Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unmade puzzles
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:32 am 
So i missed my chance to make the first master pyriminx, btu there are other things out there. Right now i'm tyhinking of a 3rd order face turning octahedron. But someone will probably beat me to that as well. What other things are there that people would like? I know about higher order cubes but what else is there?

Post subject: My dream...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:37 am 

...is a master megaminx. probably professor is the better word for it...

Post subject: Professor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:48 am 
Professor is a better word because order 4 which we usaly call master is basicly impossible.

Post subject: ???/
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 5:41 am 

Why do you say its impossible? its quite possible...
I even made some sketches. Its very possible for industrial production, but not hand made stuff

Post subject: A bit impossible...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:39 am 

It was very well thought out tyler, but i feel like it would be horrible to turn it. think of the force required to turn a new impossiball, and imagine there were lots more pieces involved which wanted to go in all sorts of directions...

Post subject: Dont own one
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:45 am 

I dont own really any ball puzzles. they freak me out

Post subject: What if...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:16 am 
What if the master megaminx was made the normal megaminx shape, but with an impossible ball type mechanism that the pieces would actually lift up and pass by each other? Would this work? It seems to me that the biggest problem with turning the impossiball is not necessarily the flex and lift system, but the roundness of the pieces, that is the ball shape contributes to the turning problems. (kind of the same deal with the curved pieces of the Rubik's UFO)

Post subject: O, btw
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:43 am 

By the way.
It would be almost a 4x4 mechanism, just different groove patterns

Post subject: Ball mech
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:23 am 

What is the mechanism for the impossiball?
I was thinking more along the lines of a 4x4 type mechanism. Instead of 3 grooves, 6 that meet in 12 places. the 4x4 has 3 grooves that meet in 6 places.

Post subject: Impossiball mech
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:58 am 
It has some kind of funky round plastic disks that can bend so that in order to move, the pieces actually lift up but stay "in groove" as they turn. The problem with the order 4 megaminx is the center pieces aren't lined up with the cuts, right? If they were able to raise up a bit, it would cause them to ease by each other while keeping the symmetrical beauty of your drawing.

Post subject: what do you mean
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:40 am 

what do you mean by "lined up with the cuts"

Post subject: lined up with cuts
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 10:31 am 
for example, on just about every other puzzle, it is very obvious because the edges of the pieces are parallel (and up against) the cuts on which the puzzle turns. On the impossiball, the edges of the triangluar shaped pieces are not parallel with the way it turns. Therefore they would not be able to turn unless the pieces lifted slightly away from the puzzle in order for the edges of the pieces that were moving to bypass the other edges of adjacent pieces. That would be the same problem with the master megaminx. Are not there now centers that interchange and see how the cuts of the centers are not perfectly parallel with the cuts of the puzzle? An impossiball type mechanism would solve this, but unfortunately would be almost impossible to make at home. This proves that the master megaminx is possible in theory but not practical to make at our level.

Post subject: since when arent they paralell...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:55 pm 

with the turning plane?

Post subject: yes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:40 am 
I'm going on the diagram that you drew for us a while back. The sketch to of the master megaminx

Post subject: Tyler, Show Us the Picture Again
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:27 am 

Post subject: IF I CAN FIND IT!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:27 am 

otherwise ill try to make a new one tonight/tomorrow

Post subject: made a new one... see
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:53 am 

Anyway,
as i was saying. The pieces will not need to lift. it is a mangled 4x4 mechanism. From a previous post (about 2 levels up)

"for example, on just about every other puzzle, it is very obvious because the edges of the pieces are parallel (and up against) the cuts on which the puzzle turns. "
This doesnt make sense. The pieces have to be parallell with the plane they turn on or they wouldnt turn. Just because its a bend in the flat drawing, doesnst mean it would turn funny. If i can figure out how to do an isometric (3d) dodecahedron i will do it. Making a pentagon was hard enoguh...