Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sub-30 video
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:49 pm 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YAPiGTQaYIs
I have finally got a recording of me getting a sub-30 solve, there were a few hiccups, but I still managed sub-30, so I must be doing something right.

I don't know any OLL yet, that it is why it is 2 look OLL, and also, it took a bit of time for me to spot my fair CE pair and also the PLL, apart from that, what do you think?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:53 pm 

I can do a 2 look LL. but a different way most people do it. I do corners first then egdes not OLL and PLL. I hate the PLL algs because they are so hard to learn because they require a lot of rotating the whole cube and they take are harder for me to recognize. I know 27 algs for fixing the corners. and then only 4 for the edges. Very easy to recognize quicly.

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:19 pm 

What Pll algorithm did you use?It's hard to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:22 am 

nice, but i want some music :) im bored of all those silent rubiks videos :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:58 am 

it's not about music it's about how it's solved and how fast...music takes away from the solve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:07 am 

1. Practice doing cross on bottom. Allows you to look ahead earlier and take the few seconds away that it takes to turn the cube around.

2. Learn more F2l algs, a few of the ones that you are using look very long.

Other than that, good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:28 am 

Sadzior wrote:
nice, but i want some music :) im bored of all those silent rubiks videos :wink:

Here you go:

http://www.chrisandkori.us/_filelib/Fil ... 060325.wmv

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:45 am 

i didn't exactly meaned it, but i wont argue with your gusto :) my next video will be with a behemoth mp3 :).
What is your method? You look slow at the beginning, but you've got good times 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:52 am 

Sadzior wrote:
What is your method? You look slow at the beginning, but you've got good times 8-)

CFOP with 2-look OLL (or sometimes 1-look if I know the case). I've shaved about 5 seconds off my times since that video was taken. So I really need to make a new one (with music!)

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:56 am 

and that music would be...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:13 am 

Switching to solving the cross on the bottom was slow and tedious for me, but the payoff was significant, and it didn't require any memorization, just a little practice. I would recommend doing that as soon as possible.

I noticed that you move your whole hand to the bottom of the cube to do turns on the D face. I use my ring finger to flick the D face on the back side of the cube. This is nice because I don't have to regrip and I can flow more quickly into the next step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:19 am 

howq do you do B and B' moves? I do D and D' in the same way as you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:32 am 

I have to change grip to do B turns, so I don't always do it the same way, depending on what turns I'm making before and after. I either twist my wrist toward me so my thumb is on the bottom face and use my ring finger (same as I just explained for D turns) or tilt the cube toward me and use my index finger.

I slightly prefer to use my index finger because I can move the B face either direction. With my ring finger I can only pull it towards me (D' with right hand, D with left hand). There may be cubers that can go both directions with their ring finger, but I haven't gotten any better at it after a year, so I don't expect to ever have that down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:32 am 

Sadzior wrote:
howq do you do B and B' moves? I do D and D' in the same way as you

Me? I try to avoid them :P but I usually use my left hand if I have to

Kyle_A wrote:
What Pll algorithm did you use?It's hard to see.

Z perm..took me a while to spot it.....

dim5 wrote:
I noticed that you move your whole hand to the bottom of the cube to do turns on the D face. I use my ring finger to flick the D face on the back side of the cube. This is nice because I don't have to regrip and I can flow more quickly into the next step.

I don't use any D turns in my solving, I am actually rotating the cube so the CE pair aligns with its correct location

verymagicalguy wrote:
2. Learn more F2l algs, a few of the ones that you are using look very long.

Other than that, good job!

I want to get my LL method laid down first, then I am going to find the best algorithms for me

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:50 pm 

Sadzior wrote:
and that music would be...?

Well I choose the music based on the length of the video. I usually just peruse my collection looking for something that works.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:18 am 

Pembo wrote:
I want to get my LL method laid down first, then I am going to find the best algorithms for me

Personally, I feel that learning F2L is more important. I feel that learning F2L cut my time down more than learning LL. I'm still learning OLL's (I still have 20 more) but I have already decreased my F2L average to about 12 seconds. Since F2L requires more practice than LL (to me at least) I feel that getting started on F2L ahead of time pays off more at the end. At this stage I get many sub-20 solves since my LL only takes 5-10 seconds, depending on if its two or three look. But whatever works for you is probably your best bet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:30 am 

I agree with this completely. I started keeping track of how long F2L took me when I was just under 40s average and was shocked to find that F2L was taking 30 seconds! Now my 3 look LL takes about 5-8 seconds just from practicing, but I know I could get to at least sub-25 without getting any better at LL.