Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cheap Challenging Puzzles
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:48 pm 

Hi,

Lately I'm kinda bored with the easy puzzles I've got, which only take a few minutes or less to solve, and am looking for puzzles that take a longer time to solve (20 min +).
I've ordered the Geranium Puzzle as a start and hope to see it arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone know some more challenging (mass-produced) puzzles for less than 40 dollars each? (Would love to get an Eitan's Star, but 100 dollar for a single puzzle is out of the question for me personally.)

To see which puzzles I already have, there is a link in my signature to all the puzzles I have right now.

Thanks in advance for the responses,

Greetz,
Quuador

PS: In the mean time I'll make and (edit: try to :lol: ) solve some random bandaged 3x3x3 Cubes with my CubeTwist Bandaged DIY kit. Hopefully they'll make a 4x4x4 or 5x5x5 kit in the near future. :wink: *fingers crossed*

Post subject: Re: Cheap Challenging Puzzles
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:59 pm 

The 4x4 octahedron is probably the best puzzle I know of for the money. Even though it's a 4x4 shape mod, it comes with some very difficult parities that make the solve a good challenge. It's also fairly cheap at about $10.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:22 pm 

Since you don't have a Master Skewb, go for it! They can be had for under $20 if you shop around.

It's not quite under $40 (two bucks more) but a Starminx (the face-turning version) is quite a challenge also. There are both straight-cut and curvy-cut versions. The curvy cut version has more pieces to worry about, but those extra pieces also prevent a solve-killing parity error. Also for the same price is the Bauhinia Dodecahedron which is quite difficult.

Also, just out from Mefferts is the David Gear Cube for $36. I can't vouch for difficulty as I don't have one but it's certainly imposing-looking!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:50 pm 

I think you will have a great challange in the Geranium. I would recomend the crazy 3x3 series.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:31 pm 

I would definitely recommend getting a Cubetwist DIY bandaged kit. You can build so many puzzles from it, from very easy up to pretty much unsolvable. It's awesome, and I'm sure a lot of fellow twisty puzzles will agree with me on it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:49 pm 

It's terrible turning quality but the Westminste iCube is one of the hardest sticker mod 3x3's I've ever handled and it's under 5 dollars. I find the Mixup PLus 4x4 takes me at least 30 minutes too

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:57 pm 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
It's terrible turning quality but the Westminste iCube is one of the hardest sticker mod 3x3's I've ever handled and it's under 5 dollars.

Trust me...the Sudoku 3x3 is MUCH harder. I've only ever solved mine once.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:22 pm 

benpuzzles wrote:

Ah, I never handled one before because they terrify me!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:57 am 

1NSAN3 wrote:
I would definitely recommend getting a Cubetwist DIY bandaged kit. You can build so many puzzles from it, from very easy up to pretty much unsolvable. It's awesome, and I'm sure a lot of fellow twisty puzzles will agree with me on it!

Already got this one ;)

TheCubingKyle wrote:
I find the Mixup PLus 4x4 takes me at least 30 minutes too

This one certainly looks interesting, probably gonna buy this one.

benpuzzles wrote:
TheCubingKyle wrote:
It's terrible turning quality but the Westminste iCube is one of the hardest sticker mod 3x3's I've ever handled and it's under 5 dollars.

Sudoku Cube seems more appealing to me then the Westminste iCube. But I've only seen loose stickers, not an actual Cube with the Sudoku sticker-mod. Any recommendations where to buy the actual cubes + stickers cheap with shipping to The Netherlands?

Jared wrote:
Since you don't have a Master Skewb, go for it! They can be had for under $20 if you shop around.

Also an interesting Cube I will put on my wishlist to buy soon.
Jared wrote:
It's not quite under $40 (two bucks more) but a Starminx (the face-turning version) is quite a challenge also. There are both straight-cut and curvy-cut versions. The curvy cut version has more pieces to worry about, but those extra pieces also prevent a solve-killing parity error. Also for the same price is the Bauhinia Dodecahedron which is quite difficult.

Also, just out from Mefferts is the David Gear Cube for $36. I can't vouch for difficulty as I don't have one but it's certainly imposing-looking!

Will keep them in mind, but at the moment I got some other puzzles I find more appealing when I look at them at first for my wishlist. Maybe in the future I get back to these, so thanks for the suggestions.

benpuzzles wrote:
The 4x4 octahedron is probably the best puzzle I know of for the money. Even though it's a 4x4 shape mod, it comes with some very difficult parities that make the solve a good challenge. It's also fairly cheap at about $10.

Seen it before and kinda forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder. Ordered it right away from hknowstore. It's free shipping anyway, so don't have to buy multiple puzzles at the same time there. :D

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Just another question. Does anyone have the Pocket Geranium and/or Mini Geranium, and are they recommended after I already ordered the normal Geranium?

More suggestions are always welcome. ;)

Greetz,
Quuador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:22 am 

Quuador wrote:
1NSAN3 wrote:
I would definitely recommend getting a Cubetwist DIY bandaged kit. (...)

Already got this one ;)
(...)

Cool, do you like it?

Quuador wrote:
Any recommendations where to buy the actual cubes + stickers cheap with shipping to The Netherlands?

(...)

I have ordered puzzles from a couple of dutch stores, and other than that HKnowstore, Lightake and Dinodirect.
In this thread I've asked about some of the experiences fellow TP members have with different webshops, maybe it's useful to you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:28 am 

1NSAN3 wrote:
Quuador wrote:
1NSAN3 wrote:
I would definitely recommend getting a Cubetwist DIY bandaged kit.

Already got this one ;)

Cool, do you like it?

