Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Making bandaged Revenge Cubes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:42 am 

I noticed the 4x3x2 cube, as well as a 4x4x2 and a 2x2x4 cube all made from Rubik's revenge. I would like to try making at least one of these puzzles, by fusing certain cubes together. What I would like to know is: what should I use to fuse the cubies together with, where can I get it, any specific way I should apply it, etc... any info would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I can probably manage tiles/stickers myself but if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Post subject: Glue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:03 am 

You could just use glue i guess, but get a thick one, because if it runs, it will get inside the puzzle, and screw it up. regarding what pieces to glue, just do what you see in the pic - glue the ones that are longer as 2 blocks togheter

Post subject: Thanks...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:10 am 

Would a thick glue fill in the indentation formed between the 2 glued pieces, if so how can I correct this? Also, can the Revenge be taken apart? (at least the edges and corners maybe) Please respond!

Post subject: Re: Thanks...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:58 pm 

Yes, it can be taken apart.
To fill the holes, use a putty like Milliput or Tamiya putty

Post subject: Freaky / attempt
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:19 pm 

It's weird how I do something on the weekend and then somnoe starts discussing it here... that's starting to freak me out. Is someone watching me?

Anyway, I tried pigmenting milliput and while it gave good results to fill in the gaps, milliput loses some of it's properties. It becomes weak, and doesn't stick as well to the piece.

I guess you could put raw milliput on and colour it with a marker, but that does seem a little dodgy.

Post subject: What do you guys usually do...?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:41 pm 

To color the milliput black? Or is there an available black putty that would work?

Post subject: Is it worth filling in the gaps?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:14 am 

I know that filling in the gaps would probably make a better looking puzzle, but is it worth the time and effort? Are people wanting a good looking puzzle vs. a hard to solve new puzzle variation? I of course would like a good looking puzzle, but how bad is it to have a small dimple in your sticker? How closly do you look at the fine detail when you are playing with a puzzle?

Has anyone had any great success yet in filling in the gaps?

Post subject: Pigment
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:41 pm 

Well, like I was saying, you would be wasting your time pigmenting it because it would become weak and brittle. You can pick the pieces off very easily.

There's the option to try coal dust as a pigment. I don't have any so I can't try it.

Post subject: Yup
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:43 am 
Someone is always watching you.

Ok, so Big Brother isn't spying on you, but it does feel like that some times. I had just disigned a 3x2x2 and the next day it was on here, difrent way to make it, but same puzzle. Similar things seem to happen all the time, although none come to mind at the moment.

It can get annoying if you think you had an original idea and then you find out someone else already did it, its even worse when the person came up with it years ago. And when it happens for the 20th time it can get really agrivateing.

Post subject: Re: Is it worth filling in the gaps?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:14 am 

I havent tried this, but in my experience, milliput will not bond to plastic well without glue reinforcement

Post subject: Tell me about it.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:43 am 

About a week ago, I had the great idea to make some copies of The Wall and sell them on eBay. The day after, I discovered that Dodd had already beat me to it. :-/ Oh well. At least I hadn't bought the components for it yet. That would have been a little TOO annoying. L8r.