Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: meffert's and adam Ghost Cube
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:22 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
Waiting till they get out of pre-order. Been bitten by that one too many times ;)

Just wondering what are some problems you may have had with preorders. Since this might be my first time with preorders to take advantage of the lower prices lol.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:14 am 

Pre-orders' waiting time is the main argument for me. I buy something, pay for it with paypal and 45 days of coverage starts counting. With long pre-order waiting times it can easily get to those 45 days without the puzzle even being sent. I have to also factor in that most shipments from abroad take 2 to 3 weeks to get here.

Of course I can open a dispute to lengthen that period a bit, but that doesn't really "feel good" towards the seller if you catch my drift.

Suppose I wait out that 45 day period and it gets sent but never arrives, then it is byebye coverage and I am left with the kindness of a seller to refund me. Or not.

I have waited out the period before, but trust me, it is not a fun feeling to know you have nothing customer protection wise to fall back on anymore if something goes awry and with my minimum income even $20 is a big loss.

Simply not taking that chance anymore. And a lot of the time prices DO go down ;) And if they don't then no big loss, my peace of mind is more important to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:57 am 

I purchased mine from the Jade Clube which, as I mentioned above somewhere, did not indicate that it was a pre-order. If I had known I would not have ordered it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:03 am 

I also purchased from Jade club, with no mention of it being a pre-order. I find this pretty frustrating as well as misleading.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:35 am 

On both know store and mefferts it says it is a preorder. I cannot say if it says that on jadeclub as I am not a member. It stated from day one that the two I mentioned were preorders.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:39 am 

It was listed on the Jade Club site a day or two before the other sites and I had already placed my order before it showed up outside of the Jade Club. It is not uncommon for Jade Club orders to go out first, that is actually one of the benefits of the Jade Club.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:33 pm 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
Pre-orders' waiting time is the main argument for me. I buy something, pay for it with paypal and 45 days of coverage starts counting. With long pre-order waiting times it can easily get to those 45 days without the puzzle even being sent. I have to also factor in that most shipments from abroad take 2 to 3 weeks to get here.

Of course I can open a dispute to lengthen that period a bit, but that doesn't really "feel good" towards the seller if you catch my drift.

Suppose I wait out that 45 day period and it gets sent but never arrives, then it is byebye coverage and I am left with the kindness of a seller to refund me. Or not.

I have waited out the period before, but trust me, it is not a fun feeling to know you have nothing customer protection wise to fall back on anymore if something goes awry and with my minimum income even $20 is a big loss.

Simply not taking that chance anymore. And a lot of the time prices DO go down ;) And if they don't then no big loss, my peace of mind is more important to me.

Ahh I see, it about the consumer protection that you are worried about. Won't getting a tracking number help with missing orders. Tracking numbers, at least for me, gives me a sense of piece of mind because I know where the cube are and if they have been sent out or not. I thought you mean pre-order cubes can come with defects or made with lower quality plastic and etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:38 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
It was listed on the Jade Club site a day or two before the other sites and I had already placed my order before it showed up outside of the Jade Club. It is not uncommon for Jade Club orders to go out first, that is actually one of the benefits of the Jade Club.

What is the Jade Club? How can someone join? Is it free? I am kind of interested if they get their orders first lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:02 pm 

Tracking numbers won't help one bit with the 45 days coverage. Last time I HAD a tracking number, it got sent even after the 45 days were gone.

Not doing that again, not good for my nerves.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:00 pm 

I have never received a tracking number or even a shipping notice by email from the Jade Club.
wrathofgods54 wrote:
What is the Jade Club? How can someone join? Is it free? I am kind of interested if they get their orders first lol
The Jade Club is invite only and you have to buy a "Jade Club" puzzle to join. See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16102&start=0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:39 pm 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
Tracking numbers won't help one bit with the 45 days coverage. Last time I HAD a tracking number, it got sent even after the 45 days were gone.

Not doing that again, not good for my nerves.

lol ok,maybe its different for everyone. Hope you did receive your stuff in the end with no problem.

Volitar Prime wrote:
The Jade Club is invite only and you have to buy a "Jade Club" puzzle to join. See http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopi ... 02&start=0

Ok, Thanks for linking me to the tread for info :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:56 am 

Yes I did, but it simply isn't worth it to me to do it again. The price advantage is negligible in most cases.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:57 am 

The wait time and not knowing when my order shipped or where the package currently is has never really bothered me when importing from East Asia, though I do have to wonder why PayPal doesn't start protection at time of shipping rather than time of payment or allow for payment to be delayed until shipping.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:21 am 

When dealing with Mefferts or HKnowstore I don't need any further protection.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:44 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
When dealing with Mefferts or HKnowstore I don't need any further protection.

Those are exactly my thoughts as well. These are two of the top puzzle stores. I don't think they would dissapoint us with something so very wanted in the puzzling community.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:07 am 

So is there any new info as to when these will be sent out?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:33 am 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
I talked with Uwe, and the Ghost Cube pre-orders should start shipping out in about a week.

