Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 8 is available!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:27 am 

Well Roberto, I ordered it on January 8th, 20:47 (Munich time). Pretty much immediately after I had read your post.
I never got a tracking number but an announcement from UPS on January 10th, that I shall get it today. :wink:

If you do not get yours before your business trip, we could meet in Munich ... :wink:

Actually, an email wouldn't hurt, would it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:32 am 

Zem wrote:
Christophe from the Puzzle Photography group received his apparently from the image below. I'm interested to see how it holds up performance wise compared to the current KO on the market.

Christophe's picture as already seen twice above

I cannot see your picture! This is the second time this has happened to me! Moderators, can one of you tell me why? I can nothing in the post, not even a link or url, only in the post when I press quote to quote the post! Is this because it's a https link?

[Moderator]The picture shows up in your quote as well. Have you tried the direct link
Code:
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1525159_252480598251086_1635509941_n.jpg
I think that it is preferable not to quote pictures. I have deleted it in your quote.[/Moderator]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 am 

Konrad wrote:
Well Roberto, I ordered it on January 8th, 20:47 (Munich time). Pretty much immediately after I had read your post.
I never got a tracking number but an announcement from UPS on January 10th, that I shall get it today. :wink:

Ah beautiful... I ordered it, like, 15 minutes before you O.o

Quote:
If you do not get yours before your business trip, we could meet in Munich ... :wink:

We could and should meet in Munich. When are you coming to the bavarian capital? (move reply to DM?)

Quote:
Actually, an email wouldn't hurt, would it?

Done.

Roberto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:29 pm 

1NSAN3 wrote:
Zem wrote:
Christophe from the Puzzle Photography group received his apparently from the image below. I'm interested to see how it holds up performance wise compared to the current KO on the market.

Christophe's picture as already seen above

I cannot see your picture! This is the second time this has happened to me! Moderators, can one of you tell me why? I can nothing in the post, not even a link or url, only in the post when I press quote to quote the post! Is this because it's a https link?

[Moderator]The picture shows up in your quote as well. Have you tried the direct link
Code:
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1525159_252480598251086_1635509941_n.jpg
I think that it is preferable not to quote pictures. I have deleted it in your quote.[/Moderator]

Yeah, I did find the link, but not in his post, I had to press quote first to find it. In his post there is only words, and then a blank space. What is causing this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:38 pm 

1NSAN3 wrote:
1NSAN3 wrote:
Zem wrote:

Christophe's picture as already seen twice above

Code:

Yeah, I did find the link, but not in his post, I had to press quote first to find it. In his post there is only words, and then a blank space. What is causing this?

I'm not sure why it isn't showing up for some people. . I can see it just fine. I just copied the direct link of the .jpg from FaceBook and posted it here in the IMG tags.

[Moderator]Let us try to continue this in PM conversation. Please, send a PM to Sandy, DLitwin, Darryl, katsmom, Konrad , if you have the same problem. I have no explanation.
We should not derail this thread any further.[/Moderator]

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ZemPuzzles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:52 pm 

Ahhh you were hotlinking. Since you can see the picture it means it was in your cache and that is why it is showing up. If one hasn't seen the image on facebook yet it will not show up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:29 pm 

Just heard that that could not be the case.

I wonder what it is then. It IS hotlinking though, be careful with that :)

*ponders what on earth the cause COULD be then*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:31 pm 

A picture of the V-Cube 8's mechanism was posted on the SpeedSolving forum. (Unless I missed something earlier in this thread, it hasn't been mentioned here.) It was posted there in this post. The same image is below. Based on the image's URL, I think that it was posted to Facebook; I'm not sure though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:34 pm 

That is just gorgeous hehe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 pm 

They should make a MF8+V-CUBE logo, to credit both companies.
Great improvement to the design, and I suggest that you also make a V7-sized one. :D
Is this mechanism used in the new V6b?

I hope it rains on your parade
I hope you have a lousy day today

Just Kidding! Have a great day!

Sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:10 pm 

mocenigo wrote:
Umpf. I have ordered it immediately and I still have no active tracking number...
Roberto
Same here. No tracking number. I have sent V-Cubes an inquiry about it and will post an update if they tell me something useful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:51 pm 

For what it's worth, I had the same issue. Ordered, but no followup. I sent vcubes this:
Quote:
Hi

I ordered a vcube 8 from you. It was order 42423

I can't see any tracking number or any way of following the progress of this item. Could you advise please? I'm quite concerned at it getting "lost" in the system...

They replied:
Quote:
Hi,

Your order is scheduled to be dispatched tomorrow morning. An automated e-mail by UPS will be sent to you as soon as this takes place. From that moment on you will be able to track your order to delivery.

That was 2 days ago, and I still have no automated email from UPS or any other advice on tracking number.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:24 pm 

NEWCUBES wrote:
In case anyone is wondering,we would like to let you know that we have done the V8 together with Mf8. They respect our IP(not like Shengshou and many others) and they admitted that even this 8x8 that they have designed in the past was infringing our patent and asked for co-operation. So we now produce it together. :-)

QFE. This is a fantastic thing! I hope both companies continue to work together in the future!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:48 pm 

Zeotor wrote:
A picture of the V-Cube 8's mechanism was posted on the SpeedSolving forum. It was posted there in this post. Based on the image's URL, I think that it was posted to Facebook; I'm not sure though.

That was mine. I initially posted it on my public Facebook page, and then I linked it to my post. Sorry, I suppose I should've posted it on here as well, but thanks for doing it for me.

So far the outer layers don't turn as as well as the inner layers, so it's a little tricky to only turn an outer layer while keeping the inner layer in place. But I still have more breaking in, lubricating, and tensioning before I know for sure. But I've been waiting for the official V-Cube 8 for over 5 years now so I'm still excited to have one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:08 pm 

So I guess this is an 8x8x8 with a 2x2x2 core, much like MF8 promised with a 6x6x6 I believe. Still, nice to see a V8 that isn't drinkable. :D Don't mind my terrible joke. Can't wait for the V9, V10, and V11, though we might have to wait a few more years. :evil: It's a waiting game, and I'm losing (patience, that is).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:15 pm 

I guess now we know the reason Mf8 ended with 8...
Does this mean they will collaborate for another V7 with 7 Towns?
(ok, that was a bad joke)

:? :mrgreen:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:35 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:

Pantazis

I found that pretty good actually.

Will Cube4You make a V-4 with a different mech? Stay tuned for next episode!
(Okay, I see what you mean now...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:03 pm 

NXTgen wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

Pantazis

I found that pretty good actually.

Will Cube4You make a V-4 with a different mech? Stay tuned for next episode!
(Okay, I see what you mean now...)

LOL!!!!!!!!!! (I did not expect that)

:lol:

Pantazis

PS. In any case, will be flying to Nuremberg in the next days, and going again
to the biggest Toy Fair of all - V-cubes will have a huge booth - should be very interesting! :-)

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:06 am 

NEWCUBES wrote:
In case anyone is wondering,we would like to let you know that we have done the V8 together with Mf8. They respect our IP(not like Shengshou and many others) and they admitted that even this 8x8 that they have designed in the past was infringing our patent and asked for co-operation. So we now produce it together. :-)
Congratulations to the Verdes and MF8 companies on this release!

It makes me really happy to see that collaboration is possible. I think it is great for two companies that are well known for their separate innovations can get together for the good of all.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:07 am 

MeMyselfAndPi wrote:
So far the outer layers don't turn as as well as the inner layers, so it's a little tricky to only turn an outer layer while keeping the inner layer in place. But I still have more breaking in, lubricating, and tensioning before I know for sure. But I've been waiting for the official V-Cube 8 for over 5 years now so I'm still excited to have one.
I don't have issues with outer layer turning. I can turn an outer layer with one finger not holding the next inner layer. (I tested it consciously after lubrication, only).
Yesterday, I have lubricated my puzzle and scrambled and solved it once more. It turns really well (no tensioning, I'll probably never take it apart :wink: Any hints out there on the Internet, if I ever want it to do?).

I have an issue with most of the white stickers, though: Some surplus silicone spray made many partially transparent. (White only!)
They do not look so nice as before (this happened with cheap stickers on other puzzles before, but never with mf8, Cubesmith, Oliver's, ...).
I got a second set of stickers from V-Cubes, but I really hope now for Cubesmith tiles.

