Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Solving the Bandaged 3x3x3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:40 pm 

I made this bandaged cube with the CT kit, but I haven't found it anywhere. The kit arrived today and I've solved this puzzle twice so far.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:24 pm 

Anyone knows if CubeTwist is ever gonna release a 4x4x4 or 5x5x5 bandaged kit? Would love to buy one of those. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:10 am 

Hi all! I just wanted to express my thanks to all the creators of all these wonderful bandaging patterns. I currently have $0 in my puzzle fund, so birthdays and bandaging are the only way I'm getting new puzzles at the moment. I love having hundreds of new puzzles at my disposal.

I have created a Google doc of all the named patterns I could find. I figure it might help someone in the future, rather than scrolling through pages after page. The document is editable, so if anyone has something to contribute, feel free!

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:24 pm 

themathkid wrote:
I have created a Google doc of all the named patterns I could find. I figure it might help someone in the future, rather than scrolling through pages after page. The document is editable, so if anyone has something to contribute, feel free!

Good idea to make a Google Doc. I also made a word-doc with all the Bandaged Cubes I could find (83 bandaged 3x3x3 cubes total now). Following our idea, I made a Google Doc from the word-doc, so everyone can enjoy all 83 ones. (PS: The ones with "(Own)" in front of them are my own designs.)

Greetz,
Quuador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:59 pm 

Awesome guys! One of these days I need to get back to doing some of these bandaged puzzles, it's been quite a while.

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:12 pm 

Quuador wrote:
Good idea to make a Google Doc. I also made a word-doc with all the Bandaged Cubes I could find (83 bandaged 3x3x3 cubes total now). Following our idea, I made a Google Doc from the word-doc, so everyone can enjoy all 83 ones. (PS: The ones with "(Own)" in front of them are my own designs.)

Greetz,
Quuador

Wow. Yours is so much better! Much cleaner and more consistent. I really appreciate the work you've put into this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:26 pm 

Thanks too for the Google Doc of all these puzzles. Here is a variation on Burgo's Double Block Clock:

Triple Block Clock
Attachment:
Triple Block Clock.png
Triple Block Clock.png [ 61.25 KiB | Viewed 1559 times ]

This is the Double Block Clock with an additional block to prevent the blue and red faces from turning. Spoiler alert: a solution method follows, with algos hidden in invisible ink.
[x : y] = x y x' (conjugate)
[x, y] = x y x' y' (commutator)
Orange = F, Green = U
A = [U2 L : F]
C = [U, R]
G = [R2 U R'] : [U L F L' U2, R']
J = A' C' A' C2

1. Solve the 2x2x2 block around the yellow-red-blue corner. Pair the free edge and corner intuitively, then orient the pair correctly to join it with the yellow bandaged piece using the green face, and complete the block. From this point I suggest orienting the puzzle with orange = F and green = U.

2. Solve the edges. Use algos A and C (including repetitions and inversions) to solve the orange/blue edge. If the other three edges are in an even perm and none are flipped, they are either solved or can be solved with C or C'. Here are the other possible cases:
Even perm, flipped edges at FR and UR: G C' A2, then C or C' if necessary.
Odd perm, flipped edges at FR and UR: G' C A, then C or C' if necessary.
Odd perm, no flipped edges: A' C' G2 C' A2, then C or C' if necessary.

3. Permute the corners. Either they are in their correct positions or C3 permutes them.

4. Orient the corners. J twists UBR+ UBL-; this and its inverse can be used with fairly simple setup sequences to solve all possible orientations of the corners.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:29 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Thanks for that Google doc! That's a much better resource than what I have managed to cobble together myself!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:08 pm 

