Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sticker problem
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 am 

Hi all

lately I solved the Bauhinia. During the solve some small triangular stickers fell off and almost all small stickers are kind of loose. You can push them around with the thumb. The glue was kind of melting just because of the warmth from my hands. Horrible!

So I have 3 possibilities:

1. I glue every single (small) sticker with superglue (will take hours)
2. I buy a new (good) stickerset
3. I put it in the shelf and never solve it again (dont like this alternative)

Now my question. Do anybody got stickers for the bauhinia which really stick? If yes - where can you buy them?

Generally I want to add the following.
I am really glad that so many interesting puzzles are on the market and it is really amazing how fast things developing right now. But the new puzzles often need small stickers. If the sticker quality is low it really takes away so much of fun. Personally I would pay a few dollars more for a puzzle if the sticker quality is great.

Do you know this problem? Please let me know what you think about it.

Keep on puzzling :-)

Post subject: Re: Sticker problem
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:53 pm 

I have the same problem with my crazy 3x3x3s, but the last thing I'd want is to buy quality stickers and have to take them off anyway because I don't use the standard color scheme. I also prefer to get tiles from Cubesmith if they have them for whatever puzzle it is, but their selection of tiles is limited. I have decided that I'll always get stickerless puzzles from now on for all puzzles that are not in a WCA event simply so I don't have to mess with the stickers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:17 am 

I'd just glue them down as it wouldn't take as long as restickering the whole puzzle. Just take some tweezers and remove the sticker, then apply a small dab of super glue where the sticker was, and then place the sticker back on. I've had to do this before on other puzzles and it typically does the trick.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ZemPuzzles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 am 

I do not even remove the tiny stickers, only in cases where they are dislocated.
I use a thick needle, tip it into fluid superglue and put tiny drops onto the edge of the stickers.

I have done this the last time on the small triangles of the Wheel of Wisdom (48 stickers).
It was not such a big effort. (A few weeks later, the coloured plastic version arrived and I prefer that one now :wink: )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:36 am 

Thank you very much for your help :D
As I couldn´t find high quality stickers for the bauhinia I´ll try to glue them.
Maybe it dont takes too long if I use the described technique :-)

I just wonder why some brands use such cheap stickers on really expensive puzzles.
For that reason I prefer the stickerless versions - for sure! If I have the choice I´ll buy them - no matter what :wink: .
Unfortunately I was too late to get the stickerless versions of the 3x3x3 planet series :(
It is frustrating - almost all triangular stickers started to peel of :cry:
I know it is not a big deal to use good stickers (i.e. Meffert).

Please dont get me wrong. I am really happy that so many amazing puzzles getting mass produced now. But I hope that they´ll keep a certain grade of quality standards.

Are there any replacement stickers that you could recomend?

Best regards - Dr. Twist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:14 am 

I think you can get Oliver to make some for you, but he doesn't yet have bauhinia dodecahedron stickers in his shop. You might send him a template to print the stickers with. Hope this works out for you either way you go for the solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:20 pm 

I have found that the material that CubeSmith uses tends to stick better than what Oliver uses. Unfortunately CubeSmith doesn't have replacement stickers for this puzzle (and many many other newer ones) either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:53 pm 

BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
I think you can get Oliver to make some for you, but he doesn't yet have bauhinia dodecahedron stickers in his shop. You might send him a template to print the stickers with. Hope this works out for you either way you go for the solution.

Er, yes he does? I ordered some last month.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:43 pm 

Jared wrote:
BelcherBoy2000 wrote:

Er, yes he does? I ordered some last month.

I have some replacement stickers for the Bauhina. But they are as crappy as the original ones. Are the one that you ordered sticking better?