Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Red is great!
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:55 pm 

Claus, gratulations!

When clauswe reads this, he will know what I mean. Pantazis as well.
For everybody else it will probably remain a puzzle what I'm talking about.

Anyway, it was a bit of luck, but we are happy tonight :D

Post subject: Re: Red is great!
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:02 pm 

I know what you mean, but I prefer yellow/black ;)

My website: Frank's Puzzle Library

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:06 pm 

But at least for the summer we should concentrate on a common 3-color scheme!!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 pm 

And.. what I just realize: It's the combination of the mentioned colors :)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:25 pm 

Indeed, red is great! Mia San Mia

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:38 pm 

Lifelong (red) fan here!

It was a long wait!

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:19 pm 

Frank Tiex wrote:
And.. what I just realize: It's the combination of the mentioned colors :)
Indeed, the opposite colours of today should build a harmonic picture very soon.
Black, red and yellow are the colours of the German flag, aren't they? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:58 pm 

Konrad wrote:

No Konrad, it´s black red and gold ;-)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:11 am 

And today?

Is the clock still counting?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:46 am 

Downwards .. ;)

Relegation: Erstliga-Uhr im HSV-Stadion läuft erstmals als Countdown rückwärts

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:00 am 

doctor twist wrote:
Konrad wrote:

No Konrad, it´s black red and gold ;-)
I will not translate it, but Wikipedia is telling me:
Quote:
Die genauen Farbtöne der deutschen Flagge sind nicht per Gesetz festgelegt. Auf der Grundlage des Beschlusses des Bundeskabinetts vom 2. Juni 1999 wurde aber das Corporate Design der Bundesregierung entwickelt. Für Flaggenstoffe nimmt man daher für das Gold das sogenannte Melonengelb (RAL 1028). Für die technische Beschreibung verwendet die Bundesregierung momentan folgende RAL-Farbwerte, mit deren Entsprechung im Pantone- und CMYK-System für Bildwortmarken („Firmenlogos“) und RGB für Online-Medien:
So it is fair to say that you are right in theory, but reality shows some yellow. Maybe the colours of yesterday evening didn't fit exactly :lol:

I admit that this is the most trivial topic I have ever started :lol:
Still it might be fun for Claus and Pantazis - and some who live in or close to Germany :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:18 am 

Just wait till Germany takes on England, do we all still support red then? :P

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:23 am 

I think we need to get Pantone-specific here with the "gold/yellow" and "red" thing.

Edit: Just realized that Konrad beat me to it... I posted too quickly, before the images loaded! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:37 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:

Whatever happens there, we all know it's going to penalties as always.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:11 am 

KelvinS wrote:
Kattenvriendin wrote:

I want a like button.. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:57 pm 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
KelvinS wrote:
Kattenvriendin wrote:

I want a like button.. ;)

I want a dis-like button, because we also know how the penalties will end - as always! :roll: :(

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:43 pm 

Which is exactly why I wanted a like button ;) for your comment. Not the outcome. I much rather have sudden death to be honest. It's not completely fair either, but more fair than those stupid kick ball at goal moments.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:13 pm 

What's worse is we also know the penalties will be followed by the same old debate over whether penalties are a fair way to find a winner. Honestly, I could swear my entire life is just one big Groundhog Day, running in 4-year cycles! We know all the answers, we have been there before, it has all been done, let's move on already! England would have a better chance of winning by losing on purpose, just to do something (anything) different for the sake of it!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:37 pm 

Naturally it started all in the year 1966. :wink:
England seems to be under a spell since then. :roll:

I must be really very old that 48 years seem to be such a short time und my memory is still fresh.

