Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Imperial or Metric? (Last poll selection is optional, hence 2 votes)
Imperial. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Imperial but live in Metric using area. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Imperial but live in Imperial using area. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Metric. 32%  32%  [ 17 ]
Metric but live in Metric using area. 25%  25%  [ 13 ]
Metric but live in Imperial using area. 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Mainly Metric but also Imperial. 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Mainly Imperial but also Metric. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Both are equal in use and preference. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Did you notice the order of the poll question words before answering? It is alphabetically ordered from A to Z. 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 53
 Post subject: Measurement systems: Metric or Imperial? (poll)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:04 pm 

So a little background why I made this topic:
NOTE: I use parentheses for a thought or explanation, so my apologies if you got lost reading

I had been using Imperial (Inches, feet, yards, miles, fahrenheit, etc.) since I've grown from year to year, and thought it was ridiculous how the numbers are never make a solid pattern (12 inches = 1 foot, 3 feet = 1 yard, 5,280 feet/1,760 yards = 1 mile). I'd complain while in grade school that I think centimeters was much more accurate when measuring (hadn't heard of metric yet) and we measured things often for whatever reason, and I'd write my findings in centimeters. Later, I got called over and was told to re-measure the objects but use inches instead, or my work would be worth 0 points toward my grade. So being a grade-schooler, I had argued my point as much as I was able to, and ended up remeasuring the objects.

I had been using metric measurements on my own time and never on my work in school, mostly because I'd get crazy decimal points when converting, and end up getting the "wrong answer". So now i fast forward a bit, and I get into an 8th grade science class, and they said "Celsius" and kilometers when talking about the sun and the distance from earth. So I was shocked and confused about this abrupt change, so without thinking I asked "Why are we using Celsius and Kilometers?". The teacher gave me an odd look of confusion and irritation and responded with "Because this is science." I still wasn't sure why there was a random switch from normal measuring, until science class.

Fast forward to about 1 month ago, and I ask my uncle a question (he's an architect, so inevitably, he would use measuring systems to do work). My question was "So for your work, do you use Imperial, or Metric?" I had already asked people beforehand while using "Imperial" in the question, and they look like I'm crazy (I later realize after 2 seconds they didn't know that word :? 8-) :lol: [put those 3 together and you'll see my facial expression]). So my uncle, whom I thought would for sure know this word, stopped for a moment, and said "I use what we use in America." And don't get me wrong, he's smart, he even made the blueprints for his OWN HOUSE and modifies it occasionally, but he then responded with "I can't stand Metric. It just isn't easy to understand."

So before I get to my point, he explained why he hates using it, which involved inches being divided into 10s so he works with 1.2 units then converts, then uses Imperial, and metric throws it all off. Personally, that is a bit absurd to me, but it isn't my place to complain about his work :lol: . However, he did mention that if I did enter the architecture portion of jobs, I'd be better off in a country using Metric because I'd be considered crazy for not using Imperial. 3 countries use Imperial, and I think that is a big problem, but hey, I'd like to live out of the US. Maybe I can get a different accent in the end :lol:

So the point of this topic is to see what the TP users prefer using, and what they prefer using based on where they are located. For instance, I reside in the US, and use Metric, but have to convert to Imperial to have peers understand what length I'm describing.

So the poll has a few answers, and I'll try to work with this, but I'd also like to know what everyone else thinks about these systems, and why they use each system. And "Imperial" implies the different versions of it like US to UK Imperial, and other areas like Canada.

Personally, I wish the US would adopt the Metric system, and we can, but it would reign chaos from the change because a lot of people don't know Metric.

For some ideas of the conversions, here is a link to give a general overview of it all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units#Units

(Btw, I am interested in architecture as an occupation, as well as mechanical engineering, and IT if those fail. Pretty much all I'm good at in a occupational mindset :roll: )

Post subject: Re: Measurement systems: Metric or Imperial? (poll)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:10 pm 

If you're confused on imperial measurement conversions, this video should clear things up. Really, it's such a simple system! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:21 pm 

benpuzzles wrote:
If you're confused on imperial measurement conversions, this video should clear things up. Really, it's such a simple system! :lol:

:lol: Numberphile is great, and hearing this video made me laugh. I know about all this, and my main point was that Imperial seems really "off" if you will. It doesn't create a simple pattern to follow (unless you listen to this video :lol: ) like Metric does.

I debate with my classes every so often and explain benefits and how simple Metric is, but they disagree. However, showing them this will just have them laugh. No joke.

I really don't like the Imperial system, mostly due to the fractions being present so often (yes, Metric does this too, but is in base-10 not a changing base).

I'll re think this more, but I'm still finding that Metric is easier. I'll find a way to like Imperial, but that may take a bit.

(My art teacher that made the stickers for my Crazy Dino Cube recently came to the US, about 2-4 years ago, and is so surprised I know Metric more 8-) )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 pm 

In my area of the USA they taught us both imperial and metric in elementary school. We were required to use both throughout our schooling. We did not however have to convert often, it was mostly use imperial for this or metric for that. Personally I do not really have a preference for either, metric seems to be a bit more precise in the smaller mesurements but when I want big measurements imperial is easier because of the way it adds up faster. To throw another twist in this topic, celcius or fahrenheit, which is better? I prefer fahrenheit because there are more numbers between freezing and boiling. That and it feels odd to say that it is 26 outside in celcius when it's 80 fahrenheit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:23 am 

Well I live on the UK and I am engineer. So, I normally use metric. But, my car travels miles per hour (or furlongs per fortnight, if I'm feeling frisky) , I drink pints of beer but buy litres of milk, I weigh myself in stones and pounds and ounces but buy grammes of foodstuffs, if it is cold I say "minus 10" meaning Centigrade, but if it is hot I say "it's 85 today" meaning Fahrenheit. I live in a very mixed up country.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:53 am 

Europe (not including our friends living on that island lost in the silver sea :D ), is pretty much metric.

Still there are old local measurements around, like "Zentner" (comes from Latin centum = 100) for 100 "Pfund" (1 Pfund = 500 grams - not exactly a "pound").
The old stuff is dyeing out more and more, I think.
(And funny enough, the same name often means different things in different parts of a country or region. E.g. A "Zentner" is 100 kg for my Austrian wife. :) )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:01 am 

Well, in the Netherlands we can have fun with 'a ton'.

A ton in kg is 1000 kg, but a ton in money is 100.000 (euro).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:34 am 

I never had imperial units in school.
Almost twelve years ago I stumbled in the IMDB about the entry of Clint Eastwood and there was written:
Heigth: 6' 4'' (back then IMDB didn't give the metric measurements)
I knew these were imperial units but I thought: "What do they want to tell me?"
That was the first time I looked up the definitions of foot and inch.

Nowadays I sometimes stumble about strange numbers in cinema. In movies translated to german you encounter very often length like 30 meters. Before the encounter above I thought: "Which screen writer picks such odd numbers?"
Months ago I read a book from Australia ins original language but printed by an US publisher. It was a kind of strange because of the "aussie glossary" on the first page and because of reading an english text constantly using kilograms and kilometers (or was it kilometres?).
garathnor wrote:
To throw another twist in this topic, celcius or fahrenheit, which is better?
From the scientific point of view both are outdated as their zero point is not the absolute zero.
But that is science.
In every day life most people deal with temperatures when it comes to the weather forecast.
0°C is of every day relevance because rain changes to snow. The streets become icy etc.
Where is the relevant change in every day life at 0°F ?
The number of steps between the freezing and boiling point could be argued. So far so true.
NXTgen wrote:
I debate with my classes every so often and explain benefits and how simple Metric is, but they disagree. However, showing them this will just have them laugh. No joke.
1. Lets compare two exercises in math:
Metric teacher asks: "You dig a hole. 1 meter long, 1 meter wide, 1 meter deep. How much volume fits into that hole?"
Metric student replies: "1000 litres"
Imperial teacher asks: "You dig a hole. 1 yard long, 1 yard wide, 1 yard deep. How much volume fits into that hole?"
Imperial student replies: "219,97 gallons"
US student replies: "In liquid or in dry gallons?" (that was mean but I couldn't resist)
2. There must be a reason the inch is not defined in a scientific way (like the metre) but by linking to the metric system.
3. Wikipedia says US soldiers are teached to use metric units. There must be a reason too.

As far as I know the USA where the first country to introduce a decimalised currency. Other countries needed 180 years more to copy this very good idea. Sadly the US didn't copy anthing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:48 pm 

Being Dutch, I grew up using the Metric system and °Celcius (not centigrade :shock: :lol: ) and the long counting system, so Imperial units and °Fahrenheit as well as billionaires always seemed strange to me.

Now, I am older and wiser. And I now know that both the Metric system, °Celcius as well as the long counting system, are so much easier to use and understand than Imperial units and Fahrenheit and the short system for counting.

This is not because of myself being overly patriotic or anything like that, but I just don't understand why people would make a choice to use systems for these things that just do not make any sense at all :roll:

I think the most logical thing, that is the easiest to understand, is what should be used in all cases that one could come up with. Just like driving on the left side of the road should be done everywhere around the world, because it's much safer than driving on the right side, though most countries have cars driving on the right side...

This world would be much better if smart and honest people made laws. People that care about more than just money, people that care about people...

But, I have no trust in governments whatsoever, so you probably shouldn't take me to seriously... 8-)

EDIT:
Quote:
Did you notice the order of the poll question words before answering? It is alphabetically ordered from A to Z
This is not true?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 pm 

1NSAN3 wrote:
I think the most logical thing, that is the easiest to understand, is what should be used in all cases that one could come up with. Just like driving on the left side of the road should be done everywhere around the world, because it's much safer than driving on the right side, though most countries have cars driving on the right side...

WHAT??
Betrayer!

:lol:

Care to explain why you think that is?

Personally I am more into the keep your lane idea of the US, but that is me. But it surprises me that a Dutch person would state this left side driving is safer. Do tell :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:21 pm 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
1NSAN3 wrote:

WHAT??
Betrayer!

:lol:

Care to explain why you think that is?

Personally I am more into the keep your lane idea of the US, but that is me. But it surprises me that a Dutch person would state this left side driving is safer. Do tell :)

The biggest group of people in the world is right-handed, as well as right-eyed (yeah, that really exists).
When you're driving on the left, the oncoming traffic is to your right, and most people have better visual perception with their right eye, so they would more easily spot something is about to go wrong and take action. I know I've heard a couple of years ago that this was researched and proven to be true, because the amount of car-accidents in the UK compared (in % of course) to the rest of Europe, was smaller.

Maybe you can find something about it on the web?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:33 pm 

Oh wow.. now that is a whole new take on things. I am mostly right-handed, but left-eyed and left-footed (I found that out when I sprained my left ankle and couldn't get off the bleeping loo anymore :lol: )

Very interesting argument indeed.. one I never would have thought of, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:15 pm 

In every day conversation, I tend to use the United States' simplified version of the old British Imperial system as it is the only thing most people around me understand, but I much prefer working with SI since it provides a consistent metric, and derived units are defined in terms of base units instead of rather arbitrary things.

Seriously, I can understand converting cubic meters to liters since their is a simple conversion factor, but who in their right mind would convert cubic yards to gallons unless they had to?

And for what it is worth, the British Imperial System does have metrics to its units, its just not consistent and the metrics are often hidden due to units of lesser use. For example, Fluid measure is metric 2, those this fact is kind of obscured by the units equaling 2, 4, and 64 ounces being seldom used these days.

Also, prior to this thread, I always thought the left versus right for traffic was kind of arbitrary, and I still think its better to avoid having traffic in opposite directions on the same road where possible(too bad that is really only possible with highways since oneway streets tend to confuse people).

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:50 pm 

In highschool I had AP physics which was all in metric and seemed to make sense and all. Then in college I had an engineering class and all of the tests were with imperial measurements. I found it was quicker for me to convert everything to metric, do the problem, then convert back. We always had to show our work and the professor never seemed to have an issue with my work. In fact I was usually one of the first ones done.

-d

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:02 pm 

darryl wrote:
I found it was quicker for me to convert everything to metric, do the problem, then convert back.

When I get problems like this I don't find them any more difficult or slower than if they were in metric; I can convert between different measurements without much difficulty. The only difference for me is that with one system you have to annoyingly remember the confusing conversion factors, all thanks to a Barley corn :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:04 pm 

A couple of thoughts on this topic:

First, if you are based in the US you must be able to work with Imperial measures. They are a nonsense legacy system from the past, but since everyone else uses the imperial system in the US, you just have to accept that, and go along with it to get along.

Second, if you want any kind of career in science or engineering, or architecture, or any career potential abroad (in virtually every other country), then you will also need to be familiar with the metric system. You simply can't get anywhere without it.

Finally, and most important, your school and teachers have a duty to teach you both. In this global economy, you need to know the metric system, and the US education system must accept that and adapt accordingly. Remember that they are being paid to provide you, as a customer and consumer of education and learning, with a service to prepare you for a worthwhile career. They should remember that fact, otherwise you should be bold enough to remind them!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:08 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
Finally, and most important, your school and teachers have a duty to teach you both. In this global economy, you need to know the metric system, and the US education system must accept that and adapt accordingly. Remember that they are being paid to provide you, as a customer and consumer of education and learning, with a service to prepare you for a worthwhile career. They should remember that fact, otherwise you should be bold enough to remind them!

And of course if you remind them and it falls on deaf ears, you can always learn on your own :) What's that one saying from Mark Twain? Something like "I try not to let me schooling get in the way of my education."

Even back in the early 80's when I was in elementary school in the states, they taught us both. Maybe it was the school I was in though.

-d

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 am 

Yeah, we tried to go Metric once. It failed pretty hard, much to my later dismay (I was too young to really have it affect me). So you can protest as a student all you want but I doubt it will amount to much change. I think things were going well until it hit people's driving: Miles/gallon is embedded in the American brain, and an attempt to switch to liters/kilometer (not just different units, but also the inverse) was probably just too much for the average brain to absorb.

Where it really hurts is in the trades: Auto mechanics, for example, have to have two sets of essentially the same tools, unless they specialize on just one maker of car. My socket set takes up twice the room it should, and I'm never really sure if any particular nut I want to unscrew is metric. What a real waste of time, money and space!

Sigh.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:52 am 

I wasn't suggesting that the US should - or could - change from imperial to metric (even the UK hasn't made a full transition in the minds of most people, some 40 odd years since decimalisation), but at least they should teach both systems in schools to prepare the younger generation for the wider world...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:52 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Miles/gallon is embedded in the American brain, and an attempt to switch to liters/kilometer (not just different units, but also the inverse) was probably just too much for the average brain to absorb.

Ah well, my brain has about just adopted to the euro. :lol:

So, there's a chance...

(Just try it out, and only calculate prices in GBP instead of dollars)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:53 am 

At this point, I think most Americans are comfortable with Liters whether they want to be or not. Large bottles of soda have been 2 and 3 liters for as long as I can remember, liter bottles have displaced quart bottles for most beverages, and I can't remember the last time I drank something from a pint of 20 oz bottle instead of a half liter bottle. Milk, Orange Juice and Fuel seem to be the only fluids Americans think in terms of gallons with.

Personally, I say US schools should shift to a pure SI curiculum, instilling a pro-SI mind set in the younger generation, letting their knowledge of the older system be limited to what they pick up from the older generation outside of the classroom. It will probably take a few generations of people dieing of old age before the transition is complete, but it sounds like a better option than keeping what remains of the British Imperial System on life support by deliberately teaching it to the younger generation. The British may not have completed the transition, but they are certaintly further along than the US, and I doubt any country that has made the transition from whatever measuring system they use to use managed to do so in less than a lifetime.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:46 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Personally, I say US schools should shift to a pure SI curiculum, instilling a pro-SI mind set in the younger generation, letting their knowledge of the older system be limited to what they pick up from the older generation outside of the classroom. It will probably take a few generations of people dieing of old age before the transition is complete, but it sounds like a better option than keeping what remains of the British Imperial System on life support by deliberately teaching it to the younger generation. The British may not have completed the transition, but they are certaintly further along than the US, and I doubt any country that has made the transition from whatever measuring system they use to use managed to do so in less than a lifetime.

Totally agree. Indeed, there are the traditional ways, but there are also the global ways.
In the end of the day, it is all about efficiency in unit communication.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 pm 

NXTgen wrote:
Did you notice the order of the poll question words before answering? It is alphabetically ordered from A to Z

NXTgen wrote:
Imperial or Metric? (Last poll selection is optional, hence 2 votes)
Imperial.
Imperial but live in Metric using area.
Imperial but live in Imperial using area.
Metric.
Metric but live in Metric using area.
Metric but live in Imperial using area.
Mainly Metric but also Imperial.
Mainly Imperial but also Metric.
Both are equal in use and preference.

I can't see how the poll is alphabetically ordered from A to Z!
Neither the words in each sentence nor the sentences themselves seem to be ordered alphabetically - what am I missing?

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
2. There must be a reason the inch is not defined in a scientific way (like the metre)

Perhaps this will clear that up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S8TEoa6aWI or maybe not! :lol:

A couple of maps you may find interesting:
Attachment:
metric.JPG
metric.JPG [ 33.32 KiB | Viewed 1238 times ]

Attachment:
driving.JPG
driving.JPG [ 48.7 KiB | Viewed 1238 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:57 pm 

Here is an interesting one for you:

Working as a consultant, I had to deal with energy usage at a large steel mill, and the units were all in Imperial units. The strange thing that they did (and I suspect a majority of US industry) was use roman numeral prefixes on the units. For example, 1000 BTU was written as 1mBTU, and 1,000,000 BTU was 1mmBTU. But it did not stop there! For their electricity usage, 1000kWh was written as 1mkWh (not 1MWh as a reasonable person would expect). When I put "MWh" in a report, you would have thought I was preaching heresy! Oh well, it was a rather strange place...

Also, as a Nuclear Engineer, I run into strange unit combinations as well. The Reactor power for a power plant is always measured in MW, regardless of the units used for the rest of the design. This leads to odd things like "MW/ft" for a linear power input from a fuel bundle... At least electricity is always metric...

I guess the differing factor is that Imperial is just like Metric, but with the added "fun" of complcated unit conversions.

Adam

p.s. Don't tell, but I design my puzzles in metric, but generally use imperial fasteners and other hardware as they are easier to find in my part of the world...

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:16 pm 

Konrad wrote:
Still there are old local measurements around, like "Zentner" (comes from Latin centum = 100) for 100 "Pfund" (1 Pfund = 500 grams - not exactly a "pound").

Splinter wrote:
Well, in the Netherlands we can have fun with 'a ton'.

A ton in kg is 1000 kg, but a ton in money is 100.000 (euro).

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Almost twelve years ago I stumbled in the IMDB about the entry of Clint Eastwood and there was written:
Heigth: 6' 4'' (back then IMDB didn't give the metric measurements)
I knew these were imperial units but I thought: "What do they want to tell me?"
Nowadays I sometimes stumble about strange numbers in cinema. In movies translated to german you encounter very often length like 30 meters. Before the encounter above I thought: "Which screen writer picks such odd numbers?"
Months ago I read a book from Australia ins original language but printed by an US publisher. It was a kind of strange because of the "aussie glossary" on the first page and because of reading an english text constantly using kilograms and kilometers (or was it kilometres?).
From the scientific point of view both are outdated as their zero point is not the absolute zero.
But that is science.
1. Lets compare two exercises in math:
Metric teacher asks: "You dig a hole. 1 meter long, 1 meter wide, 1 meter deep. How much volume fits into that hole?"
Metric student replies: "1000 litres"
Imperial teacher asks: "You dig a hole. 1 yard long, 1 yard wide, 1 yard deep. How much volume fits into that hole?"
Imperial student replies: "219,97 gallons"
US student replies: "In liquid or in dry gallons?" (that was mean but I couldn't resist)
2. There must be a reason the inch is not defined in a scientific way (like the metre) but by linking to the metric system.
3. Wikipedia says US soldiers are teached to use metric units. There must be a reason too.

1NSAN3 wrote:
But, I have no trust in governments whatsoever, so you probably shouldn't take me to seriously... 8-)

Kattenvriendin wrote:
I am mostly right-handed, but left-eyed and left-footed (I found that out when I sprained my left ankle and couldn't get off the bleeping loo anymore :lol: )

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Also, prior to this thread, I always thought the left versus right for traffic was kind of arbitrary, and I still think its better to avoid having traffic in opposite directions on the same road where possible(too bad that is really only possible with highways since oneway streets tend to confuse people).

darryl wrote:
In highschool I had AP physics which was all in metric and seemed to make sense and all. Then in college I had an engineering class and all of the tests were with imperial measurements. I found it was quicker for me to convert everything to metric, do the problem, then convert back. We always had to show our work and the professor never seemed to have an issue with my work. In fact I was usually one of the first ones done.

-d

DLitwin wrote:
Yeah, we tried to go Metric once...

Where it really hurts is in the trades: Auto mechanics, for example, have to have two sets of essentially the same tools, unless they specialize on just one maker of car. My socket set takes up twice the room it should, and I'm never really sure if any particular nut I want to unscrew is metric. What a real waste of time, money and space!

Dave

Splinter wrote:
Ah well, my brain has about just adopted to the euro. :lol:

So, there's a chance...

(Just try it out, and only calculate prices in GBP instead of dollars)

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
When I put "MWh" in a report, you would have thought I was preaching heresy! Oh well, it was a rather strange place...

At least electricity is always metric...

p.s. Don't tell, but I design my puzzles in metric, but generally use imperial fasteners and other hardware as they are easier to find in my part of the world...

These stories and responses just made my day :lol: :lol: . I will say that I'm thinking a little differently now, so I'll see what happens on my next measuring task.

But really, these stories are fantastic! Sure, some are really out there, but wow, I didn't expect a lot of these.

As for my A to Z thing, I think I'll just leave that alone as I seem to have lost my mind while doing that :lol: :oops: .

As for the quotes, yes I cut them up a bit, but it was for the points that really got to me most.

And Adam, your secret is safe with me :wink:

But there's one thing I believe we are all able to agree on: Fahrenheit and Celsius are out-dated, and Kelvin is great. Now... When are we going to reach 0 degrees K?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:19 pm 

Oi I don't agree on the Celsius thingie, it is all I know! :o :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:11 pm 

NXTgen wrote:
But there's one thing I believe we are all able to agree on: Fahrenheit and Celsius are out-dated, and Kelvin is great.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

PS. If it was up to me I'd measure temperature as coldness in number of goosebumps. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:29 pm 

Zzupler wrote:
A couple of maps you may find interesting:
2nd picture showing left/right driving

I always wondered, how do cars switch lanes form driving right to left and vice versa when crossing borders? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:34 pm 

Just like porcupines.. very carefully ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:53 pm 

I didn't know porcupines could drive!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:00 pm 

1NSAN3 wrote:
I always wondered, how do cars switch lanes form driving right to left and vice versa when crossing borders? :shock:

They use loop-de-loop road junctions:

... But you have to drive very fast! :lol:

PS. I would imagine they use the same way they use to allow any other two roads to cross each other, i.e., traffic lights (or traffic police) to allow one direction of traffic to cross in front of traffic coming from the other direction. Or maybe a simple bridge if traffic is heavy. Probably a lot safer and cheaper than the solution pictured above! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:31 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
1NSAN3 wrote:
They use loop-de-loop road junctions!

Maybe mobius strips? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:51 am 

Are there even left-driving countries whose roads interconnect with those of right-driving countries(if some of the above maps answer this question, please remember I can't see the maps)? Though given their superiority to intersections for preventing collisions and keeping traffic moving, I am willing to bet round-about/traffic circles/whatever you want to call them provide a decent way of allowing the lane switch that isn't too ridiculous.

n

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 am 

Hk is on the wrong side of the road. China is on the right. Or is it visa versa. At anyrate, when you cross the border driving, there is a very convoluted road system on the China side going through immigration. You go in driving on one side and come out backwards.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:29 am 

On September 3 1967 Sweden changed from driving on the left to driving on the right overnight. That must have been fun.