Bandaged 3++

In between Bandaged 3+ and 3 Quads 3 Stripes lies what I call Bandaged 3++. I rate this one as very difficult.
Attachment:
Bandaged 3++.png
Bandaged 3++.png [ 58.62 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]
Spoiler alert: a solution method follows, with algos hidden in invisible ink.
Yellow = F, Blue = U, m = mirrored/reflected
A = B2 R' B R' U' B L U L F2 L' F2 L'
C = B' R U' B U B' R' B' R B2
Cm = L F' U L' U' L F L F' L2
G = [L F' L' U L U' F L'] [B' R U' B U B' R' B]
H = L F2 L F L' F L' F L F2 L2
Hm = B' R2 B' R' B R' B' R2 B2

1. Solve the quads and stripes. Intuitive; I find it easiest to leave the middle (white/red/green) stripe to last.

2. Permute the three unbandaged corners. Algo A does the cycle UBL->UFR->DFR->UBL and algo C swaps UBL<->UFR.

3. Align the corner orientations. After this step we want to have the three unbandaged corners with the same orientation. A third of the time this step can be skipped, otherwise use algo G, which twists UFR+ and DFR-, or its inverse.

4. Solve the five unbandaged edges. Algo H cycles FU->FR->FD->FU and its mirror Hm cycles RU->RF->RD->RU. Algo C twice flips FR and FD, and algo Cm twice flips RF and RD.

5. Orient the corners. Algo C four times twists the corners clockwise.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:16 pm 

Hi Julian,
I solved your Tripple Block Clock, I used the Yellow face as U and did the backbone of the solve with Sunes. I haven't ironed out a complete method yet, but it makes for an interesting solve. I'll give the Bandaged 3++ a go later too. Thanks for the puzzles.
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:11 pm 

Burgo, it's good to see you posting again in this thread. I was worried I had missed the party by a year or two! :)

I have enjoyed solving various puzzles in the list: Bandaged 3, Bandaged 3+, Bandaged Fortress, Pendulum, Big Block Clock, Bandaged Clock Jupiter, Alcatraz, Double Block Clock, and 3 Quads 3 Stripes so far. I particularly like Alcatraz and Double Block Clock. Thank you (and other contributors) for creating so many fun puzzles. I will gradually work my way through all the ones shown in this thread.

As Double Block Clock and Triple Block Clock both have only one permutation or orientation restriction beyond a regular Rubik's Cube - only one sixth of all corner perms are possible, like Big Block Clock - the group of states of Double Block Clock with a solved red-blue edge and Triple Block Clock are identical. In other words, if one has a solution for Triple Block Clock, one also has a solution for Double Block Clock: solve the red-blue edge, then solve the Triple Block Clock. I found 75% of edge cases very difficult to resolve, so I'll be interested to see your solution.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:45 am 

Hi Julian,

Yes, these puzzles have quite a big permutation restriction due to the 3x2x1 block. The restriction is that once the F2L corners are placed, the LL corners are already permuted. It’s the same restriction we see on the `1x1x3 Block`.

The tricky part about `seeing this` in the `Double Block Clock` and `Triple Block Clock` is that the clock hand disguises it a little (because one LL edge is permanently placed). You can run some Sunes across the LL to permute the edges, and once the edges are solved, there may be an X pattern of corners.. which is just 3x Sunes away from correctly permuted (6x cycles of Sune bring it back to a full loop).

I Solved the bandaged blocks and the Orange Blue edge first (and orientated the other 5 edges at the same time). An example of how to reorientate edges is:
[Orange F, Yellow U] (reorient UL + UR): L2 D F D’ L’ (U) L D F’ D’ L2

[Red F, Yellow U (from now on)] I then solved the Red /Green F2L block. And permuted the LL with Sunes.
Orientation of LL Corners (examples):

{A} 4[UBL-CW UBR-CCW UFR-CCW UFL-CW]: U (U’ R U R’)x3 U (U’ R U R’)x3 U2 (R U R’ U’)x3 (Sune)x3

{B} 3[UBL-CCW UBR-0 UFR-CCW UFL-CCW]: U2 R U’ R’ U’ R U2 (Sune)x2 U2 R U’ R’ U’ (R U2 R’ U2)
3[UBL-CCW UBR-CCW UFR-CCW UFL-0]: (Sune) {B} (Sune Rev)

