastest in the world :) I knew nothing of competitions and 20 second times.
My interest was re-awakened multiple times. The first was a few years later when I found a Megaminx in a toy store, and then many years later in the early 1990s (I believe) when I found a Professor 5x5x5 in a local game store (Games of Berkeley). This led me to contacting Christoph Bandelow (info was the packaging) and ordering more (why did I order only one Christoph's Jewel?). He gave me the contact info of other puzzle sellers (no WWW yet!) and my collection grew a bit.
About that same time I wrote a nxnxn cube simulator for a training project at work and with it solved up to a 10x10x10. Beyond that would just take too much time.
My puzzle collection has traveled from job to job (I keep them in my work office) for over a decade now and my interest in collecting goes in fits and starts. Recently finding twistypuzzles.com has re-awakened my interest, and I confess I've gone on a bit of a spree lately.

Years ago I took apart my Square-1 and cut all the corner pieces in half, then used plastic plate to finish them off. I haven't seen this mod before (I'll try to post it soon) but it isn't overly ambitious. I have two, one finished and one just cut. I also have four Square-1 puzzles in pieces ready to go, but haven't touched them for years.
I'd like to make a half truncated cube (sawing the pieces and using plastic plate to finish them) next, as I really like that.

I believe I have over 250, but a number of duplicates, so my unique puzzles are probably closer to 150 or so. As with others I can't think of parting with anything but duplicates (and not even all of those), but I'm sure the market value would be USD4000k+

It's great to find a site that narrows puzzles to my interests. Almost all of what is on twistypuzzles matches my boundaries. I do tend to shy away from some of the piece together combinatoric puzzles (Rubik's Triamid) although I get plenty of puzzles as gifts that aren't really what I collect for myself. Sequential movement is the key for me.

Unlike many, I don't even know if I have my original 3x3x3. I have a few old ones, but can't distinguish them from one I might have picked up at a thrift store for $0.50. I suppose the Megaminx would be a candidate, as well as the 5x5x5. Both of those relate to re-awakening my interest in puzzles.

I suppose it would be my four color Dino cube, followed by my Christoph's jewel and domino.

a.) An Eastsheen (I assume) 4x4x4 with picture stickers I picked up recently. The movement is amazingly smooth, and solving a high order cube where center piece orientation matters is a better challenge.
b.) My Hungarian Supernova. A dodecahedron is just such a beautiful shape.
c.) The above 4x4x4 and the Skewb.
d.) The rotascope was quite difficult to solve for me. Far more so than my other puzzles. I can currently solve all of my puzzles but the Rubik's shell with both buttons pressed (I have to spend some time to rectify that...)
e.) The rainbow Masterball is nice.

I enjoy Ska music. I juggle.

I remember a time when I was a gymnast. :)
For 5 years I was a PC game programmer, and worked on the Star Wars X-Wing series and Star Trek: Bridge Commander.
I have a wife who has bought a significant portion of my collection as gifts (that is love!) and two young boys who I hope will one day enjoy my collection.

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:37 pm 

---13, Ohio, Student, N/A

---Solving

3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged
back in?
---4 months, haven't been doing it long enough to stop

---N/A

---
(2)3x3x3
(1)4x4x4
(1)Rubik's Twist
(1)Rubik's Magic (Classic)

---I get what i caqn afford, nothing really i'm pretty open minded

---3x3x3 because like so many, it was my first puzzle and got me interested in all of this

---My 4x4x4

A)
---3x3x3

B)
---Rubik's Magic

C)
---Rubik's Twist

D)
---4x4x4

E)
---Rubik's Twist

---Not really

---If i clench either of my fists, all of my knuckles on that fist crack! Whooo!

