Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shapeways puzzle assembly help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:49 pm 

I have a Shapeways TomZ Offset Skewb 2x2x2 and am having trouble getting it to function properly. I don't have a lot of experience assembling puzzles in general so I'm not sure if it's because I put the inner pieces in wrong or I have a misprint. It doesn't turn well-it jams and the little centers pop out-some corners are really loose and others are tight.
I'm in the US close to Chicago,IL and am asking someone who knows what they're doing and lives close by to me if they could assemble it for me. I would be willing to pay said person for their time and effort and pay shipping. Please PM me if you can put it together. Your help would be appreciated. :)

Post subject: Re: Shapeways puzzle assembly help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:20 pm 

77mouser wrote:
I'm in the US close to Chicago,IL and am asking someone who knows what they're doing and lives close by to me if they could assemble it for me. I would be willing to pay said person for their time and effort and pay shipping. Please PM me if you can put it together. Your help would be appreciated. :)

I'm nowhere near Chicago but I'd be happy to assemble it for you for free and to video the process for others.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:55 pm 

I'm in the Chicago area, but not familiar with that puzzle. I could take a crack at it if you'd like. I am fairly good at assembling puzzles. I would suggest asking Tom for some advice first though.

-d

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 pm 

I'm actually in the Chicago area (Evanston, to be exact). I'd be happy to meet with you and help you assemble it. I've been meaning to reach out to you anyways, since it's always nice to meet a customer! PM me if you're interested.

-Eitan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:28 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
I'm actually in the Chicago area (Evanston, to be exact). I'd be happy to meet with you and help you assemble it. I've been meaning to reach out to you anyways, since it's always nice to meet a customer! PM me if you're interested.

-Eitan

The puzzle is in the mail to me. Between the three of us this puzzle will get assembled! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:57 pm 

Awwww... Shucks. I wish I had seen this sooner! Still, 77mouser, I'd love to meet up and play with puzzles. Darryl is invited too!

-Eitan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:20 pm 

Maybe we can try to get a Chicago meet up together. I'll write a separate post.

-d

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:16 pm 

I got the puzzle assembled. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to assemble it and then another 10 minutes to actually assemble it. The inner 2x2x2 (actually a inner 3x3x3) is designed so that each axis has a slightly different cut depth which is a creative way of preventing 90-degree turns. This threw me off for a while. I didn't realize the 2x2x2 was restricted to 180-degree turns until I examined the the design.

The puzzle is extremely sensitive to screw sizes and lengths. The inner 2x2x2 centers use M3 screws of pretty much any length >= 8mm but the screw head size must be rather small. The usual M3 screws I use for twisty puzzles had screw heads a tiny bit too big so I had to bore a slightly larger hole to accommodate the screw head. I did this by using a flat-head screwdriver that I've ground down to be .1mm wider than my screw heads so that I can insert it into the shaft and turn it to shave away a tiny bit of the printed part. I've noticed that European M3 screw heads tend to be slot-type and have a smaller diameter. US M3 screws tend to be Phillips-type and have slightly larger screw head.s

For the Skewb centers that screw into the inner 2x2x2 corners, the screws are very sensitive to length. My 10mm M3 screws were about .5mm too long. My 8mm M3 screws were about .5mm shorter than ideal. 9mm M3 screws would be ideal for this puzzle but I don't think they exist. I thought about grinding .5mm off of my 10mm screws but decided to go with 8mm screws instead. Fortunately the screw head diameter doesn't matter at all for the affixing the Skew corners to the 2x2x2 corners.