Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle Magic (TwistyPuzzles.com theme) and Sports Magic...!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:10 am 

Just presenting two simple 4-tile magics which have some interesting feature... they are always solved!!!
More specifically, it is well known that 4-tile magics have a total of 8 positions.
So what I did here, was to ensure that one of the four corners of the front side or one of the four corners of the back side (eight corner choices in total, which is equal to the different states) will always be solved. Therefore, the puzzle is always solved!!!
(Plus, either the front side is solved or the back side, as I made sure that there are no overlapping solutions LOL).

Puzzle Magic
--------------

Firstly, here is the Puzzle Magic. In the recent past, Adam (PuzzleMaster42) had ideas to do 8-tile or 12-tile TwistyPuzzles.com themed magics, but his time was limited and allowed me to take over. I decided to do a simple 4-tile magic which is much easier to create and pass to anyone who is interested. Most importantly, I hope my theme design will not disappoint. :)

Puzzles presented in the corners of each tile are: Megaminx, Rubik's Clock, Magic Domino, Astrolabacus (front side), and Impossiball, Skewb, Rainbow Puck, Dogic (back side).
Puzzles presented in the centres of each tile are: 3x3x3 Cube, 5x5x5 Cube, Rubik's Magic, Magic Octahedron (front side), Skewb Ultimate, Rubik's Shells, Master Ball, Rubik's Rings (back side).

I made two of them, one uses yellow and green as background colors, and the other uses red and blue.

It is easy to see here that the one on the left has a Rainbow Puck solution in the middle, and the other on the right has a Rubik's Clock solution.

Here, the Rainbow Puck and the Rubik's Clock are not solved, but...

...if we turn over the puzzles, the other sides *will* be solved! :)

Sports Magic
--------------

Same idea as the Puzzle Magic, i.e. each position of the magic has exactly one solution (in this case a sports ball formed properly in only one of the sides).

Sports represented in the corners of each tile are: Baseball, Cricket, Bowling, Golf (front side), and European Football, Volleyball, Basketball, Tennis (back side).
Sports represented in the centres of each tile are: Hockey, Badminton, American/Australian Football, Rugby (front side), and Waterpolo, Handball, Table Tennis, Billiard (back side).

ImageImage
Here we can see that if all the pieces of the ball are in the centre, that does not guarantee it will be solved. (the magic on the left shows the baseball solved, while the baseball on the magic on the right is not solved).

ImageImage
Basketball solved state (on the left) and European Football solved state (on the right).

Finally, a cricket ball solved state. :)

If there is interest in making such puzzles for many people, I could do it, because making 4-tile magics is faster, requires only 4 tiles per go, and most importantly, the stringing procedure is less risky to potential horrific mistakes! ;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:10 am 

How much one of the Puzzle Magics cost? I might be interested.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:52 pm 

xcool wrote:
How much one of the Puzzle Magics cost? I might be interested.

I was thinking of $10 each (without postage) which is as low as it can get. This is only for the twisty puzzles forum members as a special offer. The sportsmagic will be $15 (without postage).

To go on with this though, I will need to have a single request (by each different person!) to reach a total of at least 20 magics. Because doing one individually at different times will take too much time.

Including yours, so far I have four people interested in one. Sixteen to go LOL

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:18 pm 

I believe cubesmith was selling custom magics similar to the twistypuzzles one durring World Cube 2005. Anyways, looks great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:47 pm 

Scott Bedard wrote:
I believe cubesmith was selling custom magics similar to the twistypuzzles one durring World Cube 2005.

Wow... does anyone have any information (or photos) regarding this? :)

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:32 pm 

I'll take 1 of the magic puzzle.

15 to go

btw IMHO I was thinking instead of the twistypuzzles.com puck or Enigma doesn't get build we could always do a 2x2 magic(Yes I know it'll be to easy to solve but its better then nothing) if were that desperate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:48 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
I was thinking instead of the twistypuzzles.com puck or Enigma doesn't get build we could always do a 2x2 magic(Yes I know it'll be to easy to solve but its better then nothing) if were that desperate.