{C} 3[UBL-0 UBR-CW UFR-CW UFL-CW]: U (R U' R') U2 (R U' R') U' (Sune) U (R U' R') U2 (R U' R') U' (Sune)
3[UBL-CW UBR-CW UFR-0 UFL-CW]: Sune U (R U' R') U2 (R U' R') U' (Sune) U (R U' R') U2 (R U' R') U'

{D} 2[UBL-0 UBR-CW UFR-0 UFL-CCW]: (R U R’ U’)x3 (Sune Rev) U R U’ R’ U2 R U’ R’ U’ (Sune)x2
2[UBL-0 UBR-CCW UFR-CW UFL-0]: (R U2 R’ U2) {D} (U2 R U2 R’)

Some combinations of these kinds of things will orientate the LL corners.

I think we’re both seeing the puzzle quite differently, and it seems that you might have a much more user friendly way to do the Corner Orientations.

EDIT: I just solved the Corner Orientations with your method, nice. The expanded notation for Julian's orientation sequence is:
[Orange F, Green U] Orientates (UBL + UBR): (U2 L F' L' U2) (R U R' U') (U2 L F' L' U2) (U R U' R')x2 and the sequence can be performed with the clock in either RB or RD positions.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 pm 

Just wanted to share that I have solved the Bicube and Bandaged 3++ this weekend with my own methods. I can share my method if anyone is interested in either. The Bicube was very challenging. Lots of trial and error to find shape-preserving sequences and then a lot of pen-and-paper work to build useful 3-cycles. The Bandaged 3++ is longer but not much more difficult than 3 Quads, 3 Stripes, though the "2 bars swapped" / center orientation parity seems to happen more often and is very annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:58 am 

@Burgo: Now that I've seen your way of flipping edges for the Triple Block Clock, I can see how I was making life more difficult for myself! :)

@Seth: It would be interesting to see your Bandaged 3++ solution, thanks. (I solve the stripes first, which avoids an odd perm of them later.) I am about to post another Bicube-related puzzle that you may also enjoy...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:36 am 

Morse-X
Attachment:
Morse-X.png
Morse-X.png [ 48.69 KiB | Viewed 1236 times ]
This one is another unbandaging of the Bicube. I call it Morse-X because we can see a pattern like Morse code for the letter X (dash-dot-dot-dash) on the F, U and R faces. All the stripes can move around all the faces. It can be difficult to get the puzzle back into shape, and of course there are extra edges to solve. I rate this as very difficult. My solution is in invisible ink below:

1. Get the puzzle back into shape. Let's name the stripe positions S1 to S6, going clockwise around the UFR corner in the diagram from S1 = white/green/orange. It is fairly easy to place stripes at S1, S3 and S5, and then not too difficult to place two of the others. If you then rotate the puzzle so that S4 is the last one to be placed, use the following routines, where the edges listed are the current position of the edge of the last stripe, which needs to move to DR:

BL: U' B' R' U
LD: R' F D F' R' F D' F' R
DB: U F R' F' U' R B R'
BD: F D' R F' R' F D F'
RB: R' F' U L' U' F U' R B' R' U

2. Solve the edges in between the stripes. The following routines move the named free edge to RB; rotate the puzzle as necessary. [x : y] = x y x'.

DB: [F2 D R : F2]
BD: [F R' D' F' : R2]
LB: [R' F D2 R' U' B2 U D' : R2]
BL: [U L F' D' F U' F D : R2]
DL: [U F' D F' D : R2]
LD: [R' F D2 B : R2]

3. Reduce the puzzle to the last stage of solving a Bandage Cube (Only the first algo of the six listed above is needed in combination with the following to solve the puzzle, but I give all six because they make for a more efficient solve.)

