Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hybrid rubik's magic / create the cube
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:55 pm 

here's something i built after i broke my rubik's magic ;P~

it's a hybrid combination of the 2 puzzles, and i was told that other people may be interested in seeing this so.. here it is.

i used jaap's webpage for instructions on restringing the magic.

hope someone finds this interesting ^_^

Attachments:
File comment: The back image i used to make the magic (refer to the numbering on the image to understand how it relates to the other image)
Hybrid_Tiles_LR_flipped.jpg
Hybrid_Tiles_LR_flipped.jpg [ 76.29 KiB | Viewed 4839 times ]
File comment: The image i used to make the magic (refer to the numbering on the image to understand how it relates to the other image).
Hybrid_Tiles.jpg
Hybrid_Tiles.jpg [ 77.26 KiB | Viewed 4616 times ]
File comment: The starting state (for both puzzles).
StartState.JPG
StartState.JPG [ 74.49 KiB | Viewed 4641 times ]
File comment: Rubik's magic solved state.
SolvedState_Rings.JPG
SolvedState_Rings.JPG [ 87.49 KiB | Viewed 4627 times ]
File comment: The create the cube puzzle solved
SolvedState_Cube.JPG
SolvedState_Cube.JPG [ 58.24 KiB | Viewed 4642 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:06 pm 

oo very clever, I love it.
don't tell Pentazis, he will want to steal it :P

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject: Re: Hybrid rubik's magic / create the cube
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:11 pm 

wittkamp wrote:
here's something i built after i broke my rubik's magic ;P~

it's a hybrid combination of the 2 puzzles, and i was told that other people may be interested in seeing this so.. here it is.

i used jaap's webpage for instructions on restringing the magic.

hope someone finds this interesting ^_^

Oh yeeeeesss!!! Two famous puzzles in one, simply brilliant!!!

Thanks for the previous emails, but most of all, thanks for sharing this with us Mark! :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject: ^_^
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:50 pm 

eheh.. glad you guys like it, i've been thinking about making a larger variant of a magic for some time.. so, if and when i finally do - i'll be sure to post it up here ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:27 pm 

I thought about making one of those by varying the background colors behind the rings. This one is a very nice blending of the two puzzles.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:00 pm 

That is a very attractive and creative mod! Great job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:12 pm 

Awesome puzzle you have there!!!!! I swear this is the first magic to have three different solve states unlike the normal two for every other magics that I know of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:47 am 

Darren Grewe wrote:
Awesome puzzle you have there!!!!! I swear this is the first magic to have three different solve states unlike the normal two for every other magics that I know of.

So true! Now I should try to mix a magic craze and a magic daze... now *that* would give two different double flat solutions, plus two different cubic solutions! LOL
Just like Mark's puzzle blending is so nice (because the circles do not interfere with the corners), the diagonal lines of the Magic Daze would not interfere with the horizontal and vertical lines of the Magic Craze.

Maths + Art = Perfection :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:03 pm 

Looks great, the rings look like a hologram.

Post subject: make your own!
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:34 am 

I recently was contacted by someone asking for permission to use my design to have them make one of these for them.

Here's what I replied:
---
"of course it's okay! - the whole reason i posted the templates up was so people could make it themselves!

go right ahead, i'll post a message up about it on the forum page too."
---

..anyway, there it is - in case there are more people wondering if they should feel bad about stealing the design :P~ ..

ALSO - while i'm at it.. i did make some brighter versions of the templates that I have since created - the first seemed slightly too faded for my liking. BUT - i'm not sure if i can find them now, if i do - i'll post them here.

Post subject: Hybrid
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:58 am 

I was the one who asked for permission (see, I told you I played fair! :wink: ). I'm looking to hire one of you wonderful magic assemblers in twisty puzzle land to build two for me (personal use only). Please pm me with cost for your time & material.
Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:52 pm 

I will take one as well.

But not from Panspazis... I have too many magics made by him, and everytime I get a shipment from him, there are kangaroo droppings in the box... or maybe they are greek olives. I haven't tasted them to find out!

He he... just kidding Panda. I would get one of these from you along with the octopussy one too.

Post subject: Re: make your own!
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:25 pm 

wittkamp wrote:

ALSO - while i'm at it.. i did make some brighter versions of the templates that I have since created - the first seemed slightly too faded for my liking. BUT - i'm not sure if i can find them now, if i do - i'll post them here.

