Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New puzzles by Tony Fisher
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:54 am 

This message is sent on behalf of Tony Fisher.

As is explained in some articles in the article's section of this forum, it is possible to make a 2*2*4 puzzle or a 2*2*6 puzzle using a 4*4*4 puzzle.
Basically, what is done is that the 4 inside pieces of the (top) layer of a 4*4*4 are rounded to act like a kind of axle.

The disadvantage of the 2*2*6 that is obtained in this way is that the "cubelets" are of unequal dimensions.

Tony Fisher has changed and improved this concept and has created two beautiful new puzzles; a 2*2*6 puzzle and a 4*4*6 puzzle.
Both puzzles are fully genuine, fully working puzzles (so no "glued pieces") and have cube-lets that have the same sizes in all 3 perpendicular dimensions.

Details about the internal mechanisms will be revealed in a couple of days.
Tony is presently not planning to make more samples.

Below are some pictures,

Geert Hellings.

Post subject: Re: New puzzles by Tony Fisher
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:09 am 

Proof yet again that Tony is truly the master! What on earth holds the 2x2x4 top cubies in? Any chance of a slightly brighter pic to show up the dark regions?

I'll try to brighten the current one in photoshop to see what I can see.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:54 pm 

Truely a master he is! Nothing i would every dream of doing myself.

Adam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:28 pm 

SomeTimes trying to figure out what the internal mechanism is like is as fun as solving a puzzle.

It took me a couple of minutes but I'm 99.44% sure how the 2x2x6 is made. Pretty clever but fairly easily duplicated.

The 4x4x6 is a bit more of a challenge and I'm not entirely convinced that the corner cubies are particularly stable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:08 am 

Those puzzles are technical masterpieces, but I wish they were something fundamentally new, instead of mechanically interesting equivalents of already constructed puzzles. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what the mechanisms are, perhaps it will inspire something more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:09 am 

I can't wait to find out details on the internal mechanism!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:15 pm 

NOOOO!!! I had plans and was gonna build a 4x4x6 this summer! Drat, you beat me to it, hehehe, oh well, Great Job Tony Fischer!

jake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:28 pm 

The 2x2x6 has to be a fairly long puzzle. It would be nice to see a picture of it in the palm of a hand. I wonder if it is fragile or fairly durable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:19 pm 
Notice how the dimensions of the 2x2x6 seem very close to what 3 4x4x4's stacked on top of each other would be. Makes me wonder if maybe the 2x2x6 is mechanically a bandaged 4x4x12 (or simplified equivalent)! In fact, when I look really close I think I can almost detect some really faint separation lines at the mid-point of some of the edges... but maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:36 pm 

I just finished a 5 minute sketch of the 2x2x6 using a yellow notepad, a pen, and some highlighters. I'm willing to wager that it was accomplished with an Eastsheen 4x4x4 as the core mechanism, although not having torn one apart yet I do have one minor clearance issue I'm not positive about.

In any case the concept of it is quite simple but as usual the trick is being able to implement it. Heck I might have to make one for myself, Time permitting. Tony Fisher is definitely the man.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:14 pm 

I assume the 2x2x6 was build with a Rubik's Master cube, since I supplied Tony with 24 4x4x4 Rubik's Master cubes

The 2x2x6 looks amazing, it is more an art piece than a puzzle. But it will be to big to be a practical puzzle to play with.

I guess the 4x4x6 is just a "simple" extension as the 2x2x4 design. So a hook that hold under the normal layer

I think the 4x4x6 is a challenging puzzle

Ton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:38 am 

Incredible!

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:55 am 

I'd suggest that the 2x2x6 applies the typical Tony Fisher cube-size trick to the concepts seen in Geert's 2x2x4 and 2x2x6:

Image Image

It would require "poles" from the second and fifth layers of the 2x2x6 to be attached to the first and fourth layer corner cubies of the 4x4x4. Then poles from the first and sixth layers of the 2x2x6 would be nested inside the second and fifth layer poles and would be attached to the top and bottom center cubies of the 4x4x4. If I'm not mistaken, you can see them in the third picture.

