Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:23 am 

I think the whole point of being a 6x6x6 is that youve posted lots of useful/helpful posts, its like graduating without having to do all the hard work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:36 am 

Actually, a combination of posts and time could be used. I think the ranking should go away altogether. This forum is small enough so that you can build your reputation by simply being a good contributor and people will recognize you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:39 am 

[EDIT] pointless post deleted

Last edited by Georges on Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:41 am 

There has been lots of topics and posts lately that I would describe as "too obvious or simply pointless". There was also a tendency to open new topics or nearly identical subjects that just had been discussed. My feeling is that those posts are made mostly by new members who are young people. Even though I don't like that myself, I would suggest to wait on it. I am sure it will all settle down eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:43 am 

blogan wrote:
Actually, a combination of posts and time could be used. I think the ranking should go away altogether. This forum is small enough so that you can build your reputation by simply being a good contributor and people will recognize you.

Agreed. I know whose opinions and contributions I value because they're active and post in intelligent threads. I also know who I will not pay much attention to because they're busy keeping ridiculous and off-topic threads alive. My opinion has nothing to do with rank, although seeing "1x1x1" next to a very active member's name does help me realize they just showed up and are talking their heads off. It's not entirely meaningless, but its prominence outweighs its value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:14 am 

blogan wrote:

Stefan's new account being a prime example?

R.E.T. wrote:
It seems like there's only a handful of people that are averaging over three posts a day. I wonder if they will drop to .5 like most people after they finally get the 6x6x6 ranking.

This place is like my second home, I check it several times per day.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:06 pm 

Pembo wrote:
This place is like my second home, I check it several times per day.

Same here.

I find a lot of intelligent people here. I hardly ever look at the rankings anyways. You don't have to post a bunch in order to have respect.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:02 pm 

JIMBOB wrote:
Your right Joey, Maybe you should move up to a 2x2x2 after a month of membership, then a 3x3x3 after 3 months, and a 4x4x4 after 6 months and a 5x5x5 after a year and a 6x6x6 after 2 years. That way posting would have nothing to do with it. I bet the posting would change, and people would be trying to figure out how to change there membership date.

I strongly disagree. The whole point of having a 6x6x6 forum rating means that you contributed an amazing amount of usefull posts. If what your proposing was implamented, then all the spam accounts who nobody even logs into any more would all become 6x6x6. As it is right now there are only a handfull of 6x6x6s, and they all worked for the rank they got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:44 pm 

I agree with Scott Bedard disagreeing because eventually everybody would
be a 6x6 even if they had no poasts.

My favorite animal is the Pfargtl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:05 am 

Postin' ranks are always fun and innocent. I say keep 'em how they are.

As long as no one is assuming authority over others because of their E-rank.

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 am 

We have had that argument a few times in our Spanish forum.

It's true that this kind of forums are more similar to chats when email-based ones are not. That makes people posting more usually and of course, many times without being necessary. I include myself here, yes. But I think that this one should be normal, at least, while talking about the same subject.

However, other ones prefer a forum based in long posts.

Anyway, I'm of course against ranges on forums, cause as you have said, it encourages people to type and type and type.

I think that a kind of poll should be helpful to know what type of forum people want, and of course, either Sandy or Sausage needs to let us know their opinion.

Last but not least I do want to apologize if I have ever bother any of you with my posts, it was not my intention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:59 pm 

I personally like the ranking system the way it is. I can get on and look at somebody's rank, and tell if they are a reliable/helpful person to ask questions.

Besides that, without the ranking, nobody would look at me as the high ranked noob who talks too much :D

It is the people who post for no reason other than just to get their rank up that we need to do something about. I have posted a lot in just a few months, but I would never post just to see my rank go up. All the same, it makes me feel special to know that I might be looked at as one of those reliable people :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:55 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Besides that, without the ranking, nobody would look at me as the high ranked noob who talks too much :D

For an argument, that's a good one, even a clincher I'd think :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:03 pm 

Georges wrote:
Speedy McFastfast wrote:

For an argument, that's a good one, even a clincher I'd think :lol: :wink:

Uh... I think that was a compliment.... What is it supposed to mean by a clincher?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:08 am 

I used clincher in the meaning of conclusive/decisive reason/criterion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:31 am 

Yay! So what was a compliment :P

Post subject: Re: Speed posting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:38 am 

JIMBOB wrote:
I think we need a speed posting section for the ones that want to be a 6x6x6 so bad they post stupid junk, or maybe they can just be promoted without the wasted posts.

