Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Selling Crazy2face Crazy3face CrazyB4cube kits
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:10 am 

AndyChilly wrote:
The question is; Now my Crazy Cube Earth has been made redundant, what do I do with it? Spares for the kit? Use it to make a second puzzle to have on the go also? Create my first mod? hmmmm

Definitely a combo of using it for a second puzzle and spares. With so many puzzles possible, you're going to want multiple puzzles and some added flexibility on what they can be.

I current have three Crazy 3x, two are coloured plastic opposing planets, the third is one of the Smaz kits with full sets of the two types of centers. This gives me 12 of each type, allowing me additional flexibility on what the third one is. I try to keep them at spread out on the ring of planets, so that if I want to have a particular planet I can always make it quickly. Mars is a particularly good place to have one puzzle sitting on because it's the major hub... one swap away from four different planets, two away from the other three.

themathkid wrote:
There are some center types that are absent from the kit. You could use your Earth centers to make some of the missing ones!

I haven't received mine yet, but I am pretty sure I that the kit contains one type of center I'm interested in, with strong hopes that it will contain a particular other one. I'm also pretty sure I know of one type of center that's not in there, though... although I'm more than willing to be surprised, because it looks interesting to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:34 am 

At the moment, I'm thinking about a Saturday reveal. So far I have 7 people who need to receive their kits. I presume some people might not notify me for one reason or another. Maybe we will have a few more arrivals in the next few days?

I will let out some teasers, in light of the recent discussion, for those who haven't got them yet :) :

There are actually..
8 face types
9 different forms of bandaging, and
10 separate elements

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:55 am 

themathkid wrote:

There are some centre types that are absent from the kit. You could use your Earth centres to make some of the missing ones!

Haha Burgo was going to pounce there. As I'm pretty sure he triple checked every kit :D

I know what you mean, though. And yea, I have considered that though a small tutorial wouldn't go amiss at some stage, Burgo though it looks pretty self exPLANETory ....

Do you see what I did there?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:56 am 

I did triple check every kit, but I'm only human, and if I have made any mistakes I'll do my best to fix them :) .

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:26 am 

Burgo wrote:
I did triple check every kit, but I'm only human, and if I have made any mistakes I'll do my best to fix them :) .

I'm pretty sure I asked for money to be used instead of shredded paper in my Kit, but I will accept it in the form of a cheque!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 am 

Burgo wrote:
At the moment, I'm thinking about a Saturday reveal. So far I have 7 people who need to receive their kits. I presume some people might not notify me for one reason or another. Maybe we will have a few more arrivals in the next few days?

Notification will arrive, but I had in the past inexplicable delays receiving packages. I know package entered my country (ita) on 19-Oct but still hasn't been delivered to me.

Burgo wrote:
I will let out some teasers, in light of the recent discussion, for those who haven't got them yet :) :
There are actually..
8 face types
9 different forms of bandaging, and
10 separate elements

Whaaat?? :shock: Looks like this will be the master of all kits.
Won't resist peeking into the "revelation" posts, this is sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:17 am 

I have another teaser for those who haven't received their puzzles yet, and something to look at in hindsight for those who have received their puzzles:

In the first post in the solving thread, under the nomenclature, there is a rather large and not so subtle hint, to one of the unrevealed aspects of the CrazyB4cube kit! (It's been there for months :shock: )

Cheers,
Burgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:02 am 

Here's an unboxing and review of the kit. :)

It's over 30 minutes long but I think that length is justified given the nature of the kit.

I hope others who receive the kits will also make their own video or blog reviews of it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:11 pm 

rline wrote:
Here's an unboxing and review of the kit. :)

It's over 30 minutes long but I think that length is justified given the nature of the kit.

I hope others who receive the kits will also make their own video or blog reviews of it.

I have watched the video, and for the people who do not own this kit, it really makes everything clear about this kit. I think most of us have read the threads about this concept, and understand what everything is (face-types and such), but to see it explained with a video accompanying it is just a totally different experience.

I highly recommend everyone to watch this video!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:13 pm 

Today, I have got my kit!
Actually, it is a gift from Burgo. Thank you very much, my friend! :D
A counterattack is on its way! :lol: :lol:

When he announced that he planned to send this gift, I had a very general understanding of rline's idea and Burgo's extension(s).
I know, how much work it was to make these kits!!!
18 kits, one for him and 17 shipped to his customers - including me.

