Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: spam
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:30 am 

Is it just me or did the amount of spam increase a lot recently? Anyone thinks it will go away if we ignore it?

Or could we do something against it like for registration requesting to read/type letters from a picture or get an invitation for a member?

Btw, they do get viewed. Who views them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:40 am 

If we didn't allow creating new topics unless you have already at least one post, most spammers could do nothing. Sometimes they reply to already existing topics, but usually they create their own. Just an idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:06 am 

I have told it in this forum before... there are some anti-spam mods for phpbb2 forums..., the Webmaster should install these mods...

I dont have spam problems in my forum, well, sometimes some unregistered used post spam but it dont happens with registered users... since in this forum unregistered users cant write, the spam's problmes'll disappear using these mods...

The best spanish forum about the rubik cube

http://www.rubikaz.com/foro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:52 pm 

I could help out if you want.

I could write a PHPBB mod that requires a friend to invite you. Assuming one doesn't already exist.

Post subject: Re: spam
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:41 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Is it just me or did the amount of spam increase a lot recently? Anyone thinks it will go away if we ignore it?

Well, I have also noted this

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Or could we do something against it like for registration requesting to read/type letters from a picture or get an invitation for a member?

But I don't think that requiering an invitation is a good way, since that hinders new cubefans who don't know any of us to share this community with us. The idea with typing letters from an imagie seems good though.

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Btw, they do get viewed. Who views them?

Well, I am one of those who views them. :oops: I do it because I hate to have unread topics...
I know it is a lousy argument for it, but what difference does it make to the spammer? I mean, it isn't like a spam mail, right? That you shouldn't open it because then they will know your email exist and start sending even more mail...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:51 pm 

Haara wrote:
Stefan Pochmann wrote:

But I don't think that requiering an invitation is a good way, since that hinders new cubefans who don't know any of us to share this community with us. The idea with typing letters from an imagie seems good though.

I really don't think that'll work... All that does is keep AUTOMATED spam from automatically sending spam... these new users already went through signing up, making an account and then posting their spam. a few letters to enter isn't going to stop them....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:19 pm 

reeeech wrote:
a few letters to enter isn't going to stop them....

Who knows, if it aint to much trouble setting up (I don't have a clue about how much it takes, just guessing) it might be worth it, even thou more things may have to be done to keep them all away.

And spammers that aren't automated, can we get rid of them? Well, if we don't make the invitation thingie...
The only way to keep them away wouldn't that be to wait for their first post and then "fire" them from the forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:57 am 

reeech: Please don't think it's hard to automate registering etc and posting when it's all structured and textual. It makes you look naive. Did you see the recent spammer who even fooled Dodd with his "uh I forgot my password what can I do" message? I googled for his id and if I remember correctly found thousands of results. I checked the first few and they were all the same thing he did here, just in other forums.

Haara: There's a "mark all as read" link on the top right. It's even faster than loading a thread page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:13 am 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
reeech: Please don't think it's hard to automate registering etc and posting when it's all structured and textual. It makes you look naive. Did you see the recent spammer who even fooled Dodd with his "uh I forgot my password what can I do" message? I googled for his id and if I remember correctly found thousands of results. I checked the first few and they were all the same thing he did here, just in other forums.

Please elaborate then.... I usually see the 'enter the text you see in the box' for like buying tickets to sporting events online. so it prevents people from doing it from an automated machine.

All I meant to say that I don't think it'll catch all the spammers out there. I'm with you on trying to stop and prevent spammers, just pointing out that I don't think that's the best way. Sure it may be effective... but not the overall best.

What do you mean it makes me look naive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:22 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Haara: There's a "mark all as read" link on the top right. It's even faster than loading a thread page.

Oh, thanks, missed that one... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:07 pm 

Hmm ...

If u gonna need invitation and u don't know anyone on the forum, what then? We gonna have a public memberlist that lists emails? Now that would surely generate quite a lot of private spam :oops: Well, actually it could work with current memberlist. Those who want to be invited could send a pm (private message). That way it could take a while to get invited though. I think we just have to live with the rather small amount of spam we already have :wink:

-Per :solved:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:46 pm 

reeeech wrote:
I usually see the 'enter the text you see in the box' for like buying tickets to sporting events online. so it prevents people from doing it from an automated machine.

Correct. To do this with a program is not easy.

Quote:
What do you mean it makes me look naive?

Uh ok, maybe that was too harsh, so... sorry. It was this:

reeeech wrote:
All that does is keep AUTOMATED spam from automatically sending spam... these new users already went through signing up, making an account and then posting their spam. a few letters to enter isn't going to stop them....

This sounded to me like you think an automated program is not able to sign up, make an account and post. Which is wrong. I believe the vast majority of spam is automated. It's just not worth doing it manually as long as you get a huge number of victims the automated way easily.

Last edited by away on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:53 pm 

Ahh no problem Stefan...

I think there's a lot of great ideas, but I don't think any 'one' would solve all the problems.

Overall, it's pretty much up to Sandy and Sausage to deal with it. I know Sausage goes through them weekly and disables them/their IP addy's as he's said in previous posts.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I guess as the forum gets bigger and bigger we should probably vote on adding more moderator(s). It shouldn't be a tool of power over others, but just to help assist Sandy and Sausage with daily tasks - flagging down these spammers, fixing the CSS stuff Stefan keeps finding ;) :P, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:05 pm 

when I had spam problems in my forum I put two moderators, it is a good idea.

When I installed some spam mods (that can be found in http://www.phpbb.com ), the registered spam dissapeared, so I think it is the solution.

The mods I use for avoid registered spam are:

AntiSpam Mod

ConfusaBOT ACP

No Website Signature during registration

The best spanish forum about the rubik cube

http://www.rubikaz.com/foro

Post subject: Dude
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:58 pm 

I just read some of the dumbest topics I've seen here... ever...

It was some jackass trying to sell a 3x3x3 for like $37.95 or something rediculous like that

-FireWezul

<b>3x3x3 Best Average: 0:30.9
3x3x3 Best Solve (Unlucky): 0:21.xx
3x3x3 Best Solve (Lucky): 0.20.xx

Post subject: Re: Dude
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:33 am 

FireWezul wrote:
I just read some of the dumbest topics I've seen here... ever...

It was some jackass trying to sell a 3x3x3 for like $37.95 or something rediculous like that

-FireWezul

Any relation to the topic "spam"?