We could add more and more topics in the "Off Topic" section to give everyone a chance to run riot or to work off.
Simply using Subject Titles like "a", "b", "c", a.s.o. would surely be welcomed by many wannabe 6x6x6's

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:42 am 

Georges wrote:
JIMBOB wrote:
I think we need a speed posting section for the ones that want to be a 6x6x6 so bad they post stupid junk, or maybe they can just be promoted without the wasted posts.

We could add more and more topics in the "Off Topic" section to give everyone a chance to run riot or to work off.
Simply using Subject Titles like "a", "b", "c", a.s.o. would surely be welcomed by many wannabe 6x6x6's

This one is pretty good I think: viewtopic.php?t=5196
What on Earth has happened to JIMBOB after he started this topic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:36 am 

Location: Enschede, The Netherlands, First room on the left on the 2nd floor.
We play the True/False game a lot on http://rubiks.has.it/
I'm not sure what happened to Jimbob seems like he wants to have that 6x6 very soon. Too bad the status things are not working that good, it should show your average value of your posts instead of how much spam you can produce..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:08 am 

Erik wrote:
We play the True/False game a lot on http://rubiks.has.it/

I think it's funny that a spammer starts that topic on a bunch of forums and then something like that happens... 836/6570 posts on the rubikshasit forum are in that single off-topic topic! I wasn't being 100% serious when I said that that topic is a good place for speedposting, I find it somewhat pointless.

I wish all post in Off Topic were ignored in the post count. No, wait, then there would be even more non-puzzle-related discussion in the main forums...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:56 pm 

Johannes has a point there... It seems that either way, we are going to get screwed over by spam posts :(

The best thing to do would be to ignore them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:51 pm 

I see Jimbob started this topic the same month he became a member. He then disappears and now is speedposting again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:03 pm 

JIMBOB wrote:

At least he clearly admits he just wants to obtain a 6x6x6 status. Although, I don't think there is any difference in anything whatsoever from being a 6x6x6 or a 1x1x1. People in here seem to not care about the rank so much as what the person is posting. Unlike most other forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:31 pm 

Oh well, in the end he will be a 6x6 that nobody really cares about, so what does it matter to us? He should slow down once he hits 6x6, and if he doesn't, we can all just continue to ignore him! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:41 am 

I think S.Rubiks hit the nail on the head with the fact that other forums take the post count serious, but here it does not mean much. This is the only forum I have ever posted on, and I have been a member since 2005. I posted for the first time the other day and I got slammed for it by Kastalarazio. Is he always mean to people with low post count, and people with hight post per day counts? If post count don't mean anything then why am I getting slammed? I just stated some growing up needs to be done. Am I wrong? Maybe after I post some more Kastalarazio will like me, or maybe hate me for posting. Who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:59 am 

Terry wrote:
I think S.Rubiks hit the nail on the head with the fact that other forums take the post count serious, but here it does not mean much. This is the only forum I have ever posted on, and I have been a member since 2005. I posted for the first time the other day and I got slammed for it by Kastalarazio. Is he always mean to people with low post count, and people with hight post per day counts? If post count don't mean anything then why am I getting slammed? I just stated some growing up needs to be done. Am I wrong? Maybe after I post some more Kastalarazio will like me, or maybe hate me for posting. Who knows.

Why did I slam you? I placed a wink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(please read again here at my UNEDITED post, and explain how I "slammed" you...)

And for God's sake, that reply ("slammming") was only trying to defend myself where you were trying to call me to "grow up".

By the way, thank you for spelling my nickname correctly. :roll:
(maybe you are trying to make me angry? I don't know...)

I think you took too personally. I do not hate anyone, that is a word that you have used, not me.

I just wish all can post in the correct forums. If you knew me better, you would have never posted this. I am sick and tired of this, so I won't reply to subjects like this any more, I will leave it up to you.

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:55 am 

I am going to have to back Pantazis on this one. He is one of the more level headed people on this forum, and it didn't seem very much like a slam to me.

Either way, welcome to the forum Terry!

Oh, and he doesn't hate people with hight post counts, seeing as he doesn't hate me, Pembo, or any of the other 6x6ers on here :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:16 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
I am going to have to back Pantazis on this one. He is one of the more level headed people on this forum, and it didn't seem very much like a slam to me.