<b>3x3x3 Best Average: 0:30.9
3x3x3 Best Solve (Unlucky): 0:21.xx
3x3x3 Best Solve (Lucky): 0.20.xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:10 am 

1) 28, PA, Actuary (It’s the math behind insurance)
2) Mainly speed solving the 3x3x3
3) Started about a month ago (Dec ’06) not because of the movie, but because a friend taught me the basic method of solving, then I went online and found the faster methods.
4) No building yet, not sure I have the patience or time for that.
5) (1) 2x2x2, (4) 3x3x3, (1) 4x4x4, (1) 5x5x5…. 4 more 3x3x3’s coming, and 2 megaminx’s
6) Boundaries are probably limited to cost.
7) I guess the one I learned on, which no longer looks anything like the one I learned on.
8+) Nothing really

Hello all I'm a new cuber... Started in about a month ago (Dec’06), not because of the movie, but because a friend taught me how to solve it. So after a month of solving I’m averaging about a minute, with a best time of 40.6. I’m using the Friedrich method. I know the f2l and pll algorithms, and am working on the oll algorithms. If I don’t the the oll algorithim I orientate the edges, then the corners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:48 am 

I'm 18, live in Southern California, and am currently a college student, and my ebay ID is the same as my user name here.

My main interest at the moment is simply solving puzzles. I have no interest (yet) in building or maintaining any large collection. That might (and probably will) change in the future.

I am quite new to cubing. My college roommate taught me the Beginner's Method of how to solve the Rubik's Cube, and my first successful solve (without having to look at algorithms on a piece of paper) happened early December 2006. I have since grown an even greater interest in bigger cubes, like the 4x4x4 I just bought :P

N/A.

Currently, I have:
(4) Rubik's Cubes
(1) Rubik's Revenge

All in all, it would likely come out to around $100.

If I were to start a big collection, I'd likely keep to cubes that I knew I could solve :P

I like the 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube; it's fairly quick and simple to solve it and it doesn't stress me out or force me to think much when I'm bored - something that's very nice when you are waiting for someone and have no idea how long they're going to take. (I absolutely HATE having to walk out the door and leave an unsolved cube on the table. It just drives me nuts!)

My 3x3x3 Hungarian Rubik's Cube probably.

A - Rubik's Cube (3x3x3)
B - Rubik's Revenge (4x4x4)
C - Rubik's Cube (3x3x3)
D - Rubik's Revenge (4x4x4)

Indeed! I enjoy playing tennis and I'm a pretty big fan of just about any sport.

For right now, nothing much to add.

Last edited by andyaycw on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:45 pm 

Well, I guess I should do this, seeing as most other people have.

18, Massachusetts USA, student going for Mechanical Engineering, eBay ID is GarrettDickerson
Originally my main interest was solving, but after being part of these forums, I'm starting to get more and more interested in building.
I've been solving (or attempting to) since March of '06. I wasn't able to solve it fully until July of '06, I didn't really spend much time trying to figure it out. As for building, I hope to build my first twisty puzzle in February, I'll be sure to post all about it seeing as it's something many people would want to see.
I have modded a 3x3x3 to a bandaged cube which I have yet to solve. I have 3 puzzles in mind to build, 2 of which I don't want to say yet, one is a Gigaminx similarly, but not exactly, designed from TBTTyler's
I don't have too extensive of a collection only because I only started solving other cubes than 3x3x3 after Thanksgiving when I got my first 4x4x4. I have 15 puzzles in total. Out of those, there are 9 different types of twisty puzzles. Not worth much, over $100 sure, but that's not a lot.
As of right now, I'm focusing on collecting polyhedron puzzles. Others such as Magic or Snake or anything like that I'm not as interested in.
My first 3x3x3. I got it on a whim, it wasn't anything special, a normal cube, but it was the first. I got some of my best times on it. Once the stickers peeled off, I didn't want to get new ones because it would make it something different, so I colored in the sides with Sharpie and covered the color with scotch tape to keep it from wearing away.
My 5x5x5 would have the most monetary value just because it was the most expensive to begin with.
a) Megaminx by far. b)Megaminx again, something about pentagrams appeals to me hah. c) I love the feel of the 3x3x3. d) Sudokube, it is the most complex out of all of my twisty puzzles because it relies on numbers not colors.
I juggle, a lot. I also play pool and poker with my friends most nights.
There's nothing really interesting about me... I'm a normal kid with a cube.

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:17 pm 

Hello, this is my first post here. I've lurked for a while, but now I've finally joined.