Darren, This is such a fantastic idea! It's also much easier to achieve - we could put this together ourselves as a "some assembly required" product. In other words, we get the designs for the tiles printed and cut, buy the tiles and strings en-masse, and make an instruction sheet to go with it with instructions for stringing. The difficult part of the puzzle would probably be getting it assembled in the first place, but then the Enigma is not a difficult puzzle either.

Another interesting thought about doing it ourselves - we could probably make the puzzles numbered, which usually makes limited-run items like this more collectible.

This should probably have its own topic, so that this one doesn't get hijacked. :wink:

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:50 pm 

Kastellorizo, this is a really great idea, and fabulously executed as always.

Keep up the good work!

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:57 pm 

Ben Hendry wrote:
Darren Grewe wrote:
I was thinking instead of the twistypuzzles.com puck or Enigma doesn't get build we could always do a 2x2 magic(Yes I know it'll be to easy to solve but its better then nothing) if were that desperate.

Darren, This is such a fantastic idea! It's also much easier to achieve - we could put this together ourselves as a "some assembly required" product. In other words, we get the designs for the tiles printed and cut, buy the tiles and strings en-masse, and make an instruction sheet to go with it with instructions for stringing. The difficult part of the puzzle would probably be getting it assembled in the first place, but then the Enigma is not a difficult puzzle either.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Du'h!!! I'm glad you like my idea alot now I hope it catches on.

Ben Hendry wrote:
Another interesting thought about doing it ourselves - we could probably make the puzzles numbered, which usually makes limited-run items like this more collectible.

That I like. Does that mean we our selves have 2 put them together. I have never put 1 together and I don't think I can :? .

Ben Hendry wrote:
This should probably have its own topic, so that this one doesn't get hijacked. :wink:

Sorry for hijacking your thread Kastellorizo. I really hate it when people do that. My bad.

Ben Hendry wrote:
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:10 am 

Actually, I love having my threads hijacked LOL

Regarding building the magic by yourself, that could also be a solution if someone already has tiles and wants to construct them.

I attach here an image file that contains not just one, but three template themes to be used. Remember, you must place each template in a correct way so that each position coincides with a solution. My offer always stands for those who want me to do it for them (the price is extremely low anyway and I am doing this only for forum members!), as long as we get 20 or more magics in total. :)

To anyone who is not confident in building magics: You should try! Give it a go and then you will realise how natural the stringing can be. And a 4-tile magic is the best way to do this!!! ;)

Pantazis

Attachments:
File comment: TwistyPuzzles.com theme template for 4-tile magics
magic_twisty_forum_template.jpg
magic_twisty_forum_template.jpg [ 744.26 KiB | Viewed 1631 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:19 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
Actually, I love having my threads hijacked LOL

I attach here an image file that contains not just one, but three template themes to be used. Remember, you must place each template in a correct way so that each position coincides with a solution. My offer always stands for those who want me to do it for them (the price is extremely low anyway and I am doing this only for forum members!), as long as we get 20 or more magics in total. :)

Pantazis

I was thinking that we could use the background from the puck or the Enigma but I like your idea pictures a lot better because they have more color and it looks better.

BTW you didn't have to change the topic title but thanks anyway. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:00 am 

Darren Grewe wrote:
I was thinking that we could use the background from the puck or the Enigma but I like your idea pictures a lot better because they have more color and it looks better.

Yeap! I did put a lot of work in the design, and in the first two themes, I tried to make the colors as "glowing" and colorful as possible. It definitely attracts my nephew's attention LOL :P

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:39 pm 

This puzzle magic is really a nice idea!
I'd take one :D

Cheers - Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:48 pm 

Considering it took me way too long to make a 3 tiled magic without any inserts, it would certainly be worth the $10 plus shipping to have one professionally made. So count me for one.
Also, perhaps it would be more economical to ship all of the U.S. bound ones to one person who could then distribute. I'm not positive it makes sense, but it probably worth exploring.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:21 am 

darryl wrote:
Also, perhaps it would be more economical to ship all of the U.S. bound ones to one person who could then distribute. I'm not positive it makes sense, but it probably worth exploring.
-d

Trust me, this makes a *lot* of sense, and I was about to suggest it as well.

Alternatively, if anyone in the US could build them there, that would also be nice. But the builder must remember to place the paper tiles into the correct positions so that each state will correspond to only one solution! (I can help if needed).

Pantazis