A = [F2 D2 R' B' R : D2]
C = [R2 B2 U' B : L2]

A swaps DB with LD
C swaps DB with DL

A C flips DB and DL
[A C]x2 twists the free corners URF+ DLB-

Now check the stripes. If they are in an odd permutation (an odd number of swaps is needed to solve them), do:

[F R' D2: F] R' D' F' R followed by C.

4. Solve the last stage of the Bandage Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:07 pm 

Julian wrote:
@Seth: It would be interesting to see your Bandaged 3++ solution, thanks. (I solve the stripes first, which avoids an odd perm of them later.) I am about to post another Bicube-related puzzle that you may also enjoy...

I haven't forgotten about this. I just need to make some pictures and clean up my notes a bit. I'll try to have it up in the next 48 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:03 pm 

Julian wrote:

Ok. I admit I forgot! But at least I eventually got around to it, right? I'm sure it's not an efficient method, but here goes:

Attachment:
Bandaged 3++ Edges.png
Bandaged 3++ Edges.png [ 81.19 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]

I always hold the puzzle with the three stripes at FR, FD, and RD [note: NOT like the picture!]. For the beginning phase, we will have red at F and white at R [so that the "unbandaged square" is at D]. After that square is reduced, we will have a 3 Quads / 3 Stripes. Let T be a 120-degree rotation of the puzzle about the ULB / DFR corners [such that the F face becomes R and R becomes D]. Using this allows us to almost exclusively use the F, R, and U faces for turning and makes everything easier to remember. X and Y are simple 2-move setups, but are used so often that I gave them their own letters. This also makes things easier to remember.

Sequences Used:
X = F'R
X' = R'F
Y = R'F
Y' = FR'

K = (XUX') (DFD2F'D') (XU'X') [Used for positioning D-face edges]
K Mirror = (YU'Y') (D'R'D2RD) (YUY')

M = (XUX') T (XUX') T' (YUY') T (YUY') T' [Used for orienting corners]
N = (XUX') T (XUY') T (XUX') T' (XU'X') T' [Used for cycling 2x1 bars CW about the DFR corner]
S = (XUX') T (YU2Y') T' (XU'X') [Swaps LB / UB edges + FD / FR bars]
T = 120-degree CW rotation of the puzzle about the DFR corner [F --> R, R--> D]
W = (XUY') T (XUY')(XU'X') T' [Used for orienting UL and UB edges]
Parity Fix = WTWT'WS [Swaps FD and FR bars]

1. Restore to the "solved" shape intuitively.
2. Correctly position the DFL corner.

- If it is at DFR, do S (FDF') TST' (FDF')
- If it is at UFL, do (FDF') S (FD'F)

3. Correctly orient the DFL corner.

- If it needs a CCW twist, do (FDF') (ST'ST) (FD'F')
- If it needs a CW twist, do (FDF') (STST') (FD'F)

4. Positions edges #4 and #5. Use combinations of T and S to move edge #4 into position #3. Check the orientation. The D color should show on the B face. If it doesn't, use WTS to flip it. Now use to K to swap (34), moving edge #4 correctly into position, correctly oriented. Now position edge #5 at position #1. The D color should show on the L face. If it doesn't, use WTS to flip it. Now use K mirror to swap (15), moving #5 correctly into position, correctly oriented.

NOTE: The puzzle is now a reduced 3 Quads / 3 Stripes. The rest is my solution for that puzzle. There are no reduction parities. Edges #4 and #5 will not be referenced again. A T or T' rotation of the puzzle is now ok - we no longer need to keep edges #4 and #5 on the D face. We do still need the bars at FD, FR, and RD, though [squares on F, R and D].

5. Position and orient remaining edges. Use S to swap edges LB and UB. You should need to do this at most twice to position all three edges. If edges are incorrectly oriented, use WTS to flip edges UL and UB.

