Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Adam Zamora's 4x4x4 Hexagonal Dipyramid
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:34 pm 

I wanted to finish this by Saturday so i could reviel it at the San Diego Comp buti got caught up with organizing the comp. I finished it this evening. its not a very hard build but time comsuming. i want to do it on a 3x3x3 as well but decided that the 4x4x4 is harder and i want an easy build for my next build. Here are some pics

Attachments:
Hexagonal Dipyramid 001 500.jpg
Hexagonal Dipyramid 001 500.jpg [ 44.73 KiB | Viewed 5962 times ]
Hexagonal Dipyramid 002.jpg
Hexagonal Dipyramid 002.jpg [ 44.8 KiB | Viewed 5949 times ]
Hexagonal Dipyramid 003.jpg
Hexagonal Dipyramid 003.jpg [ 45.41 KiB | Viewed 5947 times ]
Hexagonal Dipyramid 004.jpg
Hexagonal Dipyramid 004.jpg [ 46.15 KiB | Viewed 5946 times ]
Hexagonal Dipyramid 005.jpg
Hexagonal Dipyramid 005.jpg [ 51.8 KiB | Viewed 5942 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:43 pm 

very beautiful. very deceiving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:44 pm 

Not a very hard built you say? I was reading the topic name and I thought
No, It couldn't be... and it is
That's an awesome little thing. hats off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:55 pm 

Hats off! Adam, I already told you how much I love this puzzle, I just think everyone should know how incredible it is.

Quinn

P.S. - Everyone keep an eye out for my first serious puzzle build. It has never been done before; I hope you all will like it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:59 pm 

Adam,
This is brilliant!
So inventive! I had to twist my head sideways just to workout how you built it!
Great puzzle. I wish someone was still updating the database, this puzzle should've definitely been there!
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:32 pm 

Outstanding! Bravo!
I love the simplicity of it. Nicely executed, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:57 pm 

Man that is awesome. Thinking outside of the box. That do I like. Could we see picture of it mixed and layers turned 45 dagree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:20 pm 

Wow! very cool Adam!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:25 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
Man that is awesome. Thinking outside of the box. That do I like. Could we see picture of it mixed and layers turned 45 dagree?

Adam doesn't like to have his shape variants scrambled. They're a pain in the butt to solve again. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:39 pm 

Thanks for all of the wonderful compliments. The more compliments i get the more i want to build. I love building things that people have never done before, this is one of them. and there are many more to come.

Jin is correct, i dont like solving my own creations, THEY ARE HARD! I do however mix them at least one in their life and solve them, which means that i will be posting pictures of this mixed and 45 degree turns as well. I was kind of bugged when at the comp last saturday someone messed up my 4x4x4 octahedron, i still have 4 pieces out of place and i dont know how to solve it very well due to it being a supercube.

Carter took the words out of my mouth. SIMPLICITY! I used only 6 colors on this even though i could of used 12. I thought about it and wanted something easy to look at with a little bit of difficulty to solve and i figured out that making it 6 colors would do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:49 pm 

I know how you feel Adam. I hate to play with a puzzle that I am not sure I can solve. Thankfully, Jaaps site has helped me with several. However, many unique creations make me nervous, such as Tony's incredible designs that he has offered for sale. For me, the colors and shapes play tricks on my eyes compared to a plain old simple cube shaped puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:05 pm 

Quote:
the colors and shapes play tricks on my eyes compared to a plain old simple cube shaped puzzle.

My 4x4x4 X-Cube was that way. its hard to see. I wanted to make this one not so tough as the x-cube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:21 am 

Hello Adam,

It is a beautiful design and very nicely made.
Congratulations.
Can you tell us a bit more om how exactly you made it, with what kind of tools, how long it took you to make it, what the main difficulties were in making it etc.

Thank you,

Geert Hellings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:00 am 

Thanks Geert. I will answer some question for you.

this puzzle came to mine one day about a month ago when i was drawing on some isometric dot paper. it was hard to see but i knew i had something different once i finished the drawing. that same day i went home and took out a new 4x4x4 and made the cuts on the stickers and at that moment i knew that it would work.

from there i went to my grinder and made the initial cuts into the pieces. after that was done i filled the pieces with magic sculpt. after 3 layers of sanding (150, 230 and 600 grit) i was able to sticker it. it took me about a month of on and off working on it. it was wierd because i was in the middle of organizing a rubiks cube competition and doing this at the same time and the competition was more inportant than this so this had to wait.

i hope this helps answer some questions for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:57 am 

JIMBOB
Quote:
Now this is a really nice creation. I only think of one thing, and that's why not have cubesmith make you some logo stickers unless you have a way to make you own. It just don't seem like a rubik's logo should be on this puzzle that deserves it's own logo.

I know Chris (cubesmith) and have worked with him. i even made him a half truncated cube. He has made me Adam's Cube stickers as seen here

viewtopic.php?t=4555

viewable in 1st 3rd and 5th picture. I think you have to get 25 of each custom writing, due to the way it is made. but i will ask him if he can make some custom stickers for me. thanks for the idea!

i like to display the origional logo as well because without the origional puzzle this would all not be possible, and it shows that it was made with a rubiks brand and not a Eastsheen brand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:54 pm 

Hello All,

As I had purchased this puzzle as well as the 4x4x4 Octahedron, I'd figured Adam would like another post regarding my thoughts.

I'd figured this might be a bit easier, as I finally solved the 4x4x4 Octahedron. Both are super cubes where orientation for each piece is crucial.

You'd think you would solve it the same way. But I guess due to the different shapes, each puzzle has it's own unique problem.

So for the 4x4x4 Octahedron, I ran into the usual EDGE parity issue. However, I didn't run into this problem on the Dipyramid. The problem I did run into was the Orientation of the centers. They all looked correct, and you'd figure you can just orientate it when the puzzle is solved - like a 3x3x3 picture cube.

However, this was not the case. Solving a picture cube, you have two different situations. Two centers that need to rotate 90 degrees, or One center that needs to rotate 180 degrees. I got to a situation where only ONE center needed to rotate 90 degrees.

That got me really frustrated. But in the end, I believe that the centers had to be re-positioned, even though it looked perfect. I don't know if that's the real solution to that problem, but I did get it solved finally.

Total time is a lot less than what it took me to solve the Octahedron, but WOW I ran into a totally different and new problem.

Also note - I do a corners first for the bottom layer. Orientating the corners were very hard at first as it's only one color - except for one corner, two for the whole puzzle. You really don't know the way it's supposed to point unless you do trial and error (if you haven't already memorized what it supposed to look like).

I hope I didn't cofuse anyone. It's hard to grasp what the pieces are like unless it's in your hands.

I had alot of fun with this puzzle though.

Great work again Adam.