Cubesmith, do you hear me?

I appreciate tiles, knowing that they will last forever :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:44 am 

Hi puzzlers,

there is something I dont really understand - maybe somebody can explain that to me.

Why there is such a hype and such a huge thread around that V-cube 8?
What makes this puzzle so special?
As far as I know it is nothing really new. I saw other mass produced 8x8 puzzles in several online shops.
Or do I miss something?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:14 pm 

hello

maybe its because v-cubes first suggested that it was possible to make higher order puzzles all the way up to 11x11, but never mass produced one bigger than 7x7. People were getting tired of waiting until another company produced one, but then people got really touchy about it not being an official product. Thats why there was no official 8x8 competition. Now that v-cubes has officially produced one, everyone is happy. I like v-cube products. I Buy both products anyway. I just like puzzles.
That's just one reason.

by the way, I got my tracking number. should be delivered on Thursday. Has anyone reviewed it on youtube?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:03 pm 

doctor twist wrote:
Hi puzzlers,

there is something I dont really understand - maybe somebody can explain that to me.

As far as I know it is nothing really new. I saw other mass produced 8x8 puzzles in several online shops.
Or do I miss something?

Well, there are quite a few reasons.

1. Verdes is the guy that invented the first large cubes (6x6x6 and larger), and patented the ideas. His 5x5x5 was the first to be actually good. His concepts have influenced the development of countless designs, and have proven very flexible. So there is always high expectations.

2. Most 8x8x8 (and 9x9x9 and so on) designed so far infringe on some of the claims of Verdes' patent. So a product by Verdes is "legit". A lot of members of this forum do not buy the big cubes made by others because of this reason, so this is the "first" 8x8x8 for them.

3. Because of reason 2, this may even pave the way to 8x8x8 challenges at official competitions, even though I do not really see the point in that ;-)

4. This one is even a cooperation with MF8, whereas the "other" one, even if it is not pillowed, just copies the internals of Verdes' design (with minor changes, and a different core locking mechanism). Whereas there have been rumours of talks with Dayan on other designs, and about cross licensing involved in the use of the taiwan patent on the [removed] core locking mechanism - this is the first time AFAIK there is an official statement by Verdes about cooperation. This is big IMNSHO.

Roberto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:07 pm 

doctor twist wrote:
Hi puzzlers,

Or do I miss something?

All of the other 8x8 puzzles on the market are knock off puzzles that violate the V-cube patent. Since V-cubes is making this puzzle, it's a genuine 8x8 that doesn't violate any laws. Now I have an excuse to purchase one, so yay!

-d

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:40 pm 

Ah ok I see. Thank you very much for clarifying things for me.
But if they have the patent and are the inventors of the mechanism, why they let their customers wait for such a long time?

Btw, I hope V-cube is planning to produce high order cuboids too :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:25 pm 

doctor twist wrote:
But if they have the patent and are the inventors of the mechanism, why they let their customers wait for such a long time?
Why have they taken such a long time? Try asking V-Cubes, maybe they have to spend so much money defending their patents? And buying KO cubes is left entirely to the conscience of the buyer, just don't post on these forums about your evil decision :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:05 pm 

Gus wrote:
doctor twist wrote:
Why have they taken such a long time? Try asking V-Cubes, maybe they have to spend so much money defending their patents? And buying KO cubes is left entirely to the conscience of the buyer, just don't post on these forums about your evil decision :twisted:

Hello Gus

You should read my post more carefully. I did not talk about any decision. I am just interested in backround information about this specific cube.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:31 am 

doctor twist: If you read a bit about our KO policy you will find answers to your questions. For example this should give some perspective on your question of timing.

Gus: (In case others misinterpret your comments) We (Forum staff) are pretty clear on what we think is respectful (and tailor our policy to best meet it) but are also clear that we're not trying to make others agree. To each their own decisions. As for posting about buying that is not forbidden as long as it does not violate our policy regarding links, manufacturer names and in general respect. You will find numerous references to members and puzzles we deem KO in their collections and as longs as it stops short of disrespect (i.e. promotion, etc.) that is fine.

Dave :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:33 am 

Logistics are crazy. My V-CUBE 8 is scheduled to be delivered today. To reduce the amount of off-topic stuff in this thread I have written here: http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26700

Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:47 am 

rline wrote:
For what it's worth, I had the same issue. Ordered, but no followup. [...]
They replied:
Quote:
Hi,
Your order is scheduled to be dispatched tomorrow morning. An automated e-mail by UPS will be sent to you as soon as this takes place. From that moment on you will be able to track your order to delivery.

That was 2 days ago, and I still have no automated email from UPS or any other advice on tracking number.

Yeah, I got a similar email. The ups saver service claims to deliver within 8 work days, but once the package starts moving, they deliver it within one day - inside europe at least, I am not sure where you are. But they cannot be too fast otherwise who ships by the faster and more expensive services? (Not to mention the fact that these would also qualitatively suffer.) I guess the package just stays a few days at their warehouse or they wait a few days before actually picking it up from the sender.

Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:12 am 

mocenigo wrote:
Yeah, I got a similar email. The ups saver service claims to deliver within 8 work days, but once the package starts moving, they deliver it within one day - inside europe at least, I am not sure where you are. But they cannot be too fast otherwise who ships by the faster and more expensive services?

Well I'm in Australia. I did get an automated email and also a reply from a vcubes person to my personal email to them. So all looks to be on track. But I don't think there's any way it will be here before about 2 weeks. Australia is like another solar system when it comes to parcel delivery. Vcubes also gave me only one (expensive) shipping option, and then also charged me some extra fee on top of that right at the last step. A little unexpected and not really welcome. I ended up paying $106 AUD to have it from them. I'm happy to support vcubes but it's a reasonable amount of money. I notice nowstore has them for $78 US, but interestingly, the words "Free Shipping" don't appear, so I suspect I'd end up paying something similar through nowstore anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 am 

rline wrote:
Australia is like another solar system when it comes to parcel delivery.

I hear you and I sympathise!!!! My entire collection of a few thousand puzzles was made by
buying puzzles whose postage was more expensive than the puzzles themselves!
(and sometimes the customs had a few damaged, while courier companies tried - illegally -
to charge me more!).

Since 2013, I am not based in Australia any more, and I must say, postage-wise things have improved!

:)

Pantazis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:19 am 

hello

just got my V-Cube 8. Its fantastic. Turns well out of the box, the stickers have been put on perfectly. Its just as good out of the box as the 'other' 8x8. Doing turns on it, it does feel and sound like the Dayan Mf8 4x4 V1. They also give you a spare set of stickers. Look closely at the bottom of the package. I think this bodes well for the 9,10 and 11 v-cubes and also the new 6x6 due out later this month. All in all its a very good product from V-Cubes and is well worth buying. It does turn better than the v-cube 7.
Overall i'm very impressed with the cube.

ps just solved it a couple of times. really enjoyable to solve. To be truthful, I think both 8x8's are fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:31 pm 

Just arrived!
Attachment:
Photo on 16-01-14 at 18.26.jpg
Photo on 16-01-14 at 18.26.jpg [ 178.03 KiB | Viewed 3495 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:42 pm 

Ha! The look of the very content puzzle owner! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:11 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
doctor twist: If you read a bit about our KO policy you will find answers to your questions. For example this should give some perspective on your question of timing.

Dave :)

Hello Dave

thank you very much for the link. Now I can understand why this cube is such a big deal. (and also the misinterpretation of my question)
But how can one know if a puzzle that you see in any store is an "illegal copy"/KO.
I.e. up to now I did not know that the 8x8 v-cube is the first legal 8x8 cube.
Is there a list of legal puzzles anywhere?

Last edited by doctor twist on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:45 pm 

Konrad wrote:
MeMyselfAndPi wrote:
So far the outer layers don't turn as as well as the inner layers, [..].
I don't have issues with outer layer turning. I can turn an outer layer with one finger not holding the next inner layer. (I tested it consciously after lubrication, only).

The outer layers turn just fine on mine. Sometimes the turning catches a bit. The pieces are not capped, which is a pity. Also, a little piece popped out, but it was not too difficult to put it back in.

Quote:
Yesterday, I have lubricated my puzzle and scrambled and solved it once more. It turns really well (no tensioning, I'll probably never take it apart :wink: Any hints out there on the Internet, if I ever want it to do?).

I have an issue with most of the white stickers, though: Some surplus silicone spray made many partially transparent. (White only!)
They do not look so nice as before (this happened with cheap stickers on other puzzles before, but never with mf8, Cubesmith, Oliver's, ...).

The stickers are very poor - simple paper stickers, of the same horrible quality you find on the V-CUBE 4.
Such nice puzzles, and the best thing should be actually to replace them immediately - bit V-CUBE 8 stickers are not yet on the market (except for the original ones - which suck). Nowadays you can find this type of stickers on polish cubes sold on flea markets.

Roberto

Quote:
I got a second set of stickers from V-Cubes, but I really hope now for Cubesmith tiles.

Cubesmith, do you hear me?

I appreciate tiles, knowing that they will last forever :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:16 pm 

Hi Roberto,

I'm really glad to hear that the clicking mechanism is gone. I think this was what we all expected, and it would have been a major disappointment if this factor wasn't improved.

It's a pity to hear that the stickers are of poor quality. Frankly, what a letdown (considering the amount of stickers), this wasn't always the case with Vcubes, the stickers were always acceptable.

The other thing I'm hearing is `uncapped` parts? This is also unbelievable to me. Can you photograph the uncapped parts?

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:21 pm 

rline wrote:
They replied:
Quote:
Hi,

I emailed V-Cubes about my order and was told it had just been shipped. Then I received a UPS tracking number. I think that emailing V-Cubes is worthwhile for those who have concerns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:34 am 

NEWCUBES wrote:

There is a funny contradiction in the long leaflet at the bottom of the package. Near the signature picture of Verdes' holding a cube there is the usual blurb stating that "V-CUBE™ products are MADE IN GREECE.", but on the back, after that disclaimer that it is not suitable to children under three it says "MADE IN CHINA."

I suggest to fix this. And I guess I will keep this - it may have collectors value in a few years ;-)

It turns very nicely, better than the V7. It is a great addition to my collection and it is fun to solve.

Roberto

PS: Please use better stickers. Recently the sticker quality has gone really downhill.

Last edited by mocenigo on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:53 am 

doctor twist wrote:
Is there a list of legal puzzles anywhere?
Yes, in fact you can find the Non-KO puzzle list as a sticky up at the top of the Marketplace forum.

The Verdes cubes have been listed since its creation as well as the information that all non-Verdes big cubes >5x5x5 and <12x12x12 (so far) are considered KO.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 pm 

Unfortunately it's extremely difficult to maintain the list. If you are ever unsure, you could always send a PM to a moderator asking.

-d

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 pm 

I've read lots of very good things about the new mechanism but lots of very bad things about the stickers. I'm going to wait for CubeSmith to sell stickers for it before I order one. Hopefully this won't take too long. This will also allow time for more online stores to carry it since buying directly from Verdes is pricy, especially the shipping costs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:36 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
Yes, in fact you can find the Non-KO puzzle list as a sticky up at the top of the Marketplace forum.

The Verdes cubes have been listed since its creation as well as the information that all non-Verdes big cubes >5x5x5 and <12x12x12 (so far) are considered KO.
Thank you Dave. That´s good to know.
darryl wrote:
Unfortunately it's extremely difficult to maintain the list. If you are ever unsure, you could always send a PM to a moderator asking.
Thank you Darryl. If I have doubts I am going to ask a moderator.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:22 am 

Solving it is mostly boring, but it can be fun. You have three sets of edge pieces that can have parity, so you have to solve parity in 7/8 of the solves. I have solved it three times and always had edge parity to solve - they can all be solved using one algorithm, a variant of r2 B2 U2 l U2 r' U2 r U2 F2 r F2 l' B2 r2 where the r and l moves are replaced by moves of one slice or two non-adjacent slices.

My favourite situation is the one I call the "fork", which can be seen here:
Attachment:
IMG_11098.JPG
IMG_11098.JPG [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 2996 times ]

On a different matter: it can pop. At some point six pieces sprang out. It was not too difficult to put them back in (a hidden layer mechanism would have been more annoying) but the mech is less stable than the V-CUBE 7 (and this is to be expected, I guess).

Roberto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04 pm 

How does it compare to certain KO 8x8, 9x9, and 10x10? I am planning on buying a bigger cube and care mostly about turning quality and poppability.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:44 am 

cuberboy13 wrote:
How does it compare to certain KO 8x8, 9x9, and 10x10? I am planning on buying a bigger cube and care mostly about turning quality and poppability.
I got "the other" 8x8x8 to get a direct personal impression. I bought it for scientific reasons, if you will :lol:
It is my first big cube that is KO. (I will never buy the bigger ones, if they are not available from V-Cubes first.)

I wanted to make my own comparison.
I paid roughly the same Euro price as for the V-Cube 8.
When the V-Cube becomes available in local shops avoiding high shipping costs, it will be probably less expensive.

My first impression:
    The "other" 8x8x8 is a bit smaller and cubic. Personally, I would prefer the pillowed V-Cube. It is somehow closer to the impression of proportional cubies.

The "other" came in a horribly greased form. It was shipped by a local reseller and I cannot tell if it is greased by the manufacturer

The stickers of the other cube do not look so great, either. I liked the V-Cube 8 stickers at arrival better, but they suffered due to lubrication. I hope for Cubesmith stickers - or even better: better tiles - for the V-Cube.

Turning of both is good. Currently my V-Cube 8 turns better. OK, I have solved it twice and lubricated it with my preferred silicone spray.

I had no pops on any of both. Maybe, I'm a bit more careful (and slower) with my turns than others. mocenigo has described a pop on the V-8 and said that it was easy to be repaired.

As everybody knows, solving big cubes is not a new challenge, once you can solve the 5x5x5.
    I never wanted some "illegal big cubes", but I ordered the V-Cube 8 immediately when I learned about its availability.
    Afterwards I read a lot on a different forum along the lines "Why would we need a Verdes 8x8x8, when the other is already available." - and more negative stuff.
    I wanted to get my own impression.

My personal verdict is:
    The two have not the same legal state (As far as I know, the "other" is illegal, at least in Germany and most Western countries. It infringes a Verdes patent.)
    If they would, I would still prefer the V-Cube.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:49 pm 

I received my V-Cube 8 earlier this week. It came with an extra set of stickers. The stickers seem fine to me. I made an unboxing and impressions video (only V-Cubes are shown in the video).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 pm 

So, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but how does the plastic differ in the V-8 as compared to the V-2 to 7?

If it was made in China, and all V-cubes have been made in Greece so far (to my knowledge), then would the plastic quality/strength suffer as a result? I don't mean to say that it should be lower quality, but inspecting the picture of the mech by MM&Pi, I seemed to *see* a difference in the quality.

Can anyone vouch for the plastic being worse, same, or better? I'm very hesitant about buying the V-8 because of the plastic quality. Turning and size don't bother me, but plastic quality (strength, thickness, etc) and stickers do and about 30 minutes ago I thought that maybe V-7 stickers/tiles from cubesmith may fit this puzzle nicely. I can't say for sure as I don't have one in my hands, but maybe the sticker problem could be remedied with the Cubesmith sets.

Don't get me wrong, I want a V-8 (beverage jokes aside) but the plastic is making me quite hesitant... Stickers bother me, but can be dealt with easier than the plastic itself.

Which brings me to my next point: Will the V-6b have stickers like this, and will the mech be like the V-8 with the "ball core" too? I liked the 6x6 with the V-mech, but if they went through the trouble to make another mechanism for this, I may just stay with the clicky-mech. I like it, but while improvements can be done, it seems like the 6b shouldn't have taken so long. And will there be a flat V-6 version 2? The questions I have are large in quantity (like AOL discs) but I'm rambling at this point.

So, does anyone have any comments specifically about the plastic of the V-8?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:56 pm 

NXTgen wrote:
So, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but how does the plastic differ in the V-8 as compared to the V-2 to 7?

I have no idea and this is strictly speculation, however, to me it appears that the core looks very different from the majority of v-cube plastic. I don't really recall ever seeing plastic that shiny from them, it is always a little "Dull". The outside pieces do look like V-cubes plastic though.
I don't think it would be very practical for the core to be made in China and everything else in Greece, but at the same time things like that happen all the time.

Any one else have any idea? would V-cubes care to share some info along these lines?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next