I have to admit that I still need to thoroughly read the nomenclature in the first post and get a better understanding of everything.
One thing is clear, though, this puzzle can easily cover the rest of my (puzzling) life!
Somebody else had said it in similar words:
Only Burgo could make an already complex puzzle (Dayan's 333 planets + rline's 2face idea) insanely more complex!!!

The kit arrived while I'm reconstructing my Windows 8 laptop (It came back from a repair in the original factory state). That was a difficult decision: Should I have a close look at the kit or finish my computer project?
As you can see, something works already on this laptop (I'm sitting at it), but there remains a lot to do.
And a lot more remains to do with the kit.

I started by revisiting planet Saturn (the simple one with 0faces and 1faces only :lol: ).
It is incredible how much I have forgotten, already.
It took some time. I had taken some rudimentary notes, because everything seemed perfectly clear almost three years ago :lol: :lol:
(For the Crazy newbies: I had started the original thread in May 2010.

I don't know, if I share this experience with others: What seems to be clear now will be a complete mystery two years later.
I think I can easily stop collecting new puzzles and solve my existing ones in a round-robin fashion.

Good luck to everybody!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:36 pm 

In fact I did't resist reading.

Burgo you are a Boss.
An amazing work you did and so much effort for all the documents! I still did't have the chance to "touch" the actual kit but already feel I got a masterpiece from you!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:49 pm 

Are there any extra kits? I'd be interested in purchasing one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:37 pm 

Hi Littlewing,

Sorry, there are none left, I made them to order. It was a quick and short run of puzzles, and I made them very cheap to get things started.

I have been putting people who send me a PM on a temporary list that I'm keeping. I'll probably try to do something over Christmas, so I'll be back in touch with them. It will be an expanded kit and it will be more expensive, but so far I'm not sure on a price. It won't be too expensive in comparison to the base puzzles (remember the base puzzles in the first run were worth $75! and with an expanded kit, the base puzzles could be over $100, just for the base puzzles).

I'm just one guy, trying to make a few things for people in the backyard, so it's helpful to gauge the scope of the project first, it could be easy to be overwhelmed with orders otherwise.

I've put you on the temporary list :) .

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:57 am 

Do you have an idea of what you would charge for the expansion pack if people have already bought your kit?

Maybe I am way ahead of myself. Are we not there yet? :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:46 am 

I have no idea yet Andy.. I think I might have more options.. like: The modified centres are really time heavy, an option without modified centres would be a way to get costs down. I'm going to have to think about how I'll present it. I want it to be accessible and interesting too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:39 am 

Hi friends,

This is probably starting to well belong in New Puzzles, but I don't want to make a million threads about the same series, so I'll keep plugging along here.

I have some new centres to add tonight, and I was worried that things would be getting lost and confusing in the Nomenclature thread, so I have collected them all in one post (along with the 2 new ones- the cCface and C5Rface):
Attachment:
Xface & Rface centres.jpg
Xface & Rface centres.jpg [ 455.35 KiB | Viewed 3929 times ]

Xcentre & Rface Video:
http://youtu.be/9lVdwg671DI

Attachment:
CRface.jpg
CRface.jpg [ 836.28 KiB | Viewed 3929 times ]

CRface Video:
http://youtu.be/e_J8XNYPc-s

Attachment:
cCface C5Rface.jpg
cCface C5Rface.jpg [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 3929 times ]
NEW today
cCface C5Rface Video:
http://youtu.be/SiC8i8MB1g0

I have been talking to somebody about this and it looks like we should be able to get the full scope of the kits to you, much more efficiently and reasonably priced than I first hoped :) .

Cheers,
Burgo.

Post subject: Re: Selling Crazy2face CrazyB4cube kits
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:52 pm 

Hi Crazies,

I've been working behind the scenes with TomZ to bring out another Crazy2face + CrazyB4cube kit.

TomZ is designing my new centres in SW so that we can get them efficiently made. This will allow me to include all centre combinations for every face! That's 6X every face type!! And for a reasonable price, that I couldn't achieve with hand modification. A slightly new design will mean less disassembly to exchange parts too.

