Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Advertising Trial
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:03 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
Look who just appeared in the ad banner!
Funny how well Google targets us. My advertisements are all related to technology, system administration, programming, etc. The only non-tech advertisement I see is still biotech (for http://www.23andme.com which I'm already a customer of).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:13 pm 

Hey Sandy, has this been a good thing?
Is there a setting to filter out NSFW ads? I keep getting a banner of a cartoon bikini lady with some workout ideas. I'd rather not worry about people seeing tp due to ads.

All jokes aside (and I'm sure they're coming) I wouldn't want Co workers to see it at my desk.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:15 pm 

JasonSmith wrote:
Hey Sandy, has this been a good thing?
Is there a setting to filter out NSFW ads? I keep getting a banner of a cartoon bikini lady with some workout ideas. I'd rather not worry about people seeing tp due to ads.

All jokes aside (and I'm sure they're coming) I wouldn't want Co workers to see it at my desk.

Sometimes I get mature online game ads that pop up too, so you're not the only one... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:44 am 

Disabled adblock for twistypuzzles.

He said you can email him the link for the ad and he'll look at taking it down.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:59 pm 

I truly understand the need to advertise, and am happy with that how it is. (Of course I don't enjoy being advertised to, but I don't mind it for a good cause).

This is more a point of request than anything else: The banner ad at the top of the site is... somewhat obstructive. It doesn't look that good, especially in comparison with the side bar ad. Again, I'd be totally fine if it were left where it is, but maybe you'd consider moving it? Just a bit? To fix the layout?

...please? :]

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 pm 

NType3 wrote:
I truly understand the need to advertise, and am happy with that how it is. (Of course I don't enjoy being advertised to, but I don't mind it for a good cause).

This is more a point of request than anything else: The banner ad at the top of the site is... somewhat obstructive. It doesn't look that good, especially in comparison with the side bar ad. Again, I'd be totally fine if it were left where it is, but maybe you'd consider moving it? Just a bit? To fix the layout?

...please? :]

Positioning of ad banners is a science. Sandy has the main one in a good position and moving it to a less prominent position will certainly affect his earnings. The absolute best place would be at the top of each thread which I am sure would be considered less desirable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:44 pm 

I usually login by hitting tab to get to the "login" at he bottom of the main forum page.
While this used to be immediate there is now a fairly noticeable delay while the ad loads itself, during which time my tabs do not focus the login field.

Although the ads rarely bother or distract me, this delay is a bit annoying as it breaks my login flow.

A small price to pay, however, if it helps keep our forum going. I'd be happy to pay a fee to skip it, though.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm 

Has anyone else been getting lots of animated ads with big bouncy bazongas in them? Not exactly something I associate with puzzles...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:10 pm 

Jared wrote:
Has anyone else been getting lots of animated ads with big bouncy bazongas in them? Not exactly something I associate with puzzles...

Maybe the ads are trying to clue us in on the next big thing? :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:15 pm 

garathnor wrote:
Jared wrote:

I've been having these show up for awhile now, and it's starting to really bug me at this point. :x

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:36 pm 

benpuzzles wrote:
garathnor wrote:
Jared wrote:

I've been having these show up for awhile now, and it's starting to really bug me at this point. :x

Who else is using your computer? Just you?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:25 am 

garathnor wrote:
Who else is using your computer? Just you?

Just me. I don't let anyone else use it for privacy reasons I will not go into... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:23 am 

This is the only downside to these advertisements.
I hear this info has been passed on to Sandy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:28 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
Olivér Nagy wrote:
I don't like ads either, but frankly, nobody has any right to complain about a service that is provided to them for free, with someone else's own personal time and money.

This is the way I feel about the ads.

I would also like to point out that the speedsolving forum has had ads and a donation option at least since I first saw it, which was about 2 years ago. The donation they have is a one time $20 donation, so it is not much at all. You can also get the donation by spending money at the shop on the forum, though selection is limited.

I think that this site (as well as speedsolving.com) would be better off in the long run doing monthly or yearly donations. I don't really like the idea of having everyone's donations added up to get rid of ads for a year, because there would be a few members who would end up paying for the community as a whole. I would prefer each member pays their own exemption from ads payment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:20 am 

Elrog wrote:
KelvinS wrote:
Olivér Nagy wrote:
I don't like ads either, but frankly, nobody has any right to complain about a service that is provided to them for free, with someone else's own personal time and money.

This is the way I feel about the ads.

I didn't mean to complain about the ads! Sorry if I came across that way. I wanted mostly to let Sandy know that certain ads were on the site that he might not approve of.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:42 am 

Jared wrote:
I didn't mean to complain about the ads! Sorry if I came across that way. I wanted mostly to let Sandy know that certain ads were on the site that he might not approve of.
It's quite fine to bring up ads that you find disagreeable or potentially disagreeable. Please check the first post of this thread where Sandy asks you to do just that:
Sandy wrote:
EDIT: Please help me weed out inappropriate ads by reporting them to me. I'd prefer not to try and define a morally relative term such as "inappropriate", so suffice it to say that if you find it inappropriate, others probably do too. Send me an e-mail (PMs are read infrequently) and include the target URL of the ad by right-clicking it and selecting "Copy Shortcut", "Copy Link Address", "Copy Link Location" or similar. This way you can avoid visiting the advertiser's site.
But please also help him help you by emailing him the target URL.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:10 pm 

Jared wrote:

I was not directing that at you nor anybody else. Also, by the service being provided, I was referring to the forum, not the ads (I assumed this is what Kelvin meant as well). I should also add that suggestions lead to forward progress, and a suggestion is not the same as complaining. I think that suggesting that a certain ad be removed is perfectly acceptable, but ranting about how bad the ads are is uncalled for and nothing good comes of it. So far, I have not seen any unreasonable ranting going on here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:00 pm 

For anyone who, like me, didn't immediately know how to email Sandy:

On the TwistyPuzzle menu bar, select More->Contact and then in the "Send Email To:" drop-down menu, select "Sandy".

Generally, the advertisements have been relevant, related to recent Google searches. Some were even worth following. Recently, one advertisement is appearing that is I find objectionable and is clearly an algorithm overreach. It shows suggestive animated content that I don't want running in my sidebar. I used the procedure above to share the link with Sandy.