Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I want one!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 7:34 am 
I am interested in buying a 5x3x3 from you. Please reply with information on availibility, price, and willingness to build me one.

Post subject: Problems
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:09 pm 

I have an issue at the moment that I can't get the cubes I used to use. I'll be posting a picture of the box shortly on the site for help in locating these cubes in Australia.

As a reference, the cubes comes in a cheap pink box marked "Intelligence cube".

Post subject: huh?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 12:57 am 
I want to know if you can make me a 5x3x3 puzzle. I don't know what you mean by you don't have the cubes you used to use. If you can't build one to sell to me, please explain why, in such a way as if you were speaking to a child. I'm a little confused, you didn't mention the 5x3x3 in your response, so I don't know if you ment to respond to my inquiry. You also used the word "cube" and well, not to be obsessive with the importance of clarity, but a 5x3x3 puzzle is not a cube. Please for the love of all that is holy can you help me acquire a 5x3x3?
Nick

Post subject: 5x3x3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 8:51 am 

Nick. The 5x3x3 does not look like a cube, but is in fact made from the parts of a 3x3x3 cube. If you glued separate cubies on each end of a 3x3x3 to make its length five cubies. That would be exactly what Wayne has made. It looks strange, but is solved in the same manner as a 3x3x3 because the extensions cannot be turned independant of the cube they are attached to.
Follow me?
Hope that explains part of it.
Cheers.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:30 pm 
Thanks Jake, I understand now. I'm dissapointed, but now I'm thinking of a way a fully twistable 5x3x3 would be constructed, if it is possible. Has there ever been a 5x3x3 that is not glued? By the way, do you know how a 2x3x3 is built?

Post subject: 5x3x3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 10:24 pm 

I just recently read something about someone making plans to build one that was fully functional (for lack of a better word right now). It may have even been this site. I'll post the info if I remember.

Post subject: 3x3x5
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 1:29 am 

You're probably thinking of my interview. :) I do know of a method to make a fully functional 3x3x5, but doing so requires some pretty funky pieces which unforunately I don't have the skill or resources to make right now. :-/ L8r.

Post subject: plans?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:40 am 

Any chance you could show us somehow?

Post subject: re: plans?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 11:40 am 

Unfortunately, my artistic skills aren't really up to the task. Besides, I think I've come up with a way to make them out of pre-existing parts, so you may be seeing one on eBay some day after all. :) BTW, does anyone here know how to remove the centre pieces from an OddzOn cube? I know, in my interview I referred to the OddzOn cubes as "obviously substandard", but after taking a closer look at them, about the only "substandard" things on them are the paper stickers and the inner edge of the centre pieces being straight instead of curved, giving it a more "clunky" feeling. The rest of the puzzle construction seems really top notch. If I can, I'll be using them to create my 3x3x5 puzzles, even if I have to completely destroy the rest of the mechanism on one cube per puzzle to do it. L8r.

Post subject: Sorry for the late reply
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 6:25 pm 

I used to use a particular brand of cheap tiled cube to create the 5x3x3. It is basically extra cubes stuck on top of a standard 3x3x3.

You could make this yourslef except that the difference is, that I use polyester resin and drill between the piece to permanently fuse the pieces together.

However, since that post, I have someone who is going to locate old decent cubes for me.

The reason I can use any old cube, is that some cheap cubes are thin shelled and with the weight of the extra cubes, they don't turn as easily as the cube ought to.

The cubes I used to use made it turn easily and it was a half decent puzzle.