The 4x4x6 is a new concept, but not too hard to guess. The top and bottom center cubies on the 4x4x4 were just extended out one cubie and the rest of the puzzle holds onto them in pretty much the same way that the common 4x4x4 works. This would require carving into all the edge and corner cubies of the 4x4x4 to make a circular track which would mimic the one seen when you disassemble the top layer of a 4x4x4. Then you just pop in an extra layer of unmodified 4x4x4 pieces into this track.

If this theory is correct, there is no reason (other than stability during twists) that this concept couldn't be extended layer after layer after layer for a 4x4x8, or a 4x4x10. Better yet, if you extend on all six faces, you get something approaching a 6x6x6 (missing the edges and corners).

I suspect Tony is hard at work doing that right now. There is clearly a way to modify the 4x4x4 pieces further to hold in all the edge pieces, and attach the corners via a diagonal pole to the 4x4x4 corners. I'll bet the next puzzle Tony makes is a 6x6x6 based on this concept.

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:47 pm 

Ok. A master cube it is. The design I envision could easily work with a regular revenge/master cube, although with a little more work. And yes, it does make a great piece of artwork for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:02 pm 

Now that the 4x4x6 is out, i guess i dont need to be "hush hush" about some of my ideas based on this type of modifications. In my plans for the 4x4x6, i also pondered using the same concept on the 5x5x5 cube and turning it into a 5x5x7. I dont think anyone has experimented with cutting the centers of the 5x5 into circles like you can with the 4x4, but i'd imagine with little modification you can easily do the same. Has anyone tried this?
Jake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:36 pm 

The burning question for me is: how do you stop the 2x2x6 top cubies from falling out? During a mid twist, the top cubes are exposed, and I imagine you can twist them off.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:44 pm 

If you're using a 4x4x4, the cubies at the extremities are anchored to the core via the 4 inner cubelets by using long extensions that go past layers 2 and 4. You can see these extension arms in the first picture showing a lengthwise slice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:50 am 

errrr... layers 2 and 5 (not 4) of the 2x2x6...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:50 am 

Judging by the picture, each 2x2 chunk is almost the same size as the 4x4 next to it. So, what is needed to be done is round the bottom layer and the top layer into a circle, do the same with the top and bottom centers. turn the 2 and 3 layer of the 4x4 into the 2x2, attach another layer off of the 2x2 onto the rounded first and last layer of the 4x4. And finally the outer layers of the 2x2x6 are attached to the centers of the 4x4. Its such an easy modification that our advance intelligence must have overlooked hehehe :)
Well, easy concept i should say. Building it maybe a little tricky.

hehe Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:09 pm 

This is an old thread but I don't think I ever showed pictures of the inside apart from in CFF (The Dutch Cube Club newsletter).

Attachments:
4x4x6 low.jpg
4x4x6 low.jpg [ 189.57 KiB | Viewed 6674 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:19 am 

Wow and I have never found this thread. The 2x2x6 is extremely hardcore awesome loool.
Will you ever sell one of those on ebay or have you earlier already? If not I would love to see that lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:08 pm 

I'd like to make some more one day but It needs some improvements and I am concerned about the stress on the delicate 4x4x4 centres.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:00 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I'd like to make some more one day but It needs some improvements and I am concerned about the stress on the delicate 4x4x4 centres.
Could you possibly mold your own and use some stone powder to increase the strength of the pieces just like you mentioned in your Golden Cube construction thread?

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:10 pm 

The parts I mould are more brittle than factory made parts and less accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:24 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
The parts I mould are more brittle than factory made parts and less accurate.
That's a shame.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:22 am 

i think sandy or someone should add a couple of new pictures of puzzles to the database that tony made cause there are a few missing