Definitely! Already made quite a lot of bandaged puzzles with it and solved some of it as well. In also designed some new ones myself, which can be found at page 4 of this thread: Solving the Bandaged 3x3x3. Every Bandaged Design I can find / design myself I put in a Word-doc. Right now I have around 80 different ones, though I barely solved any of these yet ;) Some are just too hard for me.

1NSAN3 wrote:
Quuador wrote:
Any recommendations where to buy the actual cubes + stickers cheap with shipping to The Netherlands?

I have ordered puzzles from a couple of dutch stores, and other than that HKnowstore, Lightake and Dinodirect.
In this thread I've asked about some of the experiences fellow TP members have with different webshops, maybe it's useful to you.

Ah yeah, I recently added the webshops I bought puzzles from so far to that thread. Will look for some new sites there, thanks.

Greetz,
Quuador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:39 am 

Have you tried the Square-1? It's a challenging shapeshifting puzzle that costs 16 USD at the HkNowStore (free shipping as well).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:01 am 

cubeguy314 wrote:
Have you tried the Square-1? It's a challenging shapeshifting puzzle that costs 16 USD at the HkNowStore (free shipping as well).

Yep, got a Square-1. For a list of which puzzles I already have, see the collection-link in my signature.

Greetz,
Quuador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:54 am 

benpuzzles wrote:
TheCubingKyle wrote:

Why the sudoku 3x3 is hard? I mean I solved a couple of sticker mods, (but I never tried the sudoku one) and I can't understand why a puzzle with numbers is hard?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:06 am 

SzG wrote:
benpuzzles wrote:
TheCubingKyle wrote:

Why the sudoku 3x3 is hard? I mean I solved a couple of sticker mods, (but I never tried the sudoku one) and I can't understand why a puzzle with numbers is hard?

Well it's harder because you need to figure out the solved state.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:49 pm 

Drake wrote:
SzG wrote:

Yes, but you need to figure out the solved state at the maze, letter or on the tic-tac-toe cube.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:17 pm 

SzG wrote:
Drake wrote:
SzG wrote:

Yes, but you need to figure out the solved state at the maze, letter or on the tic-tac-toe cube.

True, those are probably equally difficult as the Soduku Cube. But when you said picture mods in your previous post, I personally, and I think Drake as well, were more thinking about picture mods like: this, this or this. So basically a picture cube where you know the solved state before you are going to solve it.
With the Sudoku Sticker Mod, and indeed also with the Maze, Letter or Tic-Tac-Toe Sticker Mods, you don't know the solved state when solving it (unless you remembered it ofc), making it harder than the examples above.

Greetz,
Quuador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:48 pm 

Quuador wrote:
True, those are probably equally difficult as the Soduku Cube. But when you said picture mods in your previous post, I personally, and I think Drake as well, were more thinking about picture mods like: this, this or this. So basically a picture cube where you know the solved state before you are going to solve it.
With the Sudoku Sticker Mod, and indeed also with the Maze, Letter or Tic-Tac-Toe Sticker Mods, you don't know the solved state when solving it (unless you remembered it ofc), making it harder than the examples above.

Greetz,
Quuador

Thanks to make that clear to me, I didn't understand why everyone says sudoku cube as an example as a hard cube, when there are some other hard 3x3 sticker mods.

Thanks,
SzG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:24 am 

Ok, since I made this post I already bought some more puzzles that can be found at the updates of my collection-link in my signature.

And right now I decide to buy some more puzzles again. First I had a few different puzzles in my shopping cart, like the Master Skewb, 7-colored Nautilus, 4x4 Mixup Cube and such. But while I was looking through the webshops for cool puzzles and through the twistypuzzles forum for favorite puzzles of other people, I came across the Eitan's Star so many times.. I would love to get it, but at the same time I have two concerns: 1. It's pretty expensive for me. 2. I'm currently still solving the Geranium Puzzle (hardest one I've ever done) and I'm kinda concerned the Eitan's Star will join the club of close to impossible to solve puzzles for me (and especially since it costs quite a bit, I want to play and solve it more than once).

But, after just thinking and watching videos and forum posts for about a few hours (and close to getting a headache already thinking about Eitan's Star :lol:), I removed all the puzzles I had in my shopping cart (except for the 7-colored Nautilus I already wanted for quite some time), went to cubezz.com, where the Eitan's Star is 83 dollars instead of 99 and tried to place my order. BUT, unfortunately, PayPal is currently not working for me. So instead of feeling happy with my ordered puzzles and anticipating the arrival of them, I'm currently waiting for a response of PayPal to the e-mail I send them, so this issue can be solved. :evil: :roll:

In the meanwhile I'm watching videos of the Eitan's Star and I'm doubting once again if I should really buy it. Can anyone give me some conclusive arguments why I should definitely (or probably not) buy it? :wink: :P

Thanks in advance for the responses.

PS: Could someone help me with the set-up moves for the Geranium Puzzle, I'm close but stuck again.

Greetz,
Quuador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:46 pm 

Ok, once again I decided to buy it, and now that the problems with PayPal are over (they called me about 2-3 hours after I send them an e-mail, so good customer support for PayPal in The Netherlands) I did it. No turning back anymore. Most expensive puzzle I probably will ever get incoming! Can't wait for it to arrive! :D

Challenge to myself: Solve it within a month. :lol: (Probably not gonna happen since I'm busy with my Master's Internship and graduation, but still: Challenge accepted. ;) )

Greetz,
Quuador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:08 pm 

Good luck to you solving it. I know it's a tough one!

-d

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:37 pm 

I think most of the Chinese made puzzles are less than $40, and among those are many challenging ones, such as the crazy cube variations, and other puzzles made my MF8 and Dayan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:17 pm 

Have you ever tried a cross teaser?

http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/pu ... ?pkey=1512

This is a hard puzzle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:19 am 

Have you tried Nintendo Barrel = Ten BillionBarrel = Yo loco loco..