Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scary 2x2x2 Square 1 hybrid idea...
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 2:29 am 
Imagine this--take a Square 1 and replace the 2 central pieces with a compact 2x2x2 cube mechanism. The 2 main flanges are now split up into 8 quadrants rather than 4 halves, each section associated with its own octant of the inner 2x2x2 mechanism.

Basically, this Square 1 variant now admits 90 degree rotations in its central pieces, not just 180 degree rotations. Now just getting 4 octants to line up for outer face rotation is a puzzle in itself!

Post subject: A good name for this would be...
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 8:26 am 
"Square 1's Revenge"

Whereas the original Square 1 had 3 layers like the original Rubik's Cube, this beast would have 4 layers like Rubik's Revenge.

In keeping with this theme, it's tempting to split the top and bottom layers into 12 slices rather than the original 8 slices. However, the original slicing is very aesthetic as it is.

Post subject: number of slices on Square-1
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:53 pm 

Actually, I have more problems with the square-1 puzzle because it has only 8 slices (4 large pieces and 4 small pieces) on the top and bottom layers. If you changed the number to 12 slices (all small pieces like the dodecagonal prism transformation) on the top and bottom layers, it actually becomes easier for me to solve with my method. I use essentially the same method on the Square-1 that I use on the Masterball and Rubik's UFO/cheese, except that the two different size slices really screw me up on the Square-1 which makes it a more challenging puzzle.

Doug.

Post subject: Well, what I was thinking was...
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 10:53 pm 
I was thinking that the 12 slices would be irregularly sized, like the original Square 1. In other words, they'd be based on, say, 16 equal slices, but with the corner pieces fused to result in 12.

Or, to be even stranger, it could be based on 24 equal slices, with corners the fusion of two slices each, and edge pieces which were the fusion of one or three slices.

But none of these possibilities match the aesthetics of the original Square 1's 8 slices. The 8 slices have the nice feature that they always match up edge-to-edge.

Still, it may be possible to have 8 slices with different angle combinations. Instead of 30-60, a 22.5-67.5 combination could work. In this case, the corner pieces are slightly bigger and the edge pieces are slightly smaller.