Happy Puzzling!

Adam

Any day now according to this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 pm 

Yeah I saw that. I was just wondering if anyone had confirmed that they had been sent. This is my first time ordering from Mefferts so I am new to their process as far as shipping goes. Guess I'll just be surprised one of these days!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:42 am 

Caleb Cox wrote:
Yeah I saw that. I was just wondering if anyone had confirmed that they had been sent. This is my first time ordering from Mefferts so I am new to their process as far as shipping goes. Guess I'll just be surprised one of these days!

Same for me. Usually I order puzzles from hknowstore or lightake, and once from witeden so far. This is my first order from Mefferts, since their Pre-Order of Ghost Cubes where the first one announced. (I will be honest, if I knew hknowstore would have them as pre-order as well later on, before the "pre-order" part were to be removed, I would just have ordered from them instead of Mefferts.)

With the order from Mefferts my main surprise/concern was that you don't have to set up your address anywhere and when you've selected free-shipping (without tracking number) you also don't get an e-mail from them you've placed an order. Only e-mail I had was from PayPall itself mentioning I had transferred money to Mefferts.

So same as you, I (hopefully) will be surprised soon. :)

If anyone know for fact when the "pre-order" part were to be removed and they start shipping I (and a lot of others) would appreciate it. That gives me some indication of when to aspect the Ghost Cube here in The Netherlands. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:52 pm 

I have never received any order confirmation emails or shipping notification emails (with or without tracking numbers) from Meffert’s or the Jade Club. The puzzles just show up in my mail box. Many times I’ve received puzzles from the Jade Club before the “pre-order” status was changed on other sites as Meffert’s tends to send out Jade Club orders first.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:02 pm 

Uhm.. but what good does a tracking number do then if you never get the email with the number in it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:35 pm 

Whenever I have requested confirmation an order was placed Mefferts provided it. Now I don't worry as long as I have the paypal (or electronic payment invoice/receipt). Mefferts have always accepted this as evidence an order was placed, and in any case I have only ever had one delivery from Mefferts fail, and they happily replaced the item.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:02 pm 

Just don't worry. :)
I have placed during the last 15 years well over a hundred orders at Meffert's.
Not one of them failed at the end (Only once they had to resend a puzzle because it got somehow lost. That happened years ago.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:05 pm 

Thanks Konrad!

I am just keeping those 45 days in check for my own comfort zone, as I just stepped out of it again for that blue ghost :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:31 am 

I preordered the stickered and metallic versions the day I saw the emails, but they were separate orders. Are they going to be shipped together? I don't want Meffert to have to pay double shipping.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:58 am 

^By e-mailing the address Meffert posted(I think it was in the thread for the Metalized cubes) with your PayPal transaction ids, you can have the shipments combined. That is, provided the stickered set isn't already in the shipping queue(today's Meffert's newsletter announced that stickered sets have started shipping with Metalized sets slated for shipping at the end of the month. I combined my orders because I wanted to upgrade to EMS shipping without paying for two orders(and my main reason for e-mailing was because I couldn't order from the JadeClub website and had to manually request my discount).

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:28 am 

I have just, surprisingly, received a tracking number from mefferts, that I wasn't expecting, and tracking it says the parcel left Hong Kong on the 12th, so it should be here within a few days :)

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:51 am 

martywolfman wrote:
I have just, surprisingly, received a tracking number from mefferts, that I wasn't expecting, and tracking it says the parcel left Hong Kong on the 12th, so it should be here within a few days :)

Did you order from Mefferts or Jade club?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:58 am 

Mefferts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:51 am 

Look what arrived today! Nice.
Attachment:
File comment: Ghost Cubes x 5
Ghosts x 5.png
Ghosts x 5.png [ 5.32 MiB | Viewed 2913 times ]

They all have a nice heft to them and turn great. All the pieces are capped (I think) which makes for a lot of moulded pieces for a 3x3x3.
Attachment:
File comment: Ghost Pieces
Ghost pieces.png
Ghost pieces.png [ 4.02 MiB | Viewed 2913 times ]

I can't wait for the metallic versions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:29 pm 

I just received mine today. They are ALL signed, and I am going to have a hard time opening any since it looks like the signature could rub off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:42 pm 

Time for signature protector stickers! :) Would be a shame to see them rub off after all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:35 pm 

Yep, I've put the signature protectors on 2 of mine, after the first one I played with wore it away somewhat, the other 2 won't get played with until I get some more - since I ran ouy putting it on 3 :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:15 pm 

Mine single black with white stickers came today. It came in a nice red felt bag which I accidentally cut the draw strings for when I used some scissors to cut open the envelope it was mailed in :oops:

I'm going to want to eventually replace the stickers. They really are too small and many are poorly placed on the puzzle.

I was surprised to see how large the rounding for the edges is.

Here are a couple of pictures of it compared to one of Adam's originals (on the left).