I will be using MF8's latest Crazy2face sets to make the puzzles and I will ONLY be making full kits, not B4standalones. This is the only way I can make the price acceptable.

I will make an expansion kit available to previous customers, this will make their kit the same as the newer `full kit`. Their total price: `$100 (original price) + expansion kit price` will not be more than the `new kit price`. I will look after you if you want to upgrade :) .

The kits will have MORE B4block bandaging also, and now the total puzzles that the kit will be made from will be `4 base puzzles`!

I haven't got a total price yet because the SW component is unknown. But the price will be very fair and reasonable. I have a number of new procedures especially designed to increase production and keep the price down.

The expected dates for construction will be between late December and Early January, in my holidays.

Please PM me if you're interested, so I can begin assessing numbers.

Cheers,
Burgo :) .

Last edited by Burgo on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:01 pm 

Absolutely awesome news, Burgo :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:48 am 

Just posted a short video telling all about the Version 2 Crazy 2Face / B4 kit. If you've been wanting one, take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1jylwLr6cE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:48 pm 

Hi all,

I will just state my thoughts about some of the discussion in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26325 just so people know my opinions, and hopefully that will be enough (and I’ll use the opportunity as a bit of a chance to give some progress on the kits):

It’s my opinion that, it’s likely that rline’s initial idea, presented in March, here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25257 had some influence to inspire MF8 to move to production, in November here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26156 Most of the molds were already made and only a modification of 2 additional parts were needed. This isn’t an accusation, it’s just my thoughts, and it’s great that MF8 want to make the puzzles that people want to have.

MF8 and myself had no idea about each other’s intentions in bringing our items to market. It was a complete coincidence that they were released within a week of each other. Even though I had offered my kits for sale months before, I have no expectations that MF8 would know of my marketplace posts on TP. I had a small, friendly conversation with MF8 about it at the time.

The similarity of some of Calvin’s 335 puzzles with 5faces are a coincidence, and we were obviously developing similar things independently. I don’t see 5faces as a huge jump from a 335, the only relevance is that they have been adapted to the Circle Cube format. Likewise, I wouldn’t see adding 335 faces to a CrazyB4cube as a huge jump either, just as Supering the Inner Circle Cube aspects.

MF8 was the first to come up with the idea of the 2face on the Crazy Tetrahedrons, and rline was the first to apply it to the Circle Cube. From a solver’s perspective, it’s a vastly better fit with the cubes. It’s not a huge jump, but it was an inspired, and inspirational one. And it certainly inspired my additional components.. I came up with the additional ideas for the CrazyB4cube kit while I was modding my own first Crazy2face kit.

I have made sure that rline receives something out of the production of my kits.

It’s not my goal to make a huge profit out of this, I see what I’m doing as more of a service to the community. I’ve recently made a pretty big financial commitment to this project, and I am a bit nervous about it, and I hope it comes off well, because I can’t even name a final price yet. If this was intended as a business for profit, I would be crazy. But it’s a price I’m prepared to put on doing things for people, and a lot of others in this community do that, so I’m nothing more than `in good company`.

As a bit of an update, I’ve purchased the puzzles, the stickers, and other materials for the project. I’ve had to do it that way because I still can’t give a final price, so hopefully it will still be affordable for those who have made expressions of interest. I’ll do my best to keep it affordable, or I could be in a bit of trouble.

About 95% of people who bought the first kit have said they want the upgrade, so that’s encouraging for me. I will be getting them a full set of the new stickers at my expense with their upgrade kit, so they can replace all previous stickers or have spares. There will be a full sticker set with all kits, again made by Cubesmith.

I am still working for a Christmas – January timeframe. I’m still really excited about the project. At the moment I still don’t require any payments, because I don’t know a final price, so I am taking the purchasing on myself this time. Thanks for your support. I have about 7 kits left for reserve.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:47 pm 

I have a few updates.