I love to see this in a Brighter colors then faded one. No offence I hope! I'd definitely buy 1 or 2 of them then. I love bright colors!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:23 pm 

I'd be willing to make these for $9 + shipping if I get permission from wittkamp :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:30 pm 

Ok, since I know next to nothing about magics (but want to be part of the crowd :wink:) what two puzzles are these combinations of? It just looks like a magic with awesome colors...

Oh, nice puzzle either way, hopefully you can make them, Watermelon, I might be interested :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:54 pm 

This forum has another modder on this forum, a magic modder. Another pantazis, just what we need (just kidding great work, just kidding to you too pantazis [hope I spelled that right]) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:58 am 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Ok, since I know next to nothing about magics (but want to be part of the crowd :wink:) what two puzzles are these combinations of? It just looks like a magic with awesome colors...

Oh, nice puzzle either way, hopefully you can make them, Watermelon, I might be interested :)

Create the cube and a regular Magic.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject: new designs made
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:43 am 

watermelon wrote:
I'd be willing to make these for $9 + shipping if I get permission from wittkamp
- no problem if you're charging only for labour and parts - as long as people are not making money from my design itself i really don't mind.

i couldn't find the ones i edited.. so i made better ones (well, better in my opinion, anyway) - but, the faded ones are still there if you prefer
I may eventually make a batch of these (as well as a few design ideas i have yet to try out) and maybe sell them on ebay or something.

where do you guys all get your tiles / strings from ? ..any recommendations ? (i plan on buying a fair few tiles - i don't even own my own master magic yet !)

Post subject: Re: new designs made
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:56 am 

wittkamp wrote:
where do you guys all get your tiles / strings from ? ..any recommendations ? (i plan on buying a fair few tiles - i don't even own my own master magic yet !)

Pantazis posted a review of the Magic tile suppliers here.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:05 pm 

wittkamp:

thank youthank youthank youthank youthank youthank youthank youthank youthank youthank you :lol:

watermelon:
I sent you a pm. I want three (with the brighter templates)
Chuck

Post subject: Re: new designs made
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:15 pm 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
wittkamp wrote:

Pantazis posted a review of the Magic tile suppliers here.

nice, thanks for bringing this to my attention - also, thanks to pantazis for doing the the "hit and miss" ordering so i won't have to ^_~

Post subject: another variation of the above (semi-transparent logo)
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:40 pm 

here's a version of the one i just added, except the rubik's logos are now slightly transparent with the rings showing over them.

i don't know what people will prefer - i don't really know which i like more at this stage.. but here they are anyway

(sorry - i can't be bothered putting the back image of this into a nice tile format like the ones above) - but use the other ones as a reference when orienting the bits of paper once you've cut them all out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:56 pm 

More stupid questions from Speedy! (Mostly because I am interested in this puzzle)

How is it for speed? Does the puzzle solve just like a magic normally would?

And second, what is this "create the cube" magic thing? A mod of a magic or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:01 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
More stupid questions from Speedy! (Mostly because I am interested in this puzzle)

How is it for speed? Does the puzzle solve just like a magic normally would?

And second, what is this "create the cube" magic thing? A mod of a magic or something?
- the 'create the cube' magic is exactly the same as a normal magic mechanically.. it just has a different solved state. Because both the regular magic and the cube magic have the same common starting state (the 2x4 tile configuration with 3 rings / all grids oriented the same) i decided to merge the 2 puzzles.

Perhaps 'hybrid' isn't the best name, because the puzzle is actually BOTH puzzles rather than a new puzzle, and both can be solved (just ignore the pattern of the one you aren't solving) - so in answer to your question (YES - it can be solved as a normal magic would - BUT it can also be solved as a normal create-the-cube would)

..have a look at the cube solved state (from the first post) to see what the cube solution is - although not the best photo, all the coloured squares match up in this form, and it's in the cube/kickstand formation as u can see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:06 pm 

Exactly!

Mark (wittkamp) has done en excellent job with blending the two themes.

When putting together the paper tiles, you only need to consider of their position and orientation with respect the Rubik's Magic theme. The Create the Cube theme is done automatically!

:)

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:49 pm 

Wow, that's a pretty awesome puzzle *starts saving 9 dollars...* This could take a while...