Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Orange stickers on 5x5x5
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 6:39 am 

The orange stickers on my original 5x5x5 cube did not stay attached well. (I understand that this is a common problem.) I told that the glue on the stickers could be reflowed using an iron. They were right. My stickers are on nice and tight now, except that they became very distorted shaped due to the heat. Maybe I used too much heat.

Anyway, I recently acquired another 5x5x5 with the same orange sticker problem (they don't stick). I'm afraid to do the iron thing again because of the sticker warpage. Does anyone have a better way that they tried?

Thanx, Doug.

P.S. I know that I saw some postings on the old Rubik forum on how to fix this; but unfortunately, they seem to have been lost forever.

Post subject: Reattaching Stickers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 4:07 am 

Some of the stickers on a new 5x5x5 from Meffert's were slipping. It looked like the stickers were just missing glue altogether. I tried a liquid glue called "Plastic Weld" that's used to bond styrene, since I had that handy. (Available at most hobby shops.)

The good news is that it worked just fine. The bad news is that the sticker and the cubie are now essentially a single piece of plastic and the sticker probably can't be removed without destroying it or the cubie. That may or may not be a problem from your point of view.

If you try this, be EXTREMELY careful and use only the smallest amount of the plastic-weld stuff, since it effectively melts the plastic and too much would liquify the sticker. Also, give it 24 hours to dry.

And don't accidentally get any into the cube unless you're intentionally trying to bandage it - the stuff works great for that. :)

Post subject: Reattaching orange stickers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:07 am 

The orange stickers that I have still has the original glue but it has lost its stickiness. Do I need to remove the old glue first? (I think I read this on the old Rubik's forum, but I don't remember what was used to remove the old glue.)

Doug.

Post subject: Use paper as well....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2001 4:12 am 
Hi Doug,

The idea is to also use a sheet of paper or two between the iron and the cube to reduce the amount of direct heat applied to the cube.

Wayne

Post subject: Using paper...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2001 4:12 am 

I used the paper and the lowest setting on my iron with the first cube, and they still distorted. Maybe I needed more layers of paper or use a shorter length of time. Now I'm afraid to try it again. I don't want to screw up another one.

Thanks, Doug.