In the kit there will be:

2x MF8 Crazy2face puzzles (to make all Crazy2face cubes).
2x MF8 puzzles worth of hand modded B4bandaging
14x 6 centre types, made in SW, MP, and hand modded (estimated)
A new centre design to make reassembly more efficient, hybrid SW
A complete redesigned sticker set from Cubesmith

Here is the B4bandaging parts template. The comparison is: The darker pink is the old kit, the new kit is the dark pink + the light pink, the red will be a few spare stickers on the sticker sheet.
Attachment:
crazyB4cube parts comparison.jpg
crazyB4cube parts comparison.jpg [ 912.08 KiB | Viewed 3414 times ]
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:14 pm 

I just had an idea, and I haven't organised any of it yet, and it would need organising very quickly, so if anyone is interested then you would want to get a PM off to me ASAP.

If anyone wants a `full 6 colour B4bandaging set`.. either with Pink as well, or without it. That's a possibility. My estimate is that it would be:

Full: Around `$250 more than the kit price`, for a 6 colour bandaging set (and stickers) added to the kit (all B4pink bandaging + all 6 colour bandaging).

Part: Around `$170 more than the kit price`, for the 6 colours, but `no B4pink pieces`.

I won't be able to physically do many of either type. It's my estimate that there will be 5-6 base puzzles in it, and a very inefficient use of stickers.. 6 sets are needed. They're expensive, so I wouldn't expect many will want them anyway, so it's not worth changing any sticker templates. I'm only offering them because I can see that it's possible if there's someone who wants something special.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:46 am 

I've had a few questions about clarifying my vision for this in PMs. It's just a bit of an afterthought, and if anyone's serious about it I'll make it fit your requirements.
Attachment:
crazyB4cube 6colour template.jpg
crazyB4cube 6colour template.jpg [ 571.39 KiB | Viewed 3391 times ]
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Which is 150 `additional` coloured B4bandaging pieces.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:18 am 

150!!!! :shock:

Unfortunately this will be beyond my price range for sure, but still...wow!

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:17 am 

Just to let people know, I've hit my limit of available puzzles from my base puzzle orders.

How it will work is that I will hold the people who are on the list as a priority. There are a few people on the list who have said that they may not be able to afford it. It might be possible to still get a kit if someone pulls out when the price is announced. So if you are interested, then I'll keep a reserve list, that may become a starting point for a future run (sometime- no immediate promises) if I get enough interest. It's important to me that people have access to these puzzles if they want them :) .

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:06 am 

The 6 colour Bandaging kit would be amazing, but Its well out of my means so I will have to opt out of the additional, but still very interested on the exapansion kit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:23 pm 

Hi Puzzlers,

This is just a quick update, to let you all know why I'm a bit inactive on the forum recently:

I now have all of the base puzzles, the last package arrived this morning!
I've had enough base puzzles to keep me busy though, and I've been working hard on the hand mods, and it's all starting to take form and it looks very exciting. Some late nights have been had, and there's many more ahead of me :) .
I don't have any advice yet about the SW elements, so unfortunately I still can't name a price, but I'm confident this will be fine.

I'm aiming to fill everyone's orders, even those on reserve lists.
I'm hoping people are still as enthusiastic about the kits as I am to make it happen for you :D .

Cheers,
Jason.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:59 pm 

Enthusiasm is still here!
I have taken a pause from B4 planets because I had other pending activities (puzzles and not) that could have been put on hold indefinitely sticking only on this kit, something from the list:
- solving Eitan's star (Konrad if you are reading you can put me on the solver's list but i have no proof other than my words)
- solving Dayan gem I and jing pyraminx (nothing to go proud of :oops: )
- solving FTO
- solving skewb extreme
- solving mastermorphix (what a nice 3x3 shapemod)
- solving curvy starminx
- stickering radio cube 3
- stickering 30 colors megaminx (Thanks to Pete for bringing a ready nice pattern)
- stickering 8 Bermuda minx (uff :roll: )
- Christmas holidays and real life

and i still have a bunch of puzzles to touch (hexaminx, d gems, ghosts cubes, the list goes on... :shock: )

But B4 kits are always on my mind AND list, thank you Burgo for all your work!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:25 pm 

Can you give an estimate on the price, even if it is only accurate to within $40-$50 USD? Also, can you give us an approximate date as to when the production will be complete? I need to know these things in order to know whether or not it is feasible to get one of these.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:04 pm 

Hi BelcherBoy2000,

A lot of people would like details about the price, myself included because I’m taking the biggest risk.

