Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Solving the Crazy2face CrazyB4cube series
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:32 am 

Andy's Labyrinth V2

I just knocked over the harder version, it was pretty challenging (the part that made it hard was that one last red 2face piece on the BWRcorner, if that was a circle piece it would be much easier):

Attachments:
hard version.jpg
hard version.jpg [ 486.74 KiB | Viewed 1205 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Last edited by Burgo on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:26 pm 

Next puzzle in the series:

Seth's Disassembly
Attachment:
CrazyB4cubeEarthW.jpg
CrazyB4cubeEarthW.jpg [ 308.72 KiB | Viewed 1152 times ]
Attachment:
CrazyB4cubeEarthW pic.jpg
CrazyB4cubeEarthW pic.jpg [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 1152 times ]
This puzzle has a few harder variants, and a bit of a story, which I'll reveal later.

Cheers,
Burgo.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Last edited by Burgo on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:32 pm 

Ha har.. `Seth's Disassembly` complete! The difficulties were in the beginning.. after a while the solve opened up into more of an `open` solve, and then it had a little kick in the ending.. Nice.
Attachment:
finished.jpg
finished.jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 1132 times ]

Last edited by Burgo on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:07 pm 

Oh, wow, look at me having a conversation with myself here.. oh well, I promised to release some puzzles, so I'll continue:

Burgo's Battleaxe

This one's just the kind of puzzle I try to invent, it's PERFECT!! I finally had time to sit down with it this morning and, wow, I solved it! It took a huge effort to get there, and every part of the solve was challenging.

I hope you enjoy it if you make it.
Attachment:
CrazyB4cube EarthWO B4b.jpg
CrazyB4cube EarthWO B4b.jpg [ 338.72 KiB | Viewed 1085 times ]
Attachment:
solving.jpg
solving.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 1085 times ]

Last edited by Burgo on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:25 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Next puzzle in the series:
Attachment:
CrazyB4cubeEarthW.jpg

I just finished putting this one together. I will have some time to work on solving it tomorrow. It looks fun, but I'll have to brush up on my circle puzzle methods. I'm rusty, seeing as I haven't messed with one in 4 months. Assembling was a huge pain. My puzzle was set up into a 4N configuration from back in November. I had to change almost every piece. The last piece I installed was the pink dial and I realized it would not go in due to the orientation of the core. I had to completely disassemble and reorient the core. Bleh! I'll report back if I can manage any progress.

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:36 pm 

themathkid wrote:
The last piece I installed was the pink dial and I realized it would not go in due to the orientation of the core. I had to completely disassemble and reorient the core.
Sometimes an E slice turn can fix that, then just switch out the edges and switch the necessary centres.

I'm glad to see you on board Seth :)

EDIT:
I'm starting to lose track of the puzzles, and the nicknames were helping, so I put a small list together of this year's puzzles so far:

1&2: Rline’s Puzzle (with & without the B4pink bandaging).
3, 4&5: Andy’s Labyrinth (V1- ½ moon on red face)(V1.5- red as 2face, except: red, white, blue corner unbandaged)(V2- all red pieces as 2face pieces).
6: (puzzle #1 of a group of puzzles) Seth’s Disassembly.. :) .
7: (Puzzle #2 of a group of puzzles) Burgo’s Battleaxe.. The reason I named it this is that it's my favourite.

I've gone back and edited my posts to display the nicknames a bit more prominently.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:17 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Burgo wrote:
This one's just the kind of puzzle I try to invent, it's PERFECT!! I finally had time to sit down with it this morning and, wow, I solved it! It took a huge effort to get there, and every part of the solve was challenging.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

This is very worrying to me! I still can't do Rline's puzzle which you think is easy and now you come up with one that even you say is challenging! I'm beginning to think I must be an amateur! I'll keep plugging away but I do find myself getting sidetracked by a continual stream of other new toys!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 am 

Seth's Disassembly is solved! Whoo! Took me most of the evening. I have never used sune more in my life than I did on this puzzle. I'm curious, though, Burgo - what's the "kick" at the end? Or did I miss something?

I'll hopefully be able to assemble Andy's Labyrinth tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:19 am 

The `little kick in the end` was only `little`, I just had to make a workaround for the corner 3cycle.. it was definitely a more fun puzzle in the beginning than the end, although I found the end `worth it`. I don't really remember an overuse of Sune though.. all the way through, or during the corners, or where? Just curious, we all have our own methods. You might be better off going to the Battleaxe before the Labyrinth though, there will be less configuration changes. You should skip straight to V2 with Andy's Labyrinth too, for the full challenge, otherwise some parts of the solve will become repetitive.

BTW, my puzzle is starting to feel really smooth now, with all the solving, even though I've got no lube in it whatsoever. Yours must be starting to break in well now too?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:53 am 

Burgo wrote:
The `little kick in the end` was only `little`, I just had to make a workaround for the corner 3cycle..

Yeah. It's pretty much the same trick from any Earth reduction to RC. I loved this the first time I encountered it [I think it was on (2L)Earth]. We talk about parity a lot on this forum, but it seems like 90% of the time it's a center orientation parity or parity of false equivocation. Reduction parities are more interesting because it's less obvious how to fix them.

Burgo wrote:
I don't really remember an overuse of Sune though.. all the way through, or during the corners, or where? Just curious, we all have our own methods.

I used sune to permute 3 edges on the white layer without disturbing the corners or the 2x1x1 block. So basically all the way through. Looking at it with fresh eyes this morning, I see some places where I could've used EPS instead, but with the setup moves required, it wouldn't be much more efficient. EPS just never seemed to present itself conveniently when needed, so I just hammered through with sune instead. Also used it for orienting corners, something I did a lot of during the CC pairing. Turn a 0-face to make a pair, rotate corner using 1- and 2-faces, turn back.

Burgo wrote:
BTW, my puzzle is starting to feel really smooth now, with all the solving, even though I've got no lube in it whatsoever. Yours must be starting to break in well now too?

With all the center swapping, I have to adjust the tensions frequently. When I get them right, mine turns beautifully [and has for some time now].

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:19 am 

Yeah, I don't mean that in any way my modications have made the puzzle `better`, I'm just commenting on the MF8 base puzzle.. it's turning very well with some breaking in. Pity it's stickered. And pity it has the 1face issue, with the centre being able to twist around.. I am fixing that with the mods in the new kit though :wink: .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:27 am 

Attachment:
IMAG0197-1.jpg
IMAG0197-1.jpg [ 142.64 KiB | Viewed 888 times ]

I'd like to present my first design, the Crazy Hidetoshi Cube! It is basically a Hidetoshi Cube [aka Bandaged 3] with circles added to each face. Alternatively, you can think of it as a Crazy 3x3x3 Plus with B4 bandaging. No 2-Face are present yet, as I'm scared that might make things too difficult. Depending on how difficult it turns out to be, I may work my way up to that later. Because there were not enough pink circle edge+circle corner pieces, I had to improvise with some masking tape and a pink highlighter.

Due to the asymmetry, each planet can be done in multiple ways. For instance, Jupiter can be set up with the single 0-face on a bandaged face [on what I consider the "front" of the puzzle] or a non-bandaged face [on the "back]. As best I can tell, these are all the possible variations. I'm a bit shaky on my notation here, but I believe these would all be CrazyB433p in Burgo's system, with the colors representing the distribution of the 1-faces.

Mercury: W, Y
Venus [only one variant]
Earth: WB, GW, GY
Mars: BWY, GWY
Jupiter: Y, W
Saturn [only one variant]
Uranus: ROGY, ROBY, ROBW
Neptune: RBW, RGW, OGW, OGY

If you've followed this thread, you'll know that I like to work in a systematic fashion. I'm going to begin working through these to see if I can find some interesting variants. I think Neptune will be especially challenging!

PS - Burgo's Battleaxe kicked my butt! [Though I only played with it for about an hour.]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:34 pm 

Hey Seth,

It's great to see a few designs coming from you :) .
The nomenclature will be variations of:
CrazyB4cube(33p) Jupiter B4b
The standard colour schemes would be as for the MF8 planets, and a diagram or photo is needed to show the arrangement of the pinkB4b pieces (according to the underlying MF8 planet).

I'm glad to hear that the Battleaxe is living up to it's name, and hopefully you will revisit it and solve it.. it is solvable, and so far.. I consider it my masterpiece :) .

In Seth's Disassembly and Burgo's Battleaxe I didn't use the standard colour scheme, and there's a special reason for that, which I will talk about next week, when I release the 3rd puzzle in that series.

The new kit doesn't have 3x each 2x1 circle blocks, it only has 2xea 2x1 circle blocks, like the first kit did. The original kit doesn't have the capacity to fill those sections with B4pink inner pieces, but the new kit does have that capacity. I just sat down and calculated that I could include them with what I presently have. It would mean pilfering 5 puzzles from somewhere else and doing some more hand modding, and pilfering a few stickers from various places, but I could get away with it. Let me know if you think it's worth it, to include this in the kit.. I don't care about money or work, I care about a great kit.

When you are are using the 2x1 blocks on 1faces, in the MF8 planets, you can use a 2x1 non-circle block, and it shouldn't make too much difference, if anything, I think it would only make things more interesting. The Mercury, Earth and Neptune variants are the exception to the rule. Likewise as you start adding 2faces, quite a lot of these puzzles should include the 2x1 non-circle blocks anyway, and are within the capacity of the kit. But I do want to know what you think overall, because it would be a fairly major effort to get those into the kit, and I have to consider if it's really necessary for the majority of challenges, that's all. I do generally see a greater need for circle parts over non-circle parts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:25 pm 

Very good work, Burgo.
Very difficult puzzles.
I gave up the c2f Earth 2L. The first puzzle that I gave up.
Only two puzzlers solved this cube. I will wait until someone makes a tutorial/video.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:35 pm 

Crazy Hidetoshi Jupiter proved to be quite a fun little challenge! Pairing circle parts with outer parts was confusing but doable. The reduction solve, however, proved very interesting. The 0-face kills my old method for solving the normal Hidetoshi cube, so I had to improvise. Everything ended up coming down to EPS, CPS, and sune, but the setup moves constantly kept me on my toes. I highly recommend this variant!

Mercury and Uranus might be interesting. I think this will be a very difficult series, though!

Burgo wrote:
Let me know if you think it's worth it, to include this in the kit.. I don't care about money or work, I care about a great kit.

First of all, the kit is already great. No one can deny that. Aside from regular 3x3x3, this is easily my most played with puzzle. The possibilities are nearly infinite and each creation is a challenge.

However, looking at some of the pieces you are creating [based on this picture in the "Selling the Crazy2Face CrazyB4Cube Kits" thread], I see some pieces that I don't think will get much use. Especially the big U-shaped pieces [circled and non-circled]. Also, you have three L-shaped blocks [edge+corner+edge] in both circled and non-circled versions. I would much prefer to have an extra set of 2x1 blocks than some of these. I hope that doesn't come across in a negative way, but I do see a greater need for 2x1 pieces than U or L blocks. My first thoughts for creating a new puzzle were to simply look at some classic bandaged 3x3x3 designs and add circles. For some of these, more 2x1 pieces will be necessary.

Like you said, though, the non-circle 2x1 pieces can substitute in many cases. And even just using one 2x1 piece with two normal 1x1 pieces would work, so there are options. I'd hate to see you work harder than you already are based on my comments alone. I would love to hear someone else chime in here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:05 pm 

The full colour kits have the capacity up to a Bicube, but of course, there needs to be some compromise in the bandaging in a standard kit. Perhaps, though, I may have the balance slightly out in the 2x1 circle area. I do have the capacity to extend the kit here, so I probably will.. although it will mean sacrificing `5 whole cubes` mainly just for their circle edges, and possibly raiding all my spare sticker sheets just for the 2x1 stickers.

The bandaged pieces are all already made, and the stickers are all already cut, so there's no chance of `trading out` parts or ideas at this stage. I'm only waiting on the SW components, which are quite close to completion, but taking longer to get right than I anticipated. The capacity for Fuse and Big Block components was something I really wanted to include, I think they will be a lot of fun.

The bandaging gets quite obstructive when even small amounts are used, so the idea was to get a versatile range rather than a comprehensive one. And if the balance could be different, I don't think it's much out, I put a lot of thought into it. If people are really keen on more smaller pieces, they could buy a sacrifice puzzle and make them too, 2x1 pieces are the easy part.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:23 pm 

Attachment:
Crazy Hidetoshi Uranus.JPG
Crazy Hidetoshi Uranus.JPG [ 165.59 KiB | Viewed 739 times ]

Version I has neither 0-face bandaged [2x1 bars around the RBY corner]
Version II has one 0-face bandaged [2x1 bars around the RBW corner]
Version III has both 0-faces bandaged [2x1 bars around the RGW corner]

Crazy Hidetoshi Uranus version I and II are complete! I absolutely LOVE these versions! They solve roughly identically. Challenging, but never frustrating. The loss of a 1-face compared to Jupiter forces you to be more deliberate with your movements during the pairing phase. Efficient placement of the pink blocks is key, with each phase of the solve having a particular setup.

I expect Version III to be more difficult, since the 0-0 edge is now part of a pink 2x1 block. Starting on it now...

PS - both versions of Jupiter solved exactly the same, as expected.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:32 pm 

Attachment:
Crazy Hidetoshi Neptune.JPG
Crazy Hidetoshi Neptune.JPG [ 166.61 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]

Version I has all three 0-faces bandaged [bars around the RGW corner]
Version II has two 0-faces bandaged [bars around the OGW corner]
Version III has one 0-face bandaged [bars around the OBW corner]
Version IV has zero 0-faces bandaged [bars around the OBY corner]

I know I said I was going to work on Crazy Hidetoshi Uranus Version III, but I decided to jump to Neptune instead. The original Hidetoshi Cube and the Neptune arrangement of 1's and 0's are naturally related. Both have symmetry around a single corner - 2x1 bars with the Hidetoshi Cube and 0-faces with Neptune. Combining these two proved to be really interesting!

The solve was very tricky. Based on other Neptune puzzles, I knew roughly what to do, but the execution was excruciatingly slow. I've handled all Neptune puzzles thus far with reduction to RC. None of the 1-faces turn when the bars are correctly positioned. Because of this, 0-faces are required for setup moves. This affects circle pieces and makes things very confusing. It took me many hours to solve. I would rate this as more difficult than any of the Crazy2Face Neptune versions. It's a very fun puzzle and ultimately solvable with nothing more than EPS and sune [CPS was never possible]. I highly recommend it!

[SPOILERS] Crazy Hidetoshi Neptune Version I Solve Order:

1. Solve the circle parts of all three bars
2. Position bars
3. Pair circle edges with outer edges
4. Orient and position reduced edges that need to be adjacent to bars
5. Position and orient remaining edges
6. Position and orient the corner where the 3 bars meet + its diagonal opposite [RGW and OBY]
7. Position the remaining corners
8. Solve the circle corners of the corner where the 3 bars meet [RGW]
9. Re-solve the circle corners of the 2x1 bars
10. Solve the circle corners of the OBY corner
11. Solve the remaining circle corners
12. Orient the corners

[/SPOILERS]

The other three versions of Neptune can, in principle, be solved by finding a suitable setup move to position the three 2x1 bars around the 0-faces such as in Version I. Treat this position as the solved position [and for god's sake, take a picture] and solve using the above method. Now undo the setup move to restore to the real solved position. The same can be done for the version of Uranus that I skipped. In the interest of not burning myself out again by doing endless variations of the same puzzle, I will not be returning to these puzzles. Neptune Version IV is the only one I would consider trying, as it shares a similar symmetry to Version I.

Sidenote: perhaps I should have named these versions after the moons of each planet, rather than just Version __. This would give Triton, Proteus, Nereid, and Larissa. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:43 pm 

Attachment:
Crazy Hidetoshi Saturn.JPG
Crazy Hidetoshi Saturn.JPG [ 165.77 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]
I have solved two more planets in my Crazy Hidetoshi series. First up is Saturn. This planet has only one variation. I completely forgot how to solve the Crazy 3x3x3 Plus Saturn, so this one took me a bit longer than it should have. It all came back to me finally, and the solve came together. As with all Saturn puzzles, I proceed with reduction to Rubik's Cube.

Crazy Hidetoshi Saturn Solution Outline
[SPOILERS]
1. Pair circle edges with outer edges. For the 2x1 bars, try to also pair the CCs.
2. Flip edges using the method from Saturn. Bring all edges of the same color to a 0-face with the like-color on U and use sune to 3-cycle. Move them back to their pre-sune positions with only 1-face turns. Two edges will now be flipped. You must proceed in such a way that you finished with 2 bad edges from a 0-face.
3. Pair CCs to outer corners. Turn a 0-face to make a pair, twist the paired corner with sune + sune mirror using only 1-faces, and undo the 0-face turn.
4. Solve the reduced puzzle. EPS, CPS, and sune are all possible with various setups.

[/SPOILERS]

The last step there is quite interesting and definitely non-trivial. Every edge needed to be placed in a very systematic order. I quite enjoyed it. It really helped on Mercury and I'm sure the ideas will bleed over into Venus.

Attachment:
Crazy Hidetoshi Mercury.JPG
Crazy Hidetoshi Mercury.JPG [ 169.79 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]

Crazy Hidetoshi Mercury Solution Outline
[SPOILERS]
Proceed with reduction to Circle Cube in mind.

1. Solve circle edges.
2. Check for center orientation parity by pairing and solving the outer edges. If you find you end up with 2 edges swapped, you have parity. Pick any 0-face adjacent to the 1-face and give it a 90-degree turn. Re-solve the circle edges without disturbing center orientation. Re-solve the outer edges to ensure parity is fixed.
3. Pair CCs to the 2x1 bars.
4. Pair blue CCs to their appropriate edges
5. Pair green CCs to their appropriate edges
6. Pair orange CCs to their appropriate edges.
7. Pair red CCs to their appropriate edges
8. Pair yellow CCs to their appropriate edges. White should be solved now, too.
9. Solve the reduced Circle Cube using only 0-face turns.

[/SPOILERS]

Because of the bandaging, the CCs are especially difficult. Rather than keeping the edges solved and trying to find complicated setups, steps 3-8 allow you to work in a systematic fashion with the freedom of working in an edge-scrambled setting. It's confusing still, but it's the best I could do without trying to develop dozen of unique, one-time-use setups. It reminds me of my Crazy2Face Mercury solution, and could probably be used to clean up my solution for that puzzle.

Again, the reduction solve is non-trivial. I had to place edges in a very specific order. It kind of reminded me of Bermuda Cubes, where you place the least accessible pieces first and work on the most accessible ones last. In this case, the most accessible ones those that are workable with the simplest setup move I could find to be able to use sune + EPS [2 moves]. I'm sure there are other ways to approach it, but I loved this solve.

There is a Version II of Mercury, where the 0-face is on a non-bandaged face. I don't see this being any different in practice, so I will not bother with a solve. Instead, I will try Venus next. I expect it to be a blend of both Saturn and Mercury techniques and I'm looking forward to it. Every version in this series has been enjoyable so far, and I don't expect anything less from Venus!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:19 pm 

This is CrazyB4Cube Fused Jupiter. It is based on Crazy 3x3 Jupiter, with the BYR corner fused using three corner+edge pieces from the CB4C kit:
Attachment:
CrazyB4cube Fused Jupiter Diagram.png
CrazyB4cube Fused Jupiter Diagram.png [ 182.39 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]

The scramble shows the effects of the bandaging of three 1-faces:
Attachment:
Crazy B4 Cube Fused Jupiter-Edit LR_3072.jpg
Crazy B4 Cube Fused Jupiter-Edit LR_3072.jpg [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 174 times ]

It looks deceptively simple to solve, however there are some interesting challenges and not much working room. I enjoyed working this out. It was a nice intro to the CrazyB4cube series.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:38 am 

Nice to see this thread moving again Pete.. and I'm really looking forward to trying some Fuse variants myself :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:11 am 

CrazyB4Cube Uranus Mix wXX, gXO, rOX, bOO, oCC, yO-O

I started to play with the extended kit, in the first creation I wanted to try all the centers types with no contraining, except one. No 2-faces, no B4 bandaging.
So I came up with this puzzle. Then instead of trying other assemblies I couldn't resist to scramble it and to try a solve.

Solving is really not difficult but it is fun to find where to apply known algs.
[Strategy]

I reduced it to a RC (as usual with Uranus planets) and kept mostly this orientation:
D -> wXX - Totally blocked face.
L -> gXO - Used only on step 1. for wgr 2x2x2.
B -> rOX - Used for reduction of corners.
F -> oCC - Used for cycling corners (SexyHammer, F+EPS)
R -> bOO - Extensively used with 2-gen algs.
U -> yO-O - Extensively used with 2-gen algs.

1. Solved the wgr 2x2x2 corner block, as it contains 2 type-0 faces and some pieces which can't be scrambled.
2. Reduced edges then corners.
3. Reduced RC is very easy.

[/Strategy]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6