1) Age, location, profession, eBay ID? In my 30s, live in Warren Michigan (USA), I'm an electrical engineer, and my eBay ID is "ato".
2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else? Both collecting and solving.
3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in? I was into the original Rubik when it was hot in the early 80s. Even though I picked up a few other puzzles along the way when they came around (like the Magics and the Square-1) I just haven't been into it like when I was young. That changed last year when I to take 2 month off of work for some surgery on my leg. Since I would be stuck at home with limited mobility for a while, I bought myself a 5x5x5 and fell in love again.
4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects? Have not built any yet, but am considring building a "Square-2".
5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth? I've got about 30 or so puzzles. I doubt they are worth very much as they are all mass-produced (at one time at least) puzzles, nothing custom (yet).
6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid? I can't think of any I would aviod.
7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why? My original early 1980s 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube, because it's my oldest one and the one I had as a child.
8) Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay? Probably my original Rubik's Magic Create the Cube.
9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons. Currently all of the above would apply to my 2 Dogics (I have a 12 and a 20 color), mostly because they are new to me (just got them last week).
10) Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies? I'm big into music (mostly European progressive and power metal) as well as video games and movies.
11) Is there anything else interesting about yourself that you'd like to share? I'm sure we'll find out along the way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:13 pm 

15, scotland, PS2, no ebay

solving

just under a year, i just finished learning the fridrich method about a month and a half ago. my internet and my TV broke and the first thing i looked at when i realised was a rubik's cube.

nothing yet. i saw a thread a few days ago about building an octahedron type thing and it would be nice to build one of those when i can persuade my mum to get the tools i'l need

7 working 3x3, two working 4x4's, a working 5x5 and about 1000000 spare or broken ones. i don't really know how much its worth but i'm not sellin it anyway, i wouldn't make a profit if i did coz of the shipping fees.

i only really collect nxnxn puzzles

can't decide between my first 3x3 and my 5x5

probably the custom built one which i am planning to make some time. the rest are still mass-produced

a)5x5
b)5x5, but it would be a megaminx if i had one
c)white DIY 3x3, or a 5x5 that works propperly
d)5x5
e)5x5, its the best party trick

I fly rc planes whenever the weather is good and i have time. Juggling is fun as well, i got 143 catches with 5 balls yesterday. I also like listening to music, i'm a big fan of metal and i think undistinguishable death metal is hilarious.

hmmm...yes

Last edited by neeeaaaoooww on Thu May 17, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:33 pm 

31, Saratoga Springs, NY, Nuclear Engineer, puzzlemaster42

All of the above, although designing and building are what I like the most.

I got a Rubiks cube for christmas in 1980, but didn't learn how to solve it except occationally I was able to get it done using Patrick Bossert's "You can do the cube".
I collected a few puzzles here and there at garage sales, but that eventually got forgotten in a box in the basement, seemingly forever.
The thing that got me into Cubing again was the boredom of staying at a hotel week after week for a job. I thought about the Rubik's Cube and went out and bought one and looked up a solution online (cheated). This led to me digging up other puzzles from hibernation in the basement and working through solutions on them. this of course led to putting some ideas on paper, and designing my own puzzles.

I have built 4 Magics, a SuperX, and The Helicopter Cube. I have several projects that I am working on and designing right now, but the only one I will mention here is a Face Turning Octahedron. I have always wanted one of those.

Most of the puzzles are regular production puzles, and none of them exceptionally rare. Other than the few custom puzzles, it would be worth a few hundred dollars.

I collect puzzles that have different solving methods or mods that add something to the way the cube is solved. For example the truncated 3x3x3 and 3x3x3 cuboctahedron can be solved the same way as the 3x3x3, but a half truncated cube has corners that don't need orientation, so it is more interesting to solve.

One that I designed and built entirely from my own concept to final design. (this will be edited with a name when the puzzle is announced)

One of the Custom puzzles. I don't know which but the first of each will remain in my collection.

a)3x3x3 - The moves on this puzzle have helped me figure out the solutions to many other puzzles
b)Astrolabacus - Amazing design and movement
c)Skewb - The "click click" makes it very easy to use
d)4x4x4 supercube/Shepherds cube - These puzzles require you to know more about how the solves actually work (and they amaze onlookers; especially the Shepherd's cube
e)SuperX - The first Twisty Puzzle I made, Helicopter Cube - I thought up the concept and designed the entire puzzle.

Classic video games especially interactive fiction (text adventures)
"It is pitch black, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue."

I have a strange compulsion to learn how things work.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next