6. Check the stripes / bars. If they need a 3-cycle, do N to cycle the CW or N' to cycle CCW. If a single swap is needed instead, do WTWT'WS to swap the FD and FR bars.

7. Orient the remaining two corners.

- If DFR needs a CCW twist, do M [STST']
- If DFR needs a CW twist, do [TST'S] M'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:56 pm 

Some months back half my puzzle collection was stolen. Thanks to rline, I got 4 puzzles that helped get me out of the puzzle doldrums, and back into the game. This summer I have enjoyed solving many of the 40 or so puzzles I have now. And I have purchased one of the puzzles that was stolen—the All-in-one Bandage Kit. rline recently posted a video of a configuration that I had fun solving. Then we tried what a little research called Bandaged 3. A lot has been said about this one in this thread. The one thing I needed to get over the hump with that one was the L D L' move that positioned the 3 bandaged pieces in such a way that got them pretty much out of the way.

I decided to re-read (skim) some of the posts and look for some easy ones to start with. 2-bar was listed as one of the easiest. I can't believe how difficult it was for me. Finally I went back to by blog entry of November 2012 and read what I said about it. Totally useless. I made it sound so easy, yet didn't really explain how to do it. :oops:

Fortunately rline had a more thorough treatment on his blog. I didn't need to read it, or watch any of the videos, but just seeing the basic strategy and the idea about needing 3 sides in a row for doing the 3x3x2 CPS—that was enough to bring it back. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:09 pm 

robertpauljr wrote:
This summer I have enjoyed solving many of the 40 or so puzzles I have now. And I have purchased one of the puzzles that was stolen—the All-in-one Bandage Kit. rline recently posted a video of a configuration that I had fun solving.
I'm really glad to hear that

robertpauljr wrote:
Finally I went back to by blog entry of November 2012 and read what I said about it. Totally useless. I made it sound so easy, yet didn't really explain how to do it. :oops:
With my own stuff...Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

robertpauljr wrote:
Fortunately rline had a more thorough treatment on his blog. I didn't need to read it, or watch any of the videos, but just seeing the basic strategy and the idea about needing 3 sides in a row for doing the 3x3x2 CPS—that was enough to bring it back. :D

Again, good to hear. I've been so out of things puzzling for a long time, but have just got the bug back and funnily enough, for the bandaged kit. I've decided to start getting my money's worth from it. I looked at the 3-bar and found it fairly easy, then went to the 3-bar clock and ... oh boy ... amazing the difference a slight change in bandaging can make.

I'm hoping to re-enliven this thread soon with posts of what I'm making, maybe some videos, with the hope that some of the old-timers of this thread will pick it up again, along with many new folk.

Fat chance, though, because the B4 kit is just about here :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:55 am 

rline wrote:
I've decided to start getting my money's worth from it.
Well, that shouldn't be too hard!! :lol:
rline wrote:
I'm hoping to re-enliven this thread soon with posts of what I'm making, maybe some videos
Really interested to see some of your designs :) .. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more transfer from the Bandaged333 designs onto the CrazyB4cube puzzles, and also we can make standard Bandaged333 variants with the kit.. and then add Xcentres and constraining elements to the standard Bandaged333 puzzles (without circle cube elements). One of the things I've thought about is making a new core for the CT Bandaged333.. with Xcentres (Andreas would appreciate that) and possibly constraining, but the B4kit covers it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:41 am 

Burgo wrote:
rline wrote:
I've decided to start getting my money's worth from it.
Well, that shouldn't be too hard!! :lol:
Truth be told, I've already easily got my money's worth. I guess I feel guilty for proclaiming its greatness and not using it so much!
rline wrote:
I'm hoping to re-enliven this thread soon with posts of what I'm making, maybe some videos
Really interested to see some of your designs :) .. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more transfer from the Bandaged333 designs onto the CrazyB4cube puzzles

I guess I should have been clearer. At this stage I'll just be making some of those already on the thread. I've got a list of about 68 so far. I agree with you though: what'll be interesting is seeing how a small change with a B4 part might completely alter some bandaged variant we already know about.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:51 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Really interested to see some of your designs :) .. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more transfer from the Bandaged333 designs onto the CrazyB4cube puzzles, and also we can make standard Bandaged333 variants with the kit.. and then add Xcentres and constraining elements to the standard Bandaged333 puzzles (without circle cube elements). One of the things I've thought about is making a new core for the CT Bandaged333.. with Xcentres (Andreas would appreciate that) and possibly constraining, but the B4kit covers it.