I’m not trying to be cryptic, I’ve been as transparent as possible in every way. And I will continue to do so as soon as I get a price for you. Unfortunately there is no way I can even hazard a guess at the SW costs. The last thing I want to do is give a price and then have to increase it later. The other costs are fairly easy to see. Whatever happens though I’ll do `something` to make it affordable, don’t worry.

If the SW costs are prohibitive, I’ll make an option to have 1/2 the SW parts, or something to keep the kit affordable.

In order to meet the needs of the reserve list I have begun using some of the `C2f Base Puzzles` that I intended to include in the kits. So what this means is that I might just include 1 `whole C2f puzzle` in the kits, and require purchasers to buy the other from HKNow or such. Which one (4 circle faces or 2 circle faces) will depend on what my leftovers are, so I’ll let you know what happens in the end. This is mostly just to get puzzles to people who otherwise would miss out.

Be aware, I am making a limited amount of puzzles for people on the list. If I have leftover kits because people back out, which is fine because I’ve made it possible to back out, then I will sell those kits, perhaps on ebay, perhaps privately. In the end, the list is just how I determined to calculate the numbers to make sure everyone has an opportunity.

If anyone wants a kit, then you had better let me know promptly. There may be some things like buying the stickers directly yourself and such though. Or maybe getting the kit a bit later or something. But you really need to speak up if you want one, and I’ll try to accommodate it. But I can't spend too much time here, I'm very busy building.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:53 am 

Obviously I am interested and I know you will create something amazing for those of us that have already bought the original kit. It is still currently my most used puzzle.

With what I have I will still be busy for a long time so I am not rushing you. I'm just happy there is still more to come :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:56 am 

Hi everyone,

I've got a slight update. Massive for me, and slight for you :lol: . I've finished all the hand modding. That's glueing, puttying, sanding, polishing, and whatever else I had to do to 2000 parts.

The hand modded parts + (any standard parts that will be stickered pink), that you will get in the kits, will be `the parts in the templates above^^`. This time all the parts are all hand polished instead of stickered. This will make for a superior product, and everything has come up very nice, except for my numb fingers :) . Stickering will be done by the customer this time, and I will make a `how to` example video.

The stickers are machine cut by Cubesmith and they will be included in the kits for you. There will be: All CrazyB4cube Pink stickers. All Circle cube 6 colour stickers. All Rubiks cube 6 colour stickers. And a `Full 6 colour set` for the Full 6 colour bandaging kits that have been ordered. So you'll get every sticker that you will need + a few spares. You won't need to use any MF8 stickers. In fact, Cubesmith has now redesigned their Circle Cube templates to remove all sharp points as a result of my collaboration with them during this project.

The CAD work for the SW parts is now being done by Carl Hoff. Tom was too busy and Carl graciously stepped up. Therefore, there is some small delay in the 3D printed aspect of the project. Because Carl is working under short notice there is absolutely no pressure on him as far as I'm concerned, it will be done when it's done. And, due to the size and expense of the SW order, I will need to make a test print before I commit to a full print, so that will take a bit of time too. I'll keep you updated as confirmed stages are completed, thanks for your patience.

Like I said before above^^, `to make a few more kits for extra people` I used some of the puzzles I was going to send out. Now: I will still send out 1 puzzle with each new kit (not with upgrade kits). The puzzle I will send out will be a 4-circle puzzle: http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/en-US/ ... 6a94a934a7 The matching one that customers will need to purchase themselves will be the 2-circle: http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/en-US/ ... 6f751f32f2 These 2 puzzles combined will make up the base Crazy2face puzzle (people with original kits already have these). It would be a nice gesture to use rline's affiliate link, from one of his sites, to purchase this puzzle, considering he is known as the inventor of the Crazy2face series.

Here is an example of some of the piece types (shiny :) ):
Attachment:
CrazyB4cube parts.jpg
CrazyB4cube parts.jpg [ 426.95 KiB | Viewed 2535 times ]
Attachment:
CrazyB4cube parts 2.jpg
CrazyB4cube parts 2.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 2535 times ]

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:29 am 

Those pieces look so professional.

I am very impressed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:14 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow, that looks so incredible and professional, and then imagining you doing that for fellow puzzlers, without making any real profit? Hats of to you, sir! You are insane in a great way, and extremely generous.