I suppose that the collective memories of English and German people still differ quite a bit :lol: - regarding what really happened in that year.
Something similar happened in favour of the reds yesterday. Maybe they inherited the spell and England is free now.
Good luck for 2014 :)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:17 pm 

48 years is not that long Konrad. It was just.. oh.. my whole life and then some :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 pm 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
48 years is not that long Konrad. It was just.. oh.. my whole life and then some :lol:

Yes but it's shorter than

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:27 pm 

True.. at least no one is THAT old ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:57 pm 

It's the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, 27th June in Bloemfontein. England are playing Germany in the first round of the knock-out stages. Germany are leading 2-1, but England are pressing forward to try and get the equaliser before half-time. On the stroke of half-time, Frank Lampard receives the ball 20 yards out and hits a screamer which beats Manuel Neuer all up. But the ball hits the underside of the bar, hits the ground, and bounces back into play. Was it a goal? Not this again! But the referee disallows it, and from replays it is clearly seen not to have crossed the line:
Attachment:
File comment: Goal!
lampard_goal.jpg
lampard_goal.jpg [ 56.04 KiB | Viewed 1317 times ]
OK, Germany went on to win the game 4-1, but England were forced to chase the game in the second half to try and level it. Who knows what would have happened if the game had gone to 2-2?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:07 pm 

Gus wrote:
Who knows what would have happened if the game had gone to 2-2?

Everyone knows. We would have lost on penalties.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:29 pm 

We've got to win one sometime :( But yeah Gus, I've always said the same - going into the dressing room at half time level could have changed the player mindset totally, you see it all the time in league games.

Bring on goal line technology.

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:41 pm 

martywolfman wrote:
We've got to win one sometime :( But yeah Gus, I've always said the same - going into the dressing room at half time level could have changed the player mindset totally, you see it all the time in league games.

Bring on goal line technology.
Bring on English world class players :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:54 pm 

Where? :lol:

Not holding my breath for the RWB either. Some people are even getting orange dresses. :shock: :roll:

I'd be amazed if this team gets past the first round to be honest. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:00 pm 

England's problem is attitude, doing just enough to get one goal ahead and then playing only defensively as soon as they are one goal up. Pathetic, it's like they've just had a charisma bypass!

Bring on the Spaniards!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:16 pm 

I used to love watching flamboyant teams like Brazil, Argentina and Holland. Sadly football has now become stale and boring. Spain may be effective but I refuse to watch such tedious play. Until there's another Diego Maradona or Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima to entertain I think I'll give it a miss. Even the enjoyment of seeing grown Englishmen cry at the result of a football match is starting to wear off.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:51 pm 

Hello

Konrad wrote:
So it is fair to say that you are right in theory, but reality shows some yellow. Maybe the colours of yesterday evening didn't fit exactly :lol:

Grundgesetz Art. 22 Abs. 2: "Die Bundesflagge ist schwarz-rot-gold"
But you are right! I should have known that we germans are too avaricious to use gold leaf for our flag ;-)
(Luckily Uwe is not like this and he uses gold instead of yellow for one of his most famous puzzles)

I must admit that I am not a great soccerfan. But everybody I know is :-)
If you wanna know how I feel when peolpe talk enthusiatically about football, then I invite you to read this funny text (which I found in the internet):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Soccer Sounds To People That Don't Care. This Guy Nails It.

Firstly, imagine every time within a day that soccer is mentioned by someone else. Secondly, replace it with something that you don't want to hear about every day. Say... Archaeology. Then, think carefully about how an average day would pan out.

So, you awaken to the clock radio. It's 7AM. Just as you awaken, it's time for the news and archaeology already. Not news and other historical investigations, like library restorations or museum openings (unless there's another event happening), but just the news and archaelogy. Malaysian plane is still missing. Pistorius is still on trial. New dig announced in Giza. Ancient Mayan temple discovered. Exciting stuff.

Time for a bite to eat over the morning TV. More news. More archaeology. Yes, you are aware of what is up with the missing plane. Fine. Now the archaeology in video format. Video of people dusting off some skulls and bits of pottery. All well and good, but archaeology isn't your thing. It would be nice to hear about something else.

Even when it isn't archaeology season, the media follow noted archaeologists. They drive fast cars, date beautiful women, advertise fragrances, and sometimes they go to nightclubs and act in the worst possible way. Scandals erupt as the tabloids follow these new celebrities when they're not searching the past for answers. It is entirely possible you can recite the names of certain researchers, even if you don't pay attention to archaeology. You don't know what transfer season is, but you know that someone was transferred to a dig in Peru for a sum of money that could fund the London Underground for two whole days.

Out of the car at 8:55 and into work. What are the colleagues talking about, I wonder? Oh, Jones dropped a 3,890 year old pot and smashed it? What a useless wanker! Someone should do something unpleasant to him. And don't even ask about the unfortunate incident in Athens two years ago - you'll be there all day! Breaking a pillar like that! We don't talk about that here, mate. What? You don't want to discuss the finer points of the prevalence of phallic imagery in Pompeii? Is there something wrong with you?

The drive home from work. Every thirty minutes, no matter the station, someone mentions the archaeology. Best sit in silence. Drive past a huge billboard with a black and white picture of a rakishly handsome archaeologist draped over an impossibly beautiful woman. He's winking at you. Trowel in his left hand, supermodel in the right. Jurassic, by Calvin Klein.

And now the pub. A nice pub with a beer garden. Posters in the windows. LIVE EXCAVATION AT THE VALLEY OF THE KINGS! All of it on a huge TV with the volume up too loud. Drunken people yelling at the screen. "SEND IT FOR CARBON DATING, YOU USELESS ***K!" "WHAT ARE YOU ON, MATE? DUST THE ANCIENT MEDALLION GENTLY! SMELTING METHODS OF THE TIME PRODUCED VERY SOFT AND IMPURE METALS EASILY PRONE TO DISFIGURATION!" All this from two men out of a crowd of twenty. One lousy drunken idiot and his chum ruin the image of other archaeology fans. Carbon dating report from the lab updates on TV, read by a man employed because they've been following the beautiful science since they were a boy. The drunk chimes in again. "WHAT PHARAOH'S REIGN DID YOU SAY? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SAYS ABOUT THE UNDERPINNINGS OF OUR THEORY OF AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT OF 4TH BC EGYPT? GET IN, MATE!" A cheer cascades through the building and you can only wonder why.

Best go home and avoid anyone who might be drinking and singing. You once met a disagreeable chap who threatened to beat you up because you didn't watch the archaeology. "Not a late paleolithic era supporter are you? Think you're better than me? I'll have you, you scrawny tw*t!"

To bed. To repeat the cycle tomorrow. The inescapable, inevitability that wherever you go, someone, somewhere, is just dying to talk to you about the archaeology.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow I wish every fan an enjoyable worldcup and good luck!

P.S.: Luckily in Germany we are consuming a lot of beer when watching soccer. So even for me it becomes bearable that way ;-)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:56 am 

doctor twist wrote:
P.S.: Luckily in Germany we are consuming a lot of beer when watching soccer. So even for me it becomes bearable that way ;-)
First of all, everybody talked about football. :wink: Europeans only participated in this high sophisticated discussion. (Good luck to England BTW!)

Maybe, bearable was a typo and you wanted to write "beerable"?:lol:

I'm not the big fan either, but I know that Claus is - a big fan of Red.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:35 am 

Aha, you are talking about the Belgian Red Devils. :twisted:

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/
For sale : 1more Puzzle - Triangle & 1more Puzzle - Cubylon

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:42 am 

@doctor twist: I think Tony might be an archaeologist by profession (right, Tony?), so he may prefer to hear about that than football! :lol:

Last edited by KelvinS on Wed May 21, 2014 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:26 am 

Oh, well I prefer archeology over football (never understood what the fuss is about).
Maybe because I have also a job dealing with old stuff. :wink:

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/
For sale : 1more Puzzle - Triangle & 1more Puzzle - Cubylon

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:31 am 

doctor twist wrote:
To bed. To repeat the cycle tomorrow. The inescapable, inevitability that wherever you go, someone, somewhere, is just dying to talk to you about the archaeology.

As a reluctant archaeologist who spent 20 years listening to other people fanatically talk about broken pottery, flints and damn post holes every second of the day your post is one of the most apt things I have ever read.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:28 am 

Konrad wrote:
Claus, gratulations!

When clauswe reads this, he will know what I mean. Pantazis as well.
For everybody else it will probably remain a puzzle what I'm talking about.

Anyway, it was a bit of luck, but we are happy tonight :D

Oh yes, red is absolutely great. And next year, it will be even greater with our new striker!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.