Funnily enough I was just looking the other day to see if the bandage kit pieces were at all compatible with he crazy cubes, to look for these possibilities, as I've been playing with a few bandaged cubes, going through Andreas' app that shows all the bandaging variations. Unfortunately they are not even close, completely incompatible. I couldn't remember just how many bandaging elements come with the B4 kit, and I didn't want to look it up either - with the kit on its way I want it to be more of a revelation when i open the box :D

What we need is for Andreas to update the app with all the possible permutations of the kit with every face type :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:28 am 

martywolfman wrote:
I couldn't remember just how many bandaging elements come with the B4 kit
It's designed to give a great and varied experience, but it's more focussed on the Crazy series so it's not as comprehensive as the Bandaged333 kit, unless you bought the Full 6colour kit. So if you bought that kit you could make anything, including the Bicube. The standard kit will give you a very reasonable amount, but it wouldn't give you the Bicube. The value in the full 6colour kit was overwhelming, as I'm sure the recipients will attest if they want to be known. The net weight ended up being over 1 kilo! I'll show it on a video, because I made one for myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:08 pm 

Oh I'm sure it does Burgo. I just knew it wouldn't be as comprehensive as the bandaged kit, the version without the full 6 colour pieces anyway - that isn't a criticism in any way shape or form, but I just wanted to see if there was a way to combine the two :)

I guess I could get two more crazy 3x3's and drill holes in the faces hehe :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:40 pm 

Burgo wrote:
martywolfman wrote:
...unless you bought the Full 6colour kit.

I don't remember this being an option. Dangit.

EDIT: Looking back over the other thread, I see it now. Kicking myself for not doing this!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:20 pm 

Yeah, I would have like it too, I just couldn't stretch the finances for it :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:55 am 

I have developed a solution for a partially detiled Fuse-3 and documented it on my blog. I wonder how many people actually solved the fully tiled Fuse-3. At this point I have no idea how to do it. And I wonder how many people solved the Detiled Corners Only Fuse-3. And I wonder if anyone else solved a partially detiled Fuse-3.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:18 am 

robertpauljr wrote:
I have developed a solution for a partially detiled Fuse-3 and documented it on my blog. I wonder how many people actually solved the fully tiled Fuse-3. At this point I have no idea how to do it. And I wonder how many people solved the Detiled Corners Only Fuse-3. And I wonder if anyone else solved a partially detiled Fuse-3.

I haven't specifically played around with the de-tiled version, but I have solved the Fuse-3. It's fairly challenging. As you've noted, the edges really up the difficulty. I wasn't really interested in this puzzle until I came across the Chimera Shift [basically the 5x5x5 version of the Fuse-3 and an absolute beast!]. My initial thought for that was "reduction to Fuse-3," so obviously I needed to learn to solve the smaller version first. It's in a class of puzzles that, to me, all feel similar: 3 Quads 3 Stripes, Hidetoshi / Bandaged 3, Bandaged 3+, Bandaged 3++.

Below is my method for Fuse-3 from my notebook. I apologize for being lazy, but I just didn't feel like typing all that out.

Attachment:
IMAG0245.jpg
IMAG0245.jpg [ 554.51 KiB | Viewed 329 times ]

Attachment:
IMAG0246.jpg
IMAG0246.jpg [ 597.94 KiB | Viewed 329 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:55 am 

Thanks Seth.

