Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fisher cube project finished
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:52 am 

Finally finished all the pieces for the fisher cube. I started this one before the octahedron. It's taken a few weeks to handcraft a custom edge and centre, make molds and cast all the parts.

This was my attempt to create the "perfect" fisher cube. However, slight imperfections did creep in. An artist is never happy though.

The stickers are a thick, slightly reflective vinyl. Did you ever actually see a mixed fisher cube?

Please excuse the bad captures and colours:

[img]1020086695.JPG.htm]
Solved

[img]1020086714.JPG.htm]
Castle shape

[img]1020086726.JPG.htm]

[img]1020086741.JPG.htm]

[img]1020086753.JPG.htm]

Next stop... the Rhombic docecahedron 3x3x3...

Post subject: Which is more intresting?
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 2:10 am 
Which do you all think is more intresting mods that maintain their shape, like the 3x3x3 rombic dodecahedron, or puzzles like this that don't?

Post subject: Re: Which is more intresting?
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 4:52 am 

Allow me to split a hair.

Very few puzzles (none, in fact, if you want to split the hair the whole way) retain their shape as you play with them. The Rubik's Cube, for example takes on some pretty strange shapes between what we call "moves".

So, what do you call a "move" on a Fisher Cube? Seems to me you can mix it up pretty well, then resolve it again while making "moves" (or combinations of moves) that always start from and result in a cube shape.

Whatever. I do get your point, though. I enjoy both pretty much equally for their different qualities. For playing around with, I prefer those that don't change their shape. For collecting, the others seem to be more attractive because of their relative rarity.

Sandy

Post subject: Fisher cube shapes
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 6:52 am 

Does anybody know how many shapes and combinations there are for the Fisher cube at all? Now try making 1 with a Octagon in the center. LOL That I would definitely love to have to.

Post subject: Re: Fisher cube project finished
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 2:29 pm 

Wayne,

Did you use the corner pieces from an Octagon or remold the whole thing? If the latter, is there any reason (other than anal retentivness) for NOT using the pre-fab Octagon pieces?

Sandy

Post subject: Looks fantastic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 5:18 pm 

And thanks for mixing it up. Its never quite the same when you only see things in pristene condition...

Definitely do the rhombic dod. 3x3x3. i reckon they would be the best...

Post subject: Domino
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 4:52 am 

If you mess up a fischer cube without changing its shape (except between 'moves') solving it along the same lines would be equivalent to solving a domino (well almost). all that would need to be done would be to solve the middle layer, but if it was just messed up with half turns, it is quite easy to fix it up using half turns. the same can be said for the 5x3x3.

Post subject: Prefab
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:38 am 

You're right there, it would be anal to make new corners for the sake of it. I used the oddz-on spider as the core, recast a few copies of the wonderful puzzler octagon corner, and cast a copy of both a custom made edge and centre.

I made the centre first using milliput and spent literally days (and here I was being anal) fine tuning the sanding to make sure that the center was absolutely perfect (or as best as I could see). Once I cast it up, I got the plastic final of the centre, sanded off the base and stuck it to the side of a regular cube edge.

Then I added a layer of milliput around it to fill the cracks and make perfect. Then made a mold. A lot of work. I'd probably do things a little differently next time.

Actually the octahrdon piece does need to be altered as the face of it does need to be fattened slightly as it slightly (but only slighty) receeds into the cube.

Post subject: Prefab pieces
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:38 am 

I tried doing the exact same thing.

What I found was that the Octagonal prism pieces are just a hair smaller than the Oddzon pieces. Not too big of a deal as the mismatch slack is easily taken up by the spring loaded axes. Personally though I think I'd prefer making a mold out of an Oddzon piece if I had vast hours to spend shaping, sculpting, sanding, molding, and casting.

Alas, I found that even shaping one lousy center piece took up an inordinate amount of Time so I've almost completely given up the idea of ever making my own puzzles. A shame really as it could be an interesting venture and possibly a way to recoup my costs.