I'm sure everyone that's getting one of these kits will be super happy with it, because it can be clearly seen that you've put in a ton of effort, hard work and much, much love.

You, sir, are awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:27 pm 

Looks awesome Burgo! Really looking forward to playing with this :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:54 pm 

1NSAN3 wrote:
Wow, that looks so incredible and professional, and then imagining you doing that for fellow puzzlers, without making any real profit? Hats of to you, sir! You are insane in a great way, and extremely generous.
Thank you all so much for your kind words.

This time I'm hoping to have a bit more margin than last time, but yes, anything I hope to make will be insignificant to the time spent. I don't believe that I'm alone in this though. Most hand modders make things that they can never hope to be financially feasible. I personally own hand modded puzzles by a number of people that I greatly appreciate:

Jose made me a Rotaminx http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/pu ... ?pkey=3341
I bought Modern-Day Warrior's Megamorphix viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24394
Traiphum has made me a Rexamorphix and a Master Skewb Tetrahedron download/file.php?id=40478&mode=view
Tony's Locked Blocks viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26248
I have a few hand modded puzzles from Smaz, 336, mini Evil twins 3x3x3 download/file.php?id=27973&mode=view.

We all have our motivations. My main motivation is conversation. I'm a solver at heart, and I have an interest in beautiful looking hand modded puzzles, sure, but my main interest is solving, and having a shared solving experience and conversation. I found the CrazyB4cube puzzles through my search for interesting puzzles to solve. And there's just no point to me having these puzzles myself, and making posts about how wonderful and interesting they are, if no-one else has any idea of what I'm talking about, or doesn't have the capacity to make it themselves. So my motivation is `sharing the experience`. It could never be money, although some money does make you feel like you're appreciated, so it's a bit relevant, but it's not my motivation.

I think what I'm doing is sheer volume. The amount of parts is ridiculous. The smaller parts, like the inner circle parts are actually quite time consuming because they are fiddly and difficult to hold. With around 2000 parts, if I touch each part for 30 seconds, I'm still going 16 hours later. So I better make sure that `that step` is efficient. And I still want them to be nice, I want each part to be acceptable. That's the kind of thing I'm dealing with in practice.

What I think is interesting about what I'm trying to do, is combining hand modding with SW 3D printing. We've had a few `v's` conversations, but I think it's nice to have the innovation of combining both things to produce a puzzle that's a hand modded MP puzzle on the outside, and 3D printed internally. I think that's pretty cool.

The other thing that I think is great is: We've been advocating `kit form puzzles` for quite some time. And we get little response from manufacturers, who prefer to make `puzzles`. The closest we've got is the CT Bandaged 333 kit. We find it hard to classify a `kit` as an invention or a puzzle. I want to prove it to manufacturers that our community `really want puzzle kits`.

Cheers,
Burgo. :)

Attachments:
puzzle modder.jpg
puzzle modder.jpg [ 435.04 KiB | Viewed 2475 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:45 am 

Congratulations on getting this work completed!
Your efforts are well appreciated, and as for the price never catching up with the work, you are in great company with so many of our valued builders.

Dave :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:15 am 

Thanks Dave, and exactly right.. that's why I listed the hand mods I've received as a shout out. I mean, I always appreciated them, and always had an idea of the effort involved, but this has really given me a new appreciation. :D

More of an appreciation than pottering around making a puzzle every now and then for myself did.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:45 am 

I have one of the first batch of kits and they are wonderful. Really well made and finished.

I have not posted yet on the solving thread for these puzzles, but I have made up about 6 different variants of the Crazy Earth cube (my personal favourite) and always enjoy seeing how the pieces have been made (and modified) by Burgo.

This is the latest variant - which I cannot solve! I can get round the pink piece all the way to the last hurdle, but I cannot find a way to get it out of the way and do cycles away from the white and green faces. :evil:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/kgp9haholntevxo/Z6L322FJmn

Slightly off topic I know, but I wanted Burgo to know that all his hard work is appreciated, and anyone out there waiting for a kit is in for a treat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:42 am 

You should post on the solving thread a bit, because I'd love to hear your success. You're brave taking on the B4bandaging on the Earth. Have you tried reducing it to a RC with Andrea's method? I reckon that would be the go there.