Either way, welcome to the forum Terry!

Oh, and he doesn't hate people with hight post counts, seeing as he doesn't hate me, Pembo, or any of the other 6x6ers on here :wink:

Thanks for the thumbs up Speedy.

If Terry had made a first post without any funny meaning, I would be one of the first to welcome him (the same way I have done numerous times).

I prefer everyone to be happy. So let's start again...

Welcome to the forum Terry! 8-)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:10 pm 

Same here! Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you will have a good experience here, I know I have!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:59 am 

Hi :)

I dont care for rating at all :(

I only care for the value of the contribution contained in singular posts.

Like mentioned before, i know who i read with interest and those i read with less interest. For the latter category they're quickly read (and forgotten) (for the most part) anyway :wink:

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:08 pm 

JIMBOB wrote:
What was that you said? lol

:?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 pm 

JIMBOB wrote:
What was that you said? lol

And once again we go back to the topic of short posts that don't make any sense. These are the kinds of posts Pantazis would read over so quickly that he doesn't read them at all :)

In case his post was that hard to understand, some people's posts are fun to read. They contribute a lot of good info. Then there are the other people who's posts he just tends to skim over rather than read fully, considering they aren't likely to contain good information (hopefully I don't fall into the second category...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:45 pm 

I see I was tired when reading the "what was that you said post" as I only now understand its meaning related to what perfredlund wrote.
Oh well, I understand rather quickly if you explain for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:08 pm 

Oops, that was Per's post! For some reason I get him and Kastelawhatever mixed up. Do they have similar avatars?

Sorry Per! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:12 pm 

They both have blue and white cubes, but Pantazi has 4, Per has one.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:19 pm 

Pembo wrote:

See? No wonder I got so confused!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:21 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Pembo wrote:

:lol:

Pantazis (aka Kastelawhatever)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:23 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Pembo wrote:

:lol:

Hey, it's not my fault you had to go and make your name so freakin' hard to remember! That's why I have something as simple as Speedy!

I think it's just easier to call you Pantazis, as I am assuming that that is your actual name... Hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name!

Mr. Pantazis? LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:51 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Hey, it's not my fault you had to go and make your name so freakin' hard to remember! That's why I have something as simple as Speedy!

I think it's just easier to call you Pantazis, as I am assuming that that is your actual name... Hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name!

Mr. Pantazis? LOL

yeap, it's a deal!

My real name is indeed Pantazis, which means "for ever live". So every time you call me by that, you are wishing me to live for ever! :)

I am sure I can live (forever) with that! LOL

:P

Pantazis

PS Regarding my nickname, Kastellorizo is the name of a remote Greek island with only 150 people...! It is where I originally come from! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:10 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Speedy McFastfast wrote:

Mr. Pantazis? LOL

yeap, it's a deal!

My real name is indeed Pantazis, which means "for ever live". So every time you call me by that, you are wishing me to live for ever! :)

I am sure I can live (forever) with that! LOL

:P

Pantazis

PS Regarding my nickname, Kastellorizo is the name of a remote Greek island with only 150 people...! It is where I originally come from! ;)

Ok, I sure am glad we got that cleared up... But if people call you Kastellorizo, they would be calling you an island... FATTY!

Just messing with you! I have just gotten home from hanging with my friends, so fat jokes are on my mind right now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:28 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:

To add further insult, in my head, I think of your name as Kasterillo, but I pronounce it like you would pronounce a Spanish name, so it's "Cas-ter-ree-yo" in my head.

Wave files would be handy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:32 pm 

blogan wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

To add further insult, in my head, I think of your name as Kasterillo, but I pronounce it like you would pronounce a Spanish name, so it's "Cas-ter-ree-yo" in my head.

Wave files would be handy :)

I think I am just going to start calling him KP, it would make everything so much easier to remember.

Mr. KP anyone? Lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:58 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:

I think I am just going to start calling him KP, it would make everything so much easier to remember.

Mr. KP anyone? Lol.

Now that's the abbreviation of the Communist Party in Luxembourg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:05 pm 

Ooooooh Myyyyyy God!

I AM A COMMUNIST!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Pantazis

PS To everyone: Just call me Pantazis or Panda (like my nephews and niece do) :P
When I was in Italy, some lady insisted calling me "Fantasia", while here in KangarooLand a Slav friend used to call me Fanta-Juice... :roll: