Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Airplane Puzzling
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 pm 

Hey twisty puzzlers,

I've been flying a lot in the last year or two, mostly trips involving Chicago (grad school), Denver (home), and the Bay Area (job prospects). I have found that it is fun to pull out a puzzle right at the beginning of the flight, scramble it before take-off, and try to solve it before we land. It usually sparks a conversation with the strangers in the seats next to me, and in general it's just a great way to pass the time.

I currently have 2 go-to puzzles for flights:

1. GigaTwist: This one is great for the flights between Denver and Chicago, since I can usually solve it in 2 to 2.5 hours.
Attachment:
photo 2 (1).JPG
photo 2 (1).JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 1657 times ]

2. Eitan's Star: The flight between Chicago and the Bay Area is 5 to 7 hours (depending on whether there's a stop), so I've been bringing along Eitan's Star. Last week, I managed to complete it more than an hour before we landed. (No pictures from that time, but here's one of me on the plane with my cello, stickering a Star.)
Attachment:
photo 1 (1).JPG
photo 1 (1).JPG [ 2.12 MiB | Viewed 1657 times ]

Do you solve puzzles on planes? (Note: Let's agree to leave the Samuel L. Jackson quotes for another thread.)

-Eitan

Post subject: Re: Airplane Puzzling
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:00 am 

On my last trip to Japan (for IPP33) I spent some quality time with a few Hanayama puzzles. I was able to solve the Cast Cylinder and got the Cast Quartet apart but not fully back together.
I find the size and style of the Hanayama puzzles to be pretty ideal for public transit. And invariably someone is curious and asked you about them.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 am 

I really should get myself some of those.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:02 am 

I always puzzle coming back from IPP. I choose one or two that tickle me and have them out for the flight.
I've traveled quite a bit for work these past few years and I always have a Hanayama or a Metal puzzle from Wil in my bag. They take me a while, and are light enough and small enough to carry on board.

I also always do a puzzle hunt when I travel so the return trip is always to ponder over what ever it was I bought.

(My last flight was really for just a drunken weekend in Cambodia with some guys from work. No puzzling on the plane.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:21 am 

When I traveled to Italy this past summer, I brought about 5 or 6 puzzles to play with in the planes and trains. First, my teraminx, which would become Pochmann a month later. I solved this on the return flight. Second, my time machine. This came about 3 days before I left, so I was happy to have it to solve during the trip. The last one I can remember bringing was my dino cylinder, which I received with my time machine. This was for carrying in my pockets while waiting in the lines for places. Overall, these puzzles saved me from much boredom throughout the trip.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:31 am 

For working reason I got to travel around Beijing and Hong Kong, which took around 3 hours to do so. Usually I'll read a novel to spend the time, but at the same time I'll prepare myself some puzzles, in case the novel is boring :D

So if I want to play puzzles in a plane usually I'll choose hanayama puzzle, as they're small & easy to carry. If for twistypuzzles, from what I remember, the last time I solved a Dayan GEM V on a plane with ayi.

But the most remarkable experience is that, I did re-assemble the Multi-Dodecahedron on a plane! I can't even imagine if some pieces drop off! Fortunately it finished assembling very smoothly~

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:11 pm 

I have never been on a plane! But I will be on one soon and plan to bring a 4x4 mixup plus, a 3x3, and a 3x3x6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 pm 

Here's a picture of my Pochmann Teraminx on the plane all scrambled up. It took me the 3 hour flight to solve the Face-turning Starminx and the Pochmann Teraminx. If you look closely, you can even see my dad's shoe. :lol:

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 1197 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:22 am 

Wow.. that just looks awesome :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:19 pm 

After taking in the great views, I like to puzzle on planes. I select puzzles that can be solved in available light and aren't likely to pop.
Attachment:
IMG_3855 LR.jpg
IMG_3855 LR.jpg [ 142.3 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3863 LR.jpg
IMG_3863 LR.jpg [ 193.76 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:58 am 

I hear you Pete.. just imagine a centercap of the master kilominx.. very annoying to try and dig that one up.

Nice views!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:01 am 

WOW what kind of plane it is Pete!? A private plane!? The windows don't seems familiar!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:20 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
I hear you Pete.. just imagine a centercap of the master kilominx.. very annoying to try and dig that one up.

Funny you mention that, because about halfway into the flight, one of the wing pieces of the PT flew out. The nice lady sitting next to me helped me find it for the next five or so minutes. :D And Pete, the planes that I fly on provide plenty of light for solving any puzzle, which means that isn't a problem. Also, the Rex cube I have tends to pop quite a bit, which is interesting because it is the same brand as yours. :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:32 am 

otischeng wrote:
WOW what kind of plane it is Pete!? A private plane!? The windows don't seems familiar!

Attachment:
IMG_3831 LR Cessna Stationair 6 II.jpg
IMG_3831 LR Cessna Stationair 6 II.jpg [ 230.12 KiB | Viewed 978 times ]
That is a Cessna Stationair 6 II configured for winter service (the huge tires) taken last November at Slate Falls First Nation. We charter planes from two companies that fly out of the Sioux Lookout Water Aerodrome. During the transition time in the fall and spring they fly out of the main airport. The rest of the year they use the water aerodrome. In the summer they take off from the water on floats and in the winter they take off from the ice on those huge tires.

More puzzle content. My colleague, Amanda, showing off a Wit Two:

Attachments:
IMG_3845 LR.jpg
IMG_3845 LR.jpg [ 205.18 KiB | Viewed 978 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:59 am 

Pete the Geek wrote:
otischeng wrote:

Attachment:
IMG_3831 LR Cessna Stationair 6 II.jpg
That is a Cessna Stationair 6 II configured for winter service (the huge tires) taken last November at Slate Falls First Nation. We charter planes from two companies that fly out of the Sioux Lookout Water Aerodrome. During the transition time in the fall and spring they fly out of the main airport. The rest of the year they use the water aerodrome. In the summer they take off from the water on floats and in the winter they take off from the ice on those huge tires.

More puzzle content. My colleague, Amanda, showing off a Wit Two:

Thanks for the explanation, seems a very fun flying experience!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:42 am 

During my last flight back from San Diego to Munich, actually two legs, SAN->IAH, IAH->MUC, I was playing with my new Curvy Starminx. I had already the corners solved before boarding (kilominx-like), and on the SAN-IAH I had the edges (simple commutators) then the centers (same commutator but thrice) in place. I started solving of the star tips during the long leg.

Every now and then somebody stops and makes the usual comments ("What is this? I had the cube back in the time?") but sometimes they say quite funny things - I heard "Kubrick's cube" already a couple of times...

Roberto