Just watch putting the single cubies on the bandaged parts, not that it isn't strong, but it's stronger to use both pink sides together supporting each other.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:45 am 

This is just a small update, so that everybody knows the ball is still rolling, I have ordered all of the test parts from SW, and they have printed them and mailed them. As soon as I ensure they work, I'll order the whole lot, and then a price will be determined.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:10 am 

Thank you for all the updates and the work you are doing!
I'm slightly busy these weeks but I definitely longing for playing more with your kit!
I sincerely don't understand where you find the time to be so active dealing also with day to day office as you said you do :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 am 

I can't wait to buy this kit! I have been holding myself off from buying new puzzles in order to save for this. I just know that it will be great. Keep up all of the hard work, Burgo. And thanks to rline for the idea for the kit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:23 am 

Another small update: The parts arrived, and for the most part they are excellent, but a few small issues need some slight reworking. For the most part, these are things that involve `flexibility and fit`, that really needed a print to see. The parts all work, but they can be improved. There will be a second test print soon, and I'm very confident that we will be underway after that. As we always say.. Better to spend a bit more getting it right in the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am 

Awesome Burgo! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:20 am 

Small update, parts from the 2nd SW test print (and I'm pretty sure it will be the one) have been printed and shipped, I should have them soon. Many thanks to Carl for all his champion work and efforts!! Of which I will elaborate later.

Attachments:
shipped.jpg
shipped.jpg [ 121.75 KiB | Viewed 1826 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:01 pm 

Hi Friends,

There has been some time since my last post here, but be assured that even when it seems like there is nothing happening, usually there is much happening behind the scenes.

Over the last week for example, I've hand modded the additional components suggested by Seth, and organised stickers for them to be cut and shipped. I've also received the 3rd test kit and worked with Carl on the final adjustments to get the end result ready for printing.

The delays are from the CAD component. I completed the hand modding in January, and the stickers are all cut, and everything else is sitting here waiting for delivery.

There have been 3 test prints needed, and unfortunately, each test print costs me a month (and about 50 bucks). Shapeways takes about 8 days to print, another 8 days to ship, it takes me some time to analyse the print and have a conversation with Carl, Carl needs to find time to make the CAD adjustments, I need to order the next Test, and so on.

Carl has been fantastic, open, reliable and generous. He's allowed me to continue to drive the decision making, which is really helping me to learn about the intricacies of the process, and to feel like I still own the project. I really can't give him enough credit for what he is doing.

The main reason for needing to make all these tests is that the flexibility and tolerances of the Shapeways material is very hard to judge, and with such small components we're literally dealing with 10ths of millimetres. A slight adjustment in the core of the puzzle has larger effects when extrapolated out.

Hopefully too, people will now see the precision with which I had to hand mod the constraining components in the first kit by Dremel superglue and scalpel! I still can't believe I did that.

The short story is that we're pretty much done, all we need is to get the details of the final print sorted, and we'll be away.

What will happen>> When I get a final price, I will make an announcement, and there will be a certain amount of kits go for sale. There are only enough kits to fill the requests on my list, and I will privately PM everyone on the list, at that time, to make sure they get notice. If people on the list choose to buy them (with no obligation), then the kits will all be allocated. If they no longer want to purchase the kit, for whatever reason, then those kits may become available for people who aren't on my list, and if there are `left-overs` I will announce it.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Fantastic! I'd find it very hard to believe that someone would back out of the purchase. This is a fantastic opportunity to own something totally unique with limitless possibilities.

Even though I've put the original version down for a while, I intend to go back to it frequently! I do seem to have a bit of a backlog of other puzzles to solve! I've got about 40 waiting for me on my desk and shelf just now! :oops: :oops:

Thanks again for all your hard work!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 am 

Awesome Burgo! Good to hear that everything is still progressing :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:33 am 

Thanks Guys,

It's been a huge journey and it's nice to hear the support. :D

Just to give you `some idea` of what it's been like behind the scenes, Carl and I have exchanged about 120 emails since January (my email service keeps count automatically), and most of them have diagrams photographs and attachments. Like I said before, he has been amazing.

I just re-read my post and it sounds a bit `exclusive`, and I haven't ever meant it to be like that, it's just that as many people wanted them as I was prepared to make, so in the end I had no left overs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next