In the meantime, I fully tiled the puzzle to make a Fuse-3 and started experimenting. This afternoon I discovered a relatively simple pure 3-cycle of corners. This is a major breakthrough, which I think will make the Fuse-3 possible for me with what I have figured out so far. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Then when I started to scramble it, I ended up with an interesting pattern that I think may add to the simplicity of the solve. I just need to figure out what I did! And then see if it does indeed make it a relatively easy solve compared to the method I have so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:26 am 

Fuse-3
robertpauljr wrote:
Thanks Seth.

In the meantime, I fully tiled the puzzle to make a Fuse-3 and started experimenting. This afternoon I discovered a relatively simple pure 3-cycle of corners. This is a major breakthrough, which I think will make the Fuse-3 possible for me with what I have figured out so far. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Then when I started to scramble it, I ended up with an interesting pattern that I think may add to the simplicity of the solve. I just need to figure out what I did! And then see if it does indeed make it a relatively easy solve compared to the method I have so far.

Many hours later I have a solution strategy and sequences in order to carry it out. I came up with many more algorithms than I needed to in the end, but it was fun documenting them and sorting it all out.

This is the first ever puzzle that I have solved by solving to a non-solved state with a 6 twist sequence needed to finish it off.

Check out my blog if interested.

After working it all out I looked at your solution Seth. Nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 am 

You could try the de-tiled version while you're there :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:20 am 

Burgo wrote:
You could try the de-tiled version while you're there :)

I did! In fact I made a blog post about the Detiled one, one about some partially detiled ones, and finally the fully tiled Fuse-3. It was fun.

Next up is the Bandaged Loop.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:05 am 

Ahh, nice. Great to see the progress and hear the story! The Bandaged Loop shouldn't give you too much trouble after the Fuse-3 :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:33 am 

Burgo wrote:
Ahh, nice. Great to see the progress and hear the story! The Bandaged Loop shouldn't give you too much trouble after the Fuse-3 :)

It wasn't too hard to get it down to just needing to flip two edges. I know various ways of flipping edges, but the one that uses M and U that I learned years ago—I never use it any more. Fortunately I brought an external hard drive on my trip that I plugged into my son's computer, and I was able to find the algorithm in a Pages document I made years ago named Rubik's Cube Methods, under the page on the Corners First Method. I still sometimes solve the cube corners first but no longer use that particular algorithm. I think I opted for a longer edge flipper as my goto awhile back because it makes more sense to me. I can see why the edges flip. With the one I needed for Bandaged Loop, it is more like magic. Just do these simple twists and poof! It flips the edges. Perhaps I should just take some time to study it and see if I can make sense of it. It goes like this:

((M' U') x 2 M' (Dd)2) x 2 where Dd is the bottom two layers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:17 am 

budlcuber 02

Anyone want to take a break from their current puzzling adventure and give this bandaged puzzle a go?
Attachment:
budlcuber 02 Finished.jpg
budlcuber 02 Finished.jpg [ 184.24 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]

budlcuber 01 was the same thing without the 3x1x1 block. It was a much easier solve for me. If budlcuber 02 is too easy for you, perhaps adding the detiled edges and/or corners would make it a better challenge. I haven't gone there yet.

At first I thought this puzzle was impossible. I shared my story on my blog, if you are interested in the process that I went through in figuring it out. Included are the algorithms I developed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:35 am 

budlcuber 03

In the last post I introduced budlcuber 02 with a quick mention of budlcuber 01, which was very similar to budlcuber 02. budlcuber 03 continues the series by adding the remainder of the edges. In my opinion it is not much more difficult than 02. I still have not mastered (internalized) all the new algorithms I had to come up with to solve this one. Maybe by the time I get to the last four corners in the next version, I will have it all down. :D

Here it is—

Attachment:
budlcuber 03.jpg
budlcuber 03.jpg [ 195.66 KiB | Viewed 75 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5