Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: StackMat Help With Solve Time?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:12 am 

Hello all,

I have been trying to increase my time with a 3X3X3 cube, and appear to be perpetually stuck at around 2-3 minutes with the looong method I know. I have been trying to learn to place more than one cubie at a time, but I seem to need to watch and ask questions of someone which I have not had a chance to do...

At any rate, even with the long method I use I am told I should be able to get my solve times to around 1-1.5 minutes, yet without being able to really time myself I am not sure how I am doing. I was wondering if one of the stackmats, such as the Speed Stack with timer (please see: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4994635) would help?

Thank all. I appreciate the advice.

Respectfully,

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:17 am 

you could, but it means investing money into one, there are plenty of free ones on the the net, I would say that stack mats are more for competition practise, why spend £30 when you can use free ones on the net?

A Java offline based timer:
http://strangepuzzle.com/JNetCube.jar

An online timer:
http://www.speedcubing.com/games/OnlineTimer.html

I recommend the first one, it automatically works out averages, let's you save your times and also gives you scramble algs....Enjoy.

If you are using the method that comes with the cube, you can get a 40 second average at solving.... 8-)

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:37 am 

A clock is enough ... Just for getting faster all you need to know is minustes/seconds. Knowing your time out to 2 decimal places is really only needed for competition.

Just keep working on learning a faster method (Petrus, Fridrich, Roux, etc...) You'll get there eventually.

TBTTyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:05 am 

Hello all!

Thank you for the links (especially the JNetCube :D ) and the suggestions! They are great! And, quite, I agree with being able to save the money if possible.

As for getting faster, I do hope so. Yet I have come to the realization that I am just a dunce. :lol:

Thanks again!

Always,

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:24 am 

try doing what I did ... Memorize one alg just before you go to bed each night. Do it just enough for you to do it without looking at it a couple of times just to get the muscle memory down.

If you forget it the next day, don't worry about it just do it again that night. After a while you'll get used to memorizing and it'll go quicker.

TBTTyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:59 pm 

http://rubiks.dk/timer_login.asp?conten ... ate=log_in

thats what I use it also does averages and counts number of solves and pops, dates of all the solves and monthly averages.

I should get a stackmat because my dad doesn't like it when I am solving for hours on the compter.

whenyour times are in the minutes you shouldn't need a precice timer when I started I used a digital clock. I'd be like "YES 15 minutes new record"

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:20 am 

Well put. You shouldn't really need a precise timer until you get down to under 30 seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:43 pm 

at work i just use the clock on my computer. it gives me a justified time, usually around 20-25 seconds. i dont really mind for not having the hundreths of a second. but i do also use JNetCube on my lunch break for actually timing myself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:16 pm 

Here's how you can build an accurate pocket-sized timer.
Buy a cheap stopwatch, remove the start/stop button, and connect a simple 3x5-card-and-paperclip-mini-mat to the two terminals of the stopwatch with two wires. :wink: