Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quality & Feel Of Stickerless Puzzles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:43 am 

Does anyone else find that the stickerless versions of puzzles just don't feel as good lately?

I have played around with a stickerless Crazy Cube and I own a Stickerless Dayan Zanchi and they feel great but my recent deliveries of Stickerless products (Wheel of Wisdom, Calvin's Crazy Cuboid) just don't have that quality feel about them and its generally put me off of stickerless ones now.

I would like to mention that I also got a Constrained cube and that quality is more like the Dayan. But then that is an older puzzle. I just don't know why the others feel so bad but it has put me off getting stickerless I think.

Anyone else?

Post subject: Re: Quality & Feel Of Stickerless Puzzles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 am 

I agree with you, that the plastic they use has changed. The crazy planets, the first versions of Guhong and Zhanchi and the Constrained cube all have that "softer", shinier deeper looking plastic. The last stickerless Zhanchi 55mm i got was harder plastic, less shiney and lacks that glow the older plastic has. There has definitely been a change in the plastic used.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:57 am 

And yet stickerless prices continue to sky-rocket.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:52 pm 

My last two puzzles made out of coloured plastic are the Gem V and the Wheel of Wisdom.
I prefer both by far compared with the black body versions I had got first - for playing that is.

Especially, the WoW doesn't feel cheap at all, in my view. It has a nice weight and the surface is perfectly smooth.
Maybe you had a bit of bad luck?
What a relief, not to worry about the small stickers any longer. :)
It turns quite a bit better too.
The stickered version went to the shelf and I view it as a nice looking collector item, but the stickerless version is fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm 

I don't have any newer stickerless past the Gem 5, which I found nothing unusual with. I would think the tiny stickers on the WOW wouldn't last a day, I would even buy a poorer turning stickerless puzzle over a smoother stickered one. Shinier surfaces on the coloured plastic occur through normal use, your fingers polish it.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:24 am 

Konrad, don't you feel like the coloured plastic on the Wow has a considerable about of flashing on the corners? that tend to be quite sharp?, I have solved it a few times and I agree the turning seems to be better than the stickered one. But it irritates my hand being stabbed every time I turn a wheel.

On the subject of the WOW I was also not overly happy with the lack of capping on the pieces. but I imagine that is the same for the stickered version.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:10 am 

AndyChilly wrote:
Konrad, don't you feel like the coloured plastic on the Wow has a considerable about of flashing on the corners? that tend to be quite sharp?, I have solved it a few times and I agree the turning seems to be better than the stickered one. But it irritates my hand being stabbed every time I turn a wheel.

On the subject of the WOW I was also not overly happy with the lack of capping on the pieces. but I imagine that is the same for the stickered version.
No, the pieces of mine have a smooth surface, I cannot feel any flashing.
I can feel no difference between the black and the coloured plastic.
As you guessed, the missing caps issue is the same on both versions.

Did you try to remove the flashing with a hobby knife or careful sanding?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 pm 

Also Andy, don't confuse a new puzzle with a nice broken in and lubed one. When I first got the MF8 coloured plastic Crazy Planets, there was really sharp flashing, and the twisting was stiff and catchy, but they have broken in to be some of the best turning puzzles I have. Sometimes it's easy to forget that.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:25 am 

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I've only solved the WoW a couple of times and it definitely already turns better than it did at first. Maybe i'm just impatient.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:22 pm 

I hate to be a traitor to my collecting roots but I must admit I have switched over to color plastic cubes for all new puzzles with small parts when they available. (I have even started buying a second copy of a puzzle if I already own the black version - where does it all end! :lol: )

I did buy both versions of the Wheel of Wisdom - I got a great discount as the store where I bought it offered a discount for purchasing two of the same puzzle and "amazingly" accepted that a black body version and a color body version of the same puzzle were in fact the same puzzle!!) Surprisingly the black body version moved better out of the box but after a few solves the color body is starting to break in and is moving about the same now.

While I wouldn't exactly describe the color plastic as cheap I do think there may be a slight difference in the type of plastic being used (it could also be the lack of caps on pieces on this puzzle though) I do think it's a great puzzle though - not too difficult but a "new" challenge and I would recommend the color plastic over black as restickering this puzzle would be a pain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:05 pm 

Raw ABS is translucent ivory to white in colour, so even black ABS has pigments added, exactly like all of the other colours. I suspect that any differences perceived are purely subjective. Maybe a double blind test would clear this up?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:40 am 

The close up below can possibly show that my colour plastic WoW is smooth and shiny.

My black version was out of the box more catching than the stickerless.
So far I have lubricated both once and the coloured is turning better by far.

Aesthetics aside ("de gustibus non est disputandum"), I highly recommend coloured plastic, if you want to play with a puzzle that would need small stickers.
I got the black version of Crazy 3x3x3 Plus Saturn first and I'm really glad I got the coloured plastic afterwards, too.
(The other seven were coloured plastic anyway)

Very likely, in the next future coloured plastic versions of the Crazy 3x3x3 become expensive collector items. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:03 am 

I buy stickerless when I can just because it doesn't require me to ever replace stickers and I can travel with it in a backpack and not worry. I also think stickerless has an advantage for puzzles with some tiny surface areas like the crazy planet cubes and WoW. I haven't bought any in a while though so can't attest to quality, but I would honestly sacrifice some plastic smoothness for the other pros I find with stickerless.