Attachments:
ghosts.jpg
ghosts.jpg [ 147.33 KiB | Viewed 2707 times ]
ghosts scrambled.jpg
ghosts scrambled.jpg [ 125.34 KiB | Viewed 2707 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:53 am 

This rounding and large area between pieces is the exact reason why I didn't jump for them when they first came out. The metalized however doesn't require stickers as it is beautiful on its own, so I did go for that one.

But I am a bit sad to see the deep cut out bits on these stickered ones, especially compared to how nice the original fits all around.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:56 pm 

Volitar, when you get to replacing the stickers on your black one, can you take a picture of the puzzle with no stickers at all? Preferably scrambled, but I won't blame you if you don't want to. :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:39 pm 

I'm curious how a multi-coloured, non-metallic version would be like.

I like the ghost cube, don't own one, but I like what other things it has led to (higher order ghost puzzles namely). I haven't really had time lately to talk about this puzzle (school, wisdom teeth removal, and a few more things) but would like to mention that a multi-coloured ghost cube would look quite fun in my opinion.

Now my question is how would a multi-coloured ghost cube look? I know the point of it was to be 2 colours (or one excluding stickers), but I wonder how a multi-coloured one would look (ie: stickerless cube with stickers on it with the inverted colour of the plastic)

On a less related note, I'm curious on the 2x2 by Meffert's and Adam. I PM'd Adam about the mech, but I'm wondering more how well it CAN be and what it CAN get to using his mysterious mechanism (I really want to see this if you can't tell yet)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:21 pm 

NXTgen wrote:
I'm curious how a multi-coloured, non-metallic version would be like.

I like the ghost cube, don't own one, but I like what other things it has led to (higher order ghost puzzles namely). I haven't really had time lately to talk about this puzzle (school, wisdom teeth removal, and a few more things) but would like to mention that a multi-coloured ghost cube would look quite fun in my opinion.

Now my question is how would a multi-coloured ghost cube look? I know the point of it was to be 2 colours (or one excluding stickers), but I wonder how a multi-coloured one would look (ie: stickerless cube with stickers on it with the inverted colour of the plastic)

On a less related note, I'm curious on the 2x2 by Meffert's and Adam. I PM'd Adam about the mech, but I'm wondering more how well it CAN be and what it CAN get to using his mysterious mechanism (I really want to see this if you can't tell yet)

Do you mean something like what redkb did with the metallic ghost cubes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5YViLxosLM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:35 pm 

wrathofgods54 wrote:
Do you mean something like what redkb did with the metallic ghost cubes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5YViLxosLM

I saw this, a little bit ago, but it isn't quite what I had in mind. I mean 6 coloured plastic (scheme is a problem alone) with the plastic's colour inverted like this plastic colour with this colour sticker and other colours. It would be fun to see it, but I then remembered how the moulds would need to change as well... But it would be fun to see it.

Think stickerless puzzles, with inverted coloured stickers based on the plastic colour they are placed on (ie: yellow cannot be on the example I gave)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:54 pm 

Am I the only one in America that hasn't received their package yet? It gets worse every day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:57 pm 

Caleb Cox wrote:
the only one in America that hasn't received their package yet? It gets worse every day.

You've got a new friend! :lol: Well I hope it comes in two weeks. I hope... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:36 pm 

Ghost_Cake wrote:
Caleb Cox wrote:
the only one in America that hasn't received their package yet? It gets worse every day.

You've got a new friend! :lol: Well I hope it comes in two weeks. I hope... :oops:

I just received mine today and I live in New York yours will probably come soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:36 am 

I havent received mine yet either, I ordered from hknowstore and tracking doesn;t even work yet...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:21 am 

All Ghost Cubes are sold out on the hknowstore website but are still available on Mefferts - I wonder if Calvin will restock them or if the run is extremely small? They seem to have sold out quickly as they are only shipping for a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:26 am 

I just got mine today. :D
It's a really beautiful puzzle! And really hard for a 3x3x3, I put almost an hour to solve it! :P
With slightly larger stickers it will be perfect!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:48 am 

I live in Canada, and I happily received mine yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 am 

Are these just the stickered versions? Or has anyone received a metallic version yet?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 am 

mine are the stickered, I havn't seen anyone receive the metallic ones yet.
I also believe that there was talk of retooling the molds, so they may have been set back a bit.
They were also announced a short while after the stickered, so it would make sense that at the earliest, it will be a few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:55 am 

I remember hearing end of April as the shipping estimate for the Metal Ghosts. For those still waiting, my experience with ordering straight from Mefferts is that the free shipping to North Carolina can take over a month while EMS takes less than a week. Keep that in mind if you ordered with Meffert's free shipping and haven't gotten you sticked ghosts yet.

I requested all my Ghost Cubes be shipped together so I only had to pay for EMS once, So I expect to get mine early in May provided there are no further delays on the Metal Ghosts.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:04 am 

As long as mine gets here